Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

follow through chicken wing

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 A.G.Blade

A.G.Blade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113847
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:59 AM

Looked at my swing on video last night and what a left arm chicken wing on the follow through!!! It was unreal.  What causes that to happen?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:21 AM

View PostA.G.Blade, on 13 April 2011 - 05:59 AM, said:

Looked at my swing on video last night and what a left arm chicken wing on the follow through!!! It was unreal.  What causes that to happen?

Lack of connection on the downswing.To correct this place a small nerf ball deep inside your left armpit.Swing without dropping the ball.This drill will help  connect the upper arm to your chest at impact and beyond,thus eliminating the chicken wing.

#3 Gargoyle

Gargoyle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34040
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:27 AM

View Postrussc, on 13 April 2011 - 07:21 AM, said:

View PostA.G.Blade, on 13 April 2011 - 05:59 AM, said:

Lack of connection on the downswing.To correct this place a small nerf ball deep inside your left armpit.Swing without dropping the ball.This drill will help  connect the upper arm to your chest at impact and beyond,thus eliminating the chicken wing.

stalling the rotation will also cause chiken wing.

#4 iCollector

iCollector

Collector

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25508
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

I agree on the incomplete "finish" if you don't mind calling it that. If your torsional rotation of your upper body slows down, you still need to get to your finish. When you slow down there is almost no way not to come around into a chicken wing. Think about the golf swing and what should occur... it makes sense.

#5 mchepp

mchepp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30916
  • Ebay ID:mchepp007
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

For me in my swing it is a reaction to other things being wrong in my swing. The chicken wing just meant I made a compensation somewhere for something else.

#6 A.G.Blade

A.G.Blade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:16 PM

thx, will try the nerf AND speeding up torso rotation.  I cant help but feel its tied into my reverse "c" finish

#7 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:3.3
GolfWRX Likes : 653

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

View PostA.G.Blade, on 13 April 2011 - 04:16 PM, said:

thx, will try the nerf AND speeding up torso rotation.  I cant help but feel its tied into my reverse "c" finish

I don't see how putting a nerf under your left armpit would help this, and in fact, have the totally opposite result.  Chicken wing is lack of extension.

#8 Reidman

Reidman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81356
  • Ebay ID:reidman12
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

View Postlarrybud, on 13 April 2011 - 09:20 PM, said:

View PostA.G.Blade, on 13 April 2011 - 04:16 PM, said:

I don't see how putting a nerf under your left armpit would help this, and in fact, have the totally opposite result.  Chicken wing is lack of extension.

+1...more extension down the line will remedy this.
Ping i25 10.5 Matrix White Tie Firm
Adams Tight Lies 14, 19 Bassara S
Adams a12 Pro Irons 4-LW KBS Tour R
SeeMore mFGP 33"
Handicap 4.2
Srizon Z-Star

#9 Lefthook

Lefthook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101445
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

You get a chicken wing when your arms swing is out of sync with your shoulder turn, such that your hands come down and forward too soon, and you run out right arm and get too much left arm to keep the swing going. You need to treat your left arm as a rope that you keep stretch for as long as possible into the follow through.

If it's any comfort, you're in good company with Lee Westwood and Jamie Sadlowski. They both chicken wing their way through impact.

#10 martinez

martinez

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67534
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:19 AM

The chicken wing is really tied in to the left knee flex in 'most' cases....because the left arm can easily begin to bend as the left leg straightens. So the key is ....where are you in your rotation when the left knee begins to really straighten. If your hips are still relatively square and you straighten your left leg abruptly you WILL chicken wing it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 A.G.Blade

A.G.Blade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:09 AM

Thanks for all your responses.  I guess if Lee isn't worried about it then I shouldn't either!.  Lack of extension makes sense, my right arm cannot fully striaghten, Im not sure why but its been that way my whole life ( full extension about 160 degrees).  I did try the nerf ball last night with just swings and it felt very "short" in the follow through.  Ithink if I got to my left side better it might help everything...but thats another problem and another post!

#12 Legend McSniff

Legend McSniff

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114268
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:50 AM

You are also most likely not releasing fully & naturally through the ball allowing the forearms to turn over. If your forearms turn over then you cannot have a chicken wing. More than likely there is an element of 'holding on' through impact.

Best thing (as for most fixes) is the good old 9 to 3 swing. Toe pointing skyward at both ends of the swing.

Say goodbye to the chicken win and hello to more distance.

#13 A.G.Blade

A.G.Blade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:01 AM

View PostLegend McSniff, on 15 April 2011 - 06:50 AM, said:

You are also most likely not releasing fully & naturally through the ball allowing the forearms to turn over. If your forearms turn over then you cannot have a chicken wing. More than likely there is an element of 'holding on' through impact.

Best thing (as for most fixes) is the good old 9 to 3 swing. Toe pointing skyward at both ends of the swing.

Say goodbye to the chicken win and hello to more distance.

Thanks, will try that one for sure; the pitching range in my yard will be ready soon, seems like a perfect drill for that

#14 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

I think it's interesting that the finish is really just a result of what happened on the backswing and then prior to impact.  At that point, you are going to get whatever finish you deserve to get, it just happens, it can't really be forced or changed.  I notice on my best drives, that club shaft just wraps so nicely against the back of my neck on the finish.  And on my irons, my best shots end up with my right arm fully extending almost like a piston. For me, keeping that left arm straight, making a full turn, and being more flat than steep at the top, are what make the difference.  That, and not letting those hands take over coming into impact.

#15 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 993

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

A chicken wing is the golfers attempt to hold off their own flip.  Casting and early release - and no body rotation all cause the cast/flip and the chicken wing must happen or the golfer will miss the ball.

#16 AcesAZ

AcesAZ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17643
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

You probably stall your body rotation and flip. Keep everything moving into the finish. Focus on the core.

#17 caryk

caryk

Come to the dark side ... we have cookies!!! ;)

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4000
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

View Postmchepp, on 13 April 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

For me in my swing it is a reaction to other things being wrong in my swing. The chicken wing just meant I made a compensation somewhere for something else.
+1

#18 MizunoJunky

MizunoJunky

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110089
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

From what my golf instructor told me, one of the big reasons for a chicken Wing that amateurs, like myself face, was that we are to steep and off plane coming into the ball. I was lifting my arms too much on my backswing. Being over plane does not give us room to follow thru properly. He never gave me any drills to correct the chicken wing, he just told me to try and match my arms and shoulders on the backswing and simply rotate thru and VOILA!! Chicken Wing was gone and a lot more distance and accuracy!

PM me if you'd like more help!

#19 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 993

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

View PostKevin N., on 25 September 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:

From what my golf instructor told me....He never gave me any drills to correct the chicken wing, he just told me to try and match my arms and shoulders on the backswing and simply rotate thru and VOILA!!

This advice is waaay undervalued by players.  Unison in the swing is key.  Matching arms to shoulders back , through, at impact, and at finish is HUGE....

People get tied up in hips leading the downswing, arms lifting, dropping hands into slot, finishing high and around...blah...

Unison swinging will improve your ball striking better than anything else I've ever worked on.

Thanks for repeating this one...

Edited by station2station, 26 September 2011 - 05:25 PM.

#20 MizunoJunky

MizunoJunky

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110089
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:01 AM

View Poststation2station, on 26 September 2011 - 05:24 PM, said:

View PostKevin N., on 25 September 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:

From what my golf instructor told me....He never gave me any drills to correct the chicken wing, he just told me to try and match my arms and shoulders on the backswing and simply rotate thru and VOILA!!

This advice is waaay undervalued by players.  Unison in the swing is key.  Matching arms to shoulders back , through, at impact, and at finish is HUGE....

People get tied up in hips leading the downswing, arms lifting, dropping hands into slot, finishing high and around...blah...

Unison swinging will improve your ball striking better than anything else I've ever worked on.

Thanks for repeating this one...

Thanks!

I believe that the steeper the backswing, or the steeper the plane, the more hand manipulation there must be thru the impact zone to avoid the chicken wing follow thru.

Two examples that come to mind for me are Adam Scott and Jason Day's old swing. They used to be a lot steeper with their hands on the backswing, forcing them to manipulate the club thru the impact zone.

Now they both have a shallower backswing and their arms are more in front of the chest which allows them to simply rotate thru and really get on that left side for crisper shots.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors