Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best thing to put on leather golf shoes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 agreen61601

agreen61601

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116258
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

I used to put mink oil on nice expensive leather soccer shoes and outdoor loafers. Is this the way to go or is there something newer or better out there. What have you had success with or would you recomend. Just got some adipure z's and want to keep them looking fresh. Thanks for your help.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

I use mink oil myself after cleaning with saddle soap and polishing.

I don't know if there are better ways, but it's what my dad did and his shoes were always spiffy.

Depending on how often you play, you should rotate shoes, clean after each round and always use shoe trees after airing them out.  With three or four pairs and good care, they will last you multiple seasons and look good too.

Clank them together to get off them grass, throw them in the trunk and wear them the next day and they'll look like crap in no time.

#3 agreen61601

agreen61601

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

View Postscotchblade, on 09 March 2011 - 10:57 PM, said:

I use mink oil myself after cleaning with saddle soap and polishing.

I don't know if there are better ways, but it's what my dad did and his shoes were always spiffy.

Depending on how often you play, you should rotate shoes, clean after each round and always use shoe trees after airing them out.  With three or four pairs and good care, they will last you multiple seasons and look good too.

Clank them together to get off them grass, throw them in the trunk and wear them the next day and they'll look like crap in no time.

Thanks for the input. Just rubbed them with mink oil and am letting them sit overnight. These shoes came with a bag for each shoe. I guess so the spikes dont scratch the other shoe.  I always have a black and brown pair of shoes but may bring another shoe into the rotation this year.  Glad to see the saddle soap and mink oil is still the way to go after all these years.  Just turned 30 this month and hadnt mink oiled athletic shoes since high school. Thanks Again

#4 rmilette

rmilette

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120827
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:45 AM

I've always used Chelsea Leather Food and it's really awesome. Waterproofing and maintains breathability...I used it on my kangaroo soccer cleats and it always kept the leather nice and supple.

#5 Togatown22

Togatown22

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14577
  • Handicap:8.1
  • Ebay ID:togatown22
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

Clean with saddle soap, polish, then mink oil.
I do this routine probably 3 times a summer (can only play from April-Oct up here) and it really extends the life of my nicer shoes.  As another poster mentioned, not wearing the same pair twice in a row helps too.  It's the same concept as rotating your gloves if you werar one.  They last longer that way.

R1 black, Oban Devotion 6 04
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5, Oban Revenge 7 04
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 18.5, PX 6.0
Ping i15 4-U, KBS Tour S
Odyssey Tank #7 counterbalanced
Vokey SM5  54.10S, 58.08M

#6 Corkster

Corkster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13303
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

I use Super VII Leather Balsam, You can apply it with a sponge in seconds and keep your shoes looking like new and water resistant forever.

It can be found at http://popcornplus.ca/

It is absolutely awesome stuff.

#7 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

Good tips...one thing you have to be careful of avoiding putting a waxy sealant on a shoe with a GoreTex Liner (I have ECCOs and Nikes with that, don't think the Adidas have it, though). If the leather can't breathe, the GoreTex liner won't work and will just trap moisture making your feet wetter rather than drier.

#8 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

Use Neet Feet, and polish.

#9 agreen61601

agreen61601

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

I have only put mink oil on black shoes. What will it do to the appearance of brown leather shoes.  Will it just darken them?

#10 Solutions Etcetera

Solutions Etcetera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33999
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

My product of choice for leather has always been Lexol. It has been around for decades.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors