Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Original Ping Rapture 3 wood

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:56 AM

I'm pretty set on getting one of the original Rapture 3 woods as I want a 3 wood for off the tee that has a deep and large face. I never really use a 3 from the fairway so this isn't an issue. I'm a 9 HCP and have a relatively high ball flight.

I'd like to know two things from those with experience of this club:

1. How does the original rapture set-up, is it way closed at address? I can't seem to find any good pics of the address position and don't want something that is a hook machine.

2. How does the head launch and what shafts are you guys using in this? I'm aware it's a 14* head but need to decide between an Aldila NVS or Aldila VS Proto 85. Any feedback on these options? I've tried the TFC shafts in Ping's more recent offerings and wasn't a huge fan so will not be considering this setup.

Unfortunately I won't get the chance to hit it before buying but I'm confident I'll get on well with it as I've used the G10 and G15 series and enjoyed them.

Thanks for your help.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 filler83

filler83

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30819
  • Ebay ID:filler83
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

I had the Rapture 3 wood, sold it, and regret it.  I  loved it off the tee.

I had mine with the TFC stiff shaft.  I used to have the 5 wood, and demoed that in the TFC and NVS shafts.  I liked the NVS shaft better, but couldn't find one in the 3 wood.  I have a smooth mid-90s swing with a tendency to draw and I thought the shaft was fine for me.  Not a hook machine either.

I am looking for another one, too.
Ping G25 10.5*
TEE XCG 15*
Ping G25 20*
Titleist AP1 712 4-GW
PING TR Shea
Cally X-Forged 56

#3 BMC

BMC

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 314

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:12 AM

If its any help, I play the V1 Rapture 5 wood.  At 17* its really a 4 wood.  Adila NVS regular shaft.  I got it because of the deep face and larger head.  Neutral set up.
I use it for tee shots on shorter par 4s.  Hit it about 230.  Plays well off the turf, too.  Its my favorite club in the bag.  The titanium head makes it fly!  
Highly recommend the V1 line.

Bill  8 hdcp

Edited by BMC, 05 November 2010 - 07:20 AM.

Titleist 907D2
Ping Rapture V1 3 wood
'91 MacGregor VIP 3-SW
TM Monte Carlo 7 putter

#4 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am assuming this club is also fairly forgiving due to its size and being Ping. Is this correct?

#5 bartlettsj

bartlettsj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13403
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

I had the 3 wood with a NVS shaft and regret it now as well.  It was simply a beast off the tee.  My driver swingspeed is in the mid-90s. I personally didn't hit it off the fairway all that well.  I'm looking to buy one with either the NVS or VS shaft.  I don't believe it set up square (not hooked).

#6 Timmay_MO

Timmay_MO

Advanced

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29675
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

I hated mine.  Sold it to a buddy and he creams it.  I don't know if it was the shaft or what, but I never could hit it very well and it was useless off the deck.  I have a V2 5 wood that I love.  Have you hit one of those?

#7 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

Haven't hit the V2 Rapture as the head profile is relatively small I feel - more in line with the newer G series. I'm really after something bigger I guess.

#8 rlccwolh5

rlccwolh5

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7512
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

Great club, bomb off the tee, more than adequate off of fairway lies...  Get it with the VS Proto if you can find.  My LH version sets square to slightly open.  I swap it frequently with my old V-Steel 3W, two of the best I've ever hit...

#9 mckennwa

mckennwa

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38587
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:bill-rhit
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

I still game a Rapture 3 wood with the stock TFC shaft in stiff.  Mine doesn't appear closed at all.

I might replace it this off-season though as I used it mostly off the tee and I am now hitting my driver much more consistently.  I dd not use the Rapture from the fairway too often.  So I may go to a 4 wood and hybrid combo this year to replace my current 3 wood / 5 wood combo.

Edited by mckennwa, 05 November 2010 - 01:34 PM.

#10 jonnyh10

jonnyh10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7426
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

I have both the 14* & 17* Rapture V1 woods.

Both are great clubs, forgiving and long!!!

Actually just had mine refinished with an all black crown (no moon alignment aid) and will be shafting them up with Project X-8B4 shafts.

The heads are definitely not closed (I play of +2 hcp (UK)).

N.B. Also got my PING G10 7.5* & 9* driver heads refinished with no alignment aid  :D

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:05 PM

I used the Rapture 3W with an NVS shaft for a couple of years; I finally got rid of it (reluctantly) because it was almost TOO long off the tee in that I only hit it about 15 yds. shorter than my driver.  

What I loved about the club was the size of the head; it didn't look tiny compared to a 460 cc driver when using it off the tee.  But it IS a deep-faced club, and the sweetspot was a shade higher on the face than I wanted, which made it a little tough to hit off tight lies and a little tough to really elevate.

FWIW, the V2 3W addresses those issues nicely, still looks big, and has a more neutral face than the original.

#12 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

Thanks again for all the responses. Glad to hear it's not closed at address and that for most of you it's proved a beast off the tee. Think I'll be picking one up with the proto in the very near future once I offload my i15.

#13 avrag

avrag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32251
GolfWRX Likes : 474

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

The original Rapture 3wood did what I never thought possible, which is to kick the Nike SQII 3wood out of my bag. It was way too expensive for me when it came out, so I did not buy it, although I loved it at a demo day. But a local golf shop sold them for a decent price this summer and so I got one. It is not only great (long and forgiving) off the tee, but I also use it regularily off the fairway. My driver swing speed is only high 90s, so I generally cannot reach par 5s in two, but since putting the Rapture in play, I can often chip from just short of the green on shorter par 5s of about 520 to 540 yards. It is not hard to hit off the deck at all, and despite the huge head, it also works well out of the short rough.
I left the stock TFC shaft in R-Flex in it, and while I did not like the TFC driver shafts, this works perfectly for me.
I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors