Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Tour Edge Exotics on PGA Tour

53 replies to this topic

#1 volrus

volrus

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62173
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

As good a product as TEE produces for their fairway woods, why do you all think they don't get used on tour? Is it all due to their lack of paying players? I would think  players might play them anyway. Are they not as good as people around here seem to think they are?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 712

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

I think you've basically hit the nail on the head. Without the lure of sponsorship money, players are reluctant to put anything in their bags these days - even if they are generally good clubs.
On the flip side, money gets junk like TM clubs into just about anybody's bag these days. (shameless TM Bash in record time).

#3 J13

J13

@jminis13

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 1485

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

TEE does get use by those on tour but not much.  I think Kuchar plays one.  But pretty much it's because they don't pay money.  

Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#4 JP101

JP101

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45819
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

View PostJ13, on 06 February 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

TEE does get use by those on tour but not much.  I think Kuchar plays one.  But pretty much it's because they don't pay money.  

A couple other guys have or still use them. Brian Gay had a 3 wood. Jonathan Bird I thought had one. Luke Donald. David Duval.

Edited by JP101, 06 February 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#5 flyersfan91

flyersfan91

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121807
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

I feel like players would play the clubs that allows them to do the best,  Ultimately they win a lot of money by winning, which leads to endorsements and more money.  Therfore using the clubs that allows you to play the best will ultimately allow you to earn the most money, so wouldn;t they put them in their bag if they were as good as people say they are?

#6 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:up
GolfWRX Likes : 1101

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

I see a smattering of them out there.  Guys with 12 club contracts with major mfgs will sometimes put in a TEE or "other" fairway wood.  

I think TEE makes a favorable fairway wood.  That's the club guys tend to be very "picky" about since its one of the harder clubs to hit and misses go a long way, somewhere... :)
Titleist 915d3 Diamana White
Titleist 915fd Diamana Blue
Titleist 915hd Diamana Blue
Titleist AP2 714 DG-S300
Titleist Vokey 50/54/60 DG-S300
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7

#7 Ness

Ness

Major Winner

• 2,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15187
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

Just adding to the list. Kevin Streelman has a fairway in his bag too.
Ping G30
Titleist 913 F
Titleist 913 H
Titleist 714 CB
Titleist SM4 52, 58
Ping G5i Craz-e
WITB Link

#8 scifisicko

scifisicko

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90910
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

Here is their tour news link

http://www.touredge....es/tournews.asp

3 top 10 finishes in first 3 weeks of 2011 (for fairway woods)

#9 chipkashman

chipkashman

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93090

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

View Postflyersfan91, on 06 February 2011 - 04:25 PM, said:

I feel like players would play the clubs that allows them to do the best,  Ultimately they win a lot of money by winning, which leads to endorsements and more money.  Therfore using the clubs that allows you to play the best will ultimately allow you to earn the most money, so wouldn;t they put them in their bag if they were as good as people say they are?

I think to most of the very best players in the world, a club is a club is a club to a certain extent. We're talking about the best 250 (maybe even the best 1,000 ) players in the world. I mean if they hit 3 heads pretty close as far as the execution of the shot goes, then putting the club that pays in the bag makes a lot of sense to me. Winning once in a year is a good year for the bulk of the players if not all. So the sponsor money I would think is a big deal, especially if your only playing 20-30 times a year. As much as I see players switch clubs and still hit superb golf shots, I just don't think it's about hitting the "best or most respected brand", granted club fitting for these guys is top-notch. I see players struggle more with swing changes than club changes. Just my 2 cents...
913 D2 10.5 Motore F3 Stiff
910F 15* Diamana ilima Stiff
910H 21* Motore F3 Stiff
AP2 710 3-PW S300
Scratch 1018 53* DD & 58*SS
SC Fastback 1.5

#10 evanrfid

evanrfid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32697
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

I actually thought TEE FWs were one of the more popular clubs in bags of players not being paid to use them.

As for why they aren't in everyone's bag, I'm sure the sound and feel isn't to everyone's tastes, and their excessive length doesn't always fit with desired yardage gaps.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 volrus

volrus

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62173
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

So what I'm hearing is a general consensus that it has little to do with the clubs and almost everything to do with them not shelling out the sponsor dollars.

#12 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14712
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

View Postvolrus, on 06 February 2011 - 10:29 PM, said:

So what I'm hearing is a general consensus that it has little to do with the clubs and almost everything to do with them not shelling out the sponsor dollars.
That's why the #1 driver in golf is #1.

#13 JOHN GOLIA

JOHN GOLIA

On the Bubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3757
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Just my 2 cents.. I think that more Tour players would play the TEE fairway
if they got paid. I`v hit them all and this (CB2) has the best feel and performance
of them all.
  But! I did hit the new Adams F11 non Ti and it was awesome. Can`t wait for the F11 Ti
Fairway to come out.

#14 Par Fore

Par Fore

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49091
  • Ebay ID:barneys6
GolfWRX Likes : 242

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

I think that the number of players that have them in thier bag despite no clams to play them is a testament to how good of a club they are, if any pros are playing clubs for free, they must really like them.

Edited by Par Fore, 06 February 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#15 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 10,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5635

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

You might think that but if someone offered you $1M a year to drive a Yugo, would you drive it?  These guys are incredible ball strikers and have the ability to work with most clubs.  Look at GMac...he made the change from Callaway and is hitting the ball even better plus he's pulling in some serious coin from Srixon by being a major champion.

#16 huskerpower_105

huskerpower_105

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52872
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

i feel like tour players want accuracy out of their woods more than pure distance.  they often use them to hit into long par 5s and want them to be very precise.  ive never gamed a TEE but i have hit plenty of them and they never got along with my swing but the cobra s9 pro in my bag is amazing!

#17 kibbs

kibbs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119689
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:21 AM

Tour Edge makes a great product up and down their lineup.  While they may not be paid to play them, tour players do have them in their bag.  For the most part, all the players have to do is put a TM headcover on a TEE and no one would know the difference.

#18 Jack lives here

Jack lives here

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2279

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:18 AM

I have the 3, 5 & 7 in my bag. Simply the best fairway woods bar none.

#19 dawgfan03

dawgfan03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7683
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

I have seen them in play on the pga tour. I think Brian Gay games one.

#20 ProForceX

ProForceX

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113832
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

More people have them then you realize, it's just that you don't see TEE smattering signs, staff bags, shirts, and hats with their logos. Their irons are good, but again, they just don't pay enough for people to play them. Their fairway woods are exceptional (IMO).

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 flyersfan91

flyersfan91

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121807

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

have never tried one, kind of want to now.. where are they sold really though?  Havent seen them at my local golf shops

#22 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 10,666 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

View Postflyersfan91, on 07 February 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

have never tried one, kind of want to now.. where are they sold really though?  Havent seen them at my local golf shops

Golfsmith sells them.  I can only speak for the fairway woods but they have a very hot face.  Was able to drop from a 3 wood to a 4 wood and hit the 4 about 15 yards farther than the 3.  Will definitely look at them with the next driver purchase.  Good looking and good feeling/sounding club, too.

#23 mx6262

mx6262

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93496
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

Its fun to look at what some of these guys played "on there way " to the tour. Odds and ends fo a lot of them. I've seen bags that had 3 diffrent style irons. TEE has some great equipment Both woods and irons. I just put there driver in my bag and it kicked out my Adams 9015d....I play there cb2 3wood and 4wood. Good equipment and I bet there sales are decent also compared to there cost....TM spends so much $$ i bet there bottom line is shorter that many may think.

Yes I would drive what ever for $1,000,000.00  and swear by it....

All of these guys are good enough to play Driver 8 and putter and some could still make the Top 125.....MHO...

:rolleyes:

#24 mizunate

mizunate

I'm all NIKE and Mizuno, now.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105844
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Last year at the Northern Trust, i chatted up a caddy and asked him about his guy's contracts.  The amount of cash these guys get to have a bag, or headcovers, or a hat....is amazing.  So, if someone was going to spend that kind of cash for me to play their stuff, guaranteed i'm down for it.  

I think i remember Nick Faldo saing that if nobody was paid to play clubs, they'd all be playing Mizuno irons.  Clearly i'm biased, but he's on to something with that one...

#25 Prut

Prut

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121025
  • Ebay ID:prut61
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

I love Exotics equipment. My question, and I really hope someone can answer it, is why, if they do not pay players to play their clubs, saving so much money on marketing, are their products not less expensive? They cost as much or more than anything else. I'd hate to see what one of those fairway woods would cost if they had player contracts. I think they've really gone off the rails on their pricing.

Edited by Prut, 07 February 2011 - 05:24 PM.

#26 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 10,666 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

View PostPrut, on 07 February 2011 - 05:22 PM, said:

I love Exotics equipment. My question, and I really hope someone can answer it, is why, if they do not pay players to play their clubs, saving so much money on marketing, are their products not less expensive? They cost as much or more than anything else. I'd hate to see what one of those fairway woods would cost if they had player contracts. I think they've really gone off the rails on their pricing.

Only Exotics can give you their specific strategy but I'd guess they're positioning the product for golfers where performance and results are what matters.  That demographic is less price sensitive with more disposable income.  This isn't a product for the masses.

If you take your question and turn it to Titleist balls, why aren't ProV1's and NXT Tours the same price?  The endorsement money all comes from Titleist.  The reality is they're positioning the ProV1 for the performance demographic and the NXT Tour for those that are more cost oriented.  It's like Ford and Lincoln, basically the same vehicles, the image of Lincoln is a bit more prestigious.

#27 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

Natalie Gulbis made an interesting point when she signed with Talormade.  She was playing Henry-Griffitts in college.  HG doesn't pay anybody to play their clubs.  Her comment was though she didn't want to change clubs, as a professional athlete the endorsement money can be a form of insurance.  As she said, you never know when you could injure yourself.  

The old addage of "I'd play a broomstick if it made me a better player" has become "I'll play a broomstick if they'll pay me."  Don't get me wrong, both companies make quality equipment.  But in the scheme of things, if your hand/eye coordination is trained based on what you see as square and that equipment's performance, and you change to something else, differences are bound to happen.  It's a question of whether or not you can adjust.

#28 Prut

Prut

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121025
  • Ebay ID:prut61
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 07 February 2011 - 05:29 PM, said:

View PostPrut, on 07 February 2011 - 05:22 PM, said:

Only Exotics can give you their specific strategy but I'd guess they're positioning the product for golfers where performance and results are what matters.  That demographic is less price sensitive with more disposable income.  This isn't a product for the masses.

If you take your question and turn it to Titleist balls, why aren't ProV1's and NXT Tours the same price?  The endorsement money all comes from Titleist.  The reality is they're positioning the ProV1 for the performance demographic and the NXT Tour for those that are more cost oriented.  It's like Ford and Lincoln, basically the same vehicles, the image of Lincoln is a bit more prestigious.

Makes sense. Thanks.

#29 Jut

Jut

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121654
  • Ebay ID:jbtodd33
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

Love the forum here -I just ordered a used TEE XCG-3 driver from Ebay to supplement my Callaway Diablo Edge Tour - can't wait to hit it.  Anyone using this club currently?
Titleist 905R 8.5* Proforce V2
Titleist 909F2 15.5* & 18.5*
Cobra Bio Cell Hybrid @ 23*
Nickent Pro 3DX 6-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 50* & 56*
Odyssey Versa #9 or Rossie

#30 tkentuckyfan

tkentuckyfan

Rookie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8773
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

Its as good as it gets

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors