Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putter for pulled putts?

32 replies to this topic

#1 BkgolferNH

BkgolferNH

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118334
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:32 PM

Hey guys, I have been seriously struggling with my putting because I have a tendancy to pull putts. I have a straight back-straight through stroke but a standard Anser style blade putter. Is there a putter that may help with these pulled putts. I am going to take lessons because I am willing to bet it is not the arrow but more so the archer, I am just trying to explore all options. Will a center shafted putter help to reduce these pulls or am I better off changing my stroke all together?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 T REX

T REX

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102856
  • Ebay ID:ct5hurricane
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

You're better off with a face balanced putter. You don't want the head closing quickly on you if you are pulling everything

#3 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

[edited]  Just curious, why not open to close on the stroke?  Center shaft or face balance should help!

#4 scifisicko

scifisicko

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90910

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

if your left wrist is breaking down you will pull them with just about any putter. Get the lesson(s) and your putter will be fine

#5 homergolf

homergolf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46000
  • Handicap:14.4
  • Ebay ID:hbob74
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

View PostT REX, on 06 February 2011 - 07:45 PM, said:

You're better off with a face balanced putter. You don't want the head closing quickly on you if you are pulling everything

A lesson and maybe something like a Rife Barbados would be suitable or the afore mentioned Bolero

Taylormade R1 driver
Callaway Big Bertha 15*, 18* fw
Ping G25 23* hybrid
Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Forged, 5-A irons
Titleist SM5 56*, 60* wedges
Ping Shea H, 33" putter

#6 echelon2011

echelon2011

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120255
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:01 AM

Any face balanced putter with at least half a shaft off set will be a decent starting point I think.

#7 jokerusn

jokerusn

Mr. J

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447
  • Ebay ID:jokerusn
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

I was using a Ping Anser and started pulling putts too.  I switched to a heel shafted putter with a lot of toe hang (Zing2) and started making everything.  I would check out a putter with that much toe hang and see how you are putting.  For me, it was a combination of reduced offset and more toe-hang to keep the club from closing too fast that improved my putting.
290 / 3Deep / RBZ Tour / Idea Pro
07 X Forged / Scratch / Odyssey

#8 daniel32293

daniel32293

PGA of America Member... soon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94595
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

or even a belly putter prevents pulling and pushing so it all comes down to line and speed and really helped my game because it takes part of the mental side of golf out of play.

#9 drpino

drpino

Hall of Fame

• Marshals
  • 7,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15339
  • Handicap:3.3

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

View Postjokerusn, on 07 February 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

I was using a Ping Anser and started pulling putts too.  I switched to a heel shafted putter with a lot of toe hang (Zing2) and started making everything.  I would check out a putter with that much toe hang and see how you are putting.  For me, it was a combination of reduced offset and more toe-hang to keep the club from closing too fast that improved my putting.

If the OP is only concerned about how equipment may or may not help, the above is exactly what I would recommend - a putter with less offset and more toe-hang.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

: PING S55 + Z-Z65 Cushin : [the only clubs safe in the bag this season]

#10 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28133
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

View PostBkgolferNH, on 06 February 2011 - 07:32 PM, said:

Hey guys, I have been seriously struggling with my putting because I have a tendancy to pull putts. I have a straight back-straight through stroke but a standard Anser style blade putter. Is there a putter that may help with these pulled putts. I am going to take lessons because I am willing to bet it is not the arrow but more so the archer, I am just trying to explore all options. Will a center shafted putter help to reduce these pulls or am I better off changing my stroke all together?
Lie angle.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Reidman

Reidman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81356
  • Ebay ID:reidman12
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

+1 on the less offset and more toe hang.

I struggled with pulled putts too...then switched to a Backstryke...it actually has onset. It forces a forward press...and helps lock your wrists & keep from turning your hands early.

Really liked the Rife Cayman Brac too....lots of toe hang. But the Backstryke performed better on the course.

Another thing that might help is a tweak to your routine. Assuming you are right handed....approach the ball with the putter in your left hand, align, then place your right on the grip right before you putt.

Ping i25 10.5 Matrix White Tie Firm
Adams Tight Lies 14, 19 Bassara S
Adams a12 Pro Irons 4-LW KBS Tour R
SeeMore mFGP 33"
Handicap 4.2
Srizon Z-Star

#12 ronster

ronster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2985
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:41 AM

View Postgolfbum9, on 07 February 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

Lie angle.

More upright lie angle?

#13 Lefty_Lion

Lefty_Lion

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116709
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

More toe hang, you must release the putter more than you think!

It sounds like it's #9 / 8802 time for you aka party time!

#14 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

View Postronster, on 02 May 2011 - 03:41 AM, said:

View Postgolfbum9, on 07 February 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

Lie angle.
More upright lie angle?
Flat. The majority of golfers I see have putters that are far too upright for them and most times too long as well.
The putter head should sit nearly flat at address - toe up slightly.

Edited by golfbum9, 02 May 2011 - 11:13 AM.

#15 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

View Postgolfbum9, on 02 May 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

Flat. The majority of golfers I see have putters that are far too upright for them and most times too long as well.
The putter head should sit nearly flat at address - toe up slightly.

Exactly. Too upright will cause pulls. A face balanced putter is best if you putt straight back and straight through.

#16 naws-golfer

naws-golfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61408

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

Isnt this why people use belly putters?

#17 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:36 AM

For a cheap trial get an Odyssey Rossie and give it a whirl

#18 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:59 AM

if you are pulling them only, then a putter with more toe hang.  if you are pulling AND pushing (like I was) then you might have good success going to face balanced mallet like I did.  for me, this type putter feels incredibly stable, versus having the feeling like the putter is closing down on me too quick, or not quick enough.  I wonder now why I didn't make this change way sooner.  and you don't need a perceived sbst stroke to use this type of putter successfully, despite some opinions to the contrary.

of course, it could be just ball position too far forward, or some movement of the arms and elbows that is not appropriate.  but that isn't what you asked about.

#19 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

The putter has to fit regardless of its design. Push, pull, inconsistant distances - all come down to lie angle and length.

Edited by golfbum9, 05 May 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#20 bppry

bppry

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116337
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Try a rife putter. The lie alignment aid may do the  job. Makes you set the putter perfect. If you keep pulling those work on your stroke.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

View Postgolfbum9, on 05 May 2011 - 09:20 AM, said:

The putter has to fit regardless of its design. Push, pull, inconsistent distances - all come down to lie angle and length.
Yes but most of the time it boils down to golfers that spend 90% of their practice time beating balls and putting practice amounts to a few minutes before teeing off.

IMO, too much is made of the putter.  The emphasis should be on learning to read greens and judge speed.  It is a sixth sense that needs to be developed through regular practice.

But being that these traits do not lend themselves to forum discussion, we focus on the putter, the stroke and the three L's...lie, length and loft.

The best putters I know simply do not think of putting in this way.

If you are pulling putts, fix the root of the problem, which is you.  In the long run, you'll be better off for it.

Edited by scotchblade, 05 May 2011 - 07:52 PM.

#22 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

youre obviously not going straight back, straight thru if you are pulling them. practice. dont blame the stick

#23 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

View Postscotchblade, on 05 May 2011 - 07:48 PM, said:

View Postgolfbum9, on 05 May 2011 - 09:20 AM, said:

The putter has to fit regardless of its design. Push, pull, inconsistent distances - all come down to lie angle and length.
Yes but most of the time it boils down to golfers that spend 90% of their practice time beating balls and putting practice amounts to a few minutes before teeing off.

IMO, too much is made of the putter.  The emphasis should be on learning to read greens and judge speed.  It is a sixth sense that needs to be developed through regular practice.

But being that these traits do not lend themselves to forum discussion, we focus on the putter, the stroke and the three L's...lie, length and loft.

The best putters I know simply do not think of putting in this way.
I agree in that the read, speed and line are paramount as well as the simplification of putting - roll the ball and not "hit at"... comfortably, for the best results.

However, the point of having the correct lie angle and length is moreso for increased strikes on center - resulting in consistant speed on the intended line. It really is a no brainer unless you're one of the minority that fit "standard".

Since most golfers have (at least should have) their own putting style, be it stroke, stance et al.  
Those of us with our own setup/ stroke (that works) must have a putter set up to our natural position and stroke therefore a confident stroke can be put on the ball. Without it, we have to set up to the putter instead. Sometimes they go in and sometimes we wonder why they didn't. That's the reason why in my experience.

As an example, a guy 6'3" with long arms plays off a 38 1/2" 5i. But his natural setup for the putter (to where he's comfortable) requires a 33 1/2" putter that's 2° flat. Now say we went by his height alone, one would think he would be using a 35 or 36" putter. The one he can setup to comfortably and is fit to him will win out...  every time.

Edited by golfbum9, 05 May 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#24 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

I'll bet if the OP devoted an afternoon to a session on the putting green, his pulling problem could be solved.

Bring your iPod, a chalk or string line.  I prefer the string line.  Bring an allgnment rod or extra club, and a couple of tees to make a gate.  Forget this business that you are a SBST putter - chances are you are not.  Your current putter is fine for you.

Start rolling 6-8 footers.  Are you pulling them?  Make small adjustments so you are not.  The may be ball position, alignment or a certain feel in your stroke.  Be observant.  Experiment and when you "find it" ingrain the feel that produces a putt remains on line.

Practice this feel often and as you take your practice strokes when playing, feel the feel.

Putting is easy.  How hard can such a little stroke be?  It's not.  How hard can it be to hit the sweet spot?  It's not!

Edited by scotchblade, 05 May 2011 - 08:15 PM.

#25 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

Of course practice is a given, but practice with equipment that fits is key.
You may be one of those guys that fit ok with "standard"... but most don't.

I strongly believe that those struggling with the putter (or any club for that matter) should cover all their bases by getting fit first. Rather than chasing their tail practicing with gear that is not for them - and ingraining poor techniques in an effort to make ill fitting equipment "work".

This is my view on how we all can all play our best golf and enjoy the game more. :good:

Karsten Solheim knew this many many years ago which is why he invented his color code system - and not only for irons and wedges. In the old days the putters may not have been painted, but they were most certainly fit.

Edited by golfbum9, 05 May 2011 - 09:16 PM.

#26 rocketrod

rocketrod

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49734
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

I am glad to hear on this thread that you guys think that toe hang helps the putter stay open.

From what we do now with drivers such as the Taylor Made series we put more weight in the toe in order to keep the face from turning over so much. I have read here so many times toe hang closes the face during the stroke and that has not made sense to me.

It seems like more weight in the toe would mean that it moves slower than the lighter heel.

Is this how you see it?

My face is always slightly closed at impact compared to set up on the SAM putt lab and I have always been told to use a face balanced mallet putter. Thanks to this thread I am going out tomorrow and giving a heel shaft a go.

Thanks

#27 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

View Postrocketrod, on 07 May 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

I am glad to hear on this thread that you guys think that toe hang helps the putter stay open.

From what we do now with drivers such as the Taylor Made series we put more weight in the toe in order to keep the face from turning over so much. I have read here so many times toe hang closes the face during the stroke and that has not made sense to me.

It seems like more weight in the toe would mean that it moves slower than the lighter heel.

Is this how you see it?

My face is always slightly closed at impact compared to set up on the SAM putt lab and I have always been told to use a face balanced mallet putter. Thanks to this thread I am going out tomorrow and giving a heel shaft a go.

Thanks

Toe hang will cause the face to not only open more, but also close more. You will see more of a gate effect overall. If you swing straight back/through you want face balanced or minimal toe hang because a heel shafted putter is going to hurt you with both pulls and pushes.

#28 MP4orged

MP4orged

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116259
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

this is an interesting thread, now i feel even more confused about the putter im using...i have an anser, mallet and laguna style putter...

#29 URStillAway

URStillAway

79 is ten better than 80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48954
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

1.  Changing putters might help you. Maybe.

2. Getting a lesson most likely will help you. Amazing what someone with a good knowledge of putting may be able to tell you after seeing you putt.

3. Practicing your putting with a flawed technique or mis-fitted putter could make things worse.
Driver: K15 or SLDR 10.5 Reg Stock Shaft
FW's: Ping G20 4w    G15 7w
Irons: Titleist AP1 Reg Graphite
Wedges: Callaway X Forged 54/14 60/10
Handicap 8
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

#30 BkgolferNH

BkgolferNH

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118334

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

I just sat here and read his whole thread and was like "I have the same problem! I am tugging putts a lot as well!" before I realized I was the OP. :blush:  I'm embarrassed now haha

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors