Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Titleist vs Mizuno Irons


58 replies to this topic

#1 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
  • Joined: 01/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

have owned titleist and mizuno irons and love both. as a 4 handicapper i was wondering if the Ap2/MP 53 are similiar and i believe are on the fence between game improvement/players club. also the CB/MP 63 what is the difference between the 2 sets, and are they a players club only?  have demoed all 4 sets  but only the AP2 outside off the grass. Living in new york isnt really that much fun and im anxious to start the season with a new set of irons. any help with forgiveness between the 4 clubs would be appreciated.s


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Ace In The Hole

Ace In The Hole

    What blocks growth is ignorance.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23701
  • Joined: 01/07/2007
  • Ebay ID:caferacer19
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

IMO forgivness would go as follows. Most to least AP2, MP 53, 710 CB, MP-63. All four would be great sets for a 4 cap, you just need to decide what feels the best. For me I have never been a fan of Titleist forgeings, not that I can feel a difference, but I don't care for the clicky sound of them. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

#3 J.W.

J.W.

    Made For or Real Deal?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 1613

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

View PostAce In The Hole, on 21 February 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

IMO forgivness would go as follows. Most to least AP2, MP 53, 710 CB, MP-63. All four would be great sets for a 4 cap, you just need to decide what feels the best. For me I have never been a fan of Titleist forgeings, not that I can feel a difference, but I don't care for the clicky sound of them. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

In that case, sound is feel...no?  I agree with this post as well.  The 53's to me look goofy in the short irons so they'd be out.  I've played both the 710 AP2 and 710 CB, both excellent sets.  The AP2 have more of a muted soft feel compared to the CB.  The MP-63 have your classic sounding/feeling Mizuno forging.  I prefer the look the 710 CB both in the bag and more importantly from address.  They have slightly less offset IMO and a little better looking topline.  Can't go wrong with any of these sets at your skill level.

#4 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
  • Joined: 01/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:26 AM

View PostDizz, on 21 February 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

View PostAce In The Hole, on 21 February 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

IMO forgivness would go as follows. Most to least AP2, MP 53, 710 CB, MP-63. All four would be great sets for a 4 cap, you just need to decide what feels the best. For me I have never been a fan of Titleist forgeings, not that I can feel a difference, but I don't care for the clicky sound of them. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

In that case, sound is feel...no?  I agree with this post as well.  The 53's to me look goofy in the short irons so they'd be out.  I've played both the 710 AP2 and 710 CB, both excellent sets.  The AP2 have more of a muted soft feel compared to the CB.  The MP-63 have your classic sounding/feeling Mizuno forging.  I prefer the look the 710 CB both in the bag and more importantly from address.  They have slightly less offset IMO and a little better looking topline.  Can't go wrong with any of these sets at your skill level.

thanks. yeah the 53 short irons are a tad chunky right? and the long irons have that cavity thing in the back, which i dont like. offset is big for me, i dont like it, and the titleist offset in both sets looks very good to my eye. feel is secondary for me, i need to like the way it looks.

#5 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

for those of you who have hit both the AP2 and the MP53...which is more "game-improvement" of the 2 sets?  thanks


#6 bd8802

bd8802

    Crescent Fresh

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2500
  • Joined: 07/13/2005
  • Location:Lawrence KS
  • Handicap:8.4
  • Ebay ID:bryan.8802
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

Mizuno short irons have always looks kinda chunky to me.  It's an acquired taste that I don't mind.  I couldn't tell a ton of difference in looks between the MP53 and the MP63 in the short irons as the added loft hides the bigger top line a little.  The MP53 are a tad bit longer feel to toe.  Not enough to notice unless I was looking really hard.

From looks: CB > 63 > 53 > AP2
From forgiveness:  53 > AP2 > CB = 63

I've never gotten comfortable over the ball with the AP2s.  For some reason the do not fit my eye, but i love the look of the CBs.

I'm really struggling with determining what I want/need.  I want classic looks, but am thinking I should get something with a little more forgiveness.  Leaning towards the MP53s right now.  Add the Callaway RAZR forged into the mix and I am even more confused.  Overall, I think they are all good clubs.  Just depends what you are comfortable and confident looking over and swinging.
Ping G25 | AD DI6
Callaway X2 Hot Pro | Tour Green
Ping G25 | DG S300
Cleveland RTX | DG S200
Taylor Made Ghost Spider

#7 moonshine

moonshine

    The Trace!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Joined: 06/14/2007
  • Location:Prattville, AL
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

I always post about maltby, according to the "way" he measures, the design of the ap2 is the most forgiving.  I am a 4 and play mp68, have no problem with forgiveness.  My miss tends not to be toe or heel, but when I hit toe shots I lose very little.  I was told the clicky comes from the way the iron is chromed and had another tell me when mizzy started grain flow forging, the production cost went down and true mizuno forging prowess went out the door.  I would buy any of the four sets, probably the mp53 last though.  Get the best deal and go from there.

#8 ChipDriver

ChipDriver

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105907
  • Joined: 04/06/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

View Posthurricanes7, on 21 February 2011 - 10:00 AM, said:

have owned titleist and mizuno irons and love both. as a 4 handicapper i was wondering if the Ap2/MP 53 are similiar and i believe are on the fence between game improvement/players club. also the CB/MP 63 what is the difference between the 2 sets, and are they a players club only?  have demoed all 4 sets  but only the AP2 outside off the grass. Living in new york isnt really that much fun and im anxious to start the season with a new set of irons. any help with forgiveness between the 4 clubs would be appreciated.s

At a 4 hcap - I assume you're a decent ball striker and hit the sweetspot more often than not?  What is your preferred shot shape?

It depends also on what your primary shot shape is....if you play it straight most of the time - get the AP2/MP53's.  If you like to shape the ball then get the CB/MP63s.  Pretty simple.  The long irons will be the big difference for most folks - I'm sure the Ap2/MP53s are easier to hit than the CB/MP63 in the longs.

But I bet you're like most players....you can hit any club well - so you'll be enticed by feel, and looks.

Not a bad way to go either.  :)


More important than any of those things - spend time on the shafts - those will be the difference between "liking" your irons, and "loving" them.

#9 J.W.

J.W.

    Made For or Real Deal?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 1613

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

View Postbd8802, on 21 February 2011 - 11:48 AM, said:

Mizuno short irons have always looks kinda chunky to me.  It's an acquired taste that I don't mind.  I couldn't tell a ton of difference in looks between the MP53 and the MP63 in the short irons as the added loft hides the bigger top line a little.  The MP53 are a tad bit longer feel to toe.  Not enough to notice unless I was looking really hard.

From looks: CB > 63 > 53 > AP2
From forgiveness:  53 > AP2 > CB = 63

I've never gotten comfortable over the ball with the AP2s.  For some reason the do not fit my eye, but i love the look of the CBs.

I'm really struggling with determining what I want/need.  I want classic looks, but am thinking I should get something with a little more forgiveness.  Leaning towards the MP53s right now.  Add the Callaway RAZR forged into the mix and I am even more confused.  Overall, I think they are all good clubs.  Just depends what you are comfortable and confident looking over and swinging.

Really solid thoughts here, one thing I notice about most posters comparing the AP2 to CB...everyone seems to think the CB is better looking.  But if you check the specs from the 5 iron down to the PW the AP2 have .010 more offset in every club...which isn't much.

Edited by Dizz, 21 February 2011 - 12:00 PM.


#10 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
  • Joined: 01/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

View PostDizz, on 21 February 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

View Postbd8802, on 21 February 2011 - 11:48 AM, said:

Mizuno short irons have always looks kinda chunky to me.  It's an acquired taste that I don't mind.  I couldn't tell a ton of difference in looks between the MP53 and the MP63 in the short irons as the added loft hides the bigger top line a little.  The MP53 are a tad bit longer feel to toe.  Not enough to notice unless I was looking really hard.

From looks: CB > 63 > 53 > AP2
From forgiveness:  53 > AP2 > CB = 63

I've never gotten comfortable over the ball with the AP2s.  For some reason the do not fit my eye, but i love the look of the CBs.

I'm really struggling with determining what I want/need.  I want classic looks, but am thinking I should get something with a little more forgiveness.  Leaning towards the MP53s right now.  Add the Callaway RAZR forged into the mix and I am even more confused.  Overall, I think they are all good clubs.  Just depends what you are comfortable and confident looking over and swinging.

Really solid thoughts here, one thing I notice about most posters comparing the AP2 to CB...everyone seems to think the CB is better looking.  But if you check the specs from the 5 iron down to the PW the AP2 have .010 more offset in every club...which isn't much.

i hit the ball pretty solid, and prefer straight ball flight, only curving it when i need to. i draw it most of the time, miss is an over draw, and when i dont hit it well, its thin, definitely not a digger. i found the AP2 a shade more forgiving then the 53. but i hit the ap2 outside, the 53 inside. i realize shaft is big, thanks for the info


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 mckennwa

mckennwa

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38587
  • Joined: 08/31/2007
  • Location:Indianapolis, IN
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:bill-rhit
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

How about a 53/63 combo set, or even a AP2/CB combo set?

#12 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
  • Joined: 01/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

View Postmckennwa, on 21 February 2011 - 12:10 PM, said:

How about a 53/63 combo set, or even a AP2/CB combo set?

great idea, how come i didnt think of that?
another question- any idea which set has the least amount of bounce? i need the least amount as possible so i dont hit it thin

#13 randomhero1090

randomhero1090

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64872
  • Joined: 09/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

2 handicap.  85mph SS with 6i.  105 with driver.  

I went through the fitting process both on the range and in the sim.  My numbers were better with the 63s over the 53s.  Lower flight and a touch more carry with the 63s when compared to the 53s.  I honestly didn't notice much of a difference in terms of forgiveness.  At address, the 63s just look that much better.

Thought about doing a combo...  53s in the 4-6i.  But after hitting the 5i &6i in both the 53 and 63 with the KBS Tour Stiff, again, better ballflight in the 63s and I really didn't notice a difference in forgiveness.





#14 bd8802

bd8802

    Crescent Fresh

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2500
  • Joined: 07/13/2005
  • Location:Lawrence KS
  • Handicap:8.4
  • Ebay ID:bryan.8802
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

View PostDizz, on 21 February 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

Really solid thoughts here, one thing I notice about most posters comparing the AP2 to CB...everyone seems to think the CB is better looking.  But if you check the specs from the 5 iron down to the PW the AP2 have .010 more offset in every club...which isn't much.

For me, the looks issue is with the top line.  Its bigger, and it bothers me when i sit them down side by side.  It might be totally mental, cause other top lines don't bother me.  Plus, I only think they are marginally more forgiving, so if I would have to game a Titleist iron, it would be the CB.
Ping G25 | AD DI6
Callaway X2 Hot Pro | Tour Green
Ping G25 | DG S300
Cleveland RTX | DG S200
Taylor Made Ghost Spider

#15 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

a lot of people feel that the CB's are as forgiving as any of the clubs...with the exception of the AP1's.


#16 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
  • Joined: 01/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 21 February 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

a lot of people feel that the CB's are as forgiving as any of the clubs...with the exception of the AP1's.

maybe its mental but the AP2 "look" more forgiving. is that possible

#17 designdog

designdog

    Advanced

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15950
  • Joined: 07/06/2006
  • Location:Richmond VA
  • Ebay ID:dalandog
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

I have all of these except the MP 63, which is not available for lefties. I would reccomend a blended set of CB/MB, or MP 53/68. I am now playing 4-6CB/7-PW MB and really like it. These are 2 degrees strong, which gives me a little more on the 4 and on the blades if/when I hit them thin.

Also consider the new Nike VR pro combos, which may make a Nike player out of me yet…

#18 MNLH11

MNLH11

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2243
  • Joined: 07/07/2005
  • Location:MN
  • Ebay ID:jgl111
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

View Postdesigndog, on 21 February 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

I have all of these except the MP 63, which is not available for lefties. I would reccomend a blended set of CB/MB, or MP 53/68. I am now playing 4-6CB/7-PW MB and really like it. These are 2 degrees strong, which gives me a little more on the 4 and on the blades if/when I hit them thin.

Also consider the new Nike VR pro combos, which may make a Nike player out of me yet…

I like the way this 'Dog thinks.  +1

#19 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

View Posthurricanes7, on 21 February 2011 - 07:21 PM, said:

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 21 February 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

a lot of people feel that the CB's are as forgiving as any of the clubs...with the exception of the AP1's.

maybe its mental but the AP2 "look" more forgiving. is that possible


absolutely possible...the game is SO mental !  Posted Image



#20 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

anyone else ?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
  • Joined: 01/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 22 February 2011 - 06:18 PM, said:

anyone else ?


the truth for me is that the CB look harder to hit, and i know when im 180 out with a sidehill lie into the wind, the CB is going to look like it might not get the job done. the AP2 looks more like it could get the job done. maybe the golfers who have said the CB are just as forgiving as the AP2 are better then me and cant tell the difference.
i cant imagine a club that looks that small could be as forgiving as the AP2. i also find it strange the several tour pros went for the AP2 over the CB's.  why would zach johnson go for the AP2 when he is certainly good enough to play the CB? i guess ball flight is everything to them. The CB look very nice though, im thinking right now about a combo set.



#22 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

View Posthurricanes7, on 22 February 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 22 February 2011 - 06:18 PM, said:

anyone else ?


the truth for me is that the CB look harder to hit, and i know when im 180 out with a sidehill lie into the wind, the CB is going to look like it might not get the job done. the AP2 looks more like it could get the job done. maybe the golfers who have said the CB are just as forgiving as the AP2 are better then me and cant tell the difference.
i cant imagine a club that looks that small could be as forgiving as the AP2. i also find it strange the several tour pros went for the AP2 over the CB's.  why would zach johnson go for the AP2 when he is certainly good enough to play the CB? i guess ball flight is everything to them. The CB look very nice though, im thinking right now about a combo set.


yeah....the sole on the CB and the MP53 looks pretty thin...the sole on the AP2 a little bigger...may help with more forgiveness.




#23 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
  • Joined: 01/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 23 February 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

View Posthurricanes7, on 22 February 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 22 February 2011 - 06:18 PM, said:

anyone else ?


the truth for me is that the CB look harder to hit, and i know when im 180 out with a sidehill lie into the wind, the CB is going to look like it might not get the job done. the AP2 looks more like it could get the job done. maybe the golfers who have said the CB are just as forgiving as the AP2 are better then me and cant tell the difference.
i cant imagine a club that looks that small could be as forgiving as the AP2. i also find it strange the several tour pros went for the AP2 over the CB's.  why would zach johnson go for the AP2 when he is certainly good enough to play the CB? i guess ball flight is everything to them. The CB look very nice though, im thinking right now about a combo set.


yeah....the sole on the CB and the MP53 looks pretty thin...the sole on the AP2 a little bigger...may help with more forgiveness.



gotta help right, i mean its bigger , its designed to be more forgiving right

#24 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

View Posthurricanes7, on 23 February 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 23 February 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

View Posthurricanes7, on 22 February 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 22 February 2011 - 06:18 PM, said:

anyone else ?


the truth for me is that the CB look harder to hit, and i know when im 180 out with a sidehill lie into the wind, the CB is going to look like it might not get the job done. the AP2 looks more like it could get the job done. maybe the golfers who have said the CB are just as forgiving as the AP2 are better then me and cant tell the difference.
i cant imagine a club that looks that small could be as forgiving as the AP2. i also find it strange the several tour pros went for the AP2 over the CB's.  why would zach johnson go for the AP2 when he is certainly good enough to play the CB? i guess ball flight is everything to them. The CB look very nice though, im thinking right now about a combo set.


yeah....the sole on the CB and the MP53 looks pretty thin...the sole on the AP2 a little bigger...may help with more forgiveness.



gotta help right, i mean its bigger , its designed to be more forgiving right


for sure !



#25 pscaswells

pscaswells

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15266
  • Joined: 06/05/2006
  • Location:Honolulu, HI
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

I just ordered a 53/63 set from Mizuno with the Nippon NS PRO 950 stiff shafts.  I've been playing a mixed set already between Adams CB2's and MP-60's.  It was time to upgrade, I am stoked to get them.

I went with 5-7 53's and 8-PW 63's...wonder if I should have gone 7-PW 63's?  I can always order a 7 later if needed.


#26 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
  • Joined: 01/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

View Postpscaswells, on 23 February 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

I just ordered a 53/63 set from Mizuno with the Nippon NS PRO 950 stiff shafts.  I've been playing a mixed set already between Adams CB2's and MP-60's.  It was time to upgrade, I am stoked to get them.

I went with 5-7 53's and 8-PW 63's...wonder if I should have gone 7-PW 63's?  I can always order a 7 later if needed.

good luck, that set sounds perfect. good move

#27 bd8802

bd8802

    Crescent Fresh

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2500
  • Joined: 07/13/2005
  • Location:Lawrence KS
  • Handicap:8.4
  • Ebay ID:bryan.8802
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

View Postpscaswells, on 23 February 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

I went with 5-7 53's and 8-PW 63's...wonder if I should have gone 7-PW 63's?  I can always order a 7 later if needed.

I think this sounds perfect.  If I go with a combo set.  I think this is where I would make the cut also.  My 8i goes around 160.   That is about the distance I start thinking that I can realistically attack.  If I am hitting 5-7 irons into greens I am just wanting it to be on.
Ping G25 | AD DI6
Callaway X2 Hot Pro | Tour Green
Ping G25 | DG S300
Cleveland RTX | DG S200
Taylor Made Ghost Spider

#28 J.W.

J.W.

    Made For or Real Deal?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 1613

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

View Posthurricanes7, on 23 February 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 23 February 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

View Posthurricanes7, on 22 February 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 22 February 2011 - 06:18 PM, said:

anyone else ?


the truth for me is that the CB look harder to hit, and i know when im 180 out with a sidehill lie into the wind, the CB is going to look like it might not get the job done. the AP2 looks more like it could get the job done. maybe the golfers who have said the CB are just as forgiving as the AP2 are better then me and cant tell the difference.
i cant imagine a club that looks that small could be as forgiving as the AP2. i also find it strange the several tour pros went for the AP2 over the CB's.  why would zach johnson go for the AP2 when he is certainly good enough to play the CB? i guess ball flight is everything to them. The CB look very nice though, im thinking right now about a combo set.


yeah....the sole on the CB and the MP53 looks pretty thin...the sole on the AP2 a little bigger...may help with more forgiveness.



gotta help right, i mean its bigger , its designed to be more forgiving right

It will definitely launch it higher.  I've had quite a bit of time with both sets and I'm here to tell you the forgiveness difference is very marginal.  I honestly don't notice a bit of difference through the 5 iron.  Of course you may get away with a bit more depending on your ballstriking but for me personally I don't notice much difference.  If you can play the AP2 successfully the CB won't be too hard for you.  Pick the one that's more confidence inspiring, looks and feels better to you and be done with it.  I don't recommend the AP2/CB combo set because the feels are so much different.

#29 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

View Postbd8802, on 23 February 2011 - 10:18 PM, said:

View Postpscaswells, on 23 February 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

I went with 5-7 53's and 8-PW 63's...wonder if I should have gone 7-PW 63's?  I can always order a 7 later if needed.

I think this sounds perfect.  If I go with a combo set.  I think this is where I would make the cut also.  My 8i goes around 160.   That is about the distance I start thinking that I can realistically attack.  If I am hitting 5-7 irons into greens I am just wanting it to be on.

Interesting hearing golfers starting their iron set at the 5-iron...I should try this...for an "easier" set to hit using a 4-hybrid.  Anyone else have no more than a 5 iron ?




#30 pscaswells

pscaswells

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15266
  • Joined: 06/05/2006
  • Location:Honolulu, HI
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:14 AM

View Postbd8802, on 23 February 2011 - 10:18 PM, said:

View Postpscaswells, on 23 February 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

I went with 5-7 53's and 8-PW 63's...wonder if I should have gone 7-PW 63's?  I can always order a 7 later if needed.

I think this sounds perfect.  If I go with a combo set.  I think this is where I would make the cut also.  My 8i goes around 160.   That is about the distance I start thinking that I can realistically attack.  If I am hitting 5-7 irons into greens I am just wanting it to be on.
I think it will work, agree with your attack comment.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors