Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

More wraps of tape on lower hand


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rfarrell51

rfarrell51

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29533
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Ebay ID:rfarrell51
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

I have heard people ask for a couple of more wraps of tape on the lower hand of the grip, in my case the right hand. What is the main purpose of doing this?

Ping G30 11.1* TFC 419D
Ping G30 17, 19, 22 TFC 419H
Mizuno MPH5 5-PW KBS TT Lite
Nike Method Midnight 006 33"
Mizuno MP5 51 MPT 11 56

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 one9reasons

one9reasons

    Shanksalot

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93003
  • Joined: 08/27/2009
  • Location:Southern California
  • Ebay ID:one9reasons
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

Personally, I have placed a wrap or two more on the lower hand (right handed) to try and help me keep the right hand out of the swing.  Sometimes, I tend to get "right handsy" and I have found that having a little thicker grip at the bottom gives me almost the same sensation of "squeezing it harder."

View Postrfarrell51, on 24 January 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

I have heard people ask for a couple of more wraps of tape on the lower hand of the grip, in my case the right hand. What is the main purpose of doing this?


#3 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Denmark - Europe
GolfWRX Likes : 800

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:58 PM

Its also nice if you tend to take your grip lower  from time to time. A standard grip will often be to small if you take a lower grip, so a few layers extra will change that.

Edited by Howard Jones, 25 January 2011 - 08:02 AM.


#4 jrr

jrr

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67716
  • Joined: 10/16/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

+1 for the "right handsy" reason. Had midsize and the left hand was just a bit small for a proper grip and the right hand plain dominated. Went std with two extra wraps under the right hand and it had a nice neutralizing impact.

#5 tincup09

tincup09

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97623
  • Joined: 10/30/2009
  • Handicap:+0.6
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

Yup.  It quites the lower hand.  Can help you minimize a hook.



#6 JCAG

JCAG

    John Curry

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21371
  • Joined: 11/04/2006
  • Location:Lexington, SC
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

View Posttincup09, on 25 January 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

Yup.  It quites the lower hand.  Can help you minimize a hook.

Agree on keeping the right hand out of it.

#7 rexroh

rexroh

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53327
  • Joined: 04/09/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Does this affect swingweight at all?

#8 NWS Alpine

NWS Alpine

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108914
  • Joined: 06/02/2010
  • Location:South FL
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

It takes the taper out of the grip if it's too slim down low.  Some grips have too much taper.  I find you really need 3+ extra wraps down low to really have it affect the squaring of the face during a swing.  This is for my preferences after testing with different tape methods thanks to an air compressor (highly recommended).

#9 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

    Highland Park 18yr Yum!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Joined: 05/09/2006
  • Location:Midwest and Southwest
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1600

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

View Postrfarrell51, on 24 January 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

I have heard people ask for a couple of more wraps of tape on the lower hand of the grip, in my case the right hand. What is the main purpose of doing this?

I have +2 top and +3 bottom.  First off, I am a feel player that uses the "Reverse Overlap" grip which makes my right hand a bit more dominate at impact, as opposed the Vardon grip.  After trying different #'s of wraps some years back, I settled on +3 on the bottom and 60 ribbed standard grips.

Imagine taking a golf ball in your right hand and using an under arm throwing technique, throw the golf ball at a target; this is the premise that helps me and why I like my right hand as the dominate.
SLDR TP 9.5 PX 6C12 TI
R15 TP 15* Blueboard 83 x5ct
RSi TP 2-PW PX5.5
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
Callaway SR2 & ProV1X
SC California Monterey

#10 JCAG

JCAG

    John Curry

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21371
  • Joined: 11/04/2006
  • Location:Lexington, SC
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 25 January 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

View Postrfarrell51, on 24 January 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

I have heard people ask for a couple of more wraps of tape on the lower hand of the grip, in my case the right hand. What is the main purpose of doing this?

I have +2 top and +3 bottom.  First off, I am a feel player that uses the "Reverse Overlap" grip which makes my right hand a bit more dominate at impact, as opposed the Vardon grip.  After trying different #'s of wraps some years back, I settled on +3 on the bottom and 60 ribbed standard grips.

Imagine taking a golf ball in your right hand and using an under arm throwing technique, throw the golf ball at a target; this is the premise that helps me and why I like my right hand as the dominate.

I would say one could not feel the difference in just one wrap of tape.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest


Hi there. Wondering why this box is in your way from continuing to read down this awesome thread? Just join for free and you will never see it again.




#11 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

    Highland Park 18yr Yum!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Joined: 05/09/2006
  • Location:Midwest and Southwest
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1600

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

View Postaccufitgolf, on 25 January 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

View PostPepperturbo, on 25 January 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

View Postrfarrell51, on 24 January 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

I have heard people ask for a couple of more wraps of tape on the lower hand of the grip, in my case the right hand. What is the main purpose of doing this?

I have +2 top and +3 bottom.  First off, I am a feel player that uses the "Reverse Overlap" grip which makes my right hand a bit more dominate at impact, as opposed the Vardon grip.  After trying different #'s of wraps some years back, I settled on +3 on the bottom and 60 ribbed standard grips.

Imagine taking a golf ball in your right hand and using an under arm throwing technique, throw the golf ball at a target; this is the premise that helps me and why I like my right hand as the dominate.

I would say one could not feel the difference in just one wrap of tape.

And, you're welcome to your opinion.  We humans have five senses = for a variety of individual physiological reasons each of those senses vary in sensitivity from hyper to zero per person.  Maybe you're unaware of what causes feel in the hands... TOUCH, also called tactition or mechanoreception, is a perception resulting from activation of neural receptors, generally in the skin including hair follicles.  A variety of pressure receptors respond to variations in pressure (firm, brushing, sustained, etc.).   The loss or "impairment" of the ability to FEEL is called tactile anesthesia.  You'd be surprised how many golfers have lost some or all of the ability to feel slight differences in their hands.  That is often the result of their job or just plain old wear.  My father used tools for fifty years.  He could hardly feel much in later years.  

Also many people use sensicore to numb the slightest club vibration due to hyper nerve sensation; and some people can't even play golf due to sensitivity.  Have you ever heard someone referred to as having "lead hands".  But, if none of that makes sense to you, fine.  It makes a difference to me.  Besides its not the wrap, but how that one extra wrap makes the bottom of the grip feel in my hand; that's all that counts to me.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 25 January 2011 - 06:20 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX 6C12 TI
R15 TP 15* Blueboard 83 x5ct
RSi TP 2-PW PX5.5
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
Callaway SR2 & ProV1X
SC California Monterey

#12 benthegolfer

benthegolfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64748
  • Joined: 09/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

I just prefer to have more of a uniform feel. Grips with too much taper make me feel like I don't have proper control of the club. I will sometimes put even two down low on wedges, as I tend to choke down for a variety of wedge shots, so I like having a bit of a fatter grip. Just personal preference, on my part.


Titleist 913D2 7.5 Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 7.2X
Titleist 910Fd 15 UST VTS Silver 8X
Cobra Baffler Rail 17 True Temper Dynamic Gold X100
Titleist AP2 712 4-PW KBS Tour C-Taper 130X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 50.08F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Titleist Vokey SM5 54.14F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Titleist Vokey SM5 60.11K True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Odyssey White Hot #2
ProV1x

#13 mjiafe

mjiafe

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99614
  • Joined: 12/03/2009
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA
  • Ebay ID:mjiafe
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 25 January 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

View Postaccufitgolf, on 25 January 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

View PostPepperturbo, on 25 January 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

View Postrfarrell51, on 24 January 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

I have heard people ask for a couple of more wraps of tape on the lower hand of the grip, in my case the right hand. What is the main purpose of doing this?

I have +2 top and +3 bottom.  First off, I am a feel player that uses the "Reverse Overlap" grip which makes my right hand a bit more dominate at impact, as opposed the Vardon grip.  After trying different #'s of wraps some years back, I settled on +3 on the bottom and 60 ribbed standard grips.

Imagine taking a golf ball in your right hand and using an under arm throwing technique, throw the golf ball at a target; this is the premise that helps me and why I like my right hand as the dominate.

I would say one could not feel the difference in just one wrap of tape.

And, you're welcome to your opinion.  We humans have five senses = for a variety of individual physiological reasons each of those senses vary in sensitivity from hyper to zero per person.  Maybe you're unaware of what causes feel in the hands... TOUCH, also called tactition or mechanoreception, is a perception resulting from activation of neural receptors, generally in the skin including hair follicles.  A variety of pressure receptors respond to variations in pressure (firm, brushing, sustained, etc.).   The loss or "impairment" of the ability to FEEL is called tactile anesthesia.  You'd be surprised how many golfers have lost some or all of the ability to feel slight differences in their hands.  That is often the result of their job or just plain old wear.  My father used tools for fifty years.  He could hardly feel much in later years.  

Also many people use sensicore to numb the slightest club vibration due to hyper nerve sensation; and some people can't even play golf due to sensitivity.  Have you ever heard someone referred to as having "lead hands".  But, if none of that makes sense to you, fine.  It makes a difference to me.  Besides its not the wrap, but how that one extra wrap makes the bottom of the grip feel in my hand; that's all that counts to me.

Haha, this might be the most thoughtful and mature smackdown I have ever read.  Well done, sir.

#14 Boba

Boba

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15566
  • Joined: 06/18/2006
  • Location:Golfwrx
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

View Postrfarrell51, on 24 January 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

I have heard people ask for a couple of more wraps of tape on the lower hand of the grip, in my case the right hand. What is the main purpose of doing this?
Sex appeal.

#15 vietnameeh

vietnameeh

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93431
  • Joined: 08/31/2009
  • Ebay ID:vietnameeh
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

i have small hands but

i have two extra layers on the bottom for my wedges i really like it around the greens and for pitch shots as i choke down on alot of my 100 yard in shots...

im contemplating doing it to my irons i like it so much


#16 Ultimate Gaj

Ultimate Gaj

    Yes I am wearing Tartan Trousers!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148353
  • Joined: 11/24/2011
  • Location:Nottingham UK
  • Ebay ID:fizzingwhizzbees33
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I am size small/medium in golf gloves and I have to have at least 5 layers of tape on my grips it just feels better for mePosted Image
Club:        Horsley Lodge Golf Club Handicap 1.2
Driver:      Callaway X2 Hot Pro LD 5.5* Project X 8A4 7.0/Miyazaki Kusula Black 72X
3 Wood:   Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 14* Project X 8A2 7.0/Miyazaki Kusula Black 83X
2 Hybrid:  Callaway X2 Hot Pro 16* Prototype Project X HC1 6.5
2 Iron:      Callaway Apex UT 18* (Bent to 17*) Prototype Project X HB6 7.0/TI Cleveland 588 MT 2 iron 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi Black 05 Flex
3 Hybrid:  Callaway X2 Hot Pro 20* Diamana D+ 92 Stiff
3 Iron:      Cleveland 588 MT 19* Miyazaki 83X
Irons:       Callaway Apex 4-5 Apex Pro 6 Razr MB 7-9 KBS Tour-V Stiff
Wedges:  Callaway MD2 47* 52* 58* KBS Tour Custom White Stiff
Putters:    Odyssey #7 Collection: Versa Works, Versa, Tank Cruiser, Metal X Milled, Black Series ix Super Stroke 2.0

#17 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
  • Location:Euharlee, GA
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Mine are 2 wraps overall and 4 extra under the right hand with midsize grips. Did it to remove more taper (Performance Plus 3gens) and keep me from getting flippy with the right hand.

#18 Solutions Etcetera

Solutions Etcetera

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33999
  • Joined: 07/07/2007
  • Location:Northern Sierras
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

You can also take a look at Lamkin's Performance Plus line of grips that are designed with a fatter lower hand.

Tried 'emů didn't like 'em. For me, the less right hand, the better.

#19 Cwing

Cwing

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
  • Joined: 08/10/2007
  • Location:Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,
GolfWRX Likes : 472

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

I don't know if they are still made but find the company line on the Feel Full Release grips. They are reverse taper. Ihad one on a r5 driver a long while ago and I liked it. A buddy of mine still has the driver and same grip on it to this day.
PING g25 10.5* vs g30 10* vs a Covert 2.0
PING k15 16* vs Callaway x2Hot 3 wood
Callaway X2Hot 19*,  K15 23* & 27*
PING G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Big T VLine 35"

http://www.golfwrx.c...ings-witb-2013/

#20 78Staff

78Staff

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 402

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

View Postaccufitgolf, on 25 January 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

I would say one could not feel the difference in just one wrap of tape.

some can, some can't.  I know I can, heck I can even feel the diff between two inch & 3/4 tape under some grips like TV's...  Anyway as I posted in the other thread I've gone away from tape completely and switched to air for installing grips.

Titleist 915D3 9.5* Kyoshi Gold 60s
Titleist 915Fd 15* Rouge 80s
Titleist 915H 21* Diamana S+
Titleist AP2 3-PW S400
TM RAC Black TP 54*, 60*
SS Newport / Select Newport

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest


Hi there. Wondering why this box is in your way from continuing to read down this awesome thread? Just join for free and you will never see it again.




#21 Techvan4Life

Techvan4Life

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166559
  • Joined: 02/27/2012
  • Ebay ID:css-stl
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Just to add an experience of mine that is a bit off topic

When I was working out on tour years ago their were a couple players out there that actually had a 11 piece grip tape diagram that we had to follow, we had a couple 9 and 7 piece guys as well.  You would not believe some of the odd stuff out there.  Bob Estes was the worst.  I watched him one day get his set get regripped and the tech had to go through almost 40 grips to get it done.  He carried his own micrometer on him and measured the grip at 4 or 5 points once finished.

There was an old philosophy out there about quieting the hands and other things, I think it all got started by Moe Norman.  I have even heard of guys of cutting a hole in the the butt of the grip and throwing them on upside down to get rid of the taper.
Srixon Z 545 10.5 - Miyazaki Kusula White 72 X
Callaway X Hot 3 Deep - Miyazaki Kusula White 72 X
Cleveland 588 MT 3 - Miyazaki C. Kua 83 X
Cleveland 588 TC 4-P - Dynamic Gold SL X100
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50 - Dynamic Gold SL X100
Cleveland RTX 2.0 54 - Dynamic Gold SL X100
Cleveland RTX 2.0 58 - Dynamic Gold SL X100
Piretti Matera FN - 39" 375g Custom
Srixon Z Star XV




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors