Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Gap Wedge vs Sand Wedge. Really weird!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bobilishious2

bobilishious2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121647
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

So, i've been playing a couple of CG10 wedges now for a couple of years, a 52 degree and a 56 degree.

I went to get my clubs checked recently and the 52 degree wedge has a shaft length of 35 inches and swingweight of D1.6 whereas the 56 degree wedge had a shaft length of 35.25 and a swingweight of D5.0. Is it me or does this seem a bit off given that the two wedges were bought as a pair? I'm surprised I didn't notice this but it just seems really strange. Does anyone know which of the clubs is "correct"? I thought D1.6 was quite light for a wedge but I may be wrong.

Given the difference between the two I was looking to get my clubs reshafted with the same as my irons when i finally buy them which i'm pretty sure will be Project X 6.5's. Is this a normal thing to do or should i get the flex a bit softer for my wedges given that i'm never likely to hit them "all out"?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 TLT_Dan

TLT_Dan

TLT_DAN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43988
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

View Postbobilishious, on 22 January 2011 - 12:04 PM, said:

So, i've been playing a couple of CG10 wedges now for a couple of years, a 52 degree and a 56 degree.

I went to get my clubs checked recently and the 52 degree wedge has a shaft length of 35 inches and swingweight of D1.6 whereas the 56 degree wedge had a shaft length of 35.25 and a swingweight of D5.0. Is it me or does this seem a bit off given that the two wedges were bought as a pair? I'm surprised I didn't notice this but it just seems really strange. Does anyone know which of the clubs is "correct"? I thought D1.6 was quite light for a wedge but I may be wrong.

Given the difference between the two I was looking to get my clubs reshafted with the same as my irons when i finally buy them which i'm pretty sure will be Project X 6.5's. Is this a normal thing to do or should i get the flex a bit softer for my wedges given that i'm never likely to hit them "all out"?

Sand wedges are often built to a heavier swing weight than the rest of your clubs. It has a different job, so cit arries more head weight and usually bounce.

#3 Manz60

Manz60

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54828
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

+1 Dan. Heres a typical configuration:

52  35.5"  D3
56  35.25"  D5
*this provides the same feel within the wedge set.

I'd recommend the same flex as irons (for stability) or slightly more flexable (for feel around the green )....your choice.

Hope your day goes well :clapping:

#4 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 733

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

A sand wedge or L wedge typically have a heavier swing weight than a GW or PW.  Mostly because it gives you more feel on partial shots and the heavier head weight moves through rough and sand better.  As far as the specs on your wedges go, it seens the quality control on the lengths of your Clevelenad clubs seem off.  The GW should be slightly longer than the SW in theory, def. not shorter.
Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

#5 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1012

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

IMO - NOT unusual with today's store bought equipment.  52/53 are typically played with fulls swing for average Joe golfer... hence the lighter swing weight which matches up with most contemporary iron sets.  However, the 56* SW should have a heavier swing weight of D3-D6 depending on OEM, same is true with 54, 58 and 60* wedges.  Shaft length is part of why 56 and the others mentioned have heavier SW's, plus they might be weighted to get to that SW.

Irons or wedges don't have to match up swing weight wise.  For example, I play PX 6.0's in 2- PW, plus my 53* has PX 6.0, but it's swing weighted at D5 (weighted).  My 59* LW however has a S200 and D6 (weighted).  PW, SW and LW are all the same length 35.5"   The only club I seldom hit full is LW - in part why it has a different shaft.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#6 leoh923

leoh923

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71328
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

So, i've been playing a couple of CG10 wedges now for a couple of years

If you had not noticed the difference while playing them for "a couple of years", I wouldn't get too concerned with it now. Same shafts as the irons would work fine, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors