Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 29 votes

Stratton's WITB ~Red White & PING~ **NEW UPDATE VIDEO PAGE 18**

2164 replies to this topic

#2161 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

Shoot to Thrill, Play to Kill......

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53652
GolfWRX Likes : 614

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

View PostUnderPar18, on 06 June 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

Curious if Stratton ever considered transferring given the competitive nature of the team and not getting into matches after having success. Given that he intends to go pro how much does not playing in matches hurt him? I take it not much since he still has Karsten Creek as a home course to prep on?

Wishing him continued success.

I was contacted by back channel people wanting to know if he would transfer.  Primarily three schools, but the two schools he considered have won recent championships and are top D1 programs.  He could have transferred to either and played but in the end, he did not want to damage relationships that he has built with people associated with the oSu program as well as his teammates.  He weighed both sides of this realizing that he was never going to get the benefit of doubt from this coach.  He decided to stay.  Who knows if that was better or worse for him.  I will say that this was a miserable year for him mentally as well as for some of the other players there that were in a similar position.   There are players leaving there early as we speak for much the same reasons.  The numbers game of players that remain following this championship season is going to be something to watch.  Stratton loves the oSu program, the school, his teammates and the contacts he has made there.  Had you offered Stratton one of these two things when he signed:  1) You will win a collegiate event, Be the Big12 individual Champion, be an All American, receive two degrees, win the Directors Chair @ oSu for having the highest GPA for your sport, be part of a National Championship team vs  2) playing all four years at another school...........He would choose 1)  every time even with the heartache and behind the scenes BS.  His time there has had its ups and downs, but none of that was ever because of the school or teammates.  He is in SUCH a better place mentally right now.  Watching him this last weekend, proves to me how important it is for a player to be mentally free from trying to play to change one person's mind about you.  Stratton is free of that and feels good about himself once again and his numbers already show it.  He loves oSu and everything that is oSu golf.  Nothing will take that away and he will always be a part of the oSu golf history in accomplishing something more than just being there.

He can go back to Karsten as much as he wants while being a pro to practice or play, HOWEVER,   Oak Tree National is his home course now.  He fortunately is living on the first hole with oSu golf legend and pro Willie Wood and Hayden.  They have a lot of pros at OTN and being around these guys and being able to play and practicing with them is exactly what he needs.  He has told me point blank that OTN is the best course he has ever played to prepare him for the next level.

Posted Image

Edited by Deerslayer, 06 June 2018 - 11:52 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2162 oldhamer25

oldhamer25

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120505
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:40 AM

This is hard for me to say being the OSU fan I am, but I secretively hoped he transferred and came back and beat us.  I figured with all his course knowledge some other D1 would want that as the NCAA championship was at KC.
917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
716 T-MB 3 PX 6.0
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14

#2163 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:58 AM

View Postoldhamer25, on 06 June 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

This is hard for me to say being the OSU fan I am, but I secretively hoped he transferred and came back and beat us.  I figured with all his course knowledge some other D1 would want that as the NCAA championship was at KC.

LOL trust me, that went through my mind constantly and I am sure his as well.  I really feel just as bad for Sam this year.  He played really well the whole second semester winning a lot of the qualifying yet wasted his senior year for one or two starts.  Stratton let this mentally get to him and kind of packed it in early I felt and his game showed it.   All ANY of those players wanted was legitimate qualifying criteria.  Had this been in place, the players need to only look at themselves if they didn't earn it by scores.

Edited by Deerslayer, 06 June 2018 - 12:01 PM.

#2164 Mtngolfer1

Mtngolfer1

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45586
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 479

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:20 PM

Deerslayer, Thank you for sharing that glimpse into Stratton's experience at OSU .

Your post echoes a brief conversation I had with a gentlemen about the program, I played in a member guest about a year ago at a prominent Denver CC. In our foursome I spoke with a gentlemen who was very familiar with the OSU program and a former OSU player. I mentioned Stratton and this thread, he was familiar with him The gentlemen  said that Stratton was an exceptional kid and that he could play at any Div 1 program in the country as a top 5 player  and a number 1 at most schools. In reality as could any of the ten at OSU. He said that there is a definite benefit to playing at OSU, but you had better be able to put your ego  aside because it is a program like with golf it's self of "what have you done for me lately".   He was careful I think not to say anything bad about the program, but he was also careful not to sing it's praises  too much. But not much was excepted from a 10 minute conversation.

This entire thread as been a great pleasure to follow I wish Stratton and your family all the best going forward in whatever the next leg of this journey brings you all.  Please keep us posted.

Edited by Mtngolfer1, 06 June 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#2165 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:05 PM

LOL, he knows first hand.  Stratton almost followed his exact footsteps too.  BTW, he is doing GREAT right now on the Web.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors