Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Cleveland Classics RC85

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52746
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:20 AM

I know this has been mentioned many times before, I know because I've searched the site pretty thoroughly. I will be switching permanently to an "old school" bag this season. I'm through with playing the manufacturers game of constantly chasing the next big thing. Will I score as well, probably not, my handicap may go up a bit but I dont care. From now on I play for fun, damn the score. Fairway wood is an old TA 986 Tour.   Irons are set (Hogan Apex PC 1-PW) and I have a mint Wilson JP II Sand Wedge. Wilson 8802 goes back in the bag. The only item left is the driver. I inherited an old Cleveland Classics RC85. I'm looking for someone to refinish it. I live looking at all the old Macs in this forum and am hopeful someone would point me in the direction of someone who would do a good job. Not looking for perfection, just cleaning it up. Reshaft is a must but not new graphite. Steel us what is coming out, steel us what's going back in.

If someone knows a good, quality refinisher I would really appreciate a heads up.

Thanks...

Matt

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Maxwell

Maxwell

Max

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99037
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:00 AM

Matt - I too play older irons and woods. I also repair,rebuild and  refinish(3R's) persimmon woods but only have 3.5 years experience at doing it. I have seen some pictures of persimmon woods rebuilt and refinished by some of the guys here at Golfwrx. I am just astonished and the level of finish. I'm slowly working towards that level of finish but have a ways to go. I have several sets of Clevelands RC85's and have played them too! They are a "treat" to play golf with.
Best of luck - Max

#3 BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:33 AM

Thank you for replying.

Those clubs look GREAT! You do really good work. If I may impose, would you be able to refinish my RC85? I'll pay whatever, doesn't matter. Time frame doesn't matter either. If your schedule is anything like mine you don't have much free time.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Matt

#4 freddiec

freddiec

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2258
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:38 AM

Barney,
Your vintage bag set up sounds great and the RC85 is beautiful persimmon driver. I think you'll find that if you play courses that are not very long, your score may not go up that much and you will definitely enjoy it.

#5 Maxwell

Maxwell

Max

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

View PostBarneyRubble, on 19 January 2011 - 07:33 AM, said:

Thank you for replying.

Those clubs look GREAT! You do really good work. If I may impose, would you be able to refinish my RC85? I'll pay whatever, doesn't matter. Time frame doesn't matter either. If your schedule is anything like mine you don't have much free time.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Matt

Matt - Those RC85's that I own and posted pictures of are in original condition. I have never had to touch them. Keep a watch on your posting. Someone soon will probably send you a personal mail or PM and start some dialog with you about the work you would like done on your RC85's. It will not be me - Max

#6 BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

Thank you Maxwell!

I did receive a few messages.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Matt

#7 drewspin

drewspin

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15821
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

Matt,

I'm with you 100% on your original post.

I'm also committed to playing my vintage gear full time this year. It's all about fun.

#8 RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor

Joe Drinking Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17087
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

I agree with going back with classic gear but I have yet pulled the trigger on a full set.  I am gaming 1950s MacGregor persimmon woods (driver and 3 wood).  That is where my vintage gear stops.  I game Mizuno MP32s, MP GW, Callaway "Vintage" LW, and a TP Mills Heritage putter.  I will be gaming a Byron Morgan "Designed by Captain Morgan" putter this year as well.  As far as vintage irons go, I might seek a set of 80s MacGregors (Muirfield 20th irons maybe).  That said, I am definitely in the persimmon camp and love it!

#9 BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

Robotdoctor...your post leads me to an interesting question. What is vintage? Where is the line? If I decided to play a set of Mizuno's which set is vintage, which set is modern?

Just a fun question.

Hehe, I hijacked my own thread.

Matt

#10 professor_doom

professor_doom

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103897
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:11 AM

View PostBarneyRubble, on 19 January 2011 - 08:13 PM, said:

Robotdoctor...your post leads me to an interesting question. What is vintage? Where is the line? If I decided to play a set of Mizuno's which set is vintage, which set is modern?

Just a fun question.

Hehe, I hijacked my own thread.

Matt

IMO, "classic" is not necessarily defined by the actual age of the club.  The Palmer Peerless Pete was a contemporary of the Big Bertha, yet I doubt anyone on here would deny that it is a classic driver.  Instead, I would say that "classic" is delineated more by the design mentality that went into the club.  In general, "classic" clubs were designed primarily to maximize your potential as a golfer as measured by quality of your good shots, while non-classics were and are designed to maximize the acceptability of your bad ones, even if this comes at the expense of feel, workability, and control.  Generally speaking, I don't consider cast clubs of any age to be classic--part of the appeal to me is the fact that skilled craftsmen are a necessary part of the forging process, while any monkey with a furnace can produce a passable casting.  That said, I'll make a few exceptions, including the early Ping bronze putters and the Eye2 irons (despite the design emphasis on forgiveness), the Armour 845 irons, and Cleveland's brilliant 485 and 588, all of which were cast.

For example, if you're considering Mizuno, let's look at the clubs Tiger carried as an ameteur.  His bag in the '95 British Open was:

Taylor made Burner 9.5 Driver (steel shaft)
Taylor Made Tour Spoon 14 (Bubble shaft)
Mizuno MP29 2 & 3 irons
Mizuno MP 14 4-PW irons
Cleveland 588 Chrome 56 & 60
Ping Anser 2 steel putter

IMO, those irons and wedges all count as classic.  I consider metal-woods that pre-date the Big Bertha "vintage"--interesting pieces of golf history, showing the gradual development of technology--but absolutely not "classic."  Of course, I would say that some metal woods, like the Callaway Steelhead Plus fairways, TM 200 Steel driver and fairways, and Titleist 975d, not to mention Tiger's beloved bore-through PT 15, would rate as "modern classics."  So would some newer, non-blade irons, including the Cleveland TA3's and several Hogan models from the past 20 or so years.

Maybe a simpler, more objective way to determine whether or not a club is vintage is to consider whether it was designed for balata or for the ProV1.

Just my opinion.  Feel free to flame away.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Maxwell

Maxwell

Max

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

View PostBarneyRubble, on 19 January 2011 - 08:13 PM, said:

<br />Robotdoctor...your post leads me to an interesting question. What is vintage? Where is the line? If I decided to play a set of Mizuno's which set is vintage, which set is modern? <br /><br />Just a fun question.<br /><br />Hehe, I hijacked my own thread.<br /><br />Matt<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Barney R.
Thats a good question which will garner alot of opinions from the members at this golf discussion web site. I have always thought that vintage clubs were "at least" 50 years or older. Antique is 100 years or older. Ancient is what you, Fred, Wilma and Betty used!?
Max

#12 tradeandgolf

tradeandgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73003

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

Interesting dilemma ---  classics (or vintage) irons would be in the eye of the beholder I guess    (they would have to be "old grooves" i suppose)

The Woods are easy---WOOD woods!!  If I was playing a "old club" tournament using my Texan or my Mac SEOM, and a guy pulls out a new
Louisville persimmon, it wouldn't bother me in the least...

Thoughts??

Edited by tradeandgolf, 21 January 2011 - 12:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors