Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

bore through hosel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ziggityz83

ziggityz83

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62441
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

how much stiffer is a shaft in a bore through hosel than a non bore through??  

how much stiffer will a shaft be in my 905R with a bore through than in my Sumo 5000 with a non bore through hosel??

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 680

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

It depends. Do you intend to buy a new shaft and do a fresh install or use the existing shaft? Basically if you are using a new shaft, it will play the difference between the bore depths. If the thru-bore is 3" for example and the standard bore is 1.5", it will play as if it has been tipped 1.5" - BUT, you have to take into account the butt trim too. The tipping alone does not have as much impact on overall flex- it generally makes the club head more soild and tightens up the normal playing qualities, but doesn't impact as much as leaving the butt section (the stiffest part of the shaft) in the total length of the shaft.
For example: install a shaft into a 3" bore-thru head and it play a total length of 45" - install the same shaft with a 1.5" insertion depth into a standard bore and the same shaft will be 43.5" to play the same length. The bore-thru is not stiffer because of the deeper insertion, it is stiffer because the overall length contains more of the butt section of the shaft - more butt section is trimmed off for the standard bore making it play weaker.
It is important not to confuse insertion depth with BBGM or bottom of bore to ground measurement. Insertion depth does not have the same impact on flex as BBGM. A head with a 2" bore depth and a BBGM of 1.25"  will play at the same flex as a head with 1.5" bore depth and a similar 1.25" BBGM. The greater bore depth may give a more solid feel at impact, but the flex will be the same. Bore depth does not stiffen a shaft - BBGM does.
If you're using a shaft pull from the Sumo to do the 905R, you will end up with a driver that is too short if going bore-thru. Therefore you will need to do a blind bore install and it will play the same flex.
For a new shaft install assuming the same length, a bore-thru could play up to a full flex stiffer.
Hope this clears up any confusion. I still get it wrong now and then :russian_roulette:
The best advice to get a shaft to play the same flex is to keep the BBGM the same - this means a blind bore for the 905R.

#3 ziggityz83

ziggityz83

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

View Postjaskanski, on 15 April 2011 - 12:49 PM, said:

It depends. Do you intend to buy a new shaft and do a fresh install or use the existing shaft? Basically if you are using a new shaft, it will play the difference between the bore depths. If the thru-bore is 3" for example and the standard bore is 1.5", it will play as if it has been tipped 1.5" - BUT, you have to take into account the butt trim too. The tipping alone does not have as much impact on overall flex- it generally makes the club head more soild and tightens up the normal playing qualities, but doesn't impact as much as leaving the butt section (the stiffest part of the shaft) in the total length of the shaft.
For example: install a shaft into a 3" bore-thru head and it play a total length of 45" - install the same shaft with a 1.5" insertion depth into a standard bore and the same shaft will be 43.5" to play the same length. The bore-thru is not stiffer because of the deeper insertion, it is stiffer because the overall length contains more of the butt section of the shaft - more butt section is trimmed off for the standard bore making it play weaker.
It is important not to confuse insertion depth with BBGM or bottom of bore to ground measurement. Insertion depth does not have the same impact on flex as BBGM. A head with a 2" bore depth and a BBGM of 1.25"  will play at the same flex as a head with 1.5" bore depth and a similar 1.25" BBGM. The greater bore depth may give a more solid feel at impact, but the flex will be the same. Bore depth does not stiffen a shaft - BBGM does.
If you're using a shaft pull from the Sumo to do the 905R, you will end up with a driver that is too short if going bore-thru. Therefore you will need to do a blind bore install and it will play the same flex.
For a new shaft install assuming the same length, a bore-thru could play up to a full flex stiffer.
Hope this clears up any confusion. I still get it wrong now and then :russian_roulette:
The best advice to get a shaft to play the same flex is to keep the BBGM the same - this means a blind bore for the 905R.

yes, definately clears it up.....looks like I've got some more research to do!

#4 ziggityz83

ziggityz83

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

OK...so here are some measurements:

Sumo:  
plays 45"
BBTG is 1 1/2"
Bore is 1 1/2"

905R
want it to play 45"
BBTG is 0"
Bore is 3.5" including the hosel

When I got the sumo I had an inch trimmed off the butt to make it play 45"

So if I have the shaft put in 2 1/2" into the 905, cap the rest off, and have them trim it down the rest from the butt to make it 45" will the shafts perform the same in both clubs???   ***I may be thinking about this WAY too much***

#5 desaille

desaille

FU GolfWRX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59872
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

There are also some shafts that have a longer tip for bore-thru heads so they dont go up a flex when fully installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors