Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

is this ust attas shaft ruined ??

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dowsa

dowsa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120918
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

hi all, i'm in need of some advice re a situation which happened, ,i've been doing a little shaft changing and grip changing lately (and been successfully enjoying it),  however i deceided  to take my expensive ust mamiya attas (stiff flex) out of my driver to put into another one, the expoxy was'nt seeming to break down and the shaft puller was'nt budging the head so i made the cardinal sin and just tried to twist the head ever so slightly.. yes i eventually got the head off but the tip was all mashed and broke...dam..  so what i did was to cut  the damaged tip off ( about one and a half inches was damaged and i cut 2 inches off) which left my driver shaft 2 inches short, i have now put a 2 inch graphite butt extension in the shaft and it is back to the same length and the tip seems solid again, but have i ruined the shaft? would you not use it again? how much has this effected the characteristics of the shaft, this is an expensive shaft and im trying to salvage it but i my have to learn by my mistakes.. what do you think..

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jayzona

jayzona

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1613
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:27 AM

ouch, 2" is a lot and most likely has changed the shaft characteristics dramatically. Without pics of the damaged shaft its hard to say if the shaft was able to be reused but maybe depending on the shaft tipping directions [and damage] as a 5 wood shaft, but I think you are screwed. It will most likely play extremely stiff [like rebar] and not launch the ball like before...yes you have learned an expensive lesson. Go to ust web site and see what the tipping instructions are. I think you just created the most expensive tomato stake in England.

Edited by jayzona, 25 January 2011 - 07:36 AM.

#3 dowsa

dowsa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

cheers jay, couldnt see the info re tipping guidelines so i have e-mailed ust regarding the circumstances and will see what they have to say... will let you know if they reply.

#4 jayzona

jayzona

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1613
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:14 AM

here is UST's tipping info

http://www.ustmamiya...g_AllShafts.pdf
http://www.ustmamiya...uct.aspx?id=103

#5 dowsa

dowsa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

not looking to promising is it... might just put it my 909 d2 and give it a go just out of curiosity but like you say the tomatoe plants may put it to good use..

#6 stg113

stg113

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41948
  • Ebay ID:
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

Do you have a favorite 5 wood to put it in. Could be used as a stiffer 3 wood. Doubt you would like it as a driver shaft now.
Wishon 919 THI 9* Talamonti PD 70X
Wishon 949 MC 14*  Talamonti PD 80X
Taylormade 2011 18 Rescue NVS 90x Hybrid
Wishon 575MMC 3-PW GD X100 SSX1
Titleist SM4 52 amd 56* GD wedge flex
Never Compormise GM2 Exchange #5
WITB Link

#7 dowsa

dowsa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

got a sharp reply from UST re this matter and they say that the shaft will now play like a XX flex so i guess for the 2 inches i cut off the flex has gone up X2, but you are right stg they say it wont have to much effect if used in a fairway club, they say in there words that it would play quite true.. any monsters out there that play XX flexs....:diablo:

#8 Dasenergi

Dasenergi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78093
  • Ebay ID:Dasenergi420
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

toss it in a 5 wood its a great shaft
Bio Cell ATX Tour Red
Bio Cell 16* ATX Tour Blue
G25 20*
Mizzy MP 53/63 KBS
Mizzy R12 50/54/58
SC Monterey

#9 williamo

williamo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122395
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

Sorry to hear, hope it works out for you!

#10 dowsa

dowsa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

thanks for the replys fellas, but without going too much of the track, i'm now on the lookout for another, can anyone reccommend a really good brand of driver shaft i could try out, i dont mind paying for quality if it works.....will, i notice your using them Diamana Blueboard and Kai'li shafts,  they are quite popular at the minute, and reccomendations.... i have obtained a fujikura rombax 80b prototype S flex whch i might try but dont know nothing about this shaft... all suggestions welcome.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Gareth

Gareth

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4923
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

Sorry to hear this, great shaft the ATTAS.

Might want to have a look at the Miyasaki Kusla range maybe?
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 10.5/AD DI 6s
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 15.0/Ozik 8M2
Callaway DET 18.0/Ozik 8M2
Sonartec HB-001 21.0/PX HC-1
Adams A4 Tour issue 5-PW/KBS TourV stiff
Mizuno MP CLK 24.0/PX HC-1

#12 williamo

williamo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

Try the Kai'li 60 or 70, great shaft! I love mine :) But I can tell you, the blueboard isn't that bad either.

#13 SpinMill75

SpinMill75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66455
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

View PostGareth, on 25 January 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

Sorry to hear this, great shaft the ATTAS.

Might want to have a look at the Miyasaki Kusla range maybe?

The Miyazakis are great  shafts.  Oban Devotion, Project X, Blueboard.......all great options!

#14 williamo

williamo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

If you don't have any use for your ATTAS... I could play it in my 5wood Posted Image

#15 dowsa

dowsa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

will if its ends up being no good for me , its yours...  but will test it out first in a driver and my 5 wood

#16 jstacer2

jstacer2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105078
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

View Postdowsa, on 25 January 2011 - 01:23 PM, said:

i have obtained a fujikura rombax 80b prototype S flex whch i might try but dont know nothing about this shaft... all suggestions welcome.

I had it in a 3 wood for a while and it is basically low launch, low spin, low torque...

I'd give Proforce Axivcore a shot since you like UST...
Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5* Matrix Red Tie S
Looking for a 1 iron
Cobra S3 Pro 2-PW  KBS C-Taper Stiff
Titleist SM4 54*
Titleist SM4 58*
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe TeI3

#17 honketyhank

honketyhank

Uncle Horace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68488
  • Ebay ID:honketyhank
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

View Postdowsa, on 25 January 2011 - 08:23 AM, said:

not looking to promising is it... might just put it my 909 d2 and give it a go just out of curiosity but like you say the tomatoe plants may put it to good use..

In my experience, golf shafts make poor tomato stakes. Too smooth. They do make excellent canes for disciplinary purposes.

#18 kibbs

kibbs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119689

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

I had done this to my Prolaunch Red to make it from a stiff to an X.  It worked, but  the swingweight was totally screwed up by going from a D2 to a C5.  Had to add lead tape to the head, but it turned out fine for me

#19 dowsa

dowsa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:55 AM

im going to go with all 3 of the last replys, im gonna give it a go as kibbs suggests and i am liking what im reading re these axivcores, however i have a feeling that i will be using it to bat myself around the head as honkethyank suggests....  never twist the head of woods   :fool:

#20 andersi

andersi

swing hard and look up

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15110
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

I think I bought this shaft yesterday on the bst.. Tipped 2 inches and unplayable in my driver. Darn it to heck

Callaway X Hot Pro 9.5* w/Attas Elements
Callaway X Hot Pro 17* w/Motore F3 80
Adams a12 Pro 20* w/VTS Silver 85
Ping i20 4-UW w/CFS Cushin
Cleveland 588 Forged RTG 54*/60* w/DG
Ping Scottsdale TR ZB S

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 655

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Put it in a putter. It'd look cool at least.

#22 UST Mamiya TPS

UST Mamiya TPS

• Sponsors
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211441
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

View Postdowsa, on 25 January 2011 - 07:02 AM, said:

hi all, i'm in need of some advice re a situation which happened, ,i've been doing a little shaft changing and grip changing lately (and been successfully enjoying it),  however i deceided  to take my expensive ust mamiya attas (stiff flex) out of my driver to put into another one, the expoxy was'nt seeming to break down and the shaft puller was'nt budging the head so i made the cardinal sin and just tried to twist the head ever so slightly.. yes i eventually got the head off but the tip was all mashed and broke...dam..  so what i did was to cut  the damaged tip off ( about one and a half inches was damaged and i cut 2 inches off) which left my driver shaft 2 inches short, i have now put a 2 inch graphite butt extension in the shaft and it is back to the same length and the tip seems solid again, but have i ruined the shaft? would you not use it again? how much has this effected the characteristics of the shaft, this is an expensive shaft and im trying to salvage it but i my have to learn by my mistakes.. what do you think..

The shaft will not come out all the way to a 2x but you have changed the profile dramatically.  Your best bet would be to use it as a 5 wood shaft but then it will be a very light 5 wood shaft . Pm me if you ave any further questions and if you need assistance in a replacement.  Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors