Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What's up with the scorecard playoff?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jportz

jportz

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11218
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

If 2 players tie and they go to a scorecard playoff why does the player with the better back 9 win?  What makes the back 9 more important than the front 9?

Scorecard playoffs should be banished...a tie is a tie....they should go out and play for the outcome.  That's the only way to be fair.

Somebody please explain this to me because I lost a qualifying spot in a tournament because the guy shot 40 / 36 and I shot 38 / 38.....

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 nikemike

nikemike

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7181
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:35 AM

I agree, it sucks.  We came in 2nd at a tourney b/c of a scorecard playoff.  We wanted to play sudden death for the win but they didn't agree.  We took our trophies and t-shirts (and a free case of beer) and left!

#3 tanj

tanj

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1397
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

I think you are referring to a 'countback' whihc is what we call it here in Australia. I know how your feeling. Everytime I seem to shot a good score, I always get beaten on countabck. However, I do see the logic and practicality of a countback.

Number one, it is usually too difficult to organise a playoff in club competitions because there are morning and afternoon fields playing in the same competitions.

Number two, the person with the better back nine wins befcause it is assumed that if it were to go to a sudden-death playoff, the person with the better back nine would be playing better because he/she would conitnue the form at the end of regulation play.

Josh

#4 Siwash23

Siwash23

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4332
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:40 PM

Sometimes playoffs are not possible or practical. . . . but I do agree that scorecard playoffs suck!!!  I have seen them where they randomly pick a hole (not necessarily 18) to start on and go forward from there, and I do not like those either.  I would rather see a tie than some arbitrary method like a scorecard playoff.

#5 taylormadefan

taylormadefan

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2881
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:43 PM

View PostSiwash23, on Jul 21 2006, 04:40 PM, said:

Sometimes playoffs are not possible or practical. . . . but I do agree that scorecard playoffs suck!!!  I have seen them where they randomly pick a hole (not necessarily 18) to start on and go forward from there, and I do not like those either.  I would rather see a tie than some arbitrary method like a scorecard playoff.

How about just flip a coin?  That seems more fair.  ;)

Sorry you had to go through this portz, but at least you put yourself in that situation!   :drinks:

Edited by taylormadefan, 21 July 2006 - 04:43 PM.

#6 Road Warrior

Road Warrior

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16380
  • Ebay ID:hkhk

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:50 PM

Whenever I have dealt with scorecard playoffs, they involve going hole by hole back from 18, where the player with the first better hole wins.  Never ever have I ever seen a competition take back nine vs. back nine.

#7 jportz

jportz

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:59 PM

First they went with the 18th hole score, then they went with the total of the 16th - 18th hole, then they went with the back 9 score.

I made double bogie on the 11th hole (tee shot OB) and played even par the rest of the way in but the other guy made a bogie on 11 and a birdie on 13 to shoot even on the back.

We both shot the same score, I'm just trying to figure out how they figure his 76 was better than my 76???

I would have preferred they flip a coin....at least then I'd have a fair chance.

I don't see what's so hard about a sudden death playoff.  You tell em which tee to show up on and go for it.  Then nobody can say it wasn't fair.

Oh well....I'm the first alternate....maybe I'll still get a spot in the Championship.

#8 ScottWS33

ScottWS33

Up and down for par

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2704
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:18 AM

Well count backs are my least favourite thing just now. We had our 5 day Open this week and I was balloted out of the matchplay on countback on the back 9. Okay so I played awful and have to accept it but after shooting the same score as guys who qualified - one got to the final! - it seems a bit unfair. I have seen a lot of clubs use playoffs and I believe it's the best system.
Callaway FT-9 Tour w/ Fubuki 63 Stiff
Titleist 909F2 15.5 w/ Voodoo SVS7
Titleist 909H 19 w/ Voodoo SVS8
Titleist AP2 4-9 w/ XPS 105 S300
Scotty Cameron GoLo S 34"
Vokey SM4 46, 52, 56, 60

#9 Gallery_mjtoal_*

Gallery_mjtoal_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:10 AM

It is not meant to be a way of finding who played best. It is essentially a glorified coin toss, which has the slight advantage of being explicit - everybody knows how it works.

Arbitrary, but fair in a strange sort of way.

#10 dan360

dan360

got wedge-chi?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 735

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

Our scorecard playoffs are settled by starting at the #1 hdcp hole and going backwards to #18....

At least that way if you're beat, you know you got beat because the other player scored lower on a harder hole than you did---a little less painful than the other ways.

JPX 800 9
Super Hybrid xtd 15 / 19
i3 Blade 4-PW
MPT-10 54 / 60
B60F
L8 bag and FG Tours

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 nunee

nunee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 909
  • Handicap:14.7
  • Ebay ID:nunee
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:09 AM

View PostDL5treez, on Jul 22 2006, 05:55 AM, said:

Our scorecard playoffs are settled by starting at the #1 hdcp hole and going backwards to #18....

At least that way if you're beat, you know you got beat because the other player scored lower on a harder hole than you did---a little less painful than the other ways.

That is always the way I have heard of it being done.....
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

#12 housey

housey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13835

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:12 AM

it's the same for everybody, I win some I lose some.

#13 kfulbright

kfulbright

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9434

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

The USGA suggested method is to use the back nine score, if still tied, the last six holes, then the last three, then 18.  If still tied go to the hardest handicap holes.  Its not great but sometimes a playoff can't happen

#14 RJC59

RJC59

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15156
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:39 PM

I think it would be better if they just have a putting contest on that practice green...

seriously wtf is the point of retrogression... just let the players decide it on the golf course.

#15 emc

emc

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14918
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:38 AM

I don't mind this method because i invariably play better on the back 9!

#16 ultra45

ultra45

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10544
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:48 AM

I've always known retrogression to be the highest on the last hole wins and you start from 18 and go backwards until someone has a higher score on a hole.  I've also been to other tournaments where they start at 18 and the lowest score wins... having said that, a lot of tournaments will have a playoffs to decided the overall winner... all other ties will be determined by "countback"... it's also the easiest/quickest way to determine a picking order for prizes... doesn't mean i like it either but not much else you can do...

#17 jportz

jportz

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

I guess it's great if you're the winner of the countback but sucks if you're the loser.

I just know from experience that when I lose a countback I feel cheated but if I lose in a playoff (which I've done) I feel as if the decision was justified....I was outplayed and the other guy deserved the medal.

In a countback you feel as if it has less to do with skill and more to do with chance.

If we both shoot 1 over and he makes his bogie on the 9th hole and I make my bogie on the 10th hole he wins....?????  I'm just having a hard time understanding how his bogie was "better" than mine.

Oh well...I guess it'll never change so I might as well get over it.  Thanks for letting me &itch about it.

#18 augiep38

augiep38

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2545

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:24 PM

Our team got 2nd place due to a scorecard playoff and it was total BS.  They went back to the #1 Handicap hole.  We parred it and the other team birdied it.  i would be cool with it, but they had a woman on their team and she was teeing off from the ladies tees which gave them a 125 yard advantage on that hole.  It essentially took the dog leg out.  How is that considered fair?  All she had to do was put one in the middle at a reasonable distance.

This is why I no longer play in mixed gender tournaments that do not share the same tee grounds.

#19 GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4749

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:05 PM

View Postjportz, on Jul 21 2006, 09:19 AM, said:

If 2 players tie and they go to a scorecard playoff why does the player with the better back 9 win?  What makes the back 9 more important than the front 9?

Scorecard playoffs should be banished...a tie is a tie....they should go out and play for the outcome.  That's the only way to be fair.

Somebody please explain this to me because I lost a qualifying spot in a tournament because the guy shot 40 / 36 and I shot 38 / 38.....

The USGA recommended way of breaking ties by scorecard is to take the last 9 hole score, if those are the same you take the last 6 hole score, if those are the same last 3 holes, if those are the same the last hole, and if a winner is still undetermined, the tournament committee decides how to break the tie (but it had to determined before the tournament, and should have been stated on the rule sheet)

#20 j_wil_06

j_wil_06

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16690

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

It seems like they should go hole by hole according to handicap. (example- look at individual hole scores starting with the #1 handicap hole, then the #2, etc...)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Angenend

Angenend

Warner University Golf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8805
  • Ebay ID:722407

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:25 AM

View Postj_wil_06, on Jul 29 2006, 02:18 PM, said:

It seems like they should go hole by hole according to handicap. (example- look at individual hole scores starting with the #1 handicap hole, then the #2, etc...)

That is how they do it in a lot of the tournaments I am in. I've gotten kicked out of many top 5's that way...I've brought in the 3rd best score, and taken a playoff hole to the 11th handicap with several other guys,and ended up in 6th place!

#22 MAJYk

MAJYk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13546
  • Ebay ID:smitty64_2003

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

I got jipped $200 at our mens invite last year. i birdied the 18th to miss the playoff by a shot and due to retrogression was given 5th place money for a 3rd place score.

#23 Tyler_fitzgerald

Tyler_fitzgerald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15051

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:15 AM

With ties, at our club it use to be the highest on the last hole of play wins and you start from 18 and go backwards until someone has a higher score on a hole. Retrogression sucks, but there's not really another practical way because play-off's aren't always an option.

Also, at the begining of any tournament they should inform the players of what type of tie-breaker method they will be using so that everyone will know what to expect.

Edited by Tyler_fitzgerald, 29 August 2006 - 01:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors