Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Driver Shaving


71 replies to this topic

#1 oregongolf

oregongolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
  • Joined: 06/30/2006
  • Location:Oregon
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Was perusing ebay and saw this ebay link

Do people really do this? At the cost of durability and losing your warranty, this seems crazy, even if it did work.

I've heard of people doing this to bats, but never to clubs...

The website makes the whole thing sound sketchy.

http://www.worldshot...-p/whd-dshv.htm


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 SoCalTitleist

SoCalTitleist

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64113
  • Joined: 08/25/2008
  • Location:Lake Elsinore Southern California
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

Kind of scary to spend that much on a driver only to have it crack after a few rounds. Its no magic club that's going to get you 50yards.

#3 oregongolf

oregongolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
  • Joined: 06/30/2006
  • Location:Oregon
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

View Postwest coast duffer, on 01 December 2010 - 10:07 PM, said:

Kind of scary to spend that much on a driver only to have it crack after a few rounds. Its no magic club that's going to get you 50yards.
That's what I found so crazy... and why I wondered if any real number people actually do it.

#4 scifisicko

scifisicko

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90910
  • Joined: 08/06/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

They shaved an S2 for me. Ive just got it back. They are a nice bunch of people to deal with with great customer service, and will recommend a level of shaving commensurate with your swing speed and....personality! Ive taken the club out on the course with some buddies and we all had a whack with it comparing it to the standard S2. It produced some of the best and some of the worst drives ive ever seen. It is 25-30 yards longer when you nail it. If you slightly miss hit it, it produces shot shapes and trajectories ive never seen before. We nailed a few absolute monsters but we also sprayed them all over the place. It made the standard S2 look very pedestrian (and very forgiving). I spoke to Steve at worldshottest drivers about my experience, he suggested that as the milling machine is programmed to follow the contours of the head its more than likely to do with the 2 point swing weight change caused by shaving. Im going to chuck some lead tape on the head and have another go. Im also going to give it a go with another shaft (currently a harrison pro ti 2.5x at 46 inches). It seemed to work a little better when we swapped the shafts at the end of the round (with the Mugen on the other S2 head).






#5 oregongolf

oregongolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
  • Joined: 06/30/2006
  • Location:Oregon
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:59 AM

Hmm... I guess if there was any place that I'd find someone who has done this, WRX would be it.

I'm glad you enjoy your driver though. Did they say what kind of failure rate they have or what to expect?


#6 scifisicko

scifisicko

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90910
  • Joined: 08/06/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:18 AM

View Postjon2, on 02 December 2010 - 01:59 AM, said:

Hmm... I guess if there was any place that I'd find someone who has done this, WRX would be it.

I'm glad you enjoy your driver though. Did they say what kind of failure rate they have or what to expect?

Thanks, the few that went straight were enjoyable, the rest weren't. No, only that if you go with their guidlelines you can expect a normal life on the club. We gave it a work out, one of the guys in the group is around 120 ss so there is obviously some tolerance.

#7 MrTitleist2U

MrTitleist2U

    Tour Winner

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60780
  • Joined: 07/18/2008
  • Location:So Cal
  • Ebay ID:Mrtitleist2U
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:30 AM

I hit a G15 that was shaved (not mine) with a kai Li, and it was an absolute monster.  I was easily 30 yards longer.  Would be fun to have one of these for some 4 man scrambles.  I am curious on longevity as well.

#8 leoh923

leoh923

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71328
  • Joined: 12/25/2008
  • Location:central NC
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:18 AM

$119 to make your driver non-comforming and prone to caving in, what a deal.

#9 ballgolong

ballgolong

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101337
  • Joined: 01/04/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

You don't need to spend $119. Simply use electrical tape ti frame the face, buy a heavy duty sanding block from home depot, and have at it. It won't shave as much as milling it, but I promise you it will make a difference.

You don't need to sand  the entire face just the top center. This reduces caving risk.

Oh. And in case it was not obvious. Make sure to sand horizontally. You cant even tell that the face has been sanded. It will look normal.

Edited by ballgolong, 02 December 2010 - 01:57 PM.


#10 oregongolf

oregongolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
  • Joined: 06/30/2006
  • Location:Oregon
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

View Postleoh923, on 02 December 2010 - 07:18 AM, said:

$119 to make your driver non-comforming and prone to caving in, what a deal.
To be fair, the people interested in doing this clearly don't care about either.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 muxi87

muxi87

    muxi87

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32234
  • Joined: 06/19/2007
  • Location:Cartersville, GA
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

Was common-place on tour vans back in the late 90s and early 2000s.  Drivers from the tour vans back then wouldn't last a couple months before caving in because of it.

#12 eudubmad82

eudubmad82

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71264
  • Joined: 12/23/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

View Postmuxi87, on 02 December 2010 - 03:13 PM, said:

Was common-place on tour vans back in the late 90s and early 2000s.  Drivers from the tour vans back then wouldn't last a couple months before caving in because of it.

Almost every guy on the PGA Tour played a driver like this before the COR Testing whether they knew it or not.  VJ used to do his drivers and have them shave it in the impact zone of the face with the grain running from sole to crown.  His reasoning was first it would make the face faster and second it would help impart left & right spin on the ball.  If it were legal (like it was) and you got heads for free (like they did) why not?  Unfortunately cheating and ruining clubs you have to pay for isn't worth a yard or two.  If you need a couple yards that bad spend an hour on a launch monitor with a good fitter and gain them that way.

#13 scifisicko

scifisicko

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90910
  • Joined: 08/06/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

Gee, whats wrong with having a little fun playing for beer with your with your buddies (or at the range) hitting a driver that goes 30 yards further? I bought a used S2 for $150 and had it shaved for $120..$270 all up...so what if it busts (it hasnt so far)? Its not cheating if everyone knows and has the option to hit it (the face is now smooth and sliver as opposed to the grooved black face on the standard) and i dont use it in comps. C'mon guys its nearly Christmas, live and let live!

#14 eudubmad82

eudubmad82

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71264
  • Joined: 12/23/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

View Postscifisicko, on 06 December 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

Gee, whats wrong with having a little fun playing for beer with your with your buddies (or at the range) hitting a driver that goes 30 yards further? I bought a used S2 for $150 and had it shaved for $120..$270 all up...so what if it busts (it hasnt so far)? Its not cheating if everyone knows and has the option to hit it (the face is now smooth and sliver as opposed to the grooved black face on the standard) and i dont use it in comps. C'mon guys its nearly Christmas, live and let live!

You're not going to get an extra 30 out of it and if everyone is using the same club what's the difference whether it's shaved or not?  I don't think anyone has a problem with it but as they say, there's a sucker born every minute.

#15 scifisicko

scifisicko

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90910
  • Joined: 08/06/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

View Posteudubmad82, on 08 December 2010 - 01:13 PM, said:

View Postscifisicko, on 06 December 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

Gee, whats wrong with having a little fun playing for beer with your with your buddies (or at the range) hitting a driver that goes 30 yards further? I bought a used S2 for $150 and had it shaved for $120..$270 all up...so what if it busts (it hasnt so far)? Its not cheating if everyone knows and has the option to hit it (the face is now smooth and sliver as opposed to the grooved black face on the standard) and i dont use it in comps. C'mon guys its nearly Christmas, live and let live!

You're not going to get an extra 30 out of it and if everyone is using the same club what's the difference whether it's shaved or not?  I don't think anyone has a problem with it but as they say, there's a sucker born every minute.

It takes more than a block of sandpaper to shave 2 swing weights worth of metal off a driver face.

Unless you've hit something with an 8.9 COR, im not sure you have much to contribute on the length to be gained.

Rude people seem to be outnumbering the suckers in the birth stakes

http://golf.about.co.../faqs/f/cor.htm

To summarise, 1 point of COR at 100mph = 4.2 yards

8.3 shaved to 8.9 = 6 points

6 points at 110 = 27.4 yards

6 points at 120 = 30.24 yards









#16 golferlaird

golferlaird

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64154
  • Joined: 08/25/2008
  • Location:Savannah,Ga
  • Ebay ID:golferlaird
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

I believe Sammy Sosa does this. But only on his "practice" driver….

#17 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

    Jack still da man!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Joined: 01/03/2009
  • Location:NYC
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 2042

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:03 PM

holy dickens that is scary.
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#18 eudubmad82

eudubmad82

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71264
  • Joined: 12/23/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

View Postscifisicko, on 08 December 2010 - 09:10 PM, said:

View Posteudubmad82, on 08 December 2010 - 01:13 PM, said:

View Postscifisicko, on 06 December 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

Gee, whats wrong with having a little fun playing for beer with your with your buddies (or at the range) hitting a driver that goes 30 yards further? I bought a used S2 for $150 and had it shaved for $120..$270 all up...so what if it busts (it hasnt so far)? Its not cheating if everyone knows and has the option to hit it (the face is now smooth and sliver as opposed to the grooved black face on the standard) and i dont use it in comps. C'mon guys its nearly Christmas, live and let live!

You're not going to get an extra 30 out of it and if everyone is using the same club what's the difference whether it's shaved or not?  I don't think anyone has a problem with it but as they say, there's a sucker born every minute.

It takes more than a block of sandpaper to shave 2 swing weights worth of metal off a driver face.

Unless you've hit something with an 8.9 COR, im not sure you have much to contribute on the length to be gained.

Rude people seem to be outnumbering the suckers in the birth stakes

http://golf.about.co.../faqs/f/cor.htm

To summarise, 1 point of COR at 100mph = 4.2 yards

8.3 shaved to 8.9 = 6 points

6 points at 110 = 27.4 yards

6 points at 120 = 30.24 yards








Divide all of your COR numbers by 10 and you'll have a better start(hint: perfect elasticity is something with a COR of 1).  You probably won't be able to increase the COR by .06 by shaving, however, if you did you aren't talking about .01 = 1MPH.  There are a lot more variables to deal with than just saying .01 (or 1 point as you call it) equals 4.2 yards.   The max COR of a golf ball is .94 so right off the bat you are diminishing you COR return.

#19 scifisicko

scifisicko

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90910
  • Joined: 08/06/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:48 PM

<p>divide by 10....so im getting between 2.5 and 3 extra yards? 

Increasing COR from .83 to .89 increases the energy transfer from club to ball by ~8% and is deduced from the increase in ball velocity relative to the CHS

The COR of the golf ball is a red herring.

Put a dead hamster in sling shot, increase the elasticity of the band so that it leaves the sling shot 8% faster and it doesnt matter a fig what the dead hamsters COR is...it is still flying 8% faster. You just increased the COR of the sling shot by 8%. 
</p><p><br></p>

Edited by scifisicko, 14 December 2010 - 07:34 PM.


#20 GolfScrub

GolfScrub

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116901
  • Joined: 11/01/2010
  • Location:California
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

View Postgolferlaird, on 13 December 2010 - 01:57 PM, said:

I believe Sammy Sosa does this. But only on his "practice" driver….


ROFL! :cheesy:


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#21 jj9000

jj9000

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99079
  • Joined: 11/23/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 671

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

Clearly these drivers have hit puberty.

The only question I have is once you have the Edge gel lathered on the driver face, do you go with the grain or against the grain with the Gillette Mach 3?

Edited by jj9000, 15 December 2010 - 11:59 AM.


#22 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
  • Location:Euharlee, GA
GolfWRX Likes : 651

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

There was a guy here in town that worked in a friend's father's shop doing this back in the 90's. He charged $25.

I still don't want one that's been shaved. I don't want to have a non-conforming club that I'm even tempted to hit. Not to mention reduced life. And there's also the point if diminishing returns to think about. Then seeing the whole softball bat shaving and what happened with those. No thanks. I saw one bust and the pitcher get seriously injured. The batter went to jail, had a hefty fine, and was banned from 2 associations for life.

#23 bjfed

bjfed

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89860
  • Joined: 07/28/2009
  • Location:WI, USA
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

This is screaming for a pay it forward.  Anyone game?

#24 justodd

justodd

    Chief

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61311
  • Joined: 07/23/2008
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Ebay ID:vw_rocks99
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

View Postscifisicko, on 14 December 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

<p>divide by 10....so im getting between 2.5 and 3 extra yards?

Increasing COR from .83 to .89 increases the energy transfer from club to ball by ~8% and is deduced from the increase in ball velocity relative to the CHS

The COR of the golf ball is a red herring.

Put a dead hamster in sling shot, increase the elasticity of the band so that it leaves the sling shot 8% faster and it doesnt matter a fig what the dead hamsters COR is...it is still flying 8% faster. You just increased the COR of the sling shot by 8%.
</p><p><br></p>


I am fresh out of dead hamsters, for arguement sake would a gerbil work? or a small guinea pig? I do agree with you.

#25 markheardjr

markheardjr

    Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141
  • Joined: 04/21/2005
  • Location:Torrance, CA
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:tourguyd
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

View Postscifisicko, on 14 December 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

<p>divide by 10....so im getting between 2.5 and 3 extra yards? 

Increasing COR from .83 to .89 increases the energy transfer from club to ball by ~8% and is deduced from the increase in ball velocity relative to the CHS

The COR of the golf ball is a red herring.

Put a dead hamster in sling shot, increase the elasticity of the band so that it leaves the sling shot 8% faster and it doesnt matter a fig what the dead hamsters COR is...it is still flying 8% faster. You just increased the COR of the sling shot by 8%. 
</p><p><br></p>

That has to be the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time!

'07 Burner TP 8.5 w/ RUL60x
'08 Burner 14.5/17.5 w/ p9003x
Vsteel 7W 21° w/ Oban Devotion 75x
Cleveland 588MB w/ Modus 130 Proto
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 48/52/56
Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach

#26 eudubmad82

eudubmad82

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71264
  • Joined: 12/23/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

View Postjustodd, on 11 January 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

View Postscifisicko, on 14 December 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

<p>divide by 10....so im getting between 2.5 and 3 extra yards?

Increasing COR from .83 to .89 increases the energy transfer from club to ball by ~8% and is deduced from the increase in ball velocity relative to the CHS

The COR of the golf ball is a red herring.

Put a dead hamster in sling shot, increase the elasticity of the band so that it leaves the sling shot 8% faster and it doesnt matter a fig what the dead hamsters COR is...it is still flying 8% faster. You just increased the COR of the sling shot by 8%.
</p><p><br></p>


I am fresh out of dead hamsters, for arguement sake would a gerbil work? or a small guinea pig? I do agree with you.
Unfortunately he is trying to relate slinging a dead hamster to hitting a golf ball.  I don't think the same physics apply to the two.  Just another example of why a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.

Edited by eudubmad82, 12 January 2011 - 02:01 PM.


#27 domer

domer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89808
  • Joined: 07/27/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

View Posteudubmad82, on 12 January 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

View Postjustodd, on 11 January 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

View Postscifisicko, on 14 December 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

<p>divide by 10....so im getting between 2.5 and 3 extra yards?

Increasing COR from .83 to .89 increases the energy transfer from club to ball by ~8% and is deduced from the increase in ball velocity relative to the CHS

The COR of the golf ball is a red herring.

Put a dead hamster in sling shot, increase the elasticity of the band so that it leaves the sling shot 8% faster and it doesnt matter a fig what the dead hamsters COR is...it is still flying 8% faster. You just increased the COR of the sling shot by 8%.
</p><p><br></p>


I am fresh out of dead hamsters, for arguement sake would a gerbil work? or a small guinea pig? I do agree with you.
Unfortunately he is trying to relate slinging a dead hamster to hitting a golf ball.  I don't think the same physics apply to the two.  Just another example of why a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.

The same physics apply to everything.  Just sayin'.

If the COR really increases to .89 from .83 (which I'm not sure I believe), the distance gain would indeed be massive.

#28 eudubmad82

eudubmad82

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71264
  • Joined: 12/23/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

View Postdomer, on 12 January 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

View Posteudubmad82, on 12 January 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

View Postjustodd, on 11 January 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

View Postscifisicko, on 14 December 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

<p>divide by 10....so im getting between 2.5 and 3 extra yards?

Increasing COR from .83 to .89 increases the energy transfer from club to ball by ~8% and is deduced from the increase in ball velocity relative to the CHS

The COR of the golf ball is a red herring.

Put a dead hamster in sling shot, increase the elasticity of the band so that it leaves the sling shot 8% faster and it doesnt matter a fig what the dead hamsters COR is...it is still flying 8% faster. You just increased the COR of the sling shot by 8%.
</p><p><br></p>


I am fresh out of dead hamsters, for arguement sake would a gerbil work? or a small guinea pig? I do agree with you.
Unfortunately he is trying to relate slinging a dead hamster to hitting a golf ball.  I don't think the same physics apply to the two.  Just another example of why a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.

The same physics apply to everything.  Just sayin'.

If the COR really increases to .89 from .83 (which I'm not sure I believe), the distance gain would indeed be massive.
When COR on a driver increases the COR of a golf ball actually decreases creating a diminished return.  Same thing applies with increased swingspeed.  The USGA has published all of this information in case anyone cares to make an informed decision before having their driver shaved.

Edited by eudubmad82, 12 January 2011 - 04:08 PM.


#29 scifisicko

scifisicko

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90910
  • Joined: 08/06/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

View Posteudubmad82, on 12 January 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

View Postdomer, on 12 January 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

View Posteudubmad82, on 12 January 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

View Postjustodd, on 11 January 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

View Postscifisicko, on 14 December 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

<p>divide by 10....so im getting between 2.5 and 3 extra yards?

Increasing COR from .83 to .89 increases the energy transfer from club to ball by ~8% and is deduced from the increase in ball velocity relative to the CHS

The COR of the golf ball is a red herring.

Put a dead hamster in sling shot, increase the elasticity of the band so that it leaves the sling shot 8% faster and it doesnt matter a fig what the dead hamsters COR is...it is still flying 8% faster. You just increased the COR of the sling shot by 8%.
</p><p><br></p>


I am fresh out of dead hamsters, for arguement sake would a gerbil work? or a small guinea pig? I do agree with you.
Unfortunately he is trying to relate slinging a dead hamster to hitting a golf ball.  I don't think the same physics apply to the two.  Just another example of why a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.

The same physics apply to everything.  Just sayin'.

If the COR really increases to .89 from .83 (which I'm not sure I believe), the distance gain would indeed be massive.
When COR on a driver increases the COR of a golf ball actually decreases creating a diminished return.  Same thing applies with increased swingspeed.  The USGA has published all of this information in case anyone cares to make an informed decision before having their driver shaved.

Mate, look up how COR is measured. As stated above it is calculated by measuring the actual speed of the golf ball relative to the actual club head speed.


Any effects introduced by the deformation of the ball are totally irrelevant. Another way of stating this is if shaving the club head increases the ball speed by X%, what the ball is doing during the process doesnt change the fact that its speed has been increased by X%

The only part of your post that has any merit is that there is a diminishing return for distance vs ball speed, however I havent met a golfer yet that says "I dont want any more ball speed or club head speed because of the law of diminishing returns". Most golfers know that all else being equal, if you can swing the driver at 125 mph you are going to tend hit the ball significantly further than the guy swinging at 110.






#30 bill g

bill g

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101128
  • Joined: 12/31/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:52 AM

[quote name='scifisicko' timestamp='1291261356' post='2819017']
They shaved an S2 for me. Ive just got it back. They are a nice bunch of people to deal with with great customer service, and will recommend a level of shaving commensurate with your swing speed and....personality! Ive taken the club out on the course with some buddies and we all had a whack with it comparing it to the standard S2. It produced some of the best and some of the worst drives ive ever seen. It is 25-30 yards longer when you nail it. If you slightly miss hit it, it produces shot shapes and trajectories ive never seen before. We nailed a few absolute monsters but we also sprayed them all over the place. It made the standard S2 look very pedestrian (and very forgiving). I spoke to Steve at worldshottest drivers about my experience, he suggested that as the milling machine is programmed to follow the contours of the head its more than likely to do with the 2 point swing weight change caused by shaving. Im going to chuck some lead tape on the head and have another go. Im also going to give it a go with another shaft (currently a harrison pro ti 2.5x at 46 inches). It seemed to work a little better when we swapped the shafts at the end of the round (with the Mugen on the other S2 head).





did the lead tape do anything to the wierd ball flights?h


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.







2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors