Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mp53 vs r9 tp

52 replies to this topic

#31 albatrosser

albatrosser

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73432
GolfWRX Likes : 541

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

View Postidriveahonda, on 14 January 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

With my r9 TP's w/ KBS stiffs I have issues with flyers all around the golf course.  My ss with a 6-iron is 98mph, and the r9 flat out takes off.

I'm two clubs longer with the r9 TP than an other club I have hit, but to me that bwasnt what I wanted.  I switched back to my 690.MB's for the consistent distances.

The r9 TP is a great feeling club and would be great for a lower ss or smoother tempo golfer...it will launch high and be long.  Really a great club.

I can't stand Mizuno irons, as I have owned three different sets and they all felt just terrible (MP60 being the only standout).

6 iron ss of 98 mph... why on EARTH would you be using KBS stiffs?... no wonder you get flyers.  My 6i ss is an easy 8-10 mph under yours and I hit the KBS Tour stiffs 4 miles high.  Worthless shafts IMO.

to kgeorge :  the AP2 cult has become worse than the SC cult.  People ask for opinions about two specific irons, neither of which include your beloved AP2's, and yet someone from the cult always has to spout off about the AP2's.  Get over it.  Nice irons.  Maybe the best YOU have ever played, but believe me... they're not the end-all of irons.

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 wedge1

wedge1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45005
  • Ebay ID:winejody2005
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

Owned both sets...  First comment is that they are two different animals.  The R9 TP is a moderate sole (not thin by any means) and is consistent through the whole set.  The MP53 is basically a combo set (Different than the 62 so they are not comparable).  The 53 goes from nearly blade like 8-PW to channel back 4-7 (a la AP2).  The MP53 also has the back of the sole on all the clubs ground off....which means they will interact with the turf much more like a thinner iron than the R9TP...or even the AP2 (Which I am bagging now).  

Wider sole irons, while they provide more forgiveness on off center hits, can "bounce" into the ball...especially on firm conditions.  That's why some players who may not have the handicap number for "blade like clubs" can actually make better contact with thinner soles...especially if they have a steeper swing.  

The MP53 is the right club for the person who has developed their game around  thin sole irons and is looking for forgiveness...but wants to stay similar to blades in turn interaction in the short irons.  It will be a smaller adjustment from blades to the MP53 than it will to the R9TP.   With either club you will need to sweep the longer irons more and can then make use of the forgiveness.  The MP63 is basically a whole set of the MP53 8-PW irons.  For comparison, the new VR Pro Combo is a similar strategy to the MP53, but is slightly slid to the right on the forgiveness scale...meaning the short irons are true blades and the longer irons are perimeter cavities versus channels.  Less forgiveness across the set, but less requirement to sweep in the longer irons.

With the heads, those are the factors I would suggest considering since they make a difference on the course.  The only way you will be able to evaluate how they will perform is to hit them off grass so you can see the turf interaction.  I'd suggest hitting a 4 and a 9 iron from each.  Once you see how they are different and pick the head, you can dial in the right shaft.  he MP53 was considerably higher launch than my 710 MB (DG shaft to DG Shaft comparison).  I only had the R9TP with KBS shafts which was a higher launch too.  I'd suspect that the R9TP is probably a slightly lower launching head than the MP53 with similar shafts.  The MP53 longer irons are very similar in launch and performance to the AP2.  if you are in between flexes and not sure what to do, consider that a stiffer shaft will be more stable on steeper swings and more aggressive interaction with the ground.  If you are that sort of swing, it's important.  If you sweep all your irons (taking little divot), you can maximize feel and distance with a softer flex and not miss the extra stability on the course.  I always suggest that better players who sweep and play regular flex shafts (Especially the tweener bewteen S and R) get the shafts spined as it will really show up in that scenario...especially DGR300.

I did not consider the feel of either iron to be a game changer.    When you play forged blades and go to anything else, feel decreases.  It is what it is.  At times you can feel that forged softness in the MP53 short irons but it diminishes some in the longer irons as you would expect with more mass.  The R9TP feel is consistent through the whole set and is sort of muted when compared to the R7TP, Tour Preferred, etc.  Feels solid, but definitely has more thud than the MP53.  In a net, they feel dead and they are not.  Make sure you hit the R9TP outside so you are not deceived by the muted impact.

Anyway...good luck with it and let us know what you come up with!

Edited by wedge1, 14 January 2011 - 09:53 AM.

#33 gvogel

gvogel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

View Post2659edward, on 11 January 2011 - 08:48 PM, said:

I have owned both sets w/ Nippon Pro 950GH. I am over 50 now and had played DG S300 for 30 yrs. The Nippon is so much smoother than the S300. I bought a set of R9 TP's with the Nippons last year and really liked them. Very forgiving and I thought for a long time before I replaced them with the MP-53's. As someone has said I think the R9 TP's are the most forgiving of the two. But, that is really spliting hairs. The Mizzy's have a nice leading edge grind that keep them from digging. Right now I am very happy with switch to Mizzy. Now if the Forged MC's are any good I will be back to an all TM bag.

Hit them both and use the Mizuno shaft optimizer.  

Good Luck.

Interesting observation about the Nippon shafts.

Here would be something to consider:
Keep the long irons in the AP1's, and pick up mid and short irons in the AP2's with the same stock Nippon shafts that come in the AP1's.  The AP2's should bring the ball flight down in the mid and short irons, and there is nothing wrong with being able to hit towering long irons, especially since the AP1's also have hotter faces.
On Sundays, I play hickory

#34 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

I don't know what it is but i've never been so in love with a set of irons before - I suggest them on every thread.  I purchased Nike Pro Combos and I've yet to swing them knowing I'll be gaming AP2s again next year.  
Pretty confident I'm about to order a backup set today - It is becoming a cult as a few members feel the same way.

I golf with the OP regularly and I think his next logical step from AP1s are AP2s, nothing against the other irons but I don't think they are overall as good.  The R9TPs were a flop compared to the R7s - Feel was terrible, way too big for TP irons.  The 53s are nice but the back of the club is ugly and lacks that sweet mizzy feeling due to the undercut cavity.

The initial post saying AP2s was a joke............. but the other 2 irons suck.

#35 3put

3put

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65695
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

You just stated another perfect example of how one's opinion can differ from the other.

IMO, both the R9TP's and the MP53's are great irons for the right player.

#36 ColinMB

ColinMB

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20447
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

I know George... every chance you get, you flog those AP2's. What happened to "Nike VR Blade" George. I liked that George. We all did. ;)

Seriously though the one thing I just really don't understand about the AP2 fascination is the so called 'feel'. It just isn' t there. I have to think it's a sound thing with you. The AP 2's I know have a welded hosle and a black rubber band aid in them (absorbing FEEL)....  I can't take anything against your love of that iron. It's just that one point I don't understand.  

Though I definitely agree with George about the feel of the R9TP. It was a huge turn off for "me". I don't like to get too personal in my suggestions for other people because at the end of the day, you're the guy who's gotta hit the damn thing (and pay for it)!

However, I woudl point out that every pro that *I know* who was issued that iron, does not have anything like the club you're swinging. They are playing what I call... a phony forging... it's 8620 steel that is still cast but softer... think of Vokey Wedges.  These R9TP's issued to friends... if you actually ignore the badging on the head, I swear you'd never guess it's an R9TP.... totally different cut, design, and next to -zero- offset.

That tells me a lot about the way they designed that club. Mizuno heads are great... retail. And you're not going to get something 'totally' different from what you see on tour.

I hate being negative about a product, but I did really like the R9TP otherwise. The numbers I was getting was great, but those foam filled heads? I just couldn't tell nearly as well where the ball was coming off the head with those, that started to bug me the more I tested them.

But again, I have single digit handicap buddies that play huge, light cast clubs (the total opposite of what I like) and can't get enough of it.

#37 DeadlyShortGame

DeadlyShortGame

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101611
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

+1 on that.  There is absolutely NO comparison in terms of "feel"   The Mizzys are so much better for a "classic" feel.  AP2s feel ok, but different.  Mizzys are the most accurate irons I have ever used too.

#38 EBE-GOLFIN

EBE-GOLFIN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107137
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

Wedge1 & any other sweeper vrs digger expert.  

I am in the market for a new set of irons this year (month).  I have become more of a trapper of the ball (steeper) especially with the short and mid irons (SW - 7) . In my early golf days I was a sweeper/picker.  I have become a much better iron striker now that I trap the ball.

Anyway I have been playing the Adam's A4 for a couple of seasons now. I did a short stint with the Taylor Made R9 "B"s.  I could not trap the ball as consistently with the B head even tho I had them lie boarded. Too often the sole would get stuck and I would not cleanly strike the ball... mostly the heal of the sole would grab.  I contemplated playing with adjusting the lie more but I also realized I missed the forge feel.  So I just dumped the R9's (Ebay).

So my question is - am I more suited to a C grind like sole of the A4's?? Does a C grind prevent over digging verse a narrow sole. Same question is on wedges - do I need more bounce?? Did the sole of the "B" head have too much of a sharp leading edge??  it is a THIN sole also.

I also read in another thread that some shafts are better than others if you are a digger?? They said  a Project X shafet was much better for a digger????

I am ready to pull the trigger on Mizuno MP53's but will that sole grind repeat what happen with the R9 - B's ???

I know I should and will demo again but on turf this time. Any opinion thos??  

#39 JB lefty

JB lefty

JB

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119043
  • Ebay ID:cashdupjb
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Thats a great review and I an sure it is what the op was after. I am seriously looking at a set of muzzies as back up and the 53 sound like the ideal choice. :D
Optiforce 440 Matrix Black 7M3 X flex
X2Hot 5 wood with stock shaft (cannon)
Apex Pro 4-AW KBS Tour V X flex SS1
Callaway Jaws Wedges 56,60
One spot available any ideas?
Odyssey DF550 blade putter/ Pro v 1 ball

#40 9ironiscash

9ironiscash

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83636

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Yes, wedges response is exactly what I was after.  With many ppl opting for either iron (although more in favor of mizzy), I am more and more inclined to simply pay the money and get a formal fitting done.  I had hoped I could get away with stock stuff but obviously too many variables.  I may simply let the fitter know I am quite interested in these two heads and just get the shaft that works best and gives me the best numbers.  Swing is rusty now as it's all snow here, so I was a bit worried about being too inconsistent with my striking that a fitting would be useless ( also need to drive a ways to get it done), but it appears definitely worth it if I'm spending the money and hope to keep these irons for years.  Thanks again for all the great feedback!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 sneakyshort2

sneakyshort2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107100
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:02 AM

:russian_roulette: KGeorge: You think the 53's are ugly but the AP2's look good? Glad you like them but for me they one of the worst irons I have ever owed or played. IMO the 53's are a better iron in every aspect. But I do agree with you on the R9TPs.
IMO the 53's are more forgiving and longer than the TPs with a lot more feel and feedback.

Edited by sneakyshort2, 20 January 2011 - 01:29 AM.

#42 dannyboy123

dannyboy123

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98981
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Currently looking at the same irons r9tp and mp53's. I tried both and thought that I prefer the tp's by a mile(tp had kbs stiff and mp53 had s300). Then I went somewhere else and got fitted for my shaft on the mizuno dna swing fit. The shaft it recommended was a kbs stiff with a soft step (ss of 82-84mph with 90% effort). After it was fitted to the mp53 I much prefer the feel of the 53 ovewr the tp, the club just felt way better and very workable.
I have a question for people who have hit both, Is the r9tp a longer club in terms of distance? It seems to be to me but I much prefer the feel of the mizzy

#43 DeadlyShortGame

DeadlyShortGame

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

I will express MY OPINION (and not to start a war).....

I have never hit the R9's, but I can't even stand to look at them so that's probably why.  Not sure you can compare a Japanese forging to a piece of cast Chinese junk IMO.  Not a Mizuno fanboy by any means, but despise TM both for their quality and product turnover.  

In my opinion, you are comparing a BMW (MP53) to a Yugo (R9).  MP53 is better looking, better feeling and more accurate.

End rant.....:partytime2:

#44 3put

3put

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65695
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

I finally had a chance to demo the R9TP's against the MP53's and I came away with a totally different opinion than I would have imagined.

The 53's definitely feel better on well struck swings, but the TP's were pretty decent. They were longer, more forgiving, just as workable and they felt pretty good. If the "muted and no feel" that others complained about is what I experienced, then I don't have a problem with it at all. They felt similar to the feel of the i15's I had, and they were great.

I would chose the TP's over the 53's based on being more forgiving, longer and just as workable.

#45 9ironiscash

9ironiscash

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

So, I finally got hold of a mizzy fitting cart and  got to demo different shafts in the MP53.  Hit the Dynalite s300 and the Nippon stiff SIGNIFICANTLY better than the KBS, and better than the stock R9 TPs with the KBS (what I was contemplating getting to begin with)  Difference was night and day, with my misses being a slice with the KBS but straightened out and longer with both of these shafts.  Definitely leaning towards getting some 53s with  one of these in them.  

Anyone have any experience with either of these shafts, especially with the 53 head?  I dont want something that will balloon as I learn to swing better and make more solid contact.  Dynalite felt lighter but also more whippy, and was about 5 yards longer than the Nippons.  Having played Nippon Regs in my last set, these would be an easy transition, but the dynalites felt great as well.  Noticed an increase in clubhead speed immediately.  

Thanks again for all the responses so far guys , really helped.

#46 upndown09

upndown09

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77689
  • Ebay ID:upndown2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

I switched from an r9 tp from my mp 29's for about 2 months. The r9 are extremely easy to hit but I felt that there was too much bounce with them. I had to tee the ball up so high with them also. I ended up switching back to my mizunos and am not looking back. The new mizuno line looks fantastic IMO.

#47 sneakyshort2

sneakyshort2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107100
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:48 AM

View Post9ironiscash, on 21 January 2011 - 08:43 PM, said:

So, I finally got hold of a mizzy fitting cart and  got to demo different shafts in the MP53.  Hit the Dynalite s300 and the Nippon stiff SIGNIFICANTLY better than the KBS, and better than the stock R9 TPs with the KBS (what I was contemplating getting to begin with)  Difference was night and day, with my misses being a slice with the KBS but straightened out and longer with both of these shafts.  Definitely leaning towards getting some 53s with  one of these in them.  

Anyone have any experience with either of these shafts, especially with the 53 head?  I dont want something that will balloon as I learn to swing better and make more solid contact.  Dynalite felt lighter but also more whippy, and was about 5 yards longer than the Nippons.  Having played Nippon Regs in my last set, these would be an easy transition, but the dynalites felt great as well.  Noticed an increase in clubhead speed immediately.  

Thanks again for all the responses so far guys , really helped.

:miz:  I have the 53's with the Dynalite Gold XP S-300 and the combo works very well for me. The XP S-300 has a nice launch with low spin and is 117grams where the Nippon is around 100 grams. The nippons are good shafts but I find them to too light and soft for my swing. I doubt that you will grow out of the XPs anytime soon, I'm a 5 handicap with around 100mph driver swing speed.
  Did you use the Mizuno shaft Optimizer to come up with those shafts?  
  Good luck and I hope this helps.

Edited by sneakyshort2, 27 January 2011 - 01:45 AM.

#48 The_X_Factor22

The_X_Factor22

LET THE BIG DOG EAT!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116107
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

This is a tough decision. Both have there pluses. I really can't say which is better because they are both great clubs and are used for different players.  The r9s feel hotter off the face and will give you some more distance as well as more forgiveness. If you can get your hands on a set of r9 tp c's definately do that over the retail ones though. I also prefer the KBS shafts over DG's too, always have. They just fit my swing better and feel better to me. The plus side of the mizzy's is they look like more of a players iron so if you get your index down you will prlly like to look down at those more than the r9's. They also are softer because of them being forged and are easier to work in my opinion. With the shafts, you might get a little higher ball flight w/ the KBS's, but if your using regular shafts I don't think your ss is high enough for them to balloon on you like your worried about. Also, if your in between reg and stiff, soft step a set of KBS stiffs. The mizzy's will give a little lower ball flight than the r9 tps so if you wanted to throw in a set of KBS stiffs soft stepped into a set of the 53's I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

#49 Rustynuts

Rustynuts

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113807
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

When I had r9 TP's they struck me more as a game improvement club than a "TP" club. Very easy to hit, not a lot of feel, went stupidly long (the long irons felt like hybrids), and with the KBS shaft just went way to high. I only lasted a couple of weeks with them when every wedge shot would fly 20 yards too far.

#50 9ironiscash

9ironiscash

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Ive pretty much ruled out the TPs, as I definitely want to go to more of a players forged iron.  Have it narrowed down the MP53 and the AP2 710;  any advice re: forgiveness, distance, workability (when i do that more lol), and feel?  Thanks guys.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 DeadlyShortGame

DeadlyShortGame

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

View Post9ironiscash, on 26 January 2011 - 07:20 PM, said:

Ive pretty much ruled out the TPs, as I definitely want to go to more of a players forged iron.  Have it narrowed down the MP53 and the AP2 710;  any advice re: forgiveness, distance, workability (when i do that more lol), and feel?  Thanks guys.

I vote for the "real" golf club of the two, MP53s.  Forgiving, workable, and Mizuno.

#52 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

View Postshortgamehero, on 26 January 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

View Post9ironiscash, on 26 January 2011 - 07:20 PM, said:

I vote for the "real" golf club of the two, MP53s.  Forgiving, workable, and Mizuno.

I guess the most played irons on tour aren't real!!!!!!

How's the 68s going? They look so good and easy to hit for blades - good luck with them.

#53 ceasterb

ceasterb

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103497
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

View Postidriveahonda, on 14 January 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

With my r9 TP's w/ KBS stiffs I have issues with flyers all around the golf course.  My ss with a 6-iron is 98mph, and the r9 flat out takes off.

I'm two clubs longer with the r9 TP than an other club I have hit, but to me that bwasnt what I wanted.  I switched back to my 690.MB's for the consistent distances.

The r9 TP is a great feeling club and would be great for a lower ss or smoother tempo golfer...it will launch high and be long.  Really a great club.

I can't stand Mizuno irons, as I have owned three different sets and they all felt just terrible (MP60 being the only standout).

To each his own.  Funny you should mention the MP60's, I've had 3 sets of mizunos as well MX23's then MP60 and most recently MP52's. I love Mizuno, but liked the MP60's the least.  Oh well . . .:beruo:
Callaway Xhot2 9.5* stiff
Adams Speedline 3 wood
Cobra AMP hybrid, Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 4i
Titleist 712 MBs 5-PW w/ SM4 wedges
Kari Lajosi DD201 Damascus w/black oxide
Titleist SM4 56* & 60*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors