Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My finger keeps splitting open...

42 replies to this topic

#1 zodiackill

zodiackill

ButterBoy T's the Name

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93806
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:33 AM

Okay, so after a long period of being golfing deprived due to college and a frigid winter, the courses opened back up over spring break.  I played, alot.  About noon to 7pm each day.  Well on the last day my middle finger of my right hand started splitting open.  Little annoyance, nothing major.  Just put a bandaid on it and waited a couple days for it to heal, went back out.  Same thing happened, but nearly right away.  This time it started bleeding quite a bit.  So now I waited a week.  Went to the range today and it ripped open even quicker, quite bloody.  It never hurts, nothing like that.  Just wondering what is wrong in my grip that may be causing this.  I have a neutral grip, thumb of the right hand straight down the center of the grip.  Im using NDMC grips if that has any effect.  Any help would be great guys, this is seriously annoying.

Bio Cell Pro - Speeder TS 6.2x
X2 Hot 3deep - Fuel TS 70x
X2 Hot 5deep - Fuel TS 70x
Ping S55's 4-PW w/KBS C-Taper Lite X
Odyssey ProType #7
51, 56, 61 - DG TI S400's

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 golfdu

golfdu

Lefties are legit!

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85814
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

You could be squeezing the hell out of the golf club, literally choking it to death, on a scale from 1-10, how much pressure do you think you grip the club?

#3 zodiackill

zodiackill

ButterBoy T's the Name

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

Usually not much at all.  I like keeping my grip relatively light as it lets me lag the club better.  It may tense slightly toward impact but thats just so the club doesnt fly out of my hands.
Odyssey ProType #7

#4 needham

needham

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91234
  • Ebay ID:needhambrian
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:21 AM

band aid and neosporane at night.......thats what I do.

and band aids when you get to the course as well

#5 simonizer

simonizer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58528
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:20 AM

Over the bandaid, wrap the finger with a flexible bandage to limit further shear force on the healing wound.

#6 doubleagle2

doubleagle2

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65156
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:05 AM

I dealt with this on and off for awhile mostly  when it is cold and dry lotion helps but I got in the habit of wrapping it with speed wrap or a flex bandaid before I play then it doesn't split. My split happens on the tip just to the side of the finger nail

#7 Shambles

Shambles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

For starters, I'd carry a roll of plaster and use it whenever I hit balls. I would also have a talk with a doctor. It's possible there is a diet or vitamin deficiency involved here. Whatever it is, something is wrong and needs looking at.

Shambles

#8 dwb7272

dwb7272

Major Winner

• 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3305
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

I am sure the doctors on this sight will let me have it but I have seen a few guys use super glue if the split is not bad. Same concept as 'second skin' but stronger. It will keep it from splitting until it heals.

#9 FLAis4golferz

FLAis4golferz

The Tachus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26031
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

get some krazy glue and put it in your bag. when this happens i squeeze just a little bit out of it onto the cut and let it spread over the whole thing. give it a few minutes and you dont have to deal with band-aids fraying and/or falling off
TaylorMade R11 TP 9* R / Aldila RIP 70-X
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5 / PX 6.5
TaylorMade R9 TP 17* L / Motore F1 75-X
Bridgestone J33cb's 3-9 / DG X100
Scratch 47*, PING 52*/58* / KBS Tour
PING Karsten My Day 35"

#10 Par Fore

Par Fore

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49091
  • Ebay ID:barneys6
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Super glue before you go out, and wrap it with a fles band-aid, the super glue really closes the skin together well, also if your taking a lot of over the counter anti inflams it will inhibit clotting some so cut down on any advil or anything, other than tylenol.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 zodiackill

zodiackill

ButterBoy T's the Name

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

Hey thanks for the info guys.  Yeah I dont think its a vitamin deficiency as I eat extremely healthy and take multi-vitamins haha.  Yeah its always right at the tip by the fingernail.  So Ill just try takin a couple bandages at first, if that doesn't work Ill super glue it up.  By the way I am on a prescription strength anti-inflammatory that I started at the time this started happening.  So thats probably a factor as well.  Thanks!
Odyssey ProType #7

#12 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

I would go and see a doctor. I doubt fingers splitting open from holding a golf club is normal- there must be something wrong with your skin.

Actually sounds all a bit bizarre, oh my finger split, I'll super glue it! Just dont glue yourself to the club!!

Go Tommy Gainey and wear 2 gloves!

#13 zukszoo

zukszoo

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29198
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

My fingers will do the same thing when it is still cool and the humidity is still low. My skin is a bit on the dry side anyway. Extremities dry out faster than other parts of the body, so make sure you moisturize between rounds too. This was also something that I never had to deal with until my mid to late twenties. Once it does happen, it will be prone to it until you can get everything healed all the way up.

#14 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• 4,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 637

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

You see it all the time on TV.  The Tour players get cracks in their fingers all the time and it is just from so many swings.  It becomes an automatic thing to start the round - tape the fingers that crack so that they don't.  Until you build up some toughness in your hands, keep taping.  There is a Johnson & Johnson product called Paper Tape and I find that the best for conforming to my fingers.  I always have tape in the bag.
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#15 zodiackill

zodiackill

ButterBoy T's the Name

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

Awesome guys, yeah it first started happening when it was about 30 degrees out I was out hittin on the range.  Just went out and played 18, put on two bandaids and wrapped that with surgical tape.  Never budged during the round or a subsequent range session.  So if I go out to play I spose ill just keep doin this.

Odyssey ProType #7

#16 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:19 PM

Also, moisturize your hands a lot.  The drier your hands, the more prone they will be to cracking/splitting.
Ping G30 10.5* w/ Tour 65 (X)
Ping G30 17* & 21* w/ Tour 80 (X)
Ping i25 4-9 w/ ZZ65 Cushin
Scor 4161 46*, 50*, 55*, & 60*
Never Compromise Robusto

#17 2zlinks

2zlinks

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10091
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Depending where your finger is splitting I've had success with the guards below. Used to use tape but one of these is all it takes for me. If a basketball game breaks out I'm ready for that too. lol

Blister guards

#18 S70B

S70B

Wedge 'Ho

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27724
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

I have the same problem the past 5 years as I have extremely dry hands instead of sweaty palms.

Used speed wrap or sports tape to solved the problem till last year.

Had a better solution - switched out the type of grips I used.

Went from a Tour Velvet cord/cordless kind of player to using a softer compound like the Tour Wrap 2Gs.

If you do not like the Tour Wraps, Can try out the Winns. Saves your hands quite a bit.

I don't wear tape anymore.

#19 Bobbers

Bobbers

Major Winner

• 1,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68323
  • Ebay ID:bob122ate
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

I agree with everything said to this point. I'd also suggest, and this'll sound crazy, but take a look at how your nails are cut, both length and the shape of the nail on the sides, If the nail on my little fingers gets like more than a 1/16th of an inch long I have problems in that it shreds the inside of my index finger on the other hand where I interlock.

#20 mjen43

mjen43

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119001
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

:worth:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Andy808

Andy808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150937

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

This happened to me a few weeks ago. I had had a lesson with our pro (the first lesson I have ever had) and he made a subtle change to my grip. After the lesson I hit a couple more buckets of balls to get a better feel for this new grip and after half a bucket I noticed the "cut" in exactly the place everyone has mentioned.  I played a few rounds and it didn't get any better. I have not played for 2 weeks so it could heal properly but today decided to go hit a bucket of balls "getting withdrawl from not playing too" and after half a bucket noticed the cut was open again. Pro wasn't there to ask so thought I'd have a browse on the web. The weather has been pretty mild all winter here but today it was bitterly cold with an easterly wind. Buying some tape in the morning I can't go on not playing.

#22 marky1979

marky1979

Advanced

• 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56034
  • Handicap:1.9
  • Ebay ID:marc220579
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

i used to get this all the time on my right index finger, i found NDMC make is worse. so i stopped using them for a soft compound grip. i use a thing called meullers golf blister tape. works in wet or dry everytime.

i wouldn't super glue a cut personally.

Edited by marky1979, 01 February 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#23 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

I played and practiced a LOT this last season and had the same thing happen on multiple fingers.   Typically I just taped the area with sports tape to reduce the friction on that area and let it heal.   Neosporin and moisturizer at night to help let it heal.   Occasionally, the sports tape would "rub" against the skin of other fingers, but it was not the the norm.

#24 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
GolfWRX Likes : 648

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

When mine crack, I go blue bandaid then tape over it. Superglue works wonders, always have a tube in the bag. If your hands get super dry and split, try sleeping with vasoline on your hands, then put socks over them, sounds wierd but seriously helps.
Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
txxx burner 2.0 13.5 UST Attas 80x
txxx burner 2.0 18.5 ahina 80x
callaway  quad dot V protos 4-P ctaper X
raw txxx xft 51, xft 55/60
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

#25 mdgboxx

mdgboxx

Put lipstick on a pig - - - it's still a pig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61336
  • Handicap:9.1
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

That is a common occurance when playing at ±50° F or less. You remove natural emolients from your hands by washing them before you tee off. Colder weather, as opposed to 60° +, along with lower humidity, add to that, handling a wet/humid ball and/or club face, the tip of your fingers will crack open.

Here's what I do to prevent/control it.

I rub in CETAPHIL moisturizing cream on the targeted area before I leave the house. Making sure to wipe off any excess (that stuff is good but very slippery).

When I'm ready to tee off, I'll wash my hands and wrap a band-aid or tape to the tip of the fingers (over the nails) of the unprotected hand, by the golf glove.

As soon as I'm finished my game, I remove the band-aids and add more cream. (Sounds a little over the top, I guess you could wait till you get home)

Never had any annoying split fingers since I began this procedure 7-8 yrs ago.

This has nothing to do with your eating habits or gripping the club. It is a lack of natural skin moisture cause by weather conditions. Normally, when my nose starts running excessively when I'm playing, it's a heads-up symptom that triggers a "Watch out for the dried out, slpitting/cracking finger tips."

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg
3W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5° w/SV3005J, stf
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° w/SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW w/CFS reg @ D2
WEDGES: Ping Tour-S, 54°/10 & 60°/10
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weight

#26 Andy808

Andy808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150937

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

try sleeping with vasoline on your hands, then put socks over them,
Way too much information I thought this was a golf forum!!

Why not Mark? Super glue was developed for use on the battle field to glue wounds up so soldiers could get to hospital or carry on fighting. It's used all the time in A&E.

I already use velvet cord multi compound grips and don't grip too tight so it's not that. Going to try the moisturiser (once I pluck up the courage to ask the wife where she keps it) and tape method first and see how it goes.

Edited by Andy808, 01 February 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#27 neil72

neil72

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120618
  • Handicap:+0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

I suffer of dermatitis, and have constant battles against dry cracking hands.
I use Gauztex sports tape to tape up your hands. Tough to get hold of, but it works the best, it sticks to itself, but not your hands. I put it on and it lasts a whole practice session, and a whole round.
Avoid soap, this drys out your hands and will cause them to crack. Get some cleanser instead, I use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.
Repair your hands after round with Eucerin Aquaphor.

#28 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

• 6,211 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Andy808, on 01 February 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

try sleeping with vasoline on your hands, then put socks over them,
Way too much information I thought this was a golf forum!!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  Vasoline on hands...putting socks on something...hmmm.....

#29 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

• 6,211 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Andy808, on 01 February 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

Why not Mark? Super glue was developed for use on the battle field to glue wounds up so soldiers could get to hospital or carry on fighting. It's used all the time in A&E.

I already use velvet cord multi compound grips and don't grip too tight so it's not that. Going to try the moisturiser (once I pluck up the courage to ask the wife where she keps it) and tape method first and see how it goes.

My recollection was that superglue (cyanoacrylate) originally was created when searching for a material to make clear plastic sights for guns in WWII.   It was considered a failure since it stuck to everything, but later was remarketed as SuperGlue.

http://www.superglue...om/history.html
http://en.wikipedia....i/Cyanoacrylate
http://www.ehow.com/...super-glue.html

Edited by Skaffa77, 02 February 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#30 reywalwen

reywalwen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136328
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

As you look at the back of my hand (nail side facing up), my middle finger on my right hand splits open just to the right side of the nail.  It always has in my nearly 43 years of playing (since I was about 5!).  I started taping the tip of my finger as a child, just above the joint, about 2-3 wraps around the nail and it solves the problem.  I have a callous there now after all this time, but if I don't tape, it will start to open up.  I don't have a "death grip" on the club and I have never been able to figure out exactly what contact causes it.  I know it's worse with cord grips so clearly the finger is contacting the grip in some way.  I also tape my ring finger between the first and second joint because I can get a hot spot there (from my fingers rubbing against each other), especially when range practicing hitting tons of balls.

I would NEVER crazy glue a body part.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors