Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Flex of Ping ZZ-lite shafts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chicagoben

chicagoben

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106954
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:31 AM

Hello all,

I'm looking for shafts with which to reshaft my old Ping Eye2 irons.  I just took them out of the closet the other day, for no other reason than to use an "easy to hit" set early in the season while waiting to find my form.  It has been at least 4 years since I have played them - my regular set are Maltby MMB Forged irons with TT DG Lite S400 shafts, soft stepped x 1.  They've been no problem.  Well I took these Eye2s out to the range the other day and these ZZ-Lite shafts are like boards!  I have no feel with them whatsoever and though the dispersion was fairly tight, everything was to the right.  Everything.  That's unusual for me, as I usually draw the ball.  On one hand, I suppose it wouldn't be such a bad thing for a guy like me to play stiff shafts to help me fight the Lefts, but these seem ridiculous.  I had a set of Zings that I bought on eBay a year and a half ago that also had ZZ-lites and these were totally boardy too.  

So what more well known shafts do these ZZ-lites compare to?  I've hit DG S300s and the DG Lite S400s like I said, as well as the Project X 5.5 and 5.0.  Those are all OK.  The PX 6.0s are a little too boardy for me as well.  My index is 5.7 and driver SS in low 100s, 5 lron SS in the low 80s.  I have a smooth but slightly faster than average tempo.  

Has anyone else had this experience with the ZZ-lite shafts?  And if you reshafted them, what did you use?  I'm interested to hear the combinations other people have tried.  I have a total of 2 Eye2 sets and 1 Zing set, all with the ZZ-lites, and my Dad and brother have my other 2 sets.  I'm thinking of reshafting for them too because their swing speeds are slower than mine and if these ZZ-lites are too stiff for me then they're practically unplayable for them, especially my 72 year old Dad.  

Looking forward to hearing from you all..

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 coffee-cup

coffee-cup

Advanced

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80290
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

They play rather stiff for me. Sadly, that's all the info I have for you. I prefer the zz-65 myself. It's a nice shaft with a little more feel to it.

#3 turnbowm

turnbowm

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19962
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

Had a set of Eye 2s with ZZ-Lite and had the flex checked on several irons.  Verdict: X-flex!

#4 TJCDAS

TJCDAS

I was cured, all right!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77417
  • Handicap:Me
GolfWRX Likes : 759

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

TT Lite XL would be the closest available today.  My understanding is that the TT Lite line is ZZ Lite with small modificatios to Pings spec.

I have the Z-Z65 and the JZ in some Ping irons and I like the JZ as they seem smoother than the Z-Z65.

I have never played the ZZ-Lites.

#5 sandman

sandman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3711
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

Karsten believed in very stiff shafts and lighter heads for his irons.  His thinking was this offered the best control and iron long distances were not as critical as having controlled and steady distances for scoring.

ZZ-Lites were a light weight, tip stiff and high kickpoint shaft. Because of the alloy used for keeping the weight down, they felt harsher to most people.  Rifle Lites had the same complaints from many because of the same reasons.

As far as reshafting, you can choose from just about any steel shaft that meets your specs needed.  I would check the headweights and if found to be light, I would soft step once or twice to keep the flex correct on the replacement shafts in order to match the heads.  You may even want to add tip weights to get the correct swingweight for you too.  Not all shafts have the same balance points and this will affect the swingweighting.  The early Pings were around C-9, pretty light for most people today and this also contributed to the stiffer feel.

Rifles will generally have a softer tip than Dynamic Golds and work well in the Pings. They will also have a softer feel than the DG shafts.  The DGSL shafts will be close in weight to the ZZ-Lites but also have a stiffer tip section and you have to be careful, if the heads turn out light, to get the flex correct.

Most good clubmakers can advise you and get you where you need to be.

Edited by sandman, 16 February 2011 - 08:09 PM.

#6 JCAG

JCAG

John Curry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21371
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

chicagoben, on 16 February 2011 - 01:31 AM, said:

Hello all,

I'm looking for shafts with which to reshaft my old Ping Eye2 irons.  I just took them out of the closet the other day, for no other reason than to use an "easy to hit" set early in the season while waiting to find my form.  It has been at least 4 years since I have played them - my regular set are Maltby MMB Forged irons with TT DG Lite S400 shafts, soft stepped x 1.  They've been no problem.  Well I took these Eye2s out to the range the other day and these ZZ-Lite shafts are like boards!  I have no feel with them whatsoever and though the dispersion was fairly tight, everything was to the right.  Everything.  That's unusual for me, as I usually draw the ball.  On one hand, I suppose it wouldn't be such a bad thing for a guy like me to play stiff shafts to help me fight the Lefts, but these seem ridiculous.  I had a set of Zings that I bought on eBay a year and a half ago that also had ZZ-lites and these were totally boardy too.  

So what more well known shafts do these ZZ-lites compare to?  I've hit DG S300s and the DG Lite S400s like I said, as well as the Project X 5.5 and 5.0.  Those are all OK.  The PX 6.0s are a little too boardy for me as well.  My index is 5.7 and driver SS in low 100s, 5 lron SS in the low 80s.  I have a smooth but slightly faster than average tempo.  

Has anyone else had this experience with the ZZ-lite shafts?  And if you reshafted them, what did you use?  I'm interested to hear the combinations other people have tried.  I have a total of 2 Eye2 sets and 1 Zing set, all with the ZZ-lites, and my Dad and brother have my other 2 sets.  I'm thinking of reshafting for them too because their swing speeds are slower than mine and if these ZZ-lites are too stiff for me then they're practically unplayable for them, especially my 72 year old Dad.  

Looking forward to hearing from you all..

Early on Ping steel shafts (like the ZZ-Lite) were considered/said to be/agreed by most, to be very stiff (leaning toward X Stiff), taper tip versions of True Temper TT Lite Shafts.

While the range of shaft selections has increased (especially lighter shafts) the belief of them being like the TT Lite, Taper Tip, Stiff, is still valid.

Edited by accufitgolf, 16 February 2011 - 08:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors