Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

More wraps of tape on lower hand

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rfarrell51

rfarrell51

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29533
  • Ebay ID:rfarrell51
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

I have heard people ask for a couple of more wraps of tape on the lower hand of the grip, in my case the right hand. What is the main purpose of doing this?

Ping G30 11.1* TFC 419D
Ping G30 17, 19, 22 TFC 419H
Apex 5-PW DG Pro's S300
Nike Method Midnight 006 33"
Vokey SM5 48, 52,Miz MPT 11 56

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 one9reasons

one9reasons

Shanksalot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93003
  • Ebay ID:one9reasons
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

Personally, I have placed a wrap or two more on the lower hand (right handed) to try and help me keep the right hand out of the swing.  Sometimes, I tend to get "right handsy" and I have found that having a little thicker grip at the bottom gives me almost the same sensation of "squeezing it harder."

View Postrfarrell51, on 24 January 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

I have heard people ask for a couple of more wraps of tape on the lower hand of the grip, in my case the right hand. What is the main purpose of doing this?

#3 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 445

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:58 PM

Its also nice if you tend to take your grip lower  from time to time. A standard grip will often be to small if you take a lower grip, so a few layers extra will change that.

Edited by Howard Jones, 25 January 2011 - 08:02 AM.

#4 jrr

jrr

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67716
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

+1 for the "right handsy" reason. Had midsize and the left hand was just a bit small for a proper grip and the right hand plain dominated. Went std with two extra wraps under the right hand and it had a nice neutralizing impact.

#5 tincup09

tincup09

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97623
  • Handicap:+0.6
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

Yup.  It quites the lower hand.  Can help you minimize a hook.

#6 JCAG

JCAG

John Curry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21371
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

View Posttincup09, on 25 January 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

Yup.  It quites the lower hand.  Can help you minimize a hook.

Agree on keeping the right hand out of it.

#7 rexroh

rexroh

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53327

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Does this affect swingweight at all?

#8 NWS Alpine

NWS Alpine

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108914
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

It takes the taper out of the grip if it's too slim down low.  Some grips have too much taper.  I find you really need 3+ extra wraps down low to really have it affect the squaring of the face during a swing.  This is for my preferences after testing with different tape methods thanks to an air compressor (highly recommended).

#9 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 985

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

I have +2 top and +3 bottom.  First off, I am a feel player that uses the "Reverse Overlap" grip which makes my right hand a bit more dominate at impact, as opposed the Vardon grip.  After trying different #'s of wraps some years back, I settled on +3 on the bottom and 60 ribbed standard grips.

Imagine taking a golf ball in your right hand and using an under arm throwing technique, throw the golf ball at a target; this is the premise that helps me and why I like my right hand as the dominate.
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#10 JCAG

JCAG

John Curry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21371
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 25 January 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

I have +2 top and +3 bottom.  First off, I am a feel player that uses the "Reverse Overlap" grip which makes my right hand a bit more dominate at impact, as opposed the Vardon grip.  After trying different #'s of wraps some years back, I settled on +3 on the bottom and 60 ribbed standard grips.

Imagine taking a golf ball in your right hand and using an under arm throwing technique, throw the golf ball at a target; this is the premise that helps me and why I like my right hand as the dominate.

I would say one could not feel the difference in just one wrap of tape.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 985

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

View Postaccufitgolf, on 25 January 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

And, you're welcome to your opinion.  We humans have five senses = for a variety of individual physiological reasons each of those senses vary in sensitivity from hyper to zero per person.  Maybe you're unaware of what causes feel in the hands... TOUCH, also called tactition or mechanoreception, is a perception resulting from activation of neural receptors, generally in the skin including hair follicles.  A variety of pressure receptors respond to variations in pressure (firm, brushing, sustained, etc.).   The loss or "impairment" of the ability to FEEL is called tactile anesthesia.  You'd be surprised how many golfers have lost some or all of the ability to feel slight differences in their hands.  That is often the result of their job or just plain old wear.  My father used tools for fifty years.  He could hardly feel much in later years.  

Also many people use sensicore to numb the slightest club vibration due to hyper nerve sensation; and some people can't even play golf due to sensitivity.  Have you ever heard someone referred to as having "lead hands".  But, if none of that makes sense to you, fine.  It makes a difference to me.  Besides its not the wrap, but how that one extra wrap makes the bottom of the grip feel in my hand; that's all that counts to me.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 25 January 2011 - 06:20 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#12 benthegolfer

benthegolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64748
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

I just prefer to have more of a uniform feel. Grips with too much taper make me feel like I don't have proper control of the club. I will sometimes put even two down low on wedges, as I tend to choke down for a variety of wedge shots, so I like having a bit of a fatter grip. Just personal preference, on my part.

Taylormade SLDR 9.5 UST Attas T2 6X
Taylormade RBZ TP 14.5 MRC Kuro Kage 70X
Adams A12 Pro 18,20 Matrix Ozik Altus S
Titleist AP2 712 4-PW Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Vokey SM5 54, 60 Project X 6.0

#13 mjiafe

mjiafe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99614
  • Ebay ID:mjiafe

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 25 January 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

And, you're welcome to your opinion.  We humans have five senses = for a variety of individual physiological reasons each of those senses vary in sensitivity from hyper to zero per person.  Maybe you're unaware of what causes feel in the hands... TOUCH, also called tactition or mechanoreception, is a perception resulting from activation of neural receptors, generally in the skin including hair follicles.  A variety of pressure receptors respond to variations in pressure (firm, brushing, sustained, etc.).   The loss or "impairment" of the ability to FEEL is called tactile anesthesia.  You'd be surprised how many golfers have lost some or all of the ability to feel slight differences in their hands.  That is often the result of their job or just plain old wear.  My father used tools for fifty years.  He could hardly feel much in later years.  

Also many people use sensicore to numb the slightest club vibration due to hyper nerve sensation; and some people can't even play golf due to sensitivity.  Have you ever heard someone referred to as having "lead hands".  But, if none of that makes sense to you, fine.  It makes a difference to me.  Besides its not the wrap, but how that one extra wrap makes the bottom of the grip feel in my hand; that's all that counts to me.

Haha, this might be the most thoughtful and mature smackdown I have ever read.  Well done, sir.

#14 Boba

Boba

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15566
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Sex appeal.

#15 vietnameeh

vietnameeh

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93431
  • Ebay ID:vietnameeh
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

i have small hands but

i have two extra layers on the bottom for my wedges i really like it around the greens and for pitch shots as i choke down on alot of my 100 yard in shots...

im contemplating doing it to my irons i like it so much

#16 Ultimate Gaj

Ultimate Gaj

Yes I am wearing Tartan Trousers!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148353
  • Ebay ID:fizzingwhizzbees33

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I am size small/medium in golf gloves and I have to have at least 5 layers of tape on my grips it just feels better for mePosted Image
Club: Horsley Lodge GC Handicap 1.9!
BBA 8* Diamana (Orange) Whiteboard 63X
X2 Hot Pro 13.5*,17*,20*(Hybrid) PL Red
Callaway Apex 4-5 Apex Pro 6-9 KBS-V S
Odyssey Metal X Milled #7 SS Mid Slim
Callaway MD2 46,52,58 KBS Black Nickel

#17 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• 8,784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 622

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Mine are 2 wraps overall and 4 extra under the right hand with midsize grips. Did it to remove more taper (Performance Plus 3gens) and keep me from getting flippy with the right hand.

#18 Solutions Etcetera

Solutions Etcetera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33999
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

You can also take a look at Lamkin's Performance Plus line of grips that are designed with a fatter lower hand.

Tried 'emů didn't like 'em. For me, the less right hand, the better.

#19 Cwing

Cwing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

I don't know if they are still made but find the company line on the Feel Full Release grips. They are reverse taper. Ihad one on a r5 driver a long while ago and I liked it. A buddy of mine still has the driver and same grip on it to this day.
G25 10.5* & 12*
G25 15* & k15 16*
G25 20* & K15 23* hybrids
G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Cleveland 54 Rtx, 60 cg12
WITB Link

#20 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 3,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
GolfWRX Likes : 279

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

some can, some can't.  I know I can, heck I can even feel the diff between two inch & 3/4 tape under some grips like TV's...  Anyway as I posted in the other thread I've gone away from tape completely and switched to air for installing grips.

Callaway BB Alpha 10.5* Zeta Tour 60s
Callaway BB 15* Zeta 70s
Adams Super LS 22* Kuro Kage 80s
Callaway Apex 4-PW PX 6.0
MD2 52/56/60*
Cameron Studio Style Newport

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Techvan4Life

Techvan4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166559
  • Ebay ID:css-stl
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Just to add an experience of mine that is a bit off topic

When I was working out on tour years ago their were a couple players out there that actually had a 11 piece grip tape diagram that we had to follow, we had a couple 9 and 7 piece guys as well.  You would not believe some of the odd stuff out there.  Bob Estes was the worst.  I watched him one day get his set get regripped and the tech had to go through almost 40 grips to get it done.  He carried his own micrometer on him and measured the grip at 4 or 5 points once finished.

There was an old philosophy out there about quieting the hands and other things, I think it all got started by Moe Norman.  I have even heard of guys of cutting a hole in the the butt of the grip and throwing them on upside down to get rid of the taper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors