Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

R11 Face Angle Adjustment Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PingEye2

PingEye2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6898
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

I was told that the red disc on the bottom of the R11 changes the face angle simply by making to "flop" open or closed due to the way the sole sits on the ground. if this is true, and it kinda makes sense as I've seen pics with the disc off and don't see any other way it could work, for someone who both grips the club with the head off the ground and hovers the driver at address, I don't see how it would do anything. Am I missing something?

I am considering buying a SuperTri TP and would be more willing to do so if I thought that R11 face angle disc wasn't going to help, especially since i know i really like the Motore F1 that comes in the SuperTri TP but I don't want to feel like I missing out on some adjustability that could potentially be important.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

Yes. If you don't ground the club, it doesn't work. But I will say, that having changed it withy own two hands, the technology is awesome and does work, provided you ground the club. Simply amazing.

#3 muxi87

muxi87

muxi87

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32234
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, it really changes the look...I think this is the best face angle adjustment ever on a driver...the open was really open on the one I had.

#4 longbal30

longbal30

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41632
  • Ebay ID:longbal30
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

It's the most  stupid thing I have ever seen on a driver. Total gimmick. It is a completely waste of space if you hover the club, which you should, too encourage a smooth takeaway.

#5 The Big Number

The Big Number

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103895
  • Ebay ID:hendrixfan76
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

View Postlongbal30, on 11 February 2011 - 10:09 PM, said:

It's the most  stupid thing I have ever seen on a driver. Total gimmick. It is a completely waste of space if you hover the club, which you should, too encourage a smooth takeaway.

I almost totally agree. The only thing is, everyone grounds the club at some point to get the grip, then hovers ( or not hovers). Once the grip is set, so is the face angle. You'd be hard pressed to name a player who pulls the driver from the bag and does not touch the ground at any point before hitting.

#6 dlefty

dlefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2476
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

One of the best things ever.  It allows me to adujst loft (FCT) to get launch in the right area.  More often than not, the golfer isn't 100% happy with where the face angle ends up after this adjustment, so now the ASP can be adjusted to produce an appealing set up.

Then shaft is selected to tune ball flight/launch numbers and feel.

I personally have yet to see someone take a driver, any driver, and NOT set it on the floor / ground and comment on how that particular club sets up.

"That sets up really nice"
"Wow, that looks open"
"That's a closed clubface"
"love that look/set up"
"hmmm, wish that was a bit more ______ (open/closed)"
etc., etc., etc................

So although many say they never ground a club, I would bet 90+% of those people do what I describe above at some point during looking at a new driver and/or the driver selection process.  That's why ASP is great, can make it exactly how someone likes to like at it during this step of fondling a new club, and tweak the look during a fitting.
CALLAWAY Big Bertha V-Series driver
CALLAWAY Big Bertha Pro 3wood
CALLAWAY X2Hot hybrid
CALLAWAY Apex Pro irons
CALLAWAY MD2 / MD2 TG wedges
ODYSSEY putter

#7 PingEye2

PingEye2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6898
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

Thanks everyone

#8 02bluesuperroo

02bluesuperroo

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52968
  • Ebay ID:02superroo
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:47 AM

Couldn't anyone do what this does by just adjusting their grip?

#9 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

View Post02bluesuperroo, on 12 February 2011 - 12:47 AM, said:

Yes, yes they could. But then you'd start to change the effective loft by doing so when you square the club at impact.

#10 marrigo

marrigo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44545
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

View PostFATC1TY, on 12 February 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

View Post02bluesuperroo, on 12 February 2011 - 12:47 AM, said:

Yes, yes they could. But then you'd start to change the effective loft by doing so when you square the club at impact.

Hmmm, actually from the sounds of it (I don't have an R11 so I'm interpreting what I've read here), it is exactly the same thing as adjusting the grip, which, if true, will not alter the effective loft like bending the head would.  

When you bend the head open (say 1*) the loft will be the same at address as it was before bending. When you swing and presumably square the face (have to rotate closed 1* to get it square) you effectively de-loft the club 0.6* so the effective loft is less.  But if you rotate the head with your hands at address 1* and measure the loft it will be 0.6* higher (like opening a wedge to hit  a flop shot).  Then when you swing and presumably square the face (rotate it back 1* to square position) the loft will be what it was  before you manually opened it.

Yeah, sounds kind of gimmicky to me.

Edited by marrigo, 12 February 2011 - 03:26 PM.

SLDR, 9.5*, 'ahina 60 S
TEE CB4 15*, Xcaliber T6S+
RAZR-X Tour 18*&24* Rombax 8D07HB
RAZR-X Tour 5-PW, C-Taper S+ SS 2x
Scratch 8620 54*&58*,C-Taper S+SS 2x
RAZR-X Forged GW, C-Taper S+ SS 2x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors