Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 8 votes

Swing weight factors in relation to parts

416 replies to this topic

#391 Full Melt

Full Melt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273849
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

I'm still learning all this stuff, so I apologize for any dumb questions haha

According the OP, 1/2" off the club is 3 sw points? I hacked 1/2" off my 3-wood yesterday and the part I cut off only weighed 1.15 grams. Can somebody explainlikeim5 why this is 3 sw points? Or am I just missing something?

Ping Anser 10*
TaylorMade SLDR 14.5*
Adams DHY Pro 18* & Super 21*
2007 Callaway X-Forged 5-PW
Cleveland CG12 50*, Titleist SM5 56* 60*
2005 Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#392 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 5012

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

Full Melt, on 08 May 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

According the OP, 1/2" off the club is 3 sw points? I hacked 1/2" off my 3-wood yesterday and the part I cut off only weighed 1.15 grams. Can somebody explainlikeim5 why this is 3 sw points? Or am I just missing something?

Swing weight and static weight are very different things.    The reduction in SW is purely from the length reduction and the fact that the head weight moves 1/2" closer to the swing weight fulcrum or balance point so has a smaller moment arm.

#393 Full Melt

Full Melt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273849
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

Stuart G., on 08 May 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

Full Melt, on 08 May 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Swing weight and static weight are very different things. The reduction in SW is purely from the length reduction and the fact that the head weight moves 1/2" closer to the swing weight fulcrum or balance point so has a smaller moment arm.

Ah, I see. Makes sense. Thanks
Ping Anser 10*
TaylorMade SLDR 14.5*
Adams DHY Pro 18* & Super 21*
2007 Callaway X-Forged 5-PW
Cleveland CG12 50*, Titleist SM5 56* 60*
2005 Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

#394 panther73

panther73

48 years of fun n frustration

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439772
  • Handicap:8.9
  • Ebay ID:Panther733tby
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

CallTaylor, on 31 January 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

Matt J, on 16 December 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

Stuart G., on 16 December 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

Matt J, on 14 December 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

Why are manufacturers making driver heads so heavy?

I just bought a swingweight scale and am trying to add consistency through the bag by getting my clubs reasonably close to each other and ascending in weight from driver through wedge.

Even with relatively light shafts and short lengths it's hard to get my driver down below D3 or D4.  I measured the static weight and it's around 200 grams which seems to be about average for driver heads.  Seems much more reasonable to put weight ports and the option for a very light (as light as possible) cover for the port and then ascending weight in 5 gram increments.  But, realistically if you're going to run a shaft over 60 grams it seems there's no way to get under D5 or D6 without counterweighting.

I love the ball flight of my hybrids, but I achieve that through heavy shafts.   As a result they have very high swingweight.  If I gain a point or two through the bag my irons and wedges would have to be in the E range.  Seems ridiculous.

You said it yourself, your head weight is around 200 gm which is completely normal and has been for a while.   The problem isn't that the driver head weight is high, the problem in keeping the SW down is that the lengths have been getting longer and longer.   Instead of going lighter with the head, you are much better off going shorter with the playing length - especially if better consistency is your goal.

Actually I'm very consistent and like the extra distance of the longer shaft, just don't want a driver at E swingweight.

Just seems like it would be pretty easy to put options for adding weight and a lot easier than removing it.

I've got a few projects I'm going to play with to try and get my woods reasonably well matched, just defies logic that woods are playing heavier than wedges these days.
So Matt, what don't you like about counter weighting in a driver? There's a few shafts out currently that do help with swingweight. The hzrdus yellow or Kiyoshi HB come to mind. I also have a black reign prototype that has a bit of backweighting.
  Also, I agree with you on the driver length. I'm so tired of seeing good shafts that I would purchase show up here for sale only to read that they are glorified 3 wood shafts. Lol. Why give up distance by cutting the shaft down? Just work on your swing and groove it with a longer shaft :) or....here's a lovely thought....why don't you guys who like a 44 or 44.5 inch long driver take a 45.5 inch driver and grip down an inch? Then you don't have to cut the shaft down and someone like me could buy it when you want to sell it. Hahahahaha

I feel the same way in regards to shaft length, my max length is 45 inches, but usually grip down a inch, inch and a half for 90% of driver tee shots, 100% of drivers off the deck. Swing weight D-8 or so, minus 6 points for 1 inch grip down, minus 1 point for grip cap "counterweight". Loading of the shaft is greatly influenced by the shaft flex with enough head weight to "flex" the shaft. Addressing the 2 wraps under listing, when I re-grip various iron shafts, Butt diameter must be considered, and for those shafts that have 1 or 2 steps under the grip, additional wraps over each step down to make the grip area consistent to make the grip stretch the exact amount I prefer.

#395 markjinc

markjinc

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52194
GolfWRX Likes : 225

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

I need some help from the pros here - I'm looking at changing my grips from 3 wraps of tape and a Pure DTX midsize weighing 60 grams to 2 wraps of tape and a Golfpride MCC Plus 4 Midsize at 66 grams. How much will this effect swingweight and what can I do to counteract the effect if anything? Thanks.

#396 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,395 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:07 AM

markjinc, on 16 May 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

I need some help from the pros here - I'm looking at changing my grips from 3 wraps of tape and a Pure DTX midsize weighing 60 grams to 2 wraps of tape and a Golfpride MCC Plus 4 Midsize at 66 grams. How much will this effect swingweight and what can I do to counteract the effect if anything? Thanks.

Might reduce what the SW scale reads by 1 SW pt - but for the vast majority of golfers grip side changes can (and should) be ignored.   So go ahead and make the change w/o any additional adjustments and test the club out first.

#397 skajaquada77

skajaquada77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383988
  • Handicap:36
  • Ebay ID:skajaquada2009
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:56 PM

Great info here!

#398 hogan1

hogan1

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13155
  • Handicap:8,8
  • Ebay ID:supwerswede01
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

Changing from 95 g steel shafts to 68 g graphite shafts in irons will do what to the swing weight? And how do I counter that to come as close as possible to the original s/w of D2?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

#399 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,395 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:36 AM

hogan1, on 22 July 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

Changing from 95 g steel shafts to 68 g graphite shafts in irons will do what to the swing weight? And how do I counter that to come as close as possible to the original s/w of D2?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Could do anything - it depends as much on how the shaft balance point changes as it does the weight change.  Of all the "rules of thumb" at the beginning of this thread, the  one about shaft weight is the most useless.

second, when changing shaft weight that much, you don't really want to reproduce the swing weight exactly, you want to refit your self for swing weight with the new shaft weight instead of using the old sw value.

When you do find out (measure on a SW scale when dry fitting), tip weight are the standard method for adjusting SW.

#400 hogan1

hogan1

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13155
  • Handicap:8,8
  • Ebay ID:supwerswede01
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Stuart. I don't necessarily want to reproduce the s/w. I'd be quite happy to arrive anywhere between C9 and D2. I just don't want it to be  heavier (C9 used to be standard when I took up the game some 40+ years ago). Guess I just get one shaft and fit it in a 7 iron and see what happens....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#401 jflores8

jflores8

Houston GolfWRX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133905
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

Have a G400, installed an aftermarket shaft and swing weight is D5, trying to get it down to D4.  Without removing the grip, what length of HD 1/2" lead tape would I need to add just below the grip to get it down to D4?

#402 Armour248

Armour248

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222589
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

Purchased some lead tape today and it states that 4" of tape will increase the club 1 swing weight.  I'm trying to add the tape to a putter.  Does that mean that 4" is only 2 grams?

#403 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,395 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

Armour248, on 05 September 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

Purchased some lead tape today and it states that 4" of tape will increase the club 1 swing weight.  I'm trying to add the tape to a putter.  Does that mean that 4" is only 2 grams?

Yes.  Standard density 1/2" wide lead tape is typically 1/2 gm per inch.   A higher density version (1 gm per inch) is also readily available (and IMO) more useful.

#404 Armour248

Armour248

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222589
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

Stuart G., on 05 September 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

Yes.  Standard density 1/2" wide lead tape is typically 1/2 gm per inch.   A higher density version (1 gm per inch) is also readily available (and IMO) more useful.

Damn...yeah, definitely going to need 1g/in tape.  Might have to adjust my plan anyway since I was hoping to add 15-20 grams to a putter head haha

#405 panther73

panther73

48 years of fun n frustration

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439772
  • Handicap:8.9
  • Ebay ID:Panther733tby
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

Smythe, on 25 July 2011 - 02:33 PM, said:

If you build the overall weight of a putter to make it heavier but the swingweight remains the same (bigger grip + lead tape on bottom of head) will you putt more balls past..? I cannot figure it out. I would imagine more weight behind the ball would hit it further but dont know how it relates with swingweight. Thanks!

Theory states that more mass will increase force, given equal speed, but my experience is more head weight with more grip weight slows the speed of the stroke, giving me, personally, more precise ball speed as it takes more force from me to make small change in ball speed. Back in the day, there were Jumbo grips and Tiger grips to increase grip size and reduce small muscle involvement.  Back then I would use lead tape to give back some of the swingweight feel, not all. The last 23 years I joined a club with West Coast Poa greens, Stimp speeds of 10 in the winter, 14 in the summer. Not unusual for a 10 foot putt to have a 15-20 foot starting line, or to start a putt away from a hole to attempt to control speed so it stops less than 10 feet past. So I estimate my head weights have increased to 380 grams or so, with 55-60 gram Super Stroke 5.0 Fatso, other putters have smaller versions of this brand, 3.0; 2.0. So experiment with your putter using heavier weights in the head, weather that is lead tape or heavier sole inserts, find what your experience is and proceed from there.

#406 skajaquada77

skajaquada77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:44 PM

So here's my question,
Building a set using Mizuno's MX-23 Forged Irons. Switching from a heavy shaft (130g R) to Modus 3 NS Pro 105g (S). New Lamkin grips Midsize.
Since I am installing new Ferrules too, I am going old school for weights with powder and corks.
Without adding any weight I am getting SW of anywhere from C4 to C7...
I have a digital scale so I am pretty accurate on the powder I am adding.
Questions:
1-how much is too much weight to add to the hosel? At what point should I say, thats enough, and instead add weight to the back of the clubhead with Lead Tape?
2- I see the point of adding lead tape to the head in a balanced manner, or shifting weight towards the toe or heel for bias... but if I have to add 20 grams to bring up the SW to lets say D2, whats the difference in ball flight and feeling between adding 20 g all to the hosel with powder or 10 to hosel with powder and 10 to clubhead with Lead tape?

#407 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:43 AM

skajaquada77, on 21 September 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

1-how much is too much weight to add to the hosel? At what point should I say, thats enough, and instead add weight to the back of the clubhead with Lead Tape?
2- I see the point of adding lead tape to the head in a balanced manner, or shifting weight towards the toe or heel for bias... but if I have to add 20 grams to bring up the SW to lets say D2, whats the difference in ball flight and feeling between adding 20 g all to the hosel with powder or 10 to hosel with powder and 10 to clubhead with Lead tape?

1.  When you run out of lead powder.

2. The difference might be a 1-2 mm of movement of the c.g. of the head for the long irons and less for the short irons.  Is the consistency of your impact position tight enough that you think you'd notice that little difference in the c.g.?

3.  True SW should generally be measured/calculated based on a 50 gm grip, not the midsize you've chosen.  So you likely wont need as much weight as you think.

#408 skajaquada77

skajaquada77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

Stuart G., on 22 September 2017 - 02:43 AM, said:

skajaquada77, on 21 September 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

1.  When you run out of lead powder.

2. The difference might be a 1-2 mm of movement of the c.g. of the head for the long irons and less for the short irons.  Is the consistency of your impact position tight enough that you think you'd notice that little difference in the c.g.?

3.  True SW should generally be measured/calculated based on a 50 gm grip, not the midsize you've chosen.  So you likely wont need as much weight as you think.

Thanks Stuart!

I suspected those were the answers. So I should be ok with a C8-C9 when I was initially shooting for D0-D1, just because of the grips, right? I do not think I would be able to tell the difference myself anyway.
I will load up the hosel of each iron to have similar SW thru the sets. Once put together, any changes in feeling/ball flight will have to be altered by adding the tape.

#409 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:57 AM

skajaquada77, on 22 September 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:

Thanks Stuart!

I suspected those were the answers. So I should be ok with a C8-C9 when I was initially shooting for D0-D1, just because of the grips, right? I do not think I would be able to tell the difference myself anyway.
I will load up the hosel of each iron to have similar SW thru the sets. Once put together, any changes in feeling/ball flight will have to be altered by adding the tape.

Depends what your decision to shoot for D0-D1 is based on.    Was it based on a swing weight fitting with the same playing length, same shaft weight, same grip?

If not sure, might be better to just get a single club set up close to the desired SW but a little under.  Then go to the range and tweak it with lead tape to get the best fit.  Then use the results of that to finalize the rest of the set (and if you want, go back and replace the lead tape on the test club).

#410 numberonecoog

numberonecoog

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148053
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

So I need some help. I bought some clubs with recoils in them. They are a full inch long over standard (39 in 5 iron). I know a half inch is 3 SW point sbut with these being graphite in irons is this still the case?

They removed my Equipment blog, Hunting for Birdies, from my signature

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#411 Milfordlefty

Milfordlefty

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46406
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

From the first page "5 gr grip = 1 swing weight point"
SW scale is based on a 50 gram grip.
50 grams equals 10 sw points per the above formula.
Can I interpret this to mean a hypothetical club on a sw scale without the grip with a C1 reading should read D1 with a 50 gram grip installed?
Driver - Ping K15 10.5º TFC 149D R
FW - Adams XTD Ti 5W, 18°, Matrix Red Tie R, Ping K15 5 Wood, 19°, TFC 149F R, Toski Target 7 wood, UST Proforce V2, R
Hybrid - Pinhawk SL 4h, FST 90 steel, 37", 62.5° lie angle
Irons - Pinhawk SL 5-7, FST 90 steel, R, 37", 63.5° lie angle, 8-SW FST 115 steel, R, 36.5", 63.5° lie angle
Putter - Odyssey #7 w/ SuperStroke Flatso 2.0

#412 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,395 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

numberonecoog, on 25 September 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

So I need some help. I bought some clubs with recoils in them. They are a full inch long over standard (39 in 5 iron). I know a half inch is 3 SW point sbut with these being graphite in irons is this still the case?

Length based SW changes are largely about how far the head weight moves with respect to the fulcrum point - shaft weight doesn't play a significant part.

Milfordlefty, on 03 October 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

From the first page "5 gr grip = 1 swing weight point"
SW scale is based on a 50 gram grip.
50 grams equals 10 sw points per the above formula.
Can I interpret this to mean a hypothetical club on a sw scale without the grip with a C1 reading should read D1 with a 50 gram grip installed?

The general idea is correct but you also have to account for the length change when the grip is added.  This can be 1/16" to 1/4" depending on the grip w/ 1/8" being the most common amount.  And you've got the direction of the grip weight change backward.

That means it's more like a 9 SW pt difference, not the full 10.  And w/o the grip would be 9 pts heavier, not lighter.  Grip weight reduces swing weight.

e.g. E0 w/o a grip would end up being ~D1 w/ a grip.

Edited by Stuart G., 03 October 2017 - 11:09 AM.

#413 Milfordlefty

Milfordlefty

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46406
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

Stuart, thanks for the clarification. Never dawned on me which direction for change in sw, shows you how sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous.
Driver - Ping K15 10.5º TFC 149D R
FW - Adams XTD Ti 5W, 18°, Matrix Red Tie R, Ping K15 5 Wood, 19°, TFC 149F R, Toski Target 7 wood, UST Proforce V2, R
Hybrid - Pinhawk SL 4h, FST 90 steel, 37", 62.5° lie angle
Irons - Pinhawk SL 5-7, FST 90 steel, R, 37", 63.5° lie angle, 8-SW FST 115 steel, R, 36.5", 63.5° lie angle
Putter - Odyssey #7 w/ SuperStroke Flatso 2.0

#414 ajfgator

ajfgator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120510
  • Handicap:5.8
  • Ebay ID:ajfgator
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

SergioKSU, on 05 June 2011 - 11:36 PM, said:

joey3108, on 22 May 2011 - 12:03 AM, said:

aliikane, on 21 May 2011 - 01:36 AM, said:

Is there a rule of thumb about how much an increase or decrease of swingweights changes flex of shaft?
No changes!

Can you please go into detail as to why this is correct?  How can adding  lead tape to a head NOT make the shaft easier to load?  Just as an  example if an iron is at C5 it's going to feel more "boardy" and launch  lower than the exact same iron with enough tape to get it to D5.  How is  this possible if the shaft isn't flexing more in the transition?  I  bring up this scenario because I just added 1/2" to my MP-60's and added  enough tape to get them all to D2.  The difference is night and day in  being able to feel the shaft load and the ball launching higher.
The shaft is flexing more because of the head weight.
Normally 1/2" increase in shaft length will yield 3 SWs. Sounds like your original Factory Mizuno heads may have been a little light or shafts shorter than
standard, possibly both. Also, may have been previously re-shaifted unless you were the original purchaser. I love Mizuno design and quality. As the great Seve  was once quoted....Nothing feels like a Mizuno!

#415 ajfgator

ajfgator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120510
  • Handicap:5.8
  • Ebay ID:ajfgator
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

ajfgator, on 31 October 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

SergioKSU, on 05 June 2011 - 11:36 PM, said:

joey3108, on 22 May 2011 - 12:03 AM, said:

aliikane, on 21 May 2011 - 01:36 AM, said:

Is there a rule of thumb about how much an increase or decrease of swingweights changes flex of shaft?
No changes!

Can you please go into detail as to why this is correct?  How can adding  lead tape to a head NOT make the shaft easier to load?  Just as an  example if an iron is at C5 it's going to feel more "boardy" and launch  lower than the exact same iron with enough tape to get it to D5.  How is  this possible if the shaft isn't flexing more in the transition?  I  bring up this scenario because I just added 1/2" to my MP-60's and added  enough tape to get them all to D2.  The difference is night and day in  being able to feel the shaft load and the ball launching higher.
The shaft is flexing more because of the head weight.
Normally 1/2" increase in shaft length will yield 3 SWs. Sounds like your original Factory Mizuno heads may have been a little light or shafts shorter than
standard, possibly both. Also, may have been previously re-shaifted unless you were the original purchaser. I love Mizuno design and quality. As the great Seve  was once quoted....Nothing feels like a Mizuno!
Also 10 SWs is generally a full flex ....TT R300 to S300 or Rifle 5.0 to 6.0

#416 Sanzabar

Sanzabar

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125516
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

I am considering chopping -.5" off of irons... what will that bring my current D2.5 swingweight to?

I see a lot of talk about drivers and how length changes it... would it be the same with irons?
Callaway Epic SZ w/Rogue Max
Callaway V-Series 3 wood

Callaway V-Series Heavenwood
Srixon Z H45 22*
Nike Vapor Pro Combo w/DG AMT S300

Callaway PM Grind 56/60*
SeeMore M1 Private Reserve

#Colts #ForTheShoe

#417 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,395 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:58 AM

Yes it's true w/ irons as well.  1/2" length change is roughly 3 sw pts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors