Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * - - - 1 votes

Ball that is low spin off driver and high spin off short irons?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jhd12

jhd12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33925
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:35 AM

My tee shots spin too much.

My short irons don't spin enough.

Does a ball exist that is low spin off the driver and high(er) spin with my short irons?

Thank you.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 borker

borker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115758
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

TaylorMade Burner TP LDP

/end thread

Ping i/20 8.5 Project-X Black 6.5
Callaway Steelhead III 3w Uniflex Steel
Bridgestone J36 Combo 3-PW DG X100
Nicklaus Dual Slot wedges 52 & 58
Ping Scottsdale TR Tatum Putter 34"

#3 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:48 AM

borker, on 31 March 2011 - 07:34 AM, said:

TaylorMade Burner TP LDP

/end thread

IMHO there is no such thing as a high short iron spin surlyn ball.

To the OP, this is kind of the goal for every OEM when making a ball. Most multilayer urethane balls are your best bet, but ultimately changes in your swing will have a greater effect than changing to different ball.

Edited by storm319, 31 March 2011 - 07:49 AM.

#4 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

That's the goal of all the high end balls......  

The Z star, Pro V, and TM Black TP (or whatever it's called), and the Penta TP all pretty much fit that bill as much as any balls out there, although they spin a little more off the driver in order to give the really high spin into the greens.....  If those are all too high spin still off the driver, you could move towards the Pro Vx, the Nike One Tour D, Srixon Z Star X or XV, or the TM Red TP (not made any more but can still be found on lost golf ball sites), however while bringing driver spin down a bit you'll also lose some spin into the greens, not a ton, but possibly noticeable.

The Burner TP LDP falls into the next class down along with the Trispeed Tour and NXT Tour balls, maybe even throw the Nike Vapor in there.  The Burner wants to compete with the top balls and might even come closer than the other ones mentioned, but it falls a little short.  It is a quite good ball, and I use it for a lot of my rounds since I picked up a 50 pack used on the cheap.  I'd say it spins off the driver like the first group above and spins into the green like the second..... Just a little different but definitely not bad for some of the deals on it out there.

Also, if you're real high spin off the driver and not into the greens, you might want to work on impact fundamentals.  A ball will help some but you're not gonna completely flip those stats just by switching.

Edited by highergr0und, 31 March 2011 - 09:42 AM.

#5 NWS Alpine

NWS Alpine

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108914
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

If you swing mechanics are good then clubhead speed creates spin.  Equipment can tweak the numbers to fit but it's mostly all in your clubhead speed.  I play Srixon balls but the new Nike ball was designed with a new core to advance this golden formula for a golf ball.  The spin slope for this ball is suppose to be better than any other ball they have released.  Low spin from the driver and high spin from the half swing wedges.

#6 sk373

sk373

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30156
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

My tee shots spin too much.

My short irons don't spin enough.

no ball is going to fix this issue, or even minimize it.  you are very likely flipping and/or scooping at impact.  a tour ball or other multilayer ball will only exacerbate the problem.

while tour balls are designed for low spin off the driver, but high spin off the irons, solid ballstriking is necessary for that to happen.  sorry to say, anyone who spins the ball too much off the driver but cannot generate sufficient spin with the short irons does not strike the golf ball solidly.  changing the golf ball won't resolve the issue.

Edited by sk373, 31 March 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#7 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3055

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

I don't know, I think OP would experience some improvement with a different ball, although I agree that ball striking may be the issue...as it is for most of us (always room to improve). The lower launching balls on tee shots that I know of are:

Callaway i(z)
Titleist ProV1x
Srixon Z-Star X
Bridgestone B330

Lowest spinning for me was the Callaway. Haven't had any problems spinning these around the greens either.
Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#8 sk373

sk373

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

MadGolfer76, on 31 March 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

I don't know, I think OP would experience some improvement with a different ball, although I agree that ball striking may be the issue...as it is for most of us (always room to improve). The lower launching balls on tee shots that I know of are:

Callaway i(z)
Titleist ProV1x
Srixon Z-Star X
Bridgestone B330

Lowest spinning for me was the Callaway. Haven't had any problems spinning these around the greens either.

i really don't think the OP would experience much, if any improvement with a different ball.  in fact, i believe that harder tour balls like the models you suggest will exacerbate his problem.

his issues point to flipping/scooping at impact, which leads to weak and inconsistent ballstriking.

regarding the driver: a flip at impact will cause a driver to spin too much and balloon because the flip adds loft at impact.  since it is difficult to hit the ball square with a flip at impact, the most likely result is a less-than-solid hit which will not compress the ball well.  as a result, a harder tour ball like the Cally i(z) or ProV1-x will spin more off the driver, not less.  distance and accuracy will suffer, along with the OP's wallet.

regarding the short irons:  conversely, a flip at impact with the short irons actually will rob the golfer of the ability to impart spin effectively.  a downward strike with the irons is necessary to impart spin effectively.  with a flip, the clubhead is ahead of the hands--can't spin the ball worth crap from that impact position.

i stand by my statement that changing a golf ball would be a waste of time and $$$ for the OP.

Edited by sk373, 31 March 2011 - 02:18 PM.

#9 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

• 12,371 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

sk373, on 31 March 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

MadGolfer76, on 31 March 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

Callaway i(z)
Titleist ProV1x
Srixon Z-Star X
Bridgestone B330

i really don't think the OP would experience much, if any improvement with a different ball.  in fact, i believe that harder tour balls like the models you suggest will exacerbate his problem.

his issues point to flipping/scooping at impact, which leads to weak and inconsistent ballstriking.

regarding the driver: a flip at impact will cause a driver to spin too much and balloon because the flip adds loft at impact.  since it is difficult to hit the ball square with a flip at impact, the most likely result is a less-than-solid hit which will not compress the ball well.  as a result, a harder tour ball like the Cally i(z) or ProV1-x will spin more off the driver, not less.  distance and accuracy will suffer, along with the OP's wallet.

regarding the short irons:  conversely, a flip at impact with the short irons actually will rob the golfer of the ability to impart spin effectively.  a downward strike with the irons is necessary to impart spin effectively.  with a flip, the clubhead is ahead of the hands--can't spin the ball worth crap from that impact position.

i stand by my statement that changing a golf ball would be a waste of time and $$ for the OP.

I think I can agree with that, if he is indeed flipping. So far, he has just asked for a ball that is lower spin off the drive and more off the wedge. I thought my suggestions were valid?
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#10 KGcanada

KGcanada

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117136

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

:smilie_titty:

number one ball in golf for a reason

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

• 12,371 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

KGcanada, on 31 March 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

...marketing?
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#12 North Texas

North Texas

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
GolfWRX Likes : 194

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

Here is my experience. My driver swingspeed is low 90's and like the OP I tend to flip at the bottom. For me the Srixon ZStar X seems to come off my driver with lower spin and off my short irons with higher spin. It's not unusual to spin the ball back with my PW. My theory as to why it has lower spin off the driver is that I don't swing hard to compress the ball like someone with a higher swing speed. Don't know how or why but that has been my experience with this ball.

Johnny T.

#13 sk373

sk373

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

I think I can agree with that, if he is indeed flipping. So far, he has just asked for a ball that is lower spin off the drive and more off the wedge. I thought my suggestions were valid?

well, yes they were valid in the sense that those balls are low driver spin, high short iron spin.  the caveat is this--they act that way when struck solidly.  they don't act that way with a flip at impact.  anyone who spins the ball too much with the driver but not enough with the short irons will not see much, if any, benefit from any kind of tour ball.

Here is my experience. My driver swingspeed is low 90's and like the OP I tend to flip at the bottom. For me the Srixon ZStar X seems to come off my driver with lower spin and off my short irons with higher spin. It's not unusual to spin the ball back with my PW. My theory as to why it has lower spin off the driver is that I don't swing hard to compress the ball like someone with a higher swing speed. Don't know how or why but that has been my experience with this ball.

i doubt you're flipping much at impact if you are able to spin the ball back with your PW.  tour balls help generate greenside spin, but they don't help that much.

Edited by sk373, 31 March 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#14 Raven Logics

Raven Logics

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61941
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

sk373, on 31 March 2011 - 01:35 PM, said:

no ball is going to fix this issue, or even minimize it.  you are very likely flipping and/or scooping at impact.  a tour ball or other multilayer ball will only exacerbate the problem.

That's an example of what could be happening, but not necessarily the only reason. Maybe he's just using an ultra-low spin ball right now and a poorly fitted driver? It doesn't hurt for the OP to buy a sleeve of Tour i(s) or Pro V1 to see if that helps his iron problem. If it does, then he could look at driver fitting, otherwise he could look at lessons - but a sleeve of balls is a cheap place to start in comparison. I had way too much spin with my first G15, but a loft and shaft change made all the difference.

#15 sk373

sk373

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

That's an example of what could be happening, but not necessarily the only reason. Maybe he's just using an ultra-low spin ball right now and a poorly fitted driver? It doesn't hurt for the OP to buy a sleeve of Tour i(s) or Pro V1 to see if that helps his iron problem. If it does, then he could look at driver fitting, otherwise he could look at lessons - but a sleeve of balls is a cheap place to start in comparison. I had way too much spin with my first G15, but a loft and shaft change made all the difference.

i can't see how someone who is a good ballstriker could have the OP's problem.  it does not compute.  i don't see how an ultra-low spin ball and a poorly fitted driver could be a reasonable conclusion regarding the OP's problem.  an ultra-low spin ball just won't spin well, period.

everyone wants a quick fix.  a sleeve of balls isn't necessarily a cheap solution.  it can easily lead to "well, the ProV's didn't work, maybe i'll try the Z-Star's".  next thing you know, he tries a whole bunch of different balls and finds that none of them fixed the issue in a satisfactory manner.

a driver fitting could be useful in that a proper fitting will illustrate the poor impact position that i suspect the OP is suffering from.  but i feel that the real solution will not be to purchase a driver that compensates for the poor impact position, especially since that won't solve the iron issues.

i feel strongly that someone who has too much driver spin but not enough short iron spin is not a solid ballstriker, plain and simple.  either that, or that person is playing irons that are awfully worn out.

Edited by sk373, 31 March 2011 - 09:43 PM.

#16 Raven Logics

Raven Logics

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61941

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

sk373, on 31 March 2011 - 09:42 PM, said:

i can't see how someone who is a good ballstriker could have the OP's problem.  it does not compute.

The OP didn't really tell us much about the problem, the equipment he is using or what his understanding of high and low spin are. If he's expecting to see a Top Flight XL spin back on the greens, and just has high launching, softer flex driver that he wants to see launch low, then sure it computes. I'm not saying that you're wrong or giving bad advice, just that there's not enough information to reach that conclusion.

#17 Super Bomber Man

Super Bomber Man

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92424
  • Ebay ID:krnxextacy

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

I play the Nike ONE and its been pretty good to me so far!  Lots of spin around the green.

#18 Cally4life

Cally4life

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66598

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

Super Bomber Man, on 01 April 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

I play the Nike ONE and its been pretty good to me so far!  Lots of spin around the green.

Bridgestone RXS!

#19 wayne18

wayne18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124306
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

TayloyMade TP Black LDP for average swing speeds, TP Red LDP for higher swing speeds

Edited by wayne18, 02 April 2011 - 06:41 AM.

Adams Fast12 LS 10.5*
Adams Super S Black 17*
Adams Idea 9031 23*
Adams Pro a12  4-gw
Puglielli Forged Black  54* & 58*
Cleveland Classic HB #7

#20 yahtzee

yahtzee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144083
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

Cally4life, on 01 April 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:

Super Bomber Man, on 01 April 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

Bridgestone RXS!

+1

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Calllaway ix from last year. Find 'em dirt cheap at Golfsmih.

Nike One Tour.

#22 billybaroo

billybaroo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20513

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

MadGolfer76, on 31 March 2011 - 02:52 PM, said:

KGcanada, on 31 March 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

...marketing?
:lol:  but true.  :)

#23 1badbadger

1badbadger

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18031
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

When struck correctly, some of the 4-piece balls have the performance you're looking for.  Golf balls like the Bridgestone B330 and B330-S have 4 piece constructions that help reduce spin off of the driver, and spin more with short irons and wedges.

This is accomplished because with the driver (or other long clubs) the core is brought into play, and with the design of the mantle layers helps keep spin down.

When hitting short iron or wedge shots, the cover is more influential because the shorter irons don't compress the ball as much.  Since the cover is engaged, it will provide more spin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors