Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do you clean your golf ball on the green?

114 replies to this topic

#1 ktkn

ktkn

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93286
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

How do you guys clean your golf ball when you're on the green.  The ball could be covered in mud or dirt from a wedge shot or the like.  Do you walk back to the bag for your towel?  Are there any products out there that you guys have tried and love?  Please share as I'm wondering what the most practical and convenient product that people like.

I've stumbled upon mini towel type products that you can have in your pocket:

http://www.thepocket...om/products.php

http://getballzee.co...ll_cleaner.html

These ones have the bristles but of course can't really have them in your pocket:

http://www.thetwistercleaner.com/

The ones in your pocket seem to be the most convenient but I'm not sure how they will last an entire round?  I would assume they would get incredibly dirty and wouldn't clean very well especially later on in the round.  

Anybody have their 2 cents they would like to share?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

I just toss mine to my caddy- spoilt!  

But back in another world when I had to lug my own bag/ or push a cart, I liked the guys that took their towel onto the green. Clean the ball on the spot and just dump it on the ground behind them when they putt- gather them up on the way off the green and use a mini caribiner to make it easy to get on and off the bag. Speeds things up. I guess this is a no no these days!!

#3 ThreeOnParFive

ThreeOnParFive

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121266
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

I carry my towel to the green and spit shine the ball.  I'd like to try that frog ball cleaning towel but they are WAY too proud of that thing.

#4 BigGameDb

BigGameDb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108292
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

My hand.

#5 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106301
GolfWRX Likes : 1170

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

If there are dirt chunks I wipe them off on the ground and then use my hands to clean the rest.  If no chunks, I just use my hands.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

#6 Olson12

Olson12

#TeamJetSpeed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116028
  • Handicap:2.9
  • Ebay ID:blakewolson12
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

no mud = licking the ball to clean and rubbing with hands

mud = wiping ball on ground then licking the ball to clean.

#7 ktkn

ktkn

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93286

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

View PostCornbread, on 01 March 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

Next questions...  
How do you remove your club from your bag for each shot?  
Or,
How do you stop the Golf Cart..

It's simply a question to see if people are taking advantage or using any new products out there that I might not be aware of.  I was especially curioius if anybody used those cleaners that used the bristles and see if they are practical.  There are a lot of products out there simply for this that many people are probably not aware of.

There are so many products out there, so I don't see this as being a bad question at all.  it's like asking how people like to mark their ball with what product etc.  If you did not like the post nor if you have nothing productive to share, then perhaps you could just simply skip the post.

#8 glfpunk

glfpunk

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121448
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

View Postblakewolson, on 01 March 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

I wouldn't advise licking the ball unless you like fertilizer and pesticides in your body.

#9 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1085

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

View Postktkn, on 01 March 2011 - 05:37 AM, said:

How do you guys clean your golf ball when you're on the green.  The ball could be covered in mud or dirt from a wedge shot or the like.  Do you walk back to the bag for your towel?  Are there any products out there that you guys have tried and love?  Please share as I'm wondering what the most practical and convenient product that people like.

I've stumbled upon mini towel type products that you can have in your pocket:

http://www.thepocket...om/products.php

http://getballzee.co...ll_cleaner.html

These ones have the bristles but of course can't really have them in your pocket:

http://www.thetwistercleaner.com/

The ones in your pocket seem to be the most convenient but I'm not sure how they will last an entire round?  I would assume they would get incredibly dirty and wouldn't clean very well especially later on in the round.  

Anybody have their 2 cents they would like to share?

I've been playing for 20yrs now.  Don't get why people buy "special" towels for anything golf related when a medium size towel works fine.  I carrry two towels.  The large cotton towel is wet 1/3rd of an end, which works fine to clean golf balls and I carry it to the green.  Also I carry a white cotton wash cloth for my face and hands, which is left on the bag...  Wife puts them in the washer every week or two.
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#10 bpark1210

bpark1210

Pacific Dunes #2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79766
  • Handicap:8.6
  • Ebay ID:Bpark1210
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

I've used the ballzee for 2 or 3 seasons now, works great and is compact enough you don't even realize it's in your pocket. Playing in NW weather produces a lot of mud balls and the ballzee is a must. It's a pet peeve of mine when I see dirt and mud spots all over my ball while trying to putt.

If it's summertime and the balls generally stay dry with just grass stains I'll clean it Freddie Couples style by licking my thumb and using the thumb to clean the ball. I noticed him doing this last year at the US Senior open. He just makes everything he does look so nonchalant and cool Posted Image

Bstone J40 445 10.5°::Fuji M Speeder 6.2
Adams XTD Ti 15° :: Matrix 7Q3 S
Bstone Airmuscle 2i 19° :: PX HD2
Bstone J40 DPC :: KBS Tour S+
Fourteen RM12 52°/58° :: KBS Tour Black
Piretti Teramo CS
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 huskerblue

huskerblue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116287
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Towel with a wet end for years and years and years. Spit on it when needed, wipe it down, great.

Won a Frogger towel in an event. I use it exclusively now. It actually works pretty well. One thing I notice is that it's pretty heavy when the inside is soaked good.

Carbiner... off the bag to the green, wipe the ball down, putt out, all back to the bag... carbiner, voila. The Frogger towel is really good for wiping down your club heads too.

If it was less expensive I think they would sell more. As is, I don't see too many nor do I think they will sell a lot at $30 or whatever the cost.
SLDR 430 TP, 9*
SLDR, 15*
Adams Pro Black 9031, 20*
Mizuno MP68
Mizuno MP T4 wedges
"Cheater" 49" Odyssey 7

#12 honketyhank

honketyhank

Uncle Horace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68488
  • Ebay ID:honketyhank
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

I got one of these as a giveaway at the recent golf show in Portland, Oregon. GolfRound. So far it seems OK. It does compete for valuable pocket space, but it does not take up a whole pocket (unless you are wearing jeans-cut trousers). But if you have to clean off a mud clod or goosepoop or something like that, I think you would be better off with a regular towel or just rubbing the ball on the grass.

Don't lick if you have ducks and geese. All kinds of nasty stuff in bird poop. Far worse than fertilizer and pesticides.

#13 beck

beck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121223

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

Ballzee is a great product. I have used one for years. They are low profile and don't add bulk in your pocket. They generally stay damp for 18 holes and they work great. I have used the small Froggy towel and while it works fine it's bulkier than the ballzee.

#14 drck1000

drck1000

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41544
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

I usually just wet one end of a towel and I bring it with me to the green and wipe my ball before putting.  I just don't like it when I see dirt or grass marks on the ball when putting.  If just a light layer, I don't think it will affect the roll, but just distracting.  Others I play with sometimes don't even mark their ball and just walk up and putt the ball from where it ended up after the approach shot or chipping on.  

I also use the same towel to wipe the clubhead if any dirt or grass is left on it after shaking off most of the loose stuff.  I have a couple of larger 20"x40" golf towels, but have recently switched to the waffle type microfiber towels that I used to use for my cars.  The microfiber towels that I have for my car aren't that cheap either.  

I've been interested in the Frogger towel and would get one if it were cheaper.  

#15 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3580
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

On my bag I have one dry and one wet towel.  For cleaning balls on the green, I have the BALLZEE Golf Ball Cleaner which I keep in my pocket.  They are cheep, lightweight and get the job done.

Ping Driver G25 - 9.5°
Callaway XHot fairway woods
Titleist 710 AP1 irons - 6 to GW
Titleist Vokey wedges SM5 56s & 60m
Callaway HEX Chrome Yellow
Rife Mid Mallet 400 w/ SuperStroke 3.0

#16 golfingnut300

golfingnut300

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50979
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Bought one of these http://rulegolf.com/...trong-twentyone and love it.  Hangs in my back pocket and doesnt get my pants wet.  I tried grabbing a towel from the bag but forgot more times than remembered.  Also have used the Ballzee, like it, but lost 2.

#17 ThreeOnParFive

ThreeOnParFive

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

View Postgolfingnut300, on 02 March 2011 - 09:17 AM, said:

Bought one of these http://rulegolf.com/...trong-twentyone and love it.  Hangs in my back pocket and doesnt get my pants wet.  I tried grabbing a towel from the bag but forgot more times than remembered.  Also have used the Ballzee, like it, but lost 2.

Thanks.....I might have to check that one out!  I really like the size and design of that Frog one but they are just too expensive.

#18 ThreeOnParFive

ThreeOnParFive

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

Funny.....I went to the range tonight and the shop there happened to have some Ballzees for $2 each.  I bought 2!

#19 ian.hume

ian.hume

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109484
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

i have tried for years to break this habit! haha glad I am not the only one who does this!

#20 Inochi

Inochi

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117827

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

I use the frogger golf ball towel.  Works well.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68127
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

View Postgolfingnut300, on 02 March 2011 - 09:17 AM, said:

Wow, this is the first "premium" towel I've ever thought looked worth more then $5.  Might have to get one of those.

#22 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

View PostPepperturbo, on 01 March 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

I've been playing for 20yrs now.  Don't get why people buy "special" towels for anything golf related when a medium size towel works fine.  I carrry two towels.  The large cotton towel is wet 1/3rd of an end, which works fine to clean golf balls and I carry it to the green.  Also I carry a white cotton wash cloth for my face and hands, which is left on the bag...  Wife puts them in the washer every week or two.

+1  It is amazing what people will do to complicate their lives.  I'll have to check, is there a golf ball cleaning app yet?

RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#23 Fore_Man

Fore_Man

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68672
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

depends on how dirty the ball is.   Usually my hands...  but if needed, I use the inside of the bottom my shirt. Works like a charm, and no stains visible!

#24 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:45 AM

This.

#25 Par Fore

Par Fore

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49091
  • Ebay ID:barneys6
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:48 AM

spit, rub on pants, repeat.

#26 Tee2Green85

Tee2Green85

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121401
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

casual play i carry two of the same balls, i just swap it when i mark it. Tournament play i just use a wet towel. i have a ball washer on my cart also.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*
Cobra Bio Cell 2/3 16* Hybrid
Titleist 714MB 3-9 PW
Titleist SM5 F Grind 52*
Titleist SM5 M Grind 56*
Titleist SM5 M Grind 60*

#27 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82498
  • Handicap:13.7
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

Ballzee is a great product. I have used one for years.

#28 NakMan

NakMan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117268
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

View PostTee2Green85, on 03 March 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

casual play i carry two of the same balls, i just swap it when i mark it. Tournament play i just use a wet towel. i have a ball washer on my cart also.

Fine for casual play but still illegal I believe.

#29 jeffalvarez

jeffalvarez

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10166
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

Wet one end of the towel.

#30 dasbill

dasbill

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54066
  • Ebay ID:pdasbill
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

I use the pocket bc.  Usually order two per year.  They work great and don't take up much space in your pocket and it beats carrying around a towel on the green all the time.  Try them you will like them.  Disclamer:  I am not affiliated with pocket bc in any way, I just stumbled onto them on the internet a few years ago.  Just letting you know what works for me.  Not a small expense to try, but it will take a little longet to get here because they come out of canada.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors