Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * - - - 3 votes

Naked?

278 replies to this topic

Poll: Iron covers or not. (1043 member(s) have cast votes)

Iron covers or not?

1. Voted Yes, keep 'em warm. (190 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. No way, naked they stay!! (855 votes [81.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

Please no covers on the irons! I know some people love to justify it by saying "So what if I like to take care of my things?" but anyone I've seen with them just falls into the category of being somewhat strange and anal.  I look at them as that they are meant to get all nicked up, it gives the soft forgings character.  If at all just buy something like the Titleist 14-way stand bag; I filled it with clubs at my buddies store and walked around with it for a long time, very very good at reducing the chatter.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 vernon

vernon

Vernon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11868
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

We're always making fun of the guys at our place that use em' - call em' "Rudy's" as in wannabe's.  All in good fun though, doesn't really matter to me, I just think they look kinda dorky.  Especially the guys that have them on Ping's and Big Bertha's.  As for resale though, I can't imagine that it's gonna matter enough to even pay for the headcovers after two or three years.  What, $20 - $25 tops?  Nowadays, you're not gonna get crap back in resale or trade-in no matter what anyway.  In twelve months, everything's already a couple or more models old.  Most stores (and individuals) pay way more attention to the face and grooves when determining value than if there's nicks from bag chatter on the back of them.

#63 joecollege

joecollege

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8760
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

View PostMarkC, on 14 November 2010 - 12:00 PM, said:

I use covers because its annoying when im using my carry bag and the clubs are clattering off each other when walking along. My clubs are forged too and i wipe them down after each round and then dry the covers for the next day.

I bought these covers on ebay... very cheap

Posted Image

I have always snaked a towel through my set, but after seeing these....off to Ebay I go.

#64 zan3pric3

zan3pric3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105205
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

Bag chattered clubs add character.
Callaway RHT; Harrison Mugen Proto 60x
Callaway Razr Fit; Fujikura Speeder 8.3x
Callaway X Tour (2); Razr X Forged (3)
Callaway Razr X MB (4-P); Project X 6.5
Callaway JAWS CC (52, 58); TTDG X100
Odyssey WHXG #9 (SpryEvo Custom)
WITB Link

#65 golfsmygame

golfsmygame

Maclover

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69563
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:43 PM

View Postzan3pric3, on 17 November 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

I did some research and found out covered clubs in great condition sell for 20-30% more.  On a set of high end irons that could be 100-200 bucks.  That alone is enough reason to cover them in my book.  Because I usually keep irons 1-3 years.

#66 Golfer83

Golfer83

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116706
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

i use headcovers on my mp-32's and they still look blingy. I too use to hate the bag clatter noise and its very bumpy walking a course especially pull cart or driving. Buy the good ones, you wont regret it, I know Il never have another set of irons without using them. To me its only going to rust if the chrome wears off and they are really wet in the cover for awhile. If your chromes wearing off, your going to have a problem sooner or later anyway

#67 zan3pric3

zan3pric3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105205
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

View Postgolfsmygame, on 17 November 2010 - 08:43 PM, said:

View Postzan3pric3, on 17 November 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

I did some research and found out covered clubs in great condition sell for 20-30% more.  On a set of high end irons that could be 100-200 bucks.  That alone is enough reason to cover them in my book.  Because I usually keep irons 1-3 years.

I completely understand that. I was just saying you can normally tell alot by a person's irons. You can tell who's the neat freaks(iron headcovers), and who's the people who don't really give a rip. I think irons look the best when they are brand new of course, but if they want to get some bag chatter then I guess so be it.
Callaway RHT; Harrison Mugen Proto 60x
Callaway Razr Fit; Fujikura Speeder 8.3x
Callaway X Tour (2); Razr X Forged (3)
Callaway Razr X MB (4-P); Project X 6.5
Callaway JAWS CC (52, 58); TTDG X100
Odyssey WHXG #9 (SpryEvo Custom)
WITB Link

#68 daverain1

daverain1

CT Birdieman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71605
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

Iron covers are the sure sign of a hacker who felt the need for a useless golf gadget.  You can bet there's a ball retreiver and some type of score counter with the bag too.

#69 golfsmygame

golfsmygame

Maclover

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69563
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

View Postdaverain1, on 17 November 2010 - 10:28 PM, said:

Iron covers are the sure sign of a hacker who felt the need for a useless golf gadget.  You can bet there's a ball retreiver and some type of score counter with the bag too.
I would wholeheartedly disagree with you.  I have played with many accomplished players (including myself) that use iron covers.  I doubt the guy who posted earlier with the Taylormade Japanese irons is a hacker, at 1300.00 a set.  You should re-think your statement because it simply is wrong.

#70 alpsburner

alpsburner

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85259
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:41 AM

:clapping: ...............You can bet there's a ball retreiver............... :cheesy:

Honma S 02 10.5
Honma S 02 4w/7w
Titleist AP1 5i
Titleist MB 6-P
Titleist SM4 52/56/60/64
SC Futura (2003) 35*

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 vernon

vernon

Vernon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

OK, so how many use a cover for the ball retriever?

#72 Bobcat 2

Bobcat 2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57726
  • Ebay ID:Friskymuffin
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

The answer is simple, buy the Ghurka golf bag @ $6500 which is fleeced lined at the top. The fleece holds each club snug enough that the irons will not clang together. Its the only bag to own.

#73 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glenmorangie 18yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 922

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

View Postgolfsmygame, on 14 November 2010 - 12:15 AM, said:

OK.  You just spent 800.00 on a beautiful set of forged blades.  They are blinging chrome and oh so soft and fragile.  Do you put covers on them and look like a weenie, or let fate take it's course and slowly turn you prized possession to beaten up warsticks.  I am truly torn.  I own 2 sets a Mac 1025 M's.  I just took out the new set and compared them to the old set, 5 years old played without covers. I am thinking I would like to keep them pristine.  So I am going to put it to a poll.  Covers or not.  Thanks for your input.

Back in the late 90's I visited MacGregor and had them build a very expensive custom set of pretty blades for me; I still use them today.  I have some nice cars too... there was a time years back when I use to put a custom cover on each when I drove them anywhere... not all that different from a club cover.   Golf clubs are not bling just because they cost $... just like a 80k car is not a collectors item because it cost 80k

The question you must ask yourself - did you buy it as a collector or to use as a golfer; because neither the twine shall meet.  Do not buy what you can't afford to use, or are afraid to use.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 18 November 2010 - 01:15 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#74 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 243

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:21 PM

Where does the string come into all this?†

Edited by mat562, 18 November 2010 - 01:28 PM.

#75 toddnt

toddnt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8488
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

Play what you like, unless someone buys my clubs and tells me to wear them or not, I could care less what others think!

#76 teaz01

teaz01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1214
  • Ebay ID:teaz001
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

Hi,
Three words... resale, resale, resale.

#77 bashworth23

bashworth23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103118
  • Ebay ID:bashworth23

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

View PostBlakester, on 17 November 2010 - 09:45 AM, said:

I use iron covers and just put the cover in my pocket when I'm hitting a shot.  I had some Titleist 755s that I carried with no covers and the chrome is so soft it just nicks all to hell.  Looks awful to me.

were your 755s forged?

#78 GourmetSaint

GourmetSaint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116987

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:05 PM

View Postgolfsmygame, on 17 November 2010 - 11:15 PM, said:

I would wholeheartedly disagree with you.  I have played with many accomplished players (including myself) that use iron covers.  I doubt the guy who posted earlier with the Taylormade Japanese irons is a hacker, at 1300.00 a set.  You should re-think your statement because it simply is wrong.

I resemble that remark!!!

#79 hayzooos

hayzooos

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51734
  • Handicap:5-7
GolfWRX Likes : 714

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

View Postvernon, on 18 November 2010 - 08:34 AM, said:

OK, so how many use a cover for the ball retriever?

Love these guys.  I used to be a club scrubber at a course, and it was always funny when we would pull of a cover and find a ball retriever.  I one time asked a guy why he did it.  He said, "because I don't want the average person knowing how cheap I am that I actually have a ball retriever in my bag."  He was 100% telling the truth too.  He knew he was busted and owned up to it.

Not saying this as a general statement, just sharing a story.
Bio Cell + w/ Diamana D+
XHP 15* Fuji Speeder VC 8.1
Diablo Edge Tour 18* AXE Fwy
XHP 4-PW C-Taper
SCOR 52/58* Nippon WV 115/125
Odyssey Blk TD #1W
WITB Link

#80 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glenmorangie 18yr

• Advanced Members
  • 11,842 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:28 PM

View Postgolfsmygame, on 17 November 2010 - 11:15 PM, said:

Here's the thing about your statement of use and game... Over the last twenty years I've played golf in many of the states, and still play a reasonable number of rounds during my travel in MI, TX, and lots in AZ and CA.  I don't recall one golfer that had an index below say 6 that used head covers. Part of all my play included inter-club team and regional amateurs....  NOT one.  I am not saying you :lol: don't exist or t they don't exist but... golly I've played with a lot of people over the years.  

And, price of clubs has nothing to do with whether he or she has a game.  In general I think the guy you posted to was right... you and your friends just might be oddities, and I don't mean that in a bad way. :drinks:

A though just popped into my mind.  As much as people on this board and elsewhere on the internet use tour players as examples for their actions or decisions, how come I've never seen a tour player wandering down the fairway with head covers on his irons...  :tongue:  yet so many golfers on this board pick their clubs because of what the tour player uses.  figure that.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 18 November 2010 - 06:31 PM.

ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#81 Golfer83

Golfer83

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116706
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 18 November 2010 - 06:28 PM, said:

Here's the thing about your statement of use and game... Over the last twenty years I've played golf in many of the states, and still play a reasonable number of rounds during my travel in MI, TX, and lots in AZ and CA.  I don't recall one golfer that had an index below say 6 that used head covers. Part of all my play included inter-club team and regional amateurs....  NOT one.  I am not saying you :lol: don't exist or t they don't exist but... golly I've played with a lot of people over the years.  

And, price of clubs has nothing to do with whether he or she has a game.  In general I think the guy you posted to was right... you and your friends just might be oddities, and I don't mean that in a bad way. :drinks:

A though just popped into my mind.  As much as people on this board and elsewhere on the internet use tour players as examples for their actions or decisions, how come I've never seen a tour player wandering down the fairway with head covers on his irons...  :tongue:  yet so many golfers on this board pick their clubs because of what the tour player uses.  figure that.

well I play with a guy thats a 4 handicap that uses iron covers. I think its the cost of irons and  iron covers will keep your irons in better condition. Money spent on clubs isnt really an issue for pros so why would they even consider iron covers, I know if I was a pro and could get a free new set whenever I wanted I wouldnt use them. To me its really up to the buyer of the irons if he wants to use them or not, doesnt really matter. I like irons covers tho because I want to keep them looking great the longest I can after I spend a 1,000 dollars on irons. Even at set up it gives me a better feel over the ball when I have an iron that looks new except for a ball mark on the face. Whereas some people prefer an iron with bag clatter all over it at address.

Edited by Golfer83, 18 November 2010 - 06:39 PM.

#82 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glenmorangie 18yr

• Advanced Members
  • 11,842 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

View PostGolfer83, on 18 November 2010 - 06:37 PM, said:

View PostPepperturbo, on 18 November 2010 - 06:28 PM, said:

well I play with a guy thats a 4 handicap that uses iron covers. I think its the cost of irons and  iron covers will keep your irons in better condition. Money spent on clubs isnt really an issue for pros so why would they even consider iron covers, I know if I was a pro and could get a free new set whenever I wanted I wouldnt use them. To me its really up to the buyer of the irons if he wants to use them or not, doesnt really matter. I like irons covers tho because I want to keep them looking great the longest I can after I spend a 1,000 dollars on irons. Even at set up it gives me a better feel over the ball when I have an iron that looks new except for a ball mark on the face. Whereas some people prefer an iron with bag clatter all over it at address.

Like I said, they are oddities, and there's nothing wrong with that either.  But, I play golf with two touring pros and a relative of mine was on the pga tour for some years.  Even though most  touring pros have a garage filled with clubs, they do not change irons that often; so your point doesn't support their actions or their friends.  Heck Mark Calc.. has been using irons that are years old; and Jack N showed up to play in a recent ProAm using old MacGregor blades that had his name on them.  Here's the thing about touring pros, they don't like changing irons because irons are scoring clubs and take time to get them dialed in, and comfortable with, as opposed to graphite shafts and putters.  They don't really care what their tools look like, and I believe that's the case with most good amateurs.  Purposely having bag chatter on clubs means nothing either.  If anything, having a dime spot worn in the middle of our club faces has some value.

If a player takes care of his clubs keeps the bag cover on when not in use they don't get beat up.  My 1999 custom irons and my current clubs both get used way more then most and they look pretty good.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 18 November 2010 - 07:00 PM.

ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#83 Noonan

Noonan

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 868
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

Iron covers belong in the same bin with ball retrievers.  They are for the golf uninitiated, the chop, the golfing nerd.  They have no place in the bag of a real golfer.

I've never seen or played with a real golfer or anyone that is a good player carry iron covers.

#84 twooverowl

twooverowl

Minimalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291235
  • Handicap:19.4
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:00 AM

I have played with a lot of serious golfers who use them even saw a big break contestant had some on in an episode. I use them on my wedges and because when im walking irons clankin is like a headache waitin to happen...

Edited by nogimmes85, 25 November 2010 - 06:19 PM.

Adams Idea a12 OS Hybrid (19*)
Tour Edge Bazooka Jmax QL (4I)
Nike Slingshot HL (8I, AW)
Wilson Augusta Putter
Srixon Sunday Bag
Titleist DT Solo

#85 rge

rge

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14384
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:35 AM

To each his own. I have covers because I don't like to hear them clanking around and I like the irons to look good. To me, pristine irons look good.  When someone else is buying clubs for me, then maybe i'll entertain the idea  of removing the covers.  I also play fairly decently.  For those that think I'd be easy pickings, i'd like for you to take off a few bills from this golf geek, newbie, wannabe, etc.....

#86 vernon

vernon

Vernon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

I just don't get what the big deal is about how good they look if nobody's ever gonna see them covered up anyway?  Like putting seat covers on the leather in a Lexus so it's worth more at resale?  I'd rather enjoy it myself while it looks good and be able to show it off to others than keep it covered up and hidden.  As for club chatter, that's as much an inherent sound of the game as metal spikes on concrete (used to be).  Four guys/gals heading off down the first fairway with clubs "chattering" is golf's music to one's ears and kind of sets the tone for the day.  Unless of course they're discussing the future resale value of their clubs instead of the day's wagers in which case the pleasing silence of neoprene bumping and rubbing will fill the air.  I still say, let em' clang!

#87 enyce92104

enyce92104

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116395

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

View Postkg4ever, on 14 November 2010 - 03:28 PM, said:

since i bought my irons in used condition, so im trying to get it protect~~actually, they aint look too badAttachment DSC06317.JPG

Whar ever happened to owning a brand new set of bad a$$ irons and showing off that you actually use them? I like all the marks on my set, shows I use em, just may be pretty good with em. I golf with a guy that uses covers, he takes a while to get back in the cart if we're driving, don't let one fall off, and the covers are older than the club so if you're showing off some shiny new irons and using a cover, be sure it's suitable. Regarding the clanging together, a hand behind the back is a quick fix when walking.

A new golf set is pretty but you are going to be hitting them into or on top of dirt and grass for four hours at a time. Reminds me of pro skaters with wrist gaurds.

#88 WilCox

WilCox

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27591
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

Iron covers... no thanks.
913D3 8.5*
TM V-Steel 14*
913H.d 20*
PING S56 4-P KBS
PING Tour 56*&60*
Odyssey #1W

#89 Golf187

Golf187

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117853
  • Ebay ID:Drsatan7777
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

Never use iron covers... They are going to get dirty and show dings. Thats just the cost of doing business.

#90 Blakester

Blakester

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90360
  • Ebay ID:blakester37
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

View Postbashworth23, on 18 November 2010 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostBlakester, on 17 November 2010 - 09:45 AM, said:

I use iron covers and just put the cover in my pocket when I'm hitting a shot.  I had some Titleist 755s that I carried with no covers and the chrome is so soft it just nicks all to hell.  Looks awful to me.

were your 755s forged?

Yes, they were forged.  They were the ones Steve Stricker used to play with the red, aluminum chip in the back.  I had 2 sets.  The 1st I was fit to was 1/2" short and I didn't use covers on them.  After several months of banging around in the bag the chrome was all nicked up and I didn't like the look.  BUT - I went back to where I got the irons and told them I think I was ill-fit as I'm 6'1".  The PGA Pro there agreed (I was originally fit by the local Titleist rep who I found out got canned).  I got re-fit for +1/4" long and Titleist sent me a brand new set of irons and wedges as a trade for the short ones.  I put covers on those right away!

TaylorMade SLDR 14*, Stock Shaft!
TaylorMade SLDR Mini 16*
Titleist 910F 19 & 21, Axiv Black
Titleist AP2 714, W-5, DG S300
Never Compromise Milled
Titleist Vokey SM4 57, 62

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors