Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Titleist vs. Bridgestone

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4674

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

Titleist and Bridgestone seem to focus on the opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to ball fitting. Titleist from the green back, and Bridgestone with the driver. Bridgestone talks about compressing the ball and Titleist says there is only a four yard difference in distance among any of their golf balls.

Personally I don't find any noticeable distance gains with a Bridgestone B330 RXS vs. a Titleist ProV1x. However, I do notice that the ProV1x has more control around the greens. I also noticed that good golfers with slower swing speeds will play the Titleist ProV1 and ProV1x, e.g., girls amateur, girls junior amateur, than any other ball by far.

So who's philosophy is correct? Can someone with an 85 mph swing speed play a ProV1 or ProV1x, or is he or she better off playing the RX or RXS?

Hey...be nice.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 sk373

sk373

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30156
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

i believe that when it comes to driving the golf ball, the effects of compression on distance are not explained very well.  if one consistently delivers good solid contact in the sweet spot, the distance difference among golf balls will be within 4-5 yds, regardless of SS and/or golf ball compression.  the difference shows up in the off-center hits, slight or severe.  if one doesn't have the swing speed to fully compress the ball, more sidespin will imparted on off-center hits, which will result in lost distance and accuracy.

this is why LPGA pros all play ProV's or other tour balls without any significant distance penalty, despite their lower SS.

suffice to say, neither philosophy is completely right or wrong.  basically, if one is a good ball-striker and drives the ball well, then the Titleist philosophy makes the most sense.  if one is not a consistent ball-striker and driver of the golf ball, then the Bridgestone philosophy can help minimize the effects of the mishits.

Edited by sk373, 26 March 2011 - 12:35 PM.

#3 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

View Postsk373, on 26 March 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

i believe that when it comes to driving the golf ball, the effects of compression on distance are not explained very well.  if one consistently delivers good solid contact in the sweet spot, the distance difference among golf balls will be within 4-5 yds, regardless of SS and/or golf ball compression.  the difference shows up in the off-center hits, slight or severe.  if one doesn't have the swing speed to fully compress the ball, more sidespin will imparted on off-center hits, which will result in lost distance and accuracy.

this is why LPGA pros all play ProV's or other tour balls without any significant distance penalty, despite their lower SS.

suffice to say, neither philosophy is completely right or wrong.  basically, if one is a good ball-striker and drives the ball well, then the Titleist philosophy makes the most sense.  if one is not a consistent ball-striker and driver of the golf ball, then the Bridgestone philosophy can help minimize the effects of the mishits.
Good explanation SK. Thank you.
Hey...be nice.

#4 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

A ball should be fit from the putter backwards IMO. If you have a ball that doesn't feel right off the putter, there seems little point continuing any further. Next would be wedge feel and spin and so on. Compression is all very well, but you either have the ability to use it to your advantage or you don't. And as it has been previously mentioned, there isn't a whole heap of difference in overall distance between balls anyway. Bottom line - what could you live with? A ball that drives 4 yards longer but has no feel or bite, or a ball that is just right around the greens but gives up a few yards off the tee. I know where my money is going........

#5 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

View Postjaskanski, on 26 March 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

A ball should be fit from the putter backwards IMO. If you have a ball that doesn't feel right off the putter, there seems little point continuing any further. Next would be wedge feel and spin and so on. Compression is all very well, but you either have the ability to use it to your advantage or you don't. And as it has been previously mentioned, there isn't a whole heap of difference in overall distance between balls anyway. Bottom line - what could you live with? A ball that drives 4 yards longer but has no feel or bite, or a ball that is just right around the greens but gives up a few yards off the tee. I know where my money is going........
Mine too. The last few rounds I played a premium ball and must a few strokes a round because I was able to be more aggressive with my wedges as I knew the ball wouldn't release past the hole. It was especially helpful when I was short-sided.

Hey...be nice.

#6 titleist32

titleist32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88115
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

Bridgestone will compete against any ball on the market in their fittings.  go check one out. you will be surprised how much of a difference there really is. and whats the worst that could happen....you leave with a free 2 ball pack? not too bad IMO

#7 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

View Posttitleist32, on 26 March 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

Bridgestone will compete against any ball on the market in their fittings.  go check one out. you will be surprised how much of a difference there really is. and whats the worst that could happen....you leave with a free 2 ball pack? not too bad IMO
Didn't know about the free golf balls.
Hey...be nice.

#8 ballmark

ballmark

Wish they all were that close

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114537
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

:beee: And i wanted to comment but i can't...it's all been said.

#9 glfpunk

glfpunk

Tour Winner

• 684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121448
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

Check out the data on the balls in question.  The Bridgestone RX and RXS balls are almost identical in compression and cover hardness as the Pro V1 and V1x.  I never thought the Pro V1's were anything special.  They did combine distance, feel, and spin into one ball and that's why they were so big when they came out.  I can definitely notice the feel of them though around the greens in particular and they feel like a softer ball but I've never noticed an increase in spin over any of the other premium balls in my opinion.  I've been gaming different Srixon's this year but I'm going to try out the RX since I saw the rating on cover hardness.

#10 prostar

prostar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122386
  • Ebay ID:dkuns

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

putter back I do agree... everyone knows that more shots are lost around the green and especially putting. What good is distance if you cant convert the hole into good score on a consistent basis?

After trying many brands - I have my preference and play the ball simply for the feel off the putter and the wedge...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 titleist32

titleist32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88115

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

View PostSean2, on 26 March 2011 - 05:22 PM, said:

View Posttitleist32, on 26 March 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

Didn't know about the free golf balls.
yep...who can resist free golf balls. especially when a dozen is like $45. I am close friends with a Bridgestone ball fitter so i can get answers to any questions

#12 MP4orged

MP4orged

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116259
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

i'd say neither company is wrong...for me i'd side with titleist and work the ball from the green back, but i've seen my friend who choses his balls based on compression and i'd say he has played better with a ball that matches better off the tee

#13 wu_scgolfer

wu_scgolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47460
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

It is interesting how many people want to quote Titleist and USGA research about the minimal distance differences in current golf ball offerings.  That is with robot testing, You think there will be a 4 yard difference in a 1inch off center mishit by the 10 handicap between two balls, I think not.  As far as spin, I believe Golf Digest put out testing that between the highest spinning urethane and lowest spinning urethane balls on the market there was a 10% difference in spin, real world results we are talking between 3 and 4 inches between the two.  
As far as who's fitting theory is correct you have to look at what is being tested.  With Titleist fitting with the wedge, lets say we generate 10,000rpm's of spin and 1,000 rpm's of side spin.  Take the Bridgestone fitting with the driver at 3,000 rpm's and the same 1,000rpm's of side spin,  By fitting with the wedge you mask the effect of sidespin, in the above example 10%, with the driver there is a 33% affect of side spin.  From my viewpoint having gone through both fittings I would side with the Bridgestone theory of ball fitting, a straighter and longer tee shot will set me up with a better chance to score because I am hitting less club in to the greens and from the fairway more often.  We have to remember, each company is going to fit to their strengths and Titleist's strength is the amount their balls spin, Bridgestone makes golf balls that are longer and tend to fly straighter.

#14 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

View Postglfpunk, on 26 March 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

Check out the data on the balls in question.  The Bridgestone RX and RXS balls are almost identical in compression and cover hardness as the Pro V1 and V1x.  I never thought the Pro V1's were anything special.  They did combine distance, feel, and spin into one ball and that's why they were so big when they came out.  I can definitely notice the feel of them though around the greens in particular and they feel like a softer ball but I've never noticed an increase in spin over any of the other premium balls in my opinion.  I've been gaming different Srixon's this year but I'm going to try out the RX since I saw the rating on cover hardness.

Care to pass that data along?

The RX has a hard cover, and the RXS(not a bad ball at all actually), is a bit softer, but not much.

They spin, but NOTHING compared to the ProV1.

Even the B330-S, which is suppose to be their top tier, spin, distance, yadda yadda ball, doesn't spin as much as the ProV1.. I love the B330-S, but mainly because of the harder cover Bridgestone has on their balls, being more durable too.

Not calling you out, I'm just curious to read the data. Might be similar in "number" but not by feel.

#15 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• 6,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

Personally, my choice has been more based on the feel off the putter and short game control, but I did not neglect the effects of excessive spin and trajectory from the driver.  Personally, in any ball fitting I found the data to be helpful and usually support my preference:  Pro V1 or B330s.

#16 Cornbread

Cornbread

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107553
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

View PostSean2, on 26 March 2011 - 07:07 AM, said:

Titleist says there is only a four yard difference in distance among any of their golf balls.

I also noticed that good golfers with slower swing speeds will play the Titleist ProV1 and ProV1x, e.g., girls amateur, girls junior amateur, than any other ball by far.

Can someone with an 85 mph swing speed play a ProV1 or ProV1x, or is he or she better off playing the RX or RXS?
The people with slower swing speeds playing the Prov1x re only harming themselves... especially in the distance catagory.

#17 Cornbread

Cornbread

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:28 AM

View Postwu_scgolfer, on 26 March 2011 - 09:41 PM, said:

It is interesting how many people want to quote Titleist and USGA research about the minimal distance differences in current golf ball offerings.  That is with robot testing, You think there will be a 4 yard difference in a 1inch off center mishit by the 10 handicap between two balls, I think not.  As far as spin, I believe Golf Digest put out testing that between the highest spinning urethane and lowest spinning urethane balls on the market there was a 10% difference in spin, real world results we are talking between 3 and 4 inches between the two.  
As far as who's fitting theory is correct you have to look at what is being tested.  With Titleist fitting with the wedge, lets say we generate 10,000rpm's of spin and 1,000 rpm's of side spin.  Take the Bridgestone fitting with the driver at 3,000 rpm's and the same 1,000rpm's of side spin,  By fitting with the wedge you mask the effect of sidespin, in the above example 10%, with the driver there is a 33% affect of side spin.  From my viewpoint having gone through both fittings I would side with the Bridgestone theory of ball fitting, a straighter and longer tee shot will set me up with a better chance to score because I am hitting less club in to the greens and from the fairway more often.  We have to remember, each company is going to fit to their strengths and Titleist's strength is the amount their balls spin, Bridgestone makes golf balls that are longer and tend to fly straighter.
Care to share the testing and basis for these 'knowledgable' remarks spoken as fact?

Oh, and you don't really 'mask'anyting..  A Driver has a 100mph clubhead speed and a half wedge has like 45mph. (due to the length of the shaft)

#18 Cornbread

Cornbread

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

The Bridgestone RX and RXS balls are almost identical in compression and cover hardness as the Pro V1 and V1x.

WHAT ?   The RSX compression is 78, the Prov1x is 104.   Not even close.:rolleyes:

#19 borker

borker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115758
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:38 AM

View PostCornbread, on 27 March 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

The people with slower swing speeds playing the Prov1x re only harming themselves... especially in the distance catagory.
Aren't you the one who is constantly pounding the board with the Titleist claim that all their balls are within 4 yards of each other, regardless of compression numbers, price, etc? Now you say otherwise?

Ping i/20 8.5° Diamana™ S+ 62 X
Callaway Steelhead III 3w Uniflex Steel
Callaway 2007 X-Forged 3-PW, PX FLT 6.5
Nicklaus Dual Slot wedges 52° & 58°
Odyssey Versa #9, 35"

#20 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:33 AM

View PostCornbread, on 27 March 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

The Bridgestone RX and RXS balls are almost identical in compression and cover hardness as the Pro V1 and V1x.

WHAT ?   The RSX compression is 78, the Prov1x is 104.   Not even close.:rolleyes:

Agreed neither of them are close. The ProV1's overall compression is in the high 90's, ProV1x low 100's, RX around 90, and RXS high 70's.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

I think both philosophy's are important, but there is more variable between balls on shorter shots and around the green. Titleist's spin graph in their ad is a great way to show their point, but I don't buy their claim that there is only a 4 yard end all difference between all their balls.

#22 colnago1331

colnago1331

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122008
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

Think of it this way:

Chances are you're going to use your putter at least once on every hole, and often times twice, so figure on 25 - 30 times per round.
Chances are you're going to use your driver 14 times or less in an entire round (assuming par 72 w/ 4 par 3 holes).
DRIVER: Adams Super S 10.5
FAIRWAY: PING G20 16.5
HYBRID: Adams Super S 22
IRONS: PING Zing2 4-W
WEDGES: TaylorMade ATV (52, 56 & 60)
PUTTER: Scotty Cameron Tel3 Newport

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors