Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Del Mar putter

38 replies to this topic

#1 ak7776

ak7776

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42921
  • Ebay ID:dj7776
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

Hi, i am very curious as why my 2 favorite players are switching to a "weird" mid mallet heel shafted putter! Tiger is used nike method 003 which is similar to a Del Mar putter. And Mcilroy just dumped his fastback for this! I have been playing a SC NP2 blade all my life. feels comfortable than any other putters i tried. but been trying out different putters recently due to a slump where i felt like i am fighting to keep the blade on line. my natural error is a push. so when i fight it, sometimes its a straight pull!! All this makes my putting stroke unnatural. So went to try the Del Mar despite finding the shape very uncomfortable. But it felt somewhat "right" or "good"! Please, anyone can care to share their views? Any particular reason why they made the change, and could well explain my feel??? Need some help here guys...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 WesleyD

WesleyD

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122476

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

It helps with a push supposedly because the heel shaft aspect brings the toe around better.   I don't know if I believe that, but I was having trouble with short putts, and I felt like I wanted something that would help me see the line better, so I switched from my newport 2 type putter to the method 003.   It's a little firmer, and at first it was hard to get used to, but I practiced with it a lot, just had a round with 28 putts.  It's staying in the bag now.

#3 prestiege

prestiege

M to the I to Z to the UNO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88848
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

ever since i tried this type of putter in the store, i just fell in love.  something about the heel shafted style just works for me.  i think it has helped my chipping from the fringe as well.  every other club is heel shafted so why not the putter.  i put straighter and have been chipping those short ones straighter every since using one.  the heel shafted putters just flow right into the irons.  i currently have a method 3 and cleveland classic bronze 2, the new ghost Maranello will be on its way, and as soon as there is a black dalmar added to the consumer line up one of those will be on its way as well.  i dont know if it has to do with opening and closing the face of the putter, i have a kombi S that i put straight with but i have a hard time controlling distance.  an anser style im just so inconsistant with, push pull straight, i never know whats gonna come out.  maybe its just the larger heads, i dont really know, i know the corza ghost doesnt work well for me at all, but if a teaching pro told me the delmar style wasnt a good fit for my stroke i would tell him/her to get lost because this is what works best for me.

#4 ak7776

ak7776

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

Agreed. same problem here. whenever i am facing a short putt, i really didn't have any confidence to sink in. worried that is going left or right, anyway but straight!! tried a cs putter. find it too weird to putt, a feeling of shaft hitting the ball! tried the corza ghost, my brain just could not sync a double bend shaft. same thing with the fastback. wanted to love it some much, but just couldn't reconcile the alignment with the ball. so stuck with the blade, which means good lag for long putts but sweating over short putts! i just felt sick and tired of fighting my natural putting stroke! thought that i should start with the del mar/nike method 003.

#5 indyvai

indyvai

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51121
  • Ebay ID:indyvai
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

View Postak7776, on 03 April 2011 - 10:58 AM, said:

Agreed. same problem here. whenever i am facing a short putt, i really didn't have any confidence to sink in. worried that is going left or right, anyway but straight!! tried a cs putter. find it too weird to putt, a feeling of shaft hitting the ball! tried the corza ghost, my brain just could not sync a double bend shaft. same thing with the fastback. wanted to love it some much, but just couldn't reconcile the alignment with the ball. so stuck with the blade, which means good lag for long putts but sweating over short putts! i just felt sick and tired of fighting my natural putting stroke! thought that i should start with the del mar/nike method 003.

Go see someone to take a look at your stroke before you start self medicating... what you do and what you think you do could be 2 completely different things.  I fell in love with a heel shafted putter in the offseason... decided to make the switch... but further analysis showed I was better with my old configuration... bollocks!

#6 ak7776

ak7776

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

View Postindyvai, on 03 April 2011 - 11:14 AM, said:

View Postak7776, on 03 April 2011 - 10:58 AM, said:

Go see someone to take a look at your stroke before you start self medicating... what you do and what you think you do could be 2 completely different things.  I fell in love with a heel shafted putter in the offseason... decided to make the switch... but further analysis showed I was better with my old configuration... bollocks!

Thanks. just trying to understand the rationale behind the switch of the top players. and see if it applies to my situation. surely, getting another pair of trained eyes is very useful. but also trying to understand the full picture in my own mind.

#7 Golfer4Life

Golfer4Life

Golfer4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97873
  • Ebay ID:hrfdez1966
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:11 PM

In Tiger's case he was very clear stating that one of the main reasons he switched was to match Foley's method of the golf swing.  He stated that he wanted everything to match and feel the same, including the putter.

#8 MCCA

MCCA

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2694
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

I just switched from a Yes Dawn & Rife Abaco to the California Del Mar, was reason was the dawn i keep pushing putts, the Abaco was very good but too light, so i choose the Del mar with heaiver weights, and love it also the Del Mar still was smaller than both my Rife & Yes which i like.

#9 pitbull808

pitbull808

Putter Hoarder

• Marshals
  • 8,524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

In my opinion, it's just a cyclical thing. If you look back through the history of putters used most often there were bullseye type blades, 8802/Ironmasters, Anser styles, Ray Cook/Bobby Grace Fat Lady mallets, Anser Styles, Huge Face balanced Mallets, Anser Styles, 8802/Del Mar type styles. Like anyone else, I'm sure the Pro's see something that's working for someone and like us, just want to try what the other guy is finding success with.

#10 ak7776

ak7776

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:32 AM

so its a psychological reason more than a technical reason? always thought that the pros will put more rationalizing/thinking/theories into a big change in their game! Have read that tiger wanted "a better release of the putter" And golfer4life mentioned that tiger wanted to match his putter stroke to the rest of his swings. wonder if anyone could care to elaborate? having trouble making sense of that.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 mjtoal

mjtoal

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118783
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:16 AM

Rory used a Del Mar (then called a Del Mar 3.5) before the Fastback, so it is not a new thing for him, simply a return to a previous preference.

The same design (in the Wilson TPA XVIII) was a favourite of Nick Faldo, and Darren Clarke also used one (a Cameron) for a long time before getting into Red X and other models. I have seen one of Clarke's and it was very toe weighted, and you could feel the toe really swing round during the stroke, supporting the argument made above for anti-push.
Titleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
Titleist 913FD, UST Elements Earth
Titleist 585H, Matrix Altus
Mizuno MP4, C-taper
Bettinardi DASS Tour Only
Scor 50, 55, 60, KBS Tour

#12 makigrl

makigrl

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73566

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:32 AM

I guess its good they are not Left Handed. I was looking at the Titleist catalog. I noticed how out of 17 Soctty Cameron putters only 4 are left handed. They offer 1 newport, 2 of the kombi models and one other left handed.

#13 villa

villa

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9942
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:33 AM

View Postpitbull808, on 03 April 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

In my opinion, it's just a cyclical thing. If you look back through the history of putters used most often there were bullseye type blades, 8802/Ironmasters, Anser styles, Ray Cook/Bobby Grace Fat Lady mallets, Anser Styles, Huge Face balanced Mallets, Anser Styles, 8802/Del Mar type styles. Like anyone else, I'm sure the Pro's see something that's working for someone and like us, just want to try what the other guy is finding success with.
Absolutely 100% correct.

Go back 4 years and tell me how many tour pro's were using TPA XVIII style putters?
Not a long list.

In fact, go back 4 years and tell me how many OEM's or putter manufacturers offered them in their line up?
An even shorter list.

Putter styles go in and out of fashion and the TPA XVIII is the new black (or white!)

#14 villa

villa

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:35 AM

View Postmjtoal, on 04 April 2011 - 02:16 AM, said:

The same design (in the Wilson TPA XVIII) was a favourite of Nick Faldo
It's not that important but I'm fairly sure Faldo used a Taylor Made TPA XVIII?

#15 Bad9

Bad9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 217

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:29 AM

View Postvilla, on 04 April 2011 - 05:35 AM, said:

Other than the same it was the same putter.

Ping G25 10.5/Graman UL440 r flex
Founders Forged Ti 4w//Xcaliber FW
KE4 3h&5h/Xcaliber HY regular flex
i15 5-U/Xcaliber regular flex
Gorge 54&58/Xcaliber regular flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

#16 villa

villa

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:43 AM

View PostBad9, on 04 April 2011 - 06:29 AM, said:

View Postvilla, on 04 April 2011 - 05:35 AM, said:

Other than the same it was the same putter.
Very true mate. As I say, not that important.

Their values are significantly different though!

#17 ak7776

ak7776

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:56 AM

So why are players finding success with the del mar? Confidence? Putter release?? Or it's just a trend and actually their success was only in their minds...

#18 villa

villa

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:08 AM

View Postak7776, on 04 April 2011 - 06:56 AM, said:

So why are players finding success with the del mar? Confidence? Putter release?? Or it's just a trend and actually their success was only in their minds...
Define success?

To the best of my knowledge, Tiger and Rory (to use your original example) have dramatically different putting strokes. Tiger has an 'arc' stroke while Rory is much more straight back, straight through. Theoretically, the heel shafted Del Mar style should suit Tiger's stroke but it's not that simple. My opinion is that they tried it and it feels right. Nothing more, nothing less.

#19 jebb

jebb

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3534
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:10 AM

I agree with Pitbull.

And remember in the early 90s when loads of players followed Nick Faldo in putting with his version of this putter (Taylor Made/ Wilson TPA model). Next thing they seemed to be everywhere because the top player used one.
That Aint Billy Bob!!

#20 ak7776

ak7776

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:26 AM

View Postvilla, on 04 April 2011 - 07:08 AM, said:

View Postak7776, on 04 April 2011 - 06:56 AM, said:

Define success?

To the best of my knowledge, Tiger and Rory (to use your original example) have dramatically different putting strokes. Tiger has an 'arc' stroke while Rory is much more straight back, straight through. Theoretically, the heel shafted Del Mar style should suit Tiger's stroke but it's not that simple. My opinion is that they tried it and it feels right. Nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed. think that hit the nail for me. " felt right". Mayb be good or bad for some depending onthe definition of success. After all, like u said, it's not that simple to explain. For me, I just know it felt right. But hope it don't go right. Haha

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 johnnythunders

johnnythunders

Major Winner

• 1,125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36861
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

Switched end of last year to heel shafted after I quit trying to do the straight back and thru with face balanced putters and went to arch, read Utley's book and practiced all winter and it's more natural just turn and burn. No more wiggle tyring to keep it straight. Natural.
Cobra Encore ZL xCaliber WD50/Tour SL
Mizuno JPX 825 xp r300
Callaway X2 Hot 4/7 Diamana Blue 63
Callaway x2 5/6 hybrid Tour Blue
1993 Merit SW /V-line Tank Crusier
WITB Link

#22 sbeduckman

sbeduckman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120386
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

I have an arc stroke and putt with a #9 style putter well (as I should).  I have a few, and prefer those with 1/2 shaft offset.  I can't putt with a plumbers neck to save my life, and fight pulls when I go with that much offset.  My current favorite is the Cleveland BRZ series....it's officially knocked a Del mar out of the bag.

#23 kekoa

kekoa

Hall of Fame

• 6,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

funny you post this.  Having played newport 2 plumber necks all my life I just switched to a del mar bb. My first round I made 4 birdies in a row on the back side.  These were all putts outside of 15 feet.  I was really pleased at how the putter lines up and just gave me a lot of confidence.  I feel the mallet style really shines with putts within 5 feet which is where i normally struggle.  I also have a ghost MA-81 to try out.

#24 cardoustie

cardoustie

-24 in a 2 man scramble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
GolfWRX Likes : 746

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

I too moved from a Yes DONNA to a Del Mar buttonback
Chopped it from 35 to 33.5", added the white IOMIC mid size, tossed in some 25 gram weights and it is MONEY, especially on the shorter ones
brings me back to the feel of the Wilson 8802 blade I used in college golf 20yrs ago, loving the heel shaft at the moment
And man o man does the insert feel nice on the button back
Ping Rapture V2 SPDR-660tr X
Cally 5 Deep Fuji TS 869 X
Ping G25 7 wood Fuji TS 952 X
Ping G25h 23* Fuji TS 904HBx
Ping s55 5-PW. Nippon 1150x GH Tour
TVD M's >50* sm4, 55,60,64 Sm2
WITB Link

#25 bananapel

bananapel

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124637
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

I have an Odyssey #9, del mar type, putter and switched after nearly 10 years of playing a classic blade. I like the heavier weight in it and it kept me on line more. I also tried a classic blade in the same weight but still found that it was moving a tad (straight back-through putter). Inside 10 feet is were I really found it to shine as it just "found" the hole every time. My putting ave this year is 1.6 with the blade so I'm rather good at putting but this just felt better....for the time being.

#26 ak7776

ak7776

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

Wow! Many del mar converts here. Happy to hear that's working out for all. Just pray for the same for me when I get my hands on my Cali del mar!!

#27 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• 8,774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 622

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Why not go for a fitting and find what works for you and your putting stroke instead of worrying about what your current favorite pro is playing and trying to suit your game to fit it?  JMO

#28 hack

hack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29779
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

View PostRookieBlue7, on 04 April 2011 - 11:16 AM, said:

Why not go for a fitting and find what works for you and your putting stroke instead of worrying about what your current favorite pro is playing and trying to suit your game to fit it?  JMO

Agree with this. I wanted the Del Mar as I like the look at address, but a SAM PuttLab fitting indicated I should be playing with what I already was playing (SC Laguna) as it fit my stroke the best. We compared them side by side and I made more putts and had overall better results with the Laguna.

#29 Extreme Firepower

Extreme Firepower

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2292
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

Another for the anti push school. I played in a competition at the weekend and the guy I was playing
with had a Del Mar styled putter and he missed everything left. I mean there wasn't one putt he put
past the right side of the hole.

If you push your putts, get a Del Mar shaped head, I was skeptical till I seen this performance at the
weekend, scary.

#30 tonster

tonster

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17321
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

I have always putted with a heel shafted putter and with an arching stroke, its just a very natural and comfortable style of putter to use.  

Ideally I would love to putt with an 8802/Napa/Odyssey PT82 or #8 style blade and do have a few of my own to toss around.  But with green speeds the way they are, on a "bad" putting day the extra mass/weight of a Del Mar or #9 produces better results for me.  I did try to lead up an 8802 at one point, but in my experience blades are best at less than 325g.  Heck, I'm almost like Phil who jumps back and forth between his Odyssey #9 and PT82.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors