Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Talamonti vs PL Red vs Kai Li

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108552
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:33 AM

Ok - my first review on WRX...

So I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy the Talamonti shafts on ebay.  Great shaft - great price.  I decided to go with Regular instead of Stiff.  I currently have a stiff PL Red in a Geek Dotcomthis 9 degree and a stiff Kai'li in my G15.  My driver SS is in the mid 90s usually.  So I could realistically go either way, stiff or regular.  I hit a fairly low driver with both of those head/shaft combos - and that doesn't bother me.  Summer in Chicago gets hot, and with my G15/Kai'li Gamer, I'll pound the ball and get quite a bit of run out of a ball that flies 240.  A well struck drive will end up about 275 with the roll.  However they average ending up about 240 out there...hopefully in the fairway.

With the 9 degree G15/Kai'Li, my tendency is to have too much sidespin.  The 10 shots I took on the launch monitor averaged about 1200 rpm of sidespin.  That robs me of a lot of distance - and that roll I talked about - it often takes me too far off the fairway to the right unless I deliberately play it that way.  The average launch angle was 11 degrees.  I think I need to get that up a bit.  Carry was 225 and roll was 30.  7 of 10 were in the fairway.  The geek gets me a bit more carry and a bit less sidespin (235 with 1000 rpms)  But the PL Red Stiff shaft wasn't working for me.  Only 2 of those 10 were in the fairway.  I pushed 8 of them to the right.  

So I put the REGULAR Talamonti into the Geek driver...what a difference...the PL Red in Stiff was way too much for me.  with the regular, my swing speed increased 3 mph average over the 10 drives.  I put 8 of 10 in the fairway, 5 of them with virtually no side spin.  Average carry was 250.  Roll was 25.  Launch angle was 14 degrees.  I can't wait to see how this plays on the course, in particular in a month when the weather is more suited for golf.

I am wondering how the Talamonti regular would play in my G15.  Unfortunately Phil is out of them.  If anyone has an extra Talamonti regular driver shaft, let me know...  If not  - it may have to wait until he starts selling them again!!!

I also bought the FW shaft in regular that I put in my F11 TI 13.5.  If people find this useful, I'll try and do a review of that once I get it out to the range and compare it to my Burner 3W, my V Steel and my Adams Super Hybrid 15 degree.

The bottom line - for $30, this is an awesome shaft.  Get them while he has some left at this price - you won't regret it.  Also, a lessons I learned is to not be so vain to think I need to play a stiff - just because I am big and strong.  Swing speed isn't directly related to size and strength.  You can benefit from a bit more give in the shafts.  I may grab a few of the regular FWs just to put away - nothing to shaft right now, but I'm a Ho...eventually I'll tinker with something.

Edited by jabrch, 16 April 2011 - 12:49 AM.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 JJK947

JJK947

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36028
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:33 AM

Nice review, thanks.  How did the backspin numbers compare with the PL Red and the Talamonti?

Taylormade M1 440 9.5 - Speeder 7.3 TS

Taylormade SLDR TS 14 - Speeder 8.3 TS

Taylormade P790 UDI - HZRDUS Black 85

Srixon Z945 3-PW - Nippon SP Blue X

Mizuno MP T7 54.08 - DG Tour X100

Mizuno MP T7 60.06 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

WITB Link

#3 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

View PostJJK947, on 16 April 2011 - 02:33 AM, said:

Nice review, thanks.  How did the backspin numbers compare with the PL Red and the Talamonti?

Neither ballooned on me, but the PL Red averages 2200 and the Talamonti averaged 2600.  I was getting it higher up, and longer flight.
Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

#4 JJK947

JJK947

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

View Postjabrch, on 16 April 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

Neither ballooned on me, but the PL Red averages 2200 and the Talamonti averaged 2600.  I was getting it higher up, and longer flight.

Still good numbers though, probably better.  That is good confirmation that the Talamonti's have fairly low spin as your's was regular compared to the stiff PL Red.

I would also love to hear the fairway review as UPS messed up my shipment and I won't be able to hit it for a week or so.

WITB Link

#5 swanry30

swanry30

Lights Out

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14598
  • Ebay ID:swanry30
GolfWRX Likes : 841

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hmmm.  First time reviewing huh???  That my friend is what you call a walk off homerun!  Like your flex advice too - sometimes the softer flex allows the club to work for you instead of you working the shaft!

TaylorMade | M3 TOUR 8.5* 460 | PX 6.5 HZRDUS "Hand Crafted" T1100 75g
TaylorMade | M4 TOUR 15* | PX 6.5 HZRDUS "Hand Crafted" BLACK 85g
TaylorMade | P790 UDI 17* | Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100TX
TaylorMade | P750 Tour Proto 3-PW | PX 6.5
Callaway | "Customs" Mack Daddy Forged Slate 54 R grind - 58 R grind | PX 6.5
Scotty Cameron - MOTO "Encinitas Gallery" Newport 34" 350g
Bridgestone| Tour B XS

WITB Link

instagram | https://www.instagra.../ryan.swanberg/

#6 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:24 PM

View PostJJK947, on 16 April 2011 - 10:08 AM, said:

Still good numbers though, probably better.  That is good confirmation that the Talamonti's have fairly low spin as your's was regular compared to the stiff PL Red.

I would also love to hear the fairway review as UPS messed up my shipment and I won't be able to hit it for a week or so.

I'll do it later tonight-  after kids are asleep - but here's a preview - I don't know if it is the Adams F11 13.5 Titanium head, or the Talamonti shaft, of the combo, but I think I am going to kick my wife out of the house and get married to my 3 W.
Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

#7 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

View Postswanry30, on 16 April 2011 - 11:10 AM, said:

Hmmm.  First time reviewing huh???  That my friend is what you call a walk off homerun!  Like your flex advice too - sometimes the softer flex allows the club to work for you instead of you working the shaft!

Thanks so much - I was somewhat afraid of calling it a review.  Glad you liked.  I learned a bit from doing it- and will do a bit more research/homework next time before the review....  but either way - thanks for the feedback.  Glad it was helpful.
Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

#8 JJK947

JJK947

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

View Postjabrch, on 16 April 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

I'll do it later tonight-  after kids are asleep - but here's a preview - I don't know if it is the Adams F11 13.5 Titanium head, or the Talamonti shaft, of the combo, but I think I am going to kick my wife out of the house and get married to my 3 W.

Can't wait to hear about that.... not many reviews of this in a fairway wood so far.

WITB Link

#9 Shug Wy Tee

Shug Wy Tee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115463
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

Looking forward to the F11 review, I am waiting on FW shaft and if the fubuki doesnt work in my F11 the Talamonti is going in

#10 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:45 PM

Ok gang - so here's the scoop on this one....

I'm not a great fairway wood hitter.  I've had several, but most only lasted a week or two before I quit on them.  It's a lack of skill on my part (20 hcp) and a lack of persistence.  I hit my hybrids ok - so they serve the function of the shorter FW woods.  But the truth is I am usually jealous when I play a guy who can hit 250 off the deck, and who can hit a par 5 in 2.  I've tried most of them.  The only two that ever really persisted in my bag were the Taylormade V-Steel and the Taylormade Burner 07.  I sold the VSteel, and regretted that ever since.  The guy who bought it from me still taunts me every time we play... there were days I offered him twice what he paid me - and he still turned me down.  The Burner is in my trunk - but it got replaced with hybrids.  Between them, I had a half dozen different failed 3/5 Ws, Callaway, Ping, Titleist, and some lesser known names also... just couldn't hit em consistently striaght enough or long enough.  Recently I went to an Adams Super Hybrid 15 degree.  It's effectively a lower profile 3W.  The only FW wood I have yet to try that I wanted to was the G15 4 W.  One of these days, I'll try that.  

Then along came the Adams F11.  I first hit the regular F11 and liked it.  It was low profile, so didn't feel like a small driver.  It was easy to hit off the deck, and it sat just slightly open - looked good to me.  I thought about it - until I heard a Titanium model was coming out.  That would have to be it...  At the same time as I found a great deal on the BST on the F11 strong 3 (13.5) TI, I bought the Talamonti shafts.  As I said above, I decided to admit that my swing speed (low to mid 90s with the driver) doesn't really warrant the stiff shaft and could benefit from a bit more give. So I got the regular flex.  The combo looks pretty cool.  You can see the shiny silver hozzle swallow up the pinkish/reddish shaft into the black head.  It's a nice transition.  Then - there's the slot...I was worried that it would bother me - but it doesn't.  I hardly noticed it.  Maybe on a sunny day it might irk me - but I doubt it.

I took a few swings to loosen up.  I like the fell of the shaft.  The Talamonti FW wood shaft felt as good to me as the driver shaft.  Wasn't whippy, but not boardy either.  Was able to take nice easy swings and literally feel the power loading in the shaft.  I was ready to go.

Today was about 42 degrees with a cold hard rain and a 30mph wind coming right at me on the range.  But I really wanted to have a go with this - so I did anyhow.  Let's forget about the actual distance I hit the ball.  I hope to not play all that often in this kind of oppresive conditions.   Since it is a strong 3, I started teeing it up just a little bit - helping myself out.  I imagine using this on some very long par 3s from the tips and on a lot of short par 4s off the tee.   I hit 10 balls of a short tee.  9 of them were good clean balls.  So we can discard the 10th.  The combination of the loading action with this shaft, the very responsive titanium face and the velocity slot, I was hitting real bombs.  For the first time in my life, I heard that sweet whizzing sound as my 3W launched.  The coolest thing (other than the weather) was that I was hitting them STRAIGHT.  No fade...no slice...just flat straight bombs.  I'll be honest with you - I think I hit some of them as long as my average drives with my G15/Kai'li.  This thing ROCKS!

So then I took it off the tee and down to the deck.  This was going to be a real test for me - a guy who plays a low ball with his woods.  The results were mixed.  I hit a few low screamers....but even those seemed to have sufficient distance/power to not kill me.  I sliced 1.  But I hit about 5 really nice ones.  It reminded me of my VSteel...and I can't say I've liked a club other than my G15 that much since.  

Club head Pros - Low profile, light weight, cuts through air and grass well and the face is VERY responsive/long/powerful.  The 3+ has a great deal of versatility if you can hit it off the deck.  I believe it will be every bit as long as many drivers out there.  No - not going to outhit a 8 or 9 degree R11, 910, G15, etc. swung by a guy with a 110 mph swing.  But for a slower swing speed, if you play a driver from a few seasons ago, in a 10.5 loft, you might find the F11 TI, with the right shaft, to be an effective club off the tee.  I am probably going to replace my Super Hybrid 15 in the bag with this.  It feels significantly longer, and more versatile.

Shaft pros - The Talamonti R fairway wood shaft impressed me as much as the driver shaft did in my Geek DCT.  For $25, this is highway robbery.  I'm glad I went with the regular flex - it fits my swing.  I need to stop trying to overswing - hopefully this will remind me of that.  I could feel the power loading in the shaft.  I've never felt that before in any of the stock FW shafts I have had.  It certainly is a low spin shaft that would go well for anyone who has a SS under 95 with the driver and wants to focus on keeping the ball in the fairway.

Cons - the weather in Chicago sucks right now - so I couldn't effectively tell you how far the ball was going.  I'm hoping to get out again next week early to the range if the weather is nicer - I'll update this with distances.  It's not cheap at all.  But find me a high end titanium fairway wood that is...  It's not adjustable.  I guess that's the biggy....I really considered a 910F.  But the truth is, the 910 head felt much more slow to me and I didn't have the same "feel" when I hit it.  It's a great stick - I'm not hating...it just wasn't for me.

So....Talamonti...YES....Adams F11....YES

Hope this helps - I'm a newbie to writing reviews - I'd welcome any feedback so that I can do it better next time.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Shug Wy Tee

Shug Wy Tee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115463
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you're not all that happy with F11 / Talamonti combo so I am willing to take it off your hands. Once again great review, enjoy your find

#12 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

View PostShug Wy Tee, on 17 April 2011 - 05:55 AM, said:

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you're not all that happy with F11 / Talamonti combo so I am willing to take it off your hands. Once again great review, enjoy your find

It has been a long time since I really liked a 3W.  I've tried - they just never felt comfortable.  The titanium face on this one is explosive!  And the Talamonti shafts are a nice compliment to them.
Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

#13 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

From Phil Talamonti...A Thank You to all.  (Mods - if this isn't allowed - please let me know)

Dear jabrch,

Perhaps  a newbie to writing reviews...but not to writing. A wonderfully written  piece, and I say that not because it is my product you reviewed. That  was simply great writing and a captivating story start to finish. I hope  you are involved in the field of writing in some way, or are at least  in a profession that allows you to use that talent. Really  extraordinary.

So, about the shafts...glad you like them. For me,  one of the great thrills about being involved in the golf business  since my earliest days in it, is the opportunity to help players.  Reading your review and understanding the joy and confidence the new  3-wood has provided to your game is very gratifying to me. While the  folks at GolfWRX do not allow me to post or communicate directly with  players through their site since I am not an advertiser, I am able to  read most of the kind words that many of you have written about my  shafts and about working with me. The pleasure has been mine. From what  I've read and heard, I know that many of you would like me to continue  designing and manufacturing shafts, and I am strongly considering it. If  I believe I can sell enough shafts, and at the right price to make it  financially viable, I will jump back in. I am weighing it at this time  and should come to a decision soon. Certainly reading what you and  others have written has not softened my interest.

You are welcome  to post this return e-mail on GolfWRX if you would like as my blanket  "Thank You" to you and everyone else who has had such positive and  supportive things to say. I do appreciate it. Know that if I do decide  to continue manufacturing, it will have been largely due to the feedback  you all have provided and the fact that I have enjoyed working with you  all as much as I have. It's been fun. I will somehow get word out  regarding any future plans I may have to go forward with manufacturing.  Thanks again everyone!

Regards,
Phil

And no - I'm not a writer by trade...But thanks for the kind words!

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors