Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

anxiety / panic disorder

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 golf1010

golf1010

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19314
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

just curious to know if this effects anybody in here. since its a golf site wondering how many are affected and what you did about it?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 storm

storm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119817
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

i cant really help you golf wise but my girlfriend has anxiety.  She feels a tension in her chest so bad she ends up curling up in a ball crying and theres nothing anyone can really due.  Cause is unknown for the most part, sometimes happens when over stressed or over worked, other times just out of no where.  You can take meds for it but most I am told are extremely addictive.
Driver - 2017 M2 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
Fairway - Callaway Optiforce 15* w/ PXv 6.0
Irons - Cobra S3 Pro w/ X100
Wedges - Titleist Vokey 48/54/58
Putter - Odyssey O-Works R-Line

#3 mattyspop

mattyspop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2951
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

View Postgolf1010, on 01 January 2011 - 09:26 AM, said:

just curious to know if this effects anybody in here. since its a golf site wondering how many are affected and what you did about it?

My daughter gets anxiety attacks from time to time. Never leaves home without her Ativan.

#4 WilsonWill

WilsonWill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77940
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

Quite a few people suffer from some form of anxiety (well, honestly, everyone suffers anxiety) but some are more seriously affected by it than others.  I'm not a huge advocate of drugs for such as in most cases learned coping skills or other behavioral modifications can solve or at least lessen the emotional impact and any impairment said anxiety has on the persons everyday life.

#5 leftyboomboom

leftyboomboom

Ping King

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135224
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

I suffer from both anxiety and panic disorder, I was told I had it when coming back over (iraq and afganistan vet).  You spent a lot of time by your self and watch peolpe you care for get hurt.  That changes the wiring in the brain.  I hope yours is not this bad.
But what has worked for me is one on one and group counciling as well as meds.  I was fearful of the meds, but there good, you are not all zoned out of life or tired anything like that, they just help you live, which is truly the great theapry, confidence breads confidence.  See a doctor you will not be sorry

#6 The Grifter

The Grifter

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132198
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

I was at a point where I couldnít stand in bank lines, grocery store lines, had trouble driving, things like that. I finally after a few months went to a doctor and after trying a couple of different prescriptions, settled on Paxil. Changed my life for the better. I was hesitant to go on any type of medication but then finally thought, it canít be any worse than how Iím feeling now. As lefty said, get yourself to a doctor, give medication a chance to work and dont be afraid to try others if you feel after a couple of weeks itís not working.

Good luck.

#7 ej002

ej002

Hall of Fame

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27552
GolfWRX Likes : 942

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

Work out more, if you dont already.

#8 Breaker999

Breaker999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30417
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Old thread but I'll have some input.  Anxiety/panic is usually a symptom of depression.  I experienced anxiety issues during college years triggered by family circumstances.  I tried a bunch of antidepressants such as Prozac, Paxil, Lexapro, etc.  I did not like those but they helped somewhat.  I also took tranquilizers (Xanax, Lorazapam/Ativan) occasionally for panic situations.  Tranquilizers are really effective at the moment, but they are controlled substances and can be addictive and damage the body over time.
I no longer use pharmaceuticals.  I take a natural alternative, St Johns Wort along with a multivitamin and omega3.  It's important to eat healthy and exercise.  Therapy is also recommended, but I myself will not revert to Rx.

#9 Nspiel58

Nspiel58

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52767
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

I like your advise Breaker, especially going the natural route.  Regarding the "depression" moniker, I think depression should be replaced with grief, since it likely applies in most peoples' situations.  Based on my own experience as a parent losing a child and ongoing challenges meeting the needs of a severely handicapped 10 year old daughter, the loss of our previous family life, etc., my wife and I have concluded that we will always be "grieving".  Some days are good.  Some are bad.  You've got to learn when you need quiet time, when energy loss is kept at a minimum and when you can be more active.  It's all about energy gained and lost.  I think too many people don't understand what grief is.  We try to avoid, suppress it or medicate it, but it comes out sooner or later in its varied forms.  I certainly don't have a "formula" for treating sadness, loss, any kind of traumatic experience, but the best thing for me is to try to find the truth behind what is causing the issue.  In our case, our daughter will never come back.  Her twin sister will never be normal.  Oh so sad.  But, we just try to do our best to live our lives as healthfully as possible.  I am so fortunate to have an amazing wife.  Without her support and paitence, I can imagine where I'd be now.

#10 Jbird33

Jbird33

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154081
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Probably a little deeper, darker than the OP wanted to go, but NSpiel and others, I hope it helps you to know that others that you don't know are thinking of you, and wanting you to be healthy.  Grief takes many forms some foreign to us, some not, and I'm sure you have heard it but time does make it better.  One day at a time and some day you will be alive again.  My son should be celebrating his 10th birthday in February, but he won't, at least not on this earth.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 hebron1427

hebron1427

Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

This is very sad and has stayed with me. I thought I had something to be sad about when my son got a provisional autism diagnosis in Feb at 18mos of age. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose him entirely. please know that my thoughts are with you both for whatever tragedy you experienced. My son nearly died at birth and I felt a glimpse of that trauma, then thought all was well before his diagnosis. How quickly life goes sour. If prayer helps you, you are in my prayers as well. There is no magic potion to make the grief go away. You find out what you're made of and determine to live through it and give thanks for what you have. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. My vest wishes to you both.

#12 nacho

nacho

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185164
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

I have anxiety and am currently on a pill to lesson the effects it's hard but not to much to handle

#13 Woodrow

Woodrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128074
  • Ebay ID:billw3462
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

All my life. 3 hospital stays, and 2 sets of ECTs. A good point raised is the connection to depression. If anxious depression sets in. If depressed a person will become anxious. Some of the older antidepressants work extremely well but are full of side effects.

1. Find a therapist, and doctor who you really make a connection with. Trust is huge in this affliction.
2. Understand certain situations will make your anxiety or depression worse.
3. Anxiety and panic attacks are self limiting. Meaning they can only get as bad as adrenalin allows.

Antidepressants are extremely good in treatment for panic attacks. When a medication works you'll know right away. If not you and your doctor  can move along to something else. Don't settle for that "sort of feeling good", modern therapies are very, very effective with some patience.

#14 halcyan

halcyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374921
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

View PostWoodrow, on 12 July 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

All my life. 3 hospital stays, and 2 sets of ECTs. A good point raised is the connection to depression. If anxious depression sets in. If depressed a person will become anxious. Some of the older antidepressants work extremely well but are full of side effects.

1. Find a therapist, and doctor who you really make a connection with. Trust is huge in this affliction.
2. Understand certain situations will make your anxiety or depression worse.
3. Anxiety and panic attacks are self limiting. Meaning they can only get as bad as adrenalin allows.

Antidepressants are extremely good in treatment for panic attacks. When a medication works you'll know right away. If not you and your doctor  can move along to something else. Don't settle for that "sort of feeling good", modern therapies are very, very effective with some patience.

I agree with everything you said.

Edited by halcyan, 01 April 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#15 halcyan

halcyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374921
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:17 PM

View Postgolf1010, on 01 January 2011 - 09:26 AM, said:

Also, I agree that physical labor and exercise really help.

Edited by halcyan, 01 April 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#16 Golf Symantics22

Golf Symantics22

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 347101
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:22 PM

In all honesty, there is a good reason I smoke so much of a certain substance. Struggled with anxiety my whole life. It comes at odd times, usually out of nowhere. I competed at a state level for public speaking and do sales oriented activities without trouble. I'm not into pills myself but have used them on a very limited basis.(Except a heavy concoction for allergies). Never really be depressed even in some tough times.

My advice as it pertains to golf (if that makes anyone anxious)... If you are into it or want to give it a try, get a medical card and try playing while very slightly stoned. Just remember pace of play (I had a 6.5 hour round with the course to myself...)

#17 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173716
GolfWRX Likes : 9081

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:36 AM

Never bothered me, however my wife had anxiety disorder a while ago. Doctors just wanted to fill her full of pills so she could not function. In the end she went cold turkey, very hard road but it worked

I cannot imagine how it would affect golf.
Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

#18 Barfolomew

Barfolomew

#worstWRXer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379468
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

Regular meditation and regular exercise are powerful tools....
M2
M2 HL
XR 4 Hybrid
Kuros
Cleveland Lobs
SeeMore Butts

#19 Kapp

Kapp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479220
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

Agree with several on here. Would suggest consulting a professional. I used to suffer from anxiety and had a couple panic attacks, but this was during a stressful time. I began to exercise regularly and it helped. I also practiced the belief that anxiety and panic attacks can pass.
Ping G400
TM SLDR 3 HL
TM Rocketball 5W
Ping G400 4-PW
Vokey SM6 50*,54*,58*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

#20 rmattgolden

rmattgolden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480078
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

Golf and mental health have been a huge part of my story the last couple of years.

I've played golf my whole life and remember as a junior golfer really getting worked up over tournament days (sick every single time, couldn't function). i spent about 15 years just dealing with what I thought was just nerves in golf and everyday life until about a year ago.

Going through a rough patch mentally a couple years led me & a therapist to really explore what was going on. I had been living with an unnatural amount of anxiety & really got better with the combination of the following: someone to talk to, the right medication, & something to work towards.

Getting back into golf seriously became something to get me outside & give me some goals to strive for. Golf went from something that used to cause anxiety and panic to something that is helping me recover from those very things. I worked to return back to tournament golf this year and qualified for my state Mid-am on the first try, and a I can't wait to see whats next.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 rangersgoalie

rangersgoalie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290733
GolfWRX Likes : 2009

Posted Today, 01:56 AM

To the point of my panic/anxiety, I'm sorry, but didn't read a lot, as sometimes it can trigger me.
Personally, I started having panic attacks/anxiety issues in 1991, when I was playing the (then) Hogan Tour.
Made a number of ER visits, and developed a sleep disorder that I fight to this day.
I played the PGA Tour 1992- on dealing with it.  I was working with Dr David Wright, at the time a new to the scene sports psychologist that I cannot tell you enough how blessed I am to have met.
David HAs two PhDs and though he was fully in to golf performance by then, he had a big time private practice background previously.  I was looking for golf help, but luckily my meltdown started when I met him.

I did not want to use meds back then, and Dr Wright taught me breathing, how to re route my thoughts, and some diligent relaxation techniques.  Travel was difficult, especially after being home for decent amounts of time, but one of the greatest lessons I learned, was to face any fears head on.  Traveling was one of them, and my flights were always stressful, but nothing like my first night or two in my hotels.   a lot of sleepless nights with fast racing thoughts, usually on "what if" scenarios my brain would create to terrify myself.  My wife, who was always there for me, in any 3 am call, was amazingly patient and positive.  
I played my entire career fighting these invisible battles.  I developed migraines, largely due to the stresses related to not sleeping, and finally quit playing in 2001.

Interestingly, I was always at my best on the course, at my worst alone in hotels.  I was taught to face my fears and thoughts, and honestly, get angry at the anxiety, challenging it to "go ahead, do your worst". The more I challenged it, the better I got on top of it.  
These days, my anxiety is a 3-4 out of ten.  When I was playing the tour, it was a 7+++ almost all the time.  I have better skills mentally, and to this day, I can feel my heart race, and the panic starting.  I usually start breathing slowly diagphramatically and effectively slow all my movements.

These days, I do have medication available, and use it as needed.  I'm not a fan, but having it as a security blanket, more often than not backs up my challenge to the anxiety.  But if I need it, I use it.  My stress levels now are actually real world related, more than anxiety created.  My wife is still patient with the random middle of the night freak out, but I'm pretty happy with the battle I've fought.  It IS exhausting occasionally, but I view it as competition, and when I beat it back, it's a win.

My little window!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors