Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

1954 MacGregor Tourney Tommy Arour 653 Eye O Matic Refinish

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 persimmonpal

persimmonpal

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78139
  • Ebay ID:persimmonpal
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

I have been doing some work here and there on a set of all original Eye O Matics I have had kicking around for a while.. I decided to post a few pics of the soles.. I will update this thread after each additional step.
So far I have replaced all of the sole screws on all 4 wood.. I have oversized head screws so that I can replace them, grind the down and have all of the screws nice and flush.
I have also removed the soleplates and reepoxied, removed all of the face screws on all four woods and reepoxied them as well. The insert on the 34 & 5 are nice & tight,, but the driver was loose, so I removed that one and reepoxied.
I have painted the stamps on the soleplates. Next step is to wet sand the entire heads with 600 grit, let dry, and then do two applications of pore filler.
After that its mask off the faces plates and backweights, paint, the apply the finish!
Hope you like the sole plate pics!
I LOVE the 653 EOMs.. My co-favorite set along with Penna TP Specials.. Cant wait to see these things donesf 125.jpg
sf 126.jpg

Edited by persimmonpal, 11 November 2010 - 04:30 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Maxwell

Maxwell

Max

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99037
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

The stampings on the toe are "so easy" to read. I'm getting better at that but have a "way to go" yet. The method of doing stampings that you sent to me a few years ago has been a big help.
Max

Edited by Maxwell, 11 November 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#3 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

Very nice John!

Do the clubs have the True Temper Tourney E flex shaft?

#4 persimmonpal

persimmonpal

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

View PostBella Woods, on 11 November 2010 - 05:06 PM, said:

Very nice John!

Do the clubs have the True Temper Tourney E flex shaft?

Thanks Wally! The shafts are "D" Flex.
Original leather wraps too!

#5 persimmonpal

persimmonpal

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:11 PM

View PostMaxwell, on 11 November 2010 - 04:51 PM, said:

The stampings on the toe are "so easy" to read. I'm getting better at that but have a "way to go" yet. The method of doing stampings that you sent to me a few years ago has been a big help.
Max

Glad to hear it is working out for you Max!

#6 freddiec

freddiec

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2258
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

Can't wait to see the progress on those clubs. Nice job so far! Great stamps, they should come out great.

#7 persimmonpal

persimmonpal

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

I made a little more progress on the woods.. they are looking really nice.
After I cleaned up the plates and face, reepoxied everything, etc, I wet sanded the heads with 600 grit, let dry, and then applied the paste filler.
The paste filler goes on pretty thick, and is allowed to stay on until it starts to look like dried mud. What is happening is that the filler seeps into the pores, dries, and is then wiped off, leaving a smooth surface. You generally need to do two coats on the persimmons, as the pores can be large.
After the filler comes off, it is allowed to cure for at least a day, and then it is time to mask off all the areas that will not be painted.
This part is a pain in the butt.. It requires alot of patience, using an exacto blade and clear tape.. Takes about 15 minutes per club.
After they are all masked, I paint them with 2 coats of black gloss paint. I try to pull off the tape as soon as the paint is dry to the touch.. if it stays on too long sometimes the tape will leave behind a gummy residue which is a real pain to get off and not alter the appearance of either the plates or the paint.
After the tape is off, I will usually let the woods sit for 2-3 days to fully cure, then wet sand again in a circular motion on the wood parts, to smooth out the paint. To clean up any overspray on the borders of the face, plate, etc, I will use OOOO steel wool, after the water from the wet sand has worn off.
When I get to that point next week sometime I will post more pics.. I hope this helps people who want to give refinishing a shot!

Wet filler:
sf 129.jpg
Filler with "muddy" appearance.. Time to wipe off
sf 132.jpg
Plates taped off(the face and backweights are also taped off)
sf 133.jpg
sf 134.jpg
Painted woods
sf 140.jpg
sf 141.jpg
With the taped removed
sf 142.jpg

#8 bermuda

bermuda

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42877
  • Ebay ID:al_neri
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

Great work. Just curious: Why do you mask the soleplates and paint rather than removing them, painting, then reinstalling? Just thinking about painting cars, if I can remove a trim piece rather than mask it, I will do that. But sometimes, it's not worth the trouble.

#9 persimmonpal

persimmonpal

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

View Postbermuda, on 12 November 2010 - 04:16 PM, said:

Great work. Just curious: Why do you mask the soleplates and paint rather than removing them, painting, then reinstalling? Just thinking about painting cars, if I can remove a trim piece rather than mask it, I will do that. But sometimes, it's not worth the trouble.

Hi~
I have done that in the past, and will do that if the plates have nice tight seams. This set, there were small gaps here and there between the cavity and the plate, so when I reepoxied the plates, I put enough epoxy in there so it squeezed through and filled in that crack. Then, when cured, I sand it all flush.
You are right though.. MUCH easier to not have to mask off the plate..

#10 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116695
  • Ebay ID:elkhartmarbles
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

View Postpersimmonpal, on 11 November 2010 - 04:29 PM, said:

I have been doing some work here and there on a set of all original Eye O Matics I have had kicking around for a while.. I decided to post a few pics of the soles.. I will update this thread after each additional step.
So far I have replaced all of the sole screws on all 4 wood.. I have oversized head screws so that I can replace them, grind the down and have all of the screws nice and flush.
I have also removed the soleplates and reepoxied, removed all of the face screws on all four woods and reepoxied them as well. The insert on the 34 & 5 are nice & tight,, but the driver was loose, so I removed that one and reepoxied.
I have painted the stamps on the soleplates. Next step is to wet sand the entire heads with 600 grit, let dry, and then do two applications of pore filler.
After that its mask off the faces plates and backweights, paint, the apply the finish!
I LOVE the 653 EOMs.. My co-favorite set along with Penna TP Specials.. Cant wait to see these things doneAttachment sf 125.jpg
Attachment sf 126.jpg

I agree about the 653 eye-o-matics.  One of the most striking clubs that MacGregor ever made.  A lot of them got messed up back in 1970's and 80's. because everyone thought they should have a stain that showed off the grain on their drivers.  The 653 eye-o's and Penna P-40's epitomize Classic woods.
Bob

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 persimmonpal

persimmonpal

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 14 November 2010 - 03:24 PM, said:

View Postpersimmonpal, on 11 November 2010 - 04:29 PM, said:

I LOVE the 653 EOMs.. My co-favorite set along with Penna TP Specials.. Cant wait to see these things doneAttachment sf 125.jpg
Attachment sf 126.jpg

I agree about the 653 eye-o-matics.  One of the most striking clubs that MacGregor ever made.  A lot of them got messed up back in 1970's and 80's. because everyone thought they should have a stain that showed off the grain on their drivers.  The 653 eye-o's and Penna P-40's epitomize Classic woods.
Bob

Very true.. I love the look of nice grain, but I say if the club was black originally, then it was meant to be black. I have seen plenty of clubs with their stamps sanded completely away, because whoever was doing the refinishing was obsessed with getting the black out. What a shame! The P40s are pretty cool too.. I was never a huge fan of the SEOM style head, but those are an exception.
Thanks for the comments!

Edited by persimmonpal, 14 November 2010 - 03:41 PM.

#12 professor_doom

professor_doom

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103897
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:21 PM

What kind of paint are you using?  Lacquer?

#13 persimmonpal

persimmonpal

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:19 PM

The paint is heavy duty gloss enamel.. I would love to do lacquer, just because it dries so quick and would speed up the process, but it would react with the poly I use to finish the clubs.
I used to do lacquer finishes, but I could bever get a dipped lacquer down.. even thinned out substntially I would still end up with runs. I tried spraying for a while, but was never satisfied with that either, as the "orange peel
effect drove me nuts.
Although the poly will amber in 10 years or so, it is more durable than lacquer, and the dipped finish is way better than a sprayed finish, imho.

#14 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

John:

I have to agree with you regarding spraying on a finish, I have never had much luck with it in the past
and don't even bother anymore. I think unless you have the expensive spraying booth and equipment
it does not work out very well. Dipping is the best way (for results) for most of us.

Also, I think the vast majority of people who refinish golf clubs and spray their finishes with success
use moisture cure poly as opposed to oil modified. But a lot of people don't have the equipment
(and can't control the temp/humidity) like the manufacturers can.

For the older clubs, I still think varnish with a satin finish is the best (thinned varnish, sanded & waxed).

BTW - "heavy duty gloss enamel" - You are referring to oil based paint, right? (I was just wondering
because "enamel" has taken on almost a generic meaning!)

Edited by Bella Woods, 15 November 2010 - 05:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors