Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New Srixon Z Star XV Review

80 replies to this topic

#31 NWS Alpine

NWS Alpine

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108914
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

Gmac isn't playing the XV yet.  He is still gaming the Z-Star diamond.  He has been promoting the XV as he should now that they are paying him big $

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 drck1000

drck1000

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41544
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

Purchased 2 dz of the Z-Star X today for $60.  The shop also had the XV and two other of the new Srixon balls.  I don't recall which ones, but one of them was yellow.  They were selling for around $45.  I was tempted to try it after reading this thread, but figured I'd give the older X a fair shake first.  I've been playing V1x, so sounds like the Z-Star X will be a good fit for me at a much lower price.  

#33 Johnsti2k6

Johnsti2k6

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88996
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

Anyone know where I can grab a box of these XV. I want to try them out!

#34 ktbfsu

ktbfsu

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43968
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

i live in orlando - and the week after the pga show i found a new z star xv.....stuck it in my bag and forgot about it until this thread.  

i've been playing z star x for about a year......love them.....so today, with this thread on my mind, i break out the z star xv......i had high hopes, but i was little underwhelmed.   i guess i've grown so accustomed to the firmness of the z star x and that the xv felt too soft.  

i do have a question about the regular z star vs the z star x.......less spinny?  i never new that. relatively speaking, i absolutely bomb the z star x.......high, no spin bombs.   would i get even more out of the regular z star if its ostensibly lower spinning?  had no idea that was the case.

#35 ironmikes

ironmikes

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43602
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

View PostJohnsti2k6, on 12 February 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

I have a sleeve available , if somebody wants to try them.

#36 trackcoach13

trackcoach13

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73092
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

View Postironmikes, on 13 February 2011 - 02:04 PM, said:

I have a sleeve available , if somebody wants to try them.

I'd gladly take them off your hands, but how would I pay you and I guess you would have to mail them to me?

Bob

#37 tampay

tampay

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117941
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

View Postktbfsu, on 12 February 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

i live in orlando - and the week after the pga show i found a new z star xv.....stuck it in my bag and forgot about it until this thread.  

i've been playing z star x for about a year......love them.....so today, with this thread on my mind, i break out the z star xv......i had high hopes, but i was little underwhelmed.   i guess i've grown so accustomed to the firmness of the z star x and that the xv felt too soft.  

i do have a question about the regular z star vs the z star x.......less spinny?  i never new that. relatively speaking, i absolutely bomb the z star x.......high, no spin bombs.   would i get even more out of the regular z star if its ostensibly lower spinning?  had no idea that was the case.

It depends on your SS.

If your SS is high like 110-125MPH you should get similar spin rates off the driver with both because you are really compressing the X with more ball speed due to its harder compression. So the X will go farther. like you say.

If however your SS is between the two balls like 90-105 or even less, the Z star will spin less. With slightly less ball speed if your swing is 100-110ish generally speaking.

#38 putt4_66

putt4_66

^Sexiest Golf Attire I've Ever Seen^

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96841
  • Ebay ID:rusty_spring
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

View Posttampay, on 13 February 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

It depends on your SS.

If your SS is high like 110-125MPH you should get similar spin rates off the driver with both because you are really compressing the X with more ball speed due to its harder compression. So the X will go farther. like you say.

If however your SS is between the two balls like 90-105 or even less, the Z star will spin less. With slightly less ball speed if your swing is 100-110ish generally speaking.

I believe what you're saying here, but I still believe in picking a ball from green performance backwards. I am not saying you don't believe that as well. You were just answering another person's question. I'll add to what you said by saying that I can't play the Z-Star because it spins too much on the green on approach shots. My driver SS is only about 104 mph. However, I put A LOT of spin on the ball off irons. I can already spin the Z-Star X 15 to 50 feet backward. The Z-Star will hardly stay on a green at all. So I'm not sure which of the two will give me the greatest driver distance, but I'm sure they're within a few yards of each other. So for those comparing Z-Star with Z-Star X, or the Z-Star XV, look at around the green performance if you put spin on the ball.

I am curious to try the XV. Approach shots, as you might guess, is what I'll evaluate first. Driver distance will be second. Now, before I hear it from others, I can hit approach shots with less spin, but sometimes that's not a shot I can go to depending on conditions or other variables.

#39 tampay

tampay

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

View Postputt4_66, on 14 February 2011 - 01:11 PM, said:

It depends on your SS.

I believe what you're saying here, but I still believe in picking a ball from green performance backwards. I am not saying you don't believe that as well. You were just answering another person's question. I'll add to what you said by saying that I can't play the Z-Star because it spins too much on the green on approach shots. My driver SS is only about 104 mph. However, I put A LOT of spin on the ball off irons. I can already spin the Z-Star X 15 to 50 feet backward. The Z-Star will hardly stay on a green at all. So I'm not sure which of the two will give me the greatest driver distance, but I'm sure they're within a few yards of each other. So for those comparing Z-Star with Z-Star X, or the Z-Star XV, look at around the green performance if you put spin on the ball.

I am curious to try the XV. Approach shots, as you might guess, is what I'll evaluate first. Driver distance will be second. Now, before I hear it from others, I can hit approach shots with less spin, but sometimes that's not a shot I can go to depending on conditions or other variables.

I feel the same way. kt was just saying he hits low spin bombs so I was just addressing the tee shot.

I steep the ball a little and can stop a Topflite XL with a 6 iron in a few feet, as I'm a very high spin player, so I can relate to that painful 40 feet of backspin with a full swing into a headwind, with the pin on a upslope. "It's going right at the pin !, Hop and ZIP! off the front of the green =(.

I spin Z-Star too much with short irons on full shots but love the feel. I have played Z-Star X in regular conditions and can still rip her back. If I'm playing one of the top courses in my area and the greens are like hardwood(doesn't happen that often) I would pull out a Z-Star..

I'm looking forward to the XV because of its lower spin of the tee yes(I posted earlier in the thread about its dual core compared to the X)... But most importantly to me, the XV should feel a little softer then the X, and spin very similar off the irons to the X.

#40 Juan Fabuloso

Juan Fabuloso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52707
  • Ebay ID:juanfabuloso
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

BTW, Dick's in South Florida has Z-Star's priced at 2DZ for $49.99. Sign says Z-Star, manager said I could have my choice of Z's or Z-X for the same price. They did not have XV's in stock. But, $25 a dozen for the '09s, I can wait!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 putt4_66

putt4_66

^Sexiest Golf Attire I've Ever Seen^

• 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96841
  • Ebay ID:rusty_spring
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:15 AM

View Posttampay, on 14 February 2011 - 08:54 PM, said:

View Postputt4_66, on 14 February 2011 - 01:11 PM, said:

It depends on your SS.

I feel the same way. kt was just saying he hits low spin bombs so I was just addressing the tee shot.

I steep the ball a little and can stop a Topflite XL with a 6 iron in a few feet, as I'm a very high spin player, so I can relate to that painful 40 feet of backspin with a full swing into a headwind, with the pin on a upslope. "It's going right at the pin !, Hop and ZIP! off the front of the green =(.

I spin Z-Star too much with short irons on full shots but love the feel. I have played Z-Star X in regular conditions and can still rip her back. If I'm playing one of the top courses in my area and the greens are like hardwood(doesn't happen that often) I would pull out a Z-Star..

I'm looking forward to the XV because of its lower spin of the tee yes(I posted earlier in the thread about its dual core compared to the X)... But most importantly to me, the XV should feel a little softer then the X, and spin very similar off the irons to the X.

If they can pull that off, that'd be great. I'll try one as soon as I can find them.

#42 golfzlife

golfzlife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17238

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

thanks for the review - helps alot.

#43 msd3075

msd3075

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74893
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:46 PM

Other than the "late February" mentioned somewhere, does anyone know when these will officially hit the shelves?

#44 wokel1

wokel1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10422

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

Not sure where you are located, but I was just at a golf retail store in the Boston area and they are fully stocked on the new z-star, z-star xv, both models in pure white and tour yellow.

#45 tampay

tampay

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

The XV should be in stores everywhere by March 1st.

#46 ZBigStick

ZBigStick

It's Good to be the Champ!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13111
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

View Posttampay, on 11 February 2011 - 02:26 AM, said:

Thanks for more info on the XV.

I can see a bunch of 95MPH+ swing speed ZStar and ZStar X players switching to the XV. (due to its performance, not Gmac & Boo recently switching to it)

IF, you ignore the feel, the 09 ZStar, ZStar X played similar. Actually the X spun MORE then the ZStar, just launched a hair lower.

@Johnsti2k6
The XV will be a mix of the two 09 ZStars to the extent that, it will have a softer cover than the X (closer to the ZStar), a low compression middle core so it will get lower spin rates off the driver like the ZStar.

Too clarify the above, the X actually spun more then the ZStar off the driver, (especially for a lower ss player who couldn't compress it) there was a thread a while back about it and dansrixon had some good information.

The X was just one big high compression core(high ball speed, high spin) & the XV has a dual core which is high compression on the outside(high ball speed like the X) and low compression on the inside (low spin like the ZStar) off the driver to get the best of both worlds.

IMO the XV is going to be what the X should have been - a LOWER spin off the long clubs, higher compression ball of the ZStar

This is exactly what I found.  My SS is in that range of 100-105mph.  The X was shorter off of the tee for me, spun too much around the green and felt slightly clicky.  The Z-Star was fantastic in comparison.  It felt like a Pro V1 around the green, I could control the spin, and the yellow cover is very durable.  It holds it's line well in the wind, perhaps only outdone in this category by the B330-S and Tour ix.

I liked the Tour ix, and Pro V1x, so hopefully the new XV will be the bees knees!  :clapping:
Callaway FT Tour 10.5 X-Con 5
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 15 Diamana Blue 83
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 20hy Kuro Kage 80
Callaway X-Proto 24, Apex Pro 5-A PXi
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54/58 PX
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra

#47 LeftRev

LeftRev

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

IMO the XV is going to be what the X should have been - a LOWER spin off the long clubs, higher compression ball of the ZStar
[/quote]

This is exactly what I found.  My SS is in that range of 100-105mph.  The X was shorter off of the tee for me, spun too much around the green and felt slightly clicky.  The Z-Star was fantastic in comparison.  It felt like a Pro V1 around the green, I could control the spin, and the yellow cover is very durable.  It holds it's line well in the wind, perhaps only outdone in this category by the B330-S and Tour ix.

I liked the Tour ix, and Pro V1x, so hopefully the new XV will be the bees knees!  :clapping:
[/quote]

ZBigStick expressed my exact findings of the deficiences of the Z-StarX for people in our SS range and the advantages of my ball of choice, the Z-Star.  He also likes the other two balls that I would choose just behind the Z-Star...ProV1X and Callaway ix.

With that said, I tested the Z-Star XV yellow on Friday against the current Z-Star [75 degrees].  I found the new XV to perform almost exactly like the Z-Star.  I hit multiple shots around the course...both off the tee and into greens.  The XV might be 3-5 yards longer off the tee and the ZStar was a few yards longer off the irons.  Spin and trajectory seemed very similar off the driver and irons.  Both stopped similarly on approach shots.  The Z-Star is still softer.  

My impression is that Srixon has made the XV much more like the current Z-Star.  I'm worried now that the soon to be released Z-Star will also be different and I won't like the new version.  I think I will stock up on the current Z-Star balls at much reduced prices.  I will say that I could play the new XV without noticing much change in performance compared to the current Z-Star except the softness.

Rev.
Adams Launch Lab 10.5
Adams 3446-F proto
Adams A12 tour 22
Wishon 575MMC 4-pw
Scratch Custom 53,59
Walter Hagen Cascade blade 34.5"

#48 Johnsti2k6

Johnsti2k6

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88996

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

I played a round with the xv.

Its awesome. It really is almost exactly like the zstar but like many have said maybe 3-5 yards longer for most... More like 10 for me. I think you will make the most out of this ball if you have a higher swing speed. I swing my driver 114mph so having the characteristics of the  Z Star with the length of the x makes this my number one choice. Such a solid ball, Wish the numbers on it was black thou. Still I think it out performs the regular one by just a hair. But I can stop it on a dime its awesome !

#49 Mustng5

Mustng5

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84916
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

The new star and xv were already at my local Edwin Watts, I picked up a dozen but didnt have a chance to play with them yet...

#50 tampay

tampay

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:18 AM

Did some more pitch/chipping/putting today with the XV, It feels softer then the Star X with about the same bite, also softer then the One Tour D, Love the feel of the XV !

Anyone else gaming it already ?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 Hounddoggolf

Hounddoggolf

Rookie

• 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115117
  • Ebay ID:ebmikeay
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:00 PM

I have played a 6 of each z star and the xv. The XV is going to be the best ball in golf since the tp red. I laughed when I was given these balls thinking I would never play Srixon and they proved me wrong. If they had the advertising budget of some of the other manufactures Titleist would not be the "1 ball in golf." I just hope I can get my hands on 5 dozen next week before my Scotland trip.

#52 Oxxxs

Oxxxs

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65288
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:23 AM

Played 3 holes yesterday with the XV. I've never used Srixon before and was more than surprised. Great feel, good distance and an amazing robustness. After three solid wedge shots that would rip the cover on other balls I could not find a single blemish. I was using the yellow ball and it just seems to be a really new material for the cover. These for sure will be this years ball for me.

#53 ayrzee

ayrzee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124904

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

I got an amazing deal at Golftown when I bought the new Srixon Z Star XV's for half price ( buy one, get one free ). I finally got to use these 2 days ago and I must apologize to Golftown for stealing these balls. Needless to say, I was very impressed. I am not a person to change what I like and if it works for me, I stick with it. I have always been a "Titleist guy" but read about the new Srixon ball and did research it quite a bit before my purchase. Not disappointed at all !
What Srixon says these balls do and how they perform is dead on. They feel is amazing off of any club, cuts through the wind better than ANY Titleist I have used, and the XV performed great on all short iron shots as well as the driver.
I have now swithched permantly to these balls. The XV is in my bag until I can't buy them anymore and Srixon has made me a believer in what they are doing. Also, for 5 plus dollars less a dozen and , to myself, better performance than my usual ball, I am very excited to write my first review and let fellow golfers know about my findings.
GREAT JOB ON THE Z STAR XV SRIXON !!!!!

#54 GaHack1

GaHack1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43854
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

+1 to that ... have been searching for a TP Red replacement and now have found it.. I didn't really like last years Z Star but the XV is super nice. Long off the tee with a nice medium high ball flight and nice around the greens. Definitely one of the longer balls I've ever played (SS 90 to 95).

#55 Tomed

Tomed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101235
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

I'm a 2.3 hndcp now, have been as low as +3.2. Played a nice little munie today where the greens are bent and running around a 9.5 or maybe 10. They were fantastic for a munie. Anywho, last time out I found a Srixon Z Star X V and threw it in my "trash" ball pocket. You know that pocket where you keep top rocks, maxflis, etc? This being a munie I didn't want to "waste" my ProVs (if you play these, you know the mindset). So today, on Hole #1 I reached in my "trash" pocket and this is the ball that found its way into my grasp. I figured "what the heck." I have always been a Titleist ProV1 guy, buying 50 to 100 at a time. Honestly I had zero knowledge of this ball. Thought it was akin to a Noodle or a Mojo. I mean "Srixon"? Yeah, right...

In summary, I just got home, got online and bought six (6) dozen Srixon Z Star X Vs. I was so thoroughly happy with this ball! I was hitting ridiculously good shots off of my irons and was getting mind blowing stopping power/backspin. I normally will get good zip spin with ProVs, but these Srixon's were dancing. I'll spare all the details, but did I mention I bought six dozen? I don't think I'll be going back to ProVs.

I'm thrilled to have found this ball and excited to see where my game goes.

10.5* SLDR- Tour AD BB7x tipped an inch
13* RBZ w/ Black Tie tipped an inch
17* R11 Hybrid
Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 2014
Scott Cameron Newport 2013
Callaway X-Forged 52, 58

#56 phase3golf

phase3golf

ACGolfwrx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153701
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

Already switched to these and was an avid pro v1x user before these!

Unreal golf ball and the durability is what made me switch as I tear up the provx's and I am lucky to get 9 holes out of one before it looks like a range ball.

Will not be going back!
Cobra S9-1 Pro D - Speeder 757
Titleist 910 F-D - PX 8A4
Titleist 910 F - PX 8A4
Cobra S3 Pro's Modus 3's
Cleveland Milled Tour Blade SS Grip
Cleveland 588 51-55-60

#57 bigbutch

bigbutch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131009

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

View Postdoubleeagle, on 28 January 2011 - 05:33 PM, said:

Well I was lucky enough to get a sleeve of the new Srixon Z-Star XV golf balls at the first of the year but today was the first time I had a chance to actually play them.  I have been playing the Z-Star X for a year so I was excited about seeing how these stack up to it.

After playing a few holes with the old Z-Star X I switched to the new Z-Start XV to see if I could actually tell any difference.  I noticed right off that the driver with the Z-Star XV feels softer on contact but goes just as far as the old ball.  The same can be said about the irons, nice smooth feeling at contact.  The old ball would hop, release and stop quick but the new Z-Star XV would hop and stop.  The wind actually picked up throughout the day so it was a good chance to see the differences there.  The new ball seems to hold its line well and cut right through the wind.  The biggest thing I noticed between the two was around the green.  Playing the old Z-Star X I would allow for some release on chip shots where as the new Z-Star XV seems to bite and stop quicker.  I found myself being able to carry it farther and get it to check.  It really surprised me how quick it stopped coming out of some tuff lies in the rough.  I played for some roll and the thing just stopped.

I have loved playing the Z-Star X but I really like what they have done with the new Z-Star XV.  I hope that this helps anyone who is interested in what Srixon is doing.  I like their product and will continue to use it.
I tried the XV and the Z star SL. Not a lot of difference in performance, but the SL is designed for slower swingers. Both balls were the yellow version and they both feel good and are very durable. I got some good spin with both and they go pretty good also.

#58 morebeerbettergolf

morebeerbettergolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178978
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

The XV is the longest tour ball I have ever used.

#59 hardboiled

hardboiled

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127460
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Great ball. The Yellow XV's last fooorrrreeeever

#60 Bladeist

Bladeist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181752

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

I found an XV on the course a few weeks ago, played it for the rest of the round and loved it.  Then as they were on sale ($29 per dozen) I bought 2 doz of the XV and 1 doz of the Z-Star.  They both performed similar for me, with the XV a tad firmer.  I prefer them both to the Prov1 and x.  Similar spin and feel, longer, much more durable and the wind performance is far better too.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors