Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Gary Woodland WITB photos & video - GolfWRX style

139 replies to this topic

#31 mdb0103

mdb0103

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97352
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

It's funny, we all know how far Dustin Johnson hits the ball and I remember Tiger quoting him as saying "Dude I got nothin on Gary."

Titleist 913 D2 TS 6.2
Titleist 913F S+ 72
Titleist 913h S+ 82
Titleist 712 AP2 C Taper
Vokey SM4 50, 55, 60
Odyssey ProType Tour 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 HCEG1

HCEG1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21395
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

All I've heard is how GW crushes it, yet he's averaging less than 301 yards, according to the PGA Tour driving distance stats

Also, we saw him alongside Tiger at Bay Hill-again-if I recall correctly, he averaged something like 296 for the week

Anyone have any hard data to support the hyperbole?

Edited by HCEG1, 27 April 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#33 pga43

pga43

GolfWRX.com's Tour Photographer

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 6,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123025
GolfWRX Likes : 1212

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

View PostHCEG1, on 27 April 2011 - 04:19 PM, said:

All I've heard is how GW crushes it, yet he's averaging less than 301 yards, according to the PGA Tour driving distance stats

Also, we saw him alongside Tiger at Bay Hill-again-if I recall correctly, he averaged something like 296 for the week

The Tour only uses two holes (usually they try to get one into the wind and one downwind where the players will hit drivers) to measure driving distance.  A lot of the pros don't always hit driver on the holes they measure.  Drives also must be in the fairway to count.

My very educated guess is that Gary doesn't hit driver on every hole that is used for measuring.

Greg
GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

#34 HCEG1

HCEG1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

View Postpga43, on 27 April 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

The Tour only uses two holes (usually they try to get one into the wind and one downwind where the players will hit drivers) to measure driving distance.  A lot of the pros don't always hit driver on the holes they measure.  Drives also must be in the fairway to count.

My very educated guess is that Gary doesn't hit driver on every hole that is used for measuring.

Greg

Sorry, but I don't buy that

Yes, they choose 2 holes in opposite directions, but they are holes where the players are almost certain to hit driver-and often there is no, or v, little wind

If someone was a real long drive phenomenon, wouldn't he still be averaging somewhere around 340-at least?

#35 mdb0103

mdb0103

Major Winner

• 2,202 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

View PostHCEG1, on 27 April 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

Greg

Yes, they choose 2 holes in opposite directions, but they are holes where the players are almost certain to hit driver-and often there is no, or v, little wind

If someone was a real long drive phenomenon, wouldn't he still be averaging somewhere around 340-at least?

He's probably right... Why do you think he carries a 2 iron? He's accurate with it and hits fairways and can smash the 2 iron. His 3 wood is probably as long if not longer than most guys' driver too.

Titleist 913 D2 TS 6.2
Titleist 913F S+ 72
Titleist 913h S+ 82
Titleist 712 AP2 C Taper
Vokey SM4 50, 55, 60
Odyssey ProType Tour 2

#36 oldhamer25

oldhamer25

Yes, they are cheering my name!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120505
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

Greg

Numbers don't always give you the whole story.  If you get a chance you should just watch him play sometime.  It is an impressive sight.
913 D2 8.5, Tour Spec 6.3x
913 FD 15, Tour Spec 7.3x
913 H 19, VTS Tour SPX Silver 8x
712U 3 PX 6.0, 714 AP2 4-PW, PX PXI 6.5
Vokey TVD 52M, 58K TI S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14

#37 QMany

QMany

Flush Sprayer

• 4,560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113894
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1076

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

I live in Topeka, Gary's hometown. I get to read a lot of good interviews and stories.

He said he usually only hits driver 4-5 times a round and maybe 6 if the wind is into him.

I play with a lot of the Washburn team, some of whom played with him when he was here for a year before KU. He abuses the ball.
Stage 2 Tour (9.5) NV 75
Stage 2 Tour (14.5) VS Proto 80
Stage 2 Tour (17.5) Black Tie Hm3 95
TEE CB ProH (20.5) KBS Tour
TP MB-MC (4-PW) KBS Tour
TP (54 and 60) KBS Tour

#38 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1615

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

Greg

Why ask for an opinion if you are going to immediately shoot it down?  Did you watch Thursday and Friday of The Masters?  He played with Vegas and Quiros... Woodland and Quiros were routinely 20+ by Vegas all day and he hits it pretty well himself.  I saw a few drives in a row on the back 9 and Woodland was slightly by Quiros on all of them and everyone agrees he flat out smashes it.  Also if you see him play much he tees it very low and plays a lot of left to right shots...not ideal for optimizing the driver.  But at 180 ball speed you don't need optimal to get it out there if that's how you're comfortable hitting fairways.  Woodland's average ball speed on tour this year 182 mph with a max of 188 and a low of 170...which I'm guessing was a 3 wood.  He's also 142nd in launch angle on tour averaging lower than 10 degrees of launch.  Bottom line, the guy smashes it.

#39 HCEG1

HCEG1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:12 AM

View PostDizz, on 27 April 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

Greg

Why ask for an opinion if you are going to immediately shoot it down?  Did you watch Thursday and Friday of The Masters?  He played with Vegas and Quiros... Woodland and Quiros were routinely 20+ by Vegas all day and he hits it pretty well himself.  I saw a few drives in a row on the back 9 and Woodland was slightly by Quiros on all of them and everyone agrees he flat out smashes it.  Also if you see him play much he tees it very low and plays a lot of left to right shots...not ideal for optimizing the driver.  But at 180 ball speed you don't need optimal to get it out there if that's how you're comfortable hitting fairways.  Woodland's average ball speed on tour this year 182 mph with a max of 188 and a low of 170...which I'm guessing was a 3 wood.  He's also 142nd in launch angle on tour averaging lower than 10 degrees of launch.  Bottom line, the guy smashes it.

I haven't shot anything down. Just waiting for some hard evidence instead of hearsay

Did I watch Thursday & Friday of the Masters? Does a one-legged duck swim round in circles?

From the official Masters stats:

Thursday: G. Woodland 296 Yards

Friday: G. Woodland 292.5 yards

http://www.masters.c...drives_avg.html

He was probably just hitting knock-down 4 irons on the measuring holes

If a guy's truly a massive hitter his stats will (eventually) back it up. I don't know how many times I need to explain that the 2 holes used for measuring are long, wide open holes where it would be highly unlikely that a player would hit anything but driver

I'll probably get to see him myself this summer at Royal St Georges (& maybe Castle Stuart.) If he's as long as people are saying, he'll be getting some out near 400 yards with all the roll we get over here in summer

I forgot to add, I remember all the talk before Bay Hill that Tiger would be 60-70 yards behind him. Reality is that the injured Tiger pretty much got it out there with him & DJ on the drives that he managed to get (somewhere near) straight

Edited by HCEG1, 28 April 2011 - 03:57 AM.

#40 oldhamer25

oldhamer25

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

View PostHCEG1, on 28 April 2011 - 01:12 AM, said:

View PostDizz, on 27 April 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

Greg

I haven't shot anything down. Just waiting for some hard evidence instead of hearsay

Did I watch Thursday & Friday of the Masters? Does a one-legged duck swim round in circles?

From the official Masters stats:

Thursday: G. Woodland 296 Yards

Friday: G. Woodland 292.5 yards

http://www.masters.c...drives_avg.html

He was probably just hitting knock-down 4 irons on the measuring holes

If a guy's truly a massive hitter his stats will (eventually) back it up. I don't know how many times I need to explain that the 2 holes used for measuring are long, wide open holes where it would be highly unlikely that a player would hit anything but driver

I'll probably get to see him myself this summer at Royal St Georges (& maybe Castle Stuart.) If he's as long as people are saying, he'll be getting some out near 400 yards with all the roll we get over here in summer

I forgot to add, I remember all the talk before Bay Hill that Tiger would be 60-70 yards behind him. Reality is that the injured Tiger pretty much got it out there with him & DJ on the drives that he managed to get (somewhere near) straight

So by using your logic and the numbers for the Masters, Quiros does not hit it massive either because his average was only 303.  You are taking the numbers as the only information and creating your opinion without getting some of the more pertinent information. i.e. CLUB used.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 HCEG1

HCEG1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

So by using your logic and the numbers for the Masters, Quiros does not hit it massive either because his average was only 303.  You are taking the numbers as the only information and creating your opinion without getting some of the more pertinent information. i.e. CLUB used.
[/quote]

I'm just having a bit of fun, trying to wind Dizz up a little...

Out of interest, where didn't GW hit driver? Maybe 3, 10, 13 & 15. (No way #3 is used as a measuring hole) # 10 gives sick run out and the rest give up 40+ yards. Even if he hit 3 wood on all of those, the distances are nothing to get excited about

Anyway, the best way to judge him is to see him in person, which I'll do in the summer. Be interesting to see how he really stacks up

Edited by HCEG1, 28 April 2011 - 10:46 AM.

#42 pga43

pga43

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 6,276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

Greg

Sorry but you a clueless when it comes to the type of holes that they use on the PGA Tour.  While yes they try to use a hole that maybe a bit wide to get players to hit driver, that doesn't mean the hole will be wide open and where the players are almost certain to hit driver.  If the golf course is tight already, the wide open hole isn't going to be that wide open.  There may be bunkers or the fairway may pinch in out at the 300+ landing area.  If the wind is blowing (like it did/does at Augusta), it's not like it will stop on the holes they measure.

Gary doesn't hit a lot of drivers cuz he doesn't need to.  See what his stats were at the Transitions, where he won.  He's not interested in just being known as a long ball hitter (this isn't the ReMax Long Drive tour) but as a PGA Tour winner.  Something that he accomplished this year.  He may not hit many drivers in The Open Championship either (remember Tigers win where he hit mainly 2 - 3 irons off the tee).

Greg
GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

#43 HCEG1

HCEG1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

View Postpga43, on 28 April 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

Greg

Sorry but you a clueless when it comes to the type of holes that they use on the PGA Tour.  While yes they try to use a hole that maybe a bit wide to get players to hit driver, that doesn't mean the hole will be wide open and where the players are almost certain to hit driver.  If the golf course is tight already, the wide open hole isn't going to be that wide open.  There may be bunkers or the fairway may pinch in out at the 300+ landing area.  If the wind is blowing (like it did/does at Augusta), it's not like it will stop on the holes they measure.

Gary doesn't hit a lot of drivers cuz he doesn't need to.  See what his stats were at the Transitions, where he won.  He's not interested in just being known as a long ball hitter (this isn't the ReMax Long Drive tour) but as a PGA Tour winner.  Something that he accomplished this year.  He may not hit many drivers in The Open Championship either (remember Tigers win where he hit mainly 2 - 3 irons off the tee).

Greg

I've been involved in measuring drives in the Dubai Desert Classic three times and the Abu Dhabi Open twice

Where does your superior information come from?

Tiger hit his 2 iron at Hoylake because it was held in a windless heatwave. When it blows he has to hit driver, which is why he's never contended in an Open with any kind of wind.

We all remember him around here shooting 81 at Muirfield in '02

#44 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 704

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

View PostHCEG1, on 28 April 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Edited by jaskanski, 28 April 2011 - 12:31 PM.

#45 pga43

pga43

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 6,276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

View PostHCEG1, on 28 April 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

View Postpga43, on 28 April 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

Greg

Greg

I've been involved in measuring drives in the Dubai Desert Classic three times and the Abu Dhabi Open twice

Tiger hit his 2 iron at Hoylake because it was held in a windless heatwave. When it blows he has to hit driver, which is why he's never contended in an Open with any kind of wind.

Well since I covered 26 PGA Tour events last year (17 in 2009 and 10 already this year) and see which holes the Tour officials select each tournament firsthand.  Then watching how the players play them in their practice rounds leads me to believe I might know a bit more about how the players do things on the PGA Tour when it comes to playing the driving distance measured holes.  

And since Gary Woodland is a PGA Tour member and we are discussing Gary's driving distance (or in your case, his lack of driving distance), I'd say I may have a bit know knowledge on the matter than your self admitted limited experience from 5 European Tour events, which Gary didn't play in.Posted Image

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

#46 HCEG1

HCEG1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

[/quote]

Well since I covered 26 PGA Tour events last year (17 in 2009 and 10 already this year) and see which holes the Tour officials select each tournament firsthand.  Then watching how the players play them in their practice rounds leads me to believe I might know a bit more about how the players do things on the PGA Tour when it comes to playing the driving distance measured holes.  

And since Gary Woodland is a PGA Tour member and we are discussing Gary's driving distance (or in your case, his lack of driving distance), I'd say I may have a bit know knowledge on the matter than your self admitted limited experience from 5 European Tour events, which Gary didn't play in.

Greg
[/quote]

Well, seems like we're both pretty well informed

Would you know which 2 holes they use at Augusta and if so, would you be good enough to share this info with the membership? I recall it has come up previously and no one seemed to know the answer

Thanks in advance

#47 pga43

pga43

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 6,276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

View PostHCEG1, on 28 April 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

Well, seems like we're both pretty well informed

Would you know which 2 holes they use at Augusta and if so, would you be good enough to share this info with the membership? I recall it has come up previously and no one seemed to know the answer

Thanks in advance

The Masters is not a PGA Tour event and I do not believe they put marks out on the edge of the fairways like they use on the PGA Tour, so not sure.

Greg
GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

#48 fearnobogey

fearnobogey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126459
  • Ebay ID:mattyb929
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

I know this has turned into a driving distance topic and not GWs bag.  But I have a question.... Driving distance holes have to be fairway drives to count? So, if the guy only hits one driving distance fairway in a tournament then thats his driving distance for the week?

#49 QMany

QMany

Flush Sprayer

• 4,560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113894
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1076

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

Just watched the video again.

Surprised me to hear him say that he is playing the 09' ProV1, not a ProV1x.
Stage 2 Tour (9.5) NV 75
Stage 2 Tour (14.5) VS Proto 80
Stage 2 Tour (17.5) Black Tie Hm3 95
TEE CB ProH (20.5) KBS Tour
TP MB-MC (4-PW) KBS Tour
TP (54 and 60) KBS Tour

#50 justinp766

justinp766

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106668
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:11 AM

Is that lead tape on his Two iron?? what is that?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 cbcrews

cbcrews

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47119
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

View Postjustinp766, on 12 May 2011 - 03:11 AM, said:

Titleist 503i driving iron tour only they say he's one of something like three players who use it the shaft is stupid stiff

#52 bvmiller8244

bvmiller8244

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128716
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

What does rock chalk mean?

#53 oldhamer25

oldhamer25

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

View Postbvmiller8244, on 21 May 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

What does rock chalk mean?

It is the chant that the fans do at Kansas basketball games when the game is in hand.  Rock... Chalk..... Jayhawk.... KU...
Woodland played basketball for a year at a DII school here in Kansas and then transfered to KU to play golf.

#54 ProForceX

ProForceX

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113832
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

View Postcbcrews, on 12 May 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

View Postjustinp766, on 12 May 2011 - 03:11 AM, said:

Titleist 503i driving iron tour only they say he's one of something like three players who use it the shaft is stupid stiff

It's just a CB 2 iron. The 503i's are a muscle back design.

#55 bunkerputt

bunkerputt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86705
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

Dude's got my driver shaft!  Love that thing.  So much control for strong swingers.  You can just hammer the ball and it stays on line all day long.  I bet his is tipped, though..  :hi:

#56 pga43

pga43

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 6,276 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

GolfWRX.com video interview and win this year.

Greg
GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

#57 mdb0103

mdb0103

Major Winner

• 2,202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

117 clubhead speed with the three wood on 18 yesterday. Phil's driver was the same. Big boy pants.
Titleist 913 D2 TS 6.2
Titleist 913F S+ 72
Titleist 913h S+ 82
Titleist 712 AP2 C Taper
Vokey SM4 50, 55, 60
Odyssey ProType Tour 2

#58 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• 18,385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 1897

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

The dude just smashes it!
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#59 dsparob

dsparob

fairways and greens pard...

• 557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78875
  • Ebay ID:dsparob
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

I saw that too, he hit 3 wood when Bubba and Phil hit driver.  117mph swing speed and 170+ ball speed, 279 carry with a 3 wood, and he sure didn't look like he was going after it....crazy.

#60 mbjone

mbjone

PGA Club Professional

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86857
  • Ebay ID:mbjone
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

View Postbunkerputt, on 10 June 2011 - 04:04 PM, said:

Dude's got my driver shaft!  Love that thing.  So much control for strong swingers.  You can just hammer the ball and it stays on line all day long.  I bet his is tipped, though..  :hi:

You use R.I.P. 90x in your driver? Tour issue?

Edited by mbjone, 16 September 2011 - 01:54 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors