Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Left thumb sore from golfing?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boxerjoe2011

boxerjoe2011

Oh Billy!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93762
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

My left thumb has been bothering me for a couple months now, at the joint, it's sore.  Does this have anything to do with playing a little more golf than I usually do over the past few months?  I know some golfers like Anthony Kim and Paula Creamer have gotten thumb surgery, so this had me a little worried.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 711

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

I get thumb pain at the base of the thumb, where the tendon attaches to the wrist, when I beat too many range balls.

Usually goes away after a couple of days of rest.

#3 lkangsterl

lkangsterl

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32516
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

i get some pain too.  starting from the tip of the thumb, my pain is at the second joint/knuckle down.  i think its because when im swinging poorly, i flip and the shaft 'hyperextends' my thumb backwards.

#4 bunkerboy_tfd

bunkerboy_tfd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124224
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

If its what I experienced last Summer, I would be very careful about how many balls you hit on the range. I assumed I had tendonitis, and the pain was fairly severe and it lingered for several months. Nowdays, if I hit too many range balls I'll still get a little pain. I just know not to push it. I would ice it and rest it for several days. If it continues, limit your range time, and time between rounds. Unfortunately, it may just take time. Something that did seem to help in addition to the ice and rest was therapy with a powerball. It's a resistance ball to help increase your finger and grip strength. Good luck with the injury.

#5 BNich0622

BNich0622

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87233
  • Ebay ID:BNich0622
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

I got this pain on the back of my hand where the thumb meets the wrist. Had a tough lie under a tree. follow through caught the tree trunk. Its sore when I grip the club and swing.

Big Bertha Alpha 9* w Speeder VC 6.0
X2 Hot 15* 3w/ Aldila Tour Blue 65s
X2 Hot 18* Hy/Aldila Tour Green 75s
Apex 3-PW UST Recoil 110 F5
Mack Daddy 2 52* & 58* C Grind
Metal X Milled 330 Mallet 34"

#6 boxerjoe2011

boxerjoe2011

Oh Billy!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93762
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:47 PM

bunkerboy_tfd, on 24 March 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

If its what I experienced last Summer, I would be very careful about how many balls you hit on the range. I assumed I had tendonitis, and the pain was fairly severe and it lingered for several months. Nowdays, if I hit too many range balls I'll still get a little pain. I just know not to push it. I would ice it and rest it for several days. If it continues, limit your range time, and time between rounds. Unfortunately, it may just take time. Something that did seem to help in addition to the ice and rest was therapy with a powerball. It's a resistance ball to help increase your finger and grip strength. Good luck with the injury.

Was your left thumb (you're right handed?) at the proximal joint (not the joint closest to your fingernail) sore?  It's not a sharp pain, but more a dull ache and it feels more like nerve damage because rubbing or "working" the site does nothing to change the condition.  I really hope it's not what you speak of, I am looking forward to playing a couple rounds a week during the summer.  Did the pain eventually go away or is it chronic if you play too much golf?

#7 bunkerboy_tfd

bunkerboy_tfd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124224
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

boxerjoe2011, on 24 March 2011 - 11:47 PM, said:

bunkerboy_tfd, on 24 March 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

Was your left thumb (you're right handed?) at the proximal joint (not the joint closest to your fingernail) sore?  It's not a sharp pain, but more a dull ache and it feels more like nerve damage because rubbing or "working" the site does nothing to change the condition.  I really hope it's not what you speak of, I am looking forward to playing a couple rounds a week during the summer.  Did the pain eventually go away or is it chronic if you play too much golf?

Yes, it was my left thumb, I am right handed, and yes, most of the pain was at the second joint. However, mine also hurt if I tapped on the end of the thumb or put pressure on the tip of the thumb. Rest seemed to be the only thing that made mine get better. The upside is that it did eventually get better. It only bothers me now and again if I hit a lot of range ball or work out more than regular with dumb bell weights (the dumb bell grip seems to put pressure on my joint). I just got back from playing 27 holes and hitting balls today and I barely notice the soreness, by tomorrow it shouldn't be sore at all. Hopefully, with a little down time, you'll be back to playing as much as you want. My mistake, which made it linger on for several months, was to play and reaggravate the injury when my thumb was still sore. It's hard to stop playing if you're addicted. If its what I had, and you take it easy, I bet you'll be good for the Summer. Good luck.

#8 pinehurst

pinehurst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68916
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

I used to get left thumb pain...bad.  Then I learned what a proper grip was and it all went away.

#9 bananapel

bananapel

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124637
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

It's just soreness. I am going through it right now and do every year when I play. I just stopped doing everything with it for one day (yesterday) and it feels a lot better today. Took today off so tomorrow it will be better to hit a couple shots. Then I'll be back on Sunday playing again. Just give it 2-3 days and you'll be fine. The season's just beg so you don't want it to be there for the rest of it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors