Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Stack and tilt downswing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Arcadyus

Arcadyus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120958
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

ok here are my two questions. When starting downswing if my weight is already 70/30 do I need to slide my hips forward or just turn them through impact. And at impact do I stay in same posture or stand up slightly. Any help with these concerns would be great.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Arcadyus

Arcadyus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

And how far inside do I need to be just enough to keep a tee from falling out of my left armpit?

#3 cbrian

cbrian

5SK DoI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53473
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:43 AM

The 70/30 is a description of pressure rather than actual weight. If you watch Charlie in this clip you can see everything is centered over the middle of his feet and then during transition the hips start pushing towards the target. The pressure is just to help make that process easier.

I don't really know how to answer the 2nd question. The angle that the club moves in on is something like 20*. However, you should be able to keep the tees in regardless. Its just a matter of squeezing with the left armpit.

#4 Arcadyus

Arcadyus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

Holy crap ding. Just made a few practice swings and now I'm not falling to me left. Pressure not weight. And he does slide his hips a bit but stays down through impact. This makes so much more sense.

#5 cbrian

cbrian

5SK DoI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:01 AM

View PostArcadyus, on 23 January 2011 - 02:58 AM, said:

Holy crap ding. Just made a few practice swings and now I'm not falling to me left. Pressure not weight. And he does slide his hips a bit but stays down through impact. This makes so much more sense.

Make sure that you are separating the hips from your upper center. Meaning that the hips push forward and the head stays centered. I would think that if you were falling over previously, you were moving your upper center forward as well. Try this drill and notice the feeling of the separation of upper and lower centers.

#6 Arcadyus

Arcadyus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

He makes it look so simple. No drastic left shoulder dip(some youtube videos) a little hip slide but really just turn shoulders back then through and stay down through impact then comes up. This video makes it look slot less complicated than
Most on youtube

#7 Arcadyus

Arcadyus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:07 AM

Watching the wi video showed me what I was doing. I was moving my hips and upper body inturn placing my head in front of ball. But I will use this drill tomorrow. Thanks

Edited by Arcadyus, 23 January 2011 - 03:08 AM.

#8 Arcadyus

Arcadyus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:21 AM

Just used the drill no more falling forward. But my back has to get use to this new movement. Stupid bad back

#9 HappyGolf

HappyGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119650
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

View PostArcadyus, on 23 January 2011 - 02:27 AM, said:

ok here are my two questions. When starting downswing if my weight is already 70/30 do I need to slide my hips forward or just turn them through impact. And at impact do I stay in same posture or stand up slightly. Any help with these concerns would be great.

Yes you need to slide your hips forward, at impact you should be applying pressure to the ground, if that means standing up then yes, you'd be standing up slightly.

One thing to remember when looking at other swings is that you can't determine what shot they were playing. If you want to move the ball from right to left (push-draw) then you need to make sure your weight (and the grip) is forward enough to encourage an in/out swingpath, the more centered you are the straighter the swingpath, and the less predictable the shot shape eg: Charlie Wi may well have been practicing a push-fade.

#10 Arcadyus

Arcadyus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:06 AM

View PostHappyGolf, on 23 January 2011 - 09:54 AM, said:

View PostArcadyus, on 23 January 2011 - 02:27 AM, said:

Yes you need to slide your hips forward, at impact you should be applying pressure to the ground, if that means standing up then yes, you'd be standing up slightly.

One thing to remember when looking at other swings is that you can't determine what shot they were playing. If you want to move the ball from right to left (push-draw) then you need to make sure your weight (and the grip) is forward enough to encourage an in/out swingpath, the more centered you are the straighter the swingpath, and the less predictable the shot shape eg: Charlie Wi may well have been practicing a push-fade.

what about on the backswing is it ok for my head to drop an inch or three?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 cbrian

cbrian

5SK DoI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

I'd prefer it not drop in the backswing. I'd probably have you work on your extension.

However, I don't think its a must fix... just personal preference.

Edited by cbrian, 26 January 2011 - 01:14 AM.

#12 Arcadyus

Arcadyus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

View Postcbrian, on 26 January 2011 - 01:11 AM, said:

I'd prefer it not drop in the backswing. I'd probably have you work on your extension.

However, I don't think its a must fix... just personal preference.

how would you have me work on my extension?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors