Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Shortening a Driver Shaft

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Donly

Donly

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114615
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:58 AM

What is involved in shortening a graphite shaft ?

Do you cut from the tip end or the butt end ? Does it chapter completely the dynamics of the driver? (Swingweight, etc)  Or would it be easier to just buy another shaft?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 funkyfedora

funkyfedora

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59076
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

If you are trimming for length, trim from the butt. Tip trimming (tipping) makes the shaft play stiffer. Tape it with masking tape. Cut with a hacksaw blade made to cut graphite. For every 1/2 inch cut off, that is 3 swingweight points.

#3 Donly

Donly

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:34 AM

The driver is 46in long. The swingweight is d4. I do not know a lot about swing weights. If i cut off both ends would that keep it closer to the same except a little stiffer ? or should I just purchase another shaft one inch shorter?

Edited by Donly, 18 December 2010 - 09:02 AM.

#4 heffe78

heffe78

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4786
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

First question would be what are you trying to achieve (depending on that you may have to get a new shaft) and how much you looking to chop? If you want to lop off a half inch to shorten it a bit for control or feel then just chop away and smack some lead tape on the head to get the swighweight back (assuming you want it back to D4). If you looking to bring down the ball flight or stiffen it up then you should pull the head, tip it a bit and away you go.But if you're trying to achieve something else like control, feel, dispersion, more weight, lighter weight etc, then you may want to look at a new shaft.

#5 heffe78

heffe78

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

If you're going to shorten by an inch you will not only have a swing eight issue but also a static weight issue. You could do the "Tiger" and throw some lead tape on the shaft at both ends but you may want to look at another shaft that is heavier. Chances are that if you're at 46 then the shaft is likely 55-60grms, maybe less. To keep things the same weights you probably have to look at something 65-75grms.

#6 Donly

Donly

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

It is 60g. It is a matrix hd6 stiff. I tend to hit high with a draw on good shots. Control and height  is my issue. My swingspeed is only 100-105.

With regard to the tape. How would I know what is needed on each end? An d where does one find that sort of tape?

#7 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

Stiff HD6 should be 66g. Lead tape is available just about everywhere - most pro shops and stores will probably have it. Sometimes it comes in pre-cut strips of 1g. To restore 1 swingweight point, you need 2g of lead tape in the head. If you're cutting down the D4 driver by 1/2", it's new swingweight will be D1. You'll therefore need 6g of tape to get it back to original. Depending on the thickness of the tape, this can be a large amount from an aesthetic perspective.
The HD6 is a good shaft, but depending on your swingspeed and how you load the shaft, it could be a bit weak for you. It's recommended range is 97-102 mph, therefore you could be a little over.  High draws usually indicate a more flexible shaft. If you want to bring the ballflight down, consider tipping the shaft you already have, or go for something with a stronger flex. Like the HD6 strong for example.

Edited by jaskanski, 18 December 2010 - 09:53 AM.

#8 wmhipple

wmhipple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119087
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

the other thing to note is that when a shaft is shortened from the butt end it gets stiffer.

#9 Donly

Donly

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

I could not deal with looking at all that tape. Sounds like tipping it is my best option, other than buying anew.  How much tip removal without having lead tape? BTW, Hit the new 910d3 with the rip 70 stiff well.  lower ball flight and more control.  Trying to salvage this driver rather than dropping 375$ and having the same issues down the road.

#10 heffe78

heffe78

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

Start with tipping, worst case scenario is that you'll end up with a three wood shaft. Find a quality club fitter /builder in you area and have him do the tipping work

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 TLT_Dan

TLT_Dan

TLT_DAN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43988
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

View PostDonly, on 18 December 2010 - 08:34 AM, said:

The driver is 46in long. The swingweight is d4. I do not know a lot about swing weights. If i cut off both ends would that keep it closer to the same except a little stiffer ? or should I just purchase another shaft one inch shorter?

By far the cheapest experiment is to cut an inch from the butt (yes it will be stiffer and the swing weight will drop to near a C8).
If the swing weight number is important to you the try a Winn Lite (26g) , and you will be right back near where you started.

Or usa a regular grip and add 12g's of headweight, your flex will return to it's original state with the same D4..

#12 Stro

Stro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103562
  • Ebay ID:stro77
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I was thinking about cutting down a shaft so that my driver is somewhere in the 44.5 range.  Based on my research, it will play stiffer without any additional weight added to the head, but once I add back weight to get the proper swingweight, the shaft will play weaker.  According to that theory, should I start with a stiffer shaft prior to cutting it down and adding weight?  For instance, if my normal driver shaft is stiff, should I buy an X flex prior to cutting it down and adding weight?  Let's say I am cutting off an inch or an inch and a quarter.  Or will that just result in too drastic of a change in the shaft properties?

As an alternative, if you start off with an uncut shaft and wanted a standard stiff shaft that was at a 44.5 inch total driver length, what does a club builder do?  Do they cut some off of each end or are some shafts just made shorter?

Sorry if these questions are dumb, but I've been an off the rack guy forever and was thinking about making some changes, as my entire bag is pretty solid and I'm tired of playing in the woods.  In the old days of shorter drivers, I did not have near the problems I've had the last couple of years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors