Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pros at Augusta National

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 davepharmd

davepharmd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52877
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:01 AM

After reading one of the replies on the Most Prestigious Course thread, I started thinking....what would a PGA Pro or Assistant Pro actually do at Augusta National?
I mean, it's not like they are arranging ABCD Draws and Flighted Match Play Tournaments, right?
Are these Augusta members actually taking lessons there?  My impression of membership at AN was that you came into town 2-3 times a year to play then head back home.  Is this perception wrong?
Obviously don't know any members, just some impressions I've gotten over the years.  Any insight would be interesting to hear.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 1puttwoods

1puttwoods

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101203
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

If you have to ask you probably wouldn't understand.  What do the Golf Professionals do at any exclusive private club?  Take care of the members.

#3 rob_roy28

rob_roy28

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42340
  • Ebay ID:golf241510
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

Im seconding what 1puttwoods said.  Welcome to the world of a personal shopper.  If member wants a skort for his mistress from a company you dont do business with you better believe you are getting that skort

#4 J13

J13

@jminis13

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1399

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

I know a few members who belong to both Augusta and pine valley.  They play those course A LOT more 2-3 times a year.  

Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#5 ExProGoingBack

ExProGoingBack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70498
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

I knew two assistant pros at Augusta....they start organizing the Masters Tournament a week after the current one has ended.  Lessons are far and few between.  As for how many rounds played and taking care of the members?.....they membership count is approximately 300...maybe a tad more.  75% do not live near the course so play is quite minimal contrary to what some may think..( like how many rounds does Bill Gates play?). Most rounds are usually a member who flies in with 3 guests...stays in one of the cabins for the night...then it's see you next year. The average rounds played are about 40 players a week...with about 20 on the weekend.   At a course I worked at....we had 4 members at Augusta...they would do just that...one golf junket a year with 3 friends.  Dues is quite low at Augusta....amazingly not what you would think....their revenue is made thru the one week of the tournament. In addition the club is closed during the summer.

#6 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 440

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

Why do they close during the summer?

#7 ExProGoingBack

ExProGoingBack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

View PostGuia, on 06 February 2011 - 06:03 PM, said:

They are very critical maintaining the condition of the course. The summer in Augusta is very humid...humidity breeds fungus....I'm not that knowledgable about horticulture...but if I rememeber correctly....if there are spots of fungus..especially on the greens...they don't want players walking on it and spreading it via shoes. I believe some years it was closed for longer periods when they lenghtened the course for the tournament.

#8 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• 3,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 419

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

They close because they do changes in the off-season, and they have bent greens which would not stand the heat and humidity if cut to playing height.  I wish I could be the token poor guy member.

#9 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 720

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

View Postdavepharmd, on 06 February 2011 - 03:01 AM, said:

After reading one of the replies on the Most Prestigious Course thread, I started thinking....what would a PGA Pro or Assistant Pro actually do at Augusta National?

Spend all day on the phone turning down access requests.

#10 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• 6,798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 727

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

View PostExProGoingBack, on 06 February 2011 - 06:08 PM, said:

They are very critical maintaining the condition of the course. The summer in Augusta is very humid...humidity breeds fungus....I'm not that knowledgable about horticulture...but if I rememeber correctly....if there are spots of fungus..especially on the greens...they don't want players walking on it and spreading it via shoes. I believe some years it was closed for longer periods when they lenghtened the course for the tournament.

I also wonder if that is how Bobby Jones wanted it, and so the tradition has just stuck.  Probably because Jones did not play much golf during the summer months becasue of the heat and humidity, he picked up the clubs in the fall and played a few rounds with his friends and business associates.  Someone correct me if I am off base here.

Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 ExProGoingBack

ExProGoingBack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

View Postdlygrisse, on 07 February 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

View PostExProGoingBack, on 06 February 2011 - 06:08 PM, said:

I also wonder if that is how Bobby Jones wanted it, and so the tradition has just stuck.  Probably because Jones did not play much golf during the summer months becasue of the heat and humidity, he picked up the clubs in the fall and played a few rounds with his friends and business associates.  Someone correct me if I am off base here.

Could be...but I think it's more to maintain condition.  Everything is very traditional at Augusta...from the food which isnt terribly fancy...to other traditions as to lights out by 10pm or so in the bar/dining area.  Dues is rather inexpensive when comapred to clubs such as Winged Foot or Baltusrol.  It's a who do you know to get in here place....

#12 DLiver

DLiver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
GolfWRX Likes : 174

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

They close in the summer to preserve the bent grass.

#13 ahl3bomber

ahl3bomber

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81852
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

I had also heard that they strip all of the fairways, since they are bermuda grassed, and then sell the turf to other courses who are willing to pay top dollar...
the grass grows back fairly quick and is perfect for next year...this eliminates the need to aerify and pretty much eliminates the thatch build up...
this could be false but I thought this was true

#14 hitsalittle

hitsalittle

Dr. Remulak

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61194
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

I knew a kid in college whose uncle was an assistant there - according to him, they got to play a fair amount.  I know he went down there a couple times a year to play - the frickin' *****.

#15 ExProGoingBack

ExProGoingBack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

the two assistants I knew who worked there said they did not get to play much....lucky if they were allowed to play 9 holes.

#16 tkentuckyfan

tkentuckyfan

Rookie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8773
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

I swear it seems like the place is always spotless like no one ever plays it

#17 ChxDigLongBall

ChxDigLongBall

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87810
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

Asst's at PV do a lot of little stuff, custom fittings and grip changes and stuff. However, they do play quite a bit and do spend a lot of time setting up member tournaments and the Krump Cup. Head pro pretty much does the same thing as the asst's now since the former head pro is the GM. Asst's at PV don't stay for more than about 2 years.

#18 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1663

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

View PostChxDigLongBall, on 07 February 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

Asst's at PV do a lot of little stuff, custom fittings and grip changes and stuff. However, they do play quite a bit and do spend a lot of time setting up member tournaments and the Krump Cup. Head pro pretty much does the same thing as the asst's now since the former head pro is the GM. Asst's at PV don't stay for more than about 2 years.

Well that would make a lot of sense for any major big name course really.  Most of the assistants there probably are working on or already have their Class A.  So after 2 years working at Pine Valley they can put that on their resume which would make the move to a Head Pro or DoG a lot easier.
915D2 (8.5) - Black DI-8
915F (16.5) - Rombax P95
712U (4), AP2 (5-PW) - KBS Tour V
Vokey (50, 55, 60) - DG Tour Issue
Cameron GoLo N5 LE
WITB Link

#19 ChxDigLongBall

ChxDigLongBall

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87810

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

View PostDizz, on 07 February 2011 - 11:29 PM, said:

View PostChxDigLongBall, on 07 February 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

Well that would make a lot of sense for any major big name course really.  Most of the assistants there probably are working on or already have their Class A.  So after 2 years working at Pine Valley they can put that on their resume which would make the move to a Head Pro or DoG a lot easier.

Exactly. It's really not that much different being the pro or asst. at PV than it is at any big, reputable course. They really get 2 years in order to be able to move on to another good course as a head pro.

Now, being the pro or asst. at Augusta seems like it would be a little different to me, but I can't say that for sure because I've never hung around there.

Reason for edit: added last part

Edited by ChxDigLongBall, 07 February 2011 - 11:34 PM.

#20 wvuwhat

wvuwhat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23146

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

If anyone has a contact down there, please pm me.  I know this is a longshot, but I'm trying to get into the business.  I'm unemployed at the moment in the Northern VA area and would move down there (on my dime) in a heartbeat to just have the chance to shine the shoes of the members and hopefully move my way up over the years.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors