Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

"Whip" at impact

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kcgolfer

kcgolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42931
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

Alot of people here seem obsessed with Hogan and the body swing but I am obsessed with pros that seem to literally WHIP the club through impact.   John Senden seems to encompass what I am talking about.   On youtube there is a segment  called uncut  where john mcginnis interviews John  Senden...there is a great closeup of Sendens swing where he absolutely WHIPS the club thru impact and the sound is unlike any I've heard before.  
   So I ask, how does one swing like that?   loose arms, all hips?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 dawgcpa

dawgcpa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33451
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

Haven't seen the video but George Hibbard's teaching talks about whipping the club through.  He talks about very loose wrists and then when you get the hands to the right pocket, release and roll the hands.  He also says there is actually a small pulling back of the hands to whip the club.  You can think about a rock on the end of a string.  If you want to spin it faster there is actually a pulling back of the string as it pasts the hand.  His method is teaching the release and then everything else that sets up this release.  

I'm definitely not an expert on his method as I am more of a stack and tilt guy.  But, if releasing such as this is your goal, then I think George is probably a good place to start.  His old book was called Perfect Impact.  The rewrite and exanded version is called Even Great Golf is Not that Hard.  

Good luck.

#3 dlam

dlam

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107490
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:54 PM

Do you have a link to that youtube segment?

John Seden seems to have more "punch" in the right elbow at impact than other fellow tour players.

#4 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:01 AM

Are you talking about the swing at 2:28?  That is the only swing in the segment.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LlvXf9Ej3rA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LlvXf9Ej3rA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

#5 gators78

gators78

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121638
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 434

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

So let me add a few notes here.

1) First, Senden is a really tall dude with a huge arc and really gives himself a lot of space to speed up that clubhead.  If you are shorter than he is it can be difficult to get that much speed with less room.

2) Perfect pivot and sequencing, the mistake amateurs would make would be to just whip the arms through but you'll notice in the video a lot of what he does is controlled by his body and his arms are along for the ride, evident by his stronger left hand grip that stabilizes the face rather than rotates to add leverage.

3) Its all about speed and if you're even thinking of trying to do a few things with your arms/hands/whatever on the way down you're just slowing things up.  It takes an equal amount of confidence to just whip that thing through and not try to hold on.

4) Talent, talent talent and more talent.  He's got some unreal hand-eye coordination and it's great if you already swing like that, but to try to adjust your swing to look more like that and my goodness you'll be giving it the 'fore left/right' pretty quickly.

#6 chip75

chip75

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94483
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

My friends commented that after seeing John during play and practice at the 1st Wales Open at Celtic Manor was how loud his strikes were. I think a lot of guys have mentioned you can hear as much see a good striker.

#7 kcgolfer

kcgolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Thats the one!!

View Postcarrera, on 25 October 2010 - 12:01 AM, said:

Are you talking about the swing at 2:28?  That is the only swing in the segment.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LlvXf9Ej3rA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LlvXf9Ej3rA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

#8 kcgolfer

kcgolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the great reply,...although you crushed me as I am only 5'9"!  lol.  Dont you think it would help me to at least try to add some 'whip' to the swing?   I know after trying to swing like this at the range, I have hit my longest drive of all time.   Problem is, it happened about 3 times and I could not recreate it the next range session.    

View Postgators77, on 25 October 2010 - 01:55 PM, said:

1) First, Senden is a really tall dude with a huge arc and really gives himself a lot of space to speed up that clubhead.  If you are shorter than he is it can be difficult to get that much speed with less room.

2) Perfect pivot and sequencing, the mistake amateurs would make would be to just whip the arms through but you'll notice in the video a lot of what he does is controlled by his body and his arms are along for the ride, evident by his stronger left hand grip that stabilizes the face rather than rotates to add leverage.

3) Its all about speed and if you're even thinking of trying to do a few things with your arms/hands/whatever on the way down you're just slowing things up.  It takes an equal amount of confidence to just whip that thing through and not try to hold on.

4) Talent, talent talent and more talent.  He's got some unreal hand-eye coordination and it's great if you already swing like that, but to try to adjust your swing to look more like that and my goodness you'll be giving it the 'fore left/right' pretty quickly.

#9 Josh The Nosh

Josh The Nosh

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66748

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

if you think of it as going down an escalator you moving down at a certain speed but if you walk down while its going down your moving alot faster.

if your body is the escalator and you are the hands, thats how you do it i aded 18mph swing speed doing this a while ago but i gave up on it for the rotary swing :D

#10 gators78

gators78

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121638
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 434

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:20 PM

View Postkcgolfer, on 25 October 2010 - 03:42 PM, said:

Thanks for the great reply,...although you crushed me as I am only 5'9"!  lol.  Dont you think it would help me to at least try to add some 'whip' to the swing?   I know after trying to swing like this at the range, I have hit my longest drive of all time.   Problem is, it happened about 3 times and I could not recreate it the next range session.    

What you are trying to say is add some 'speed' to your golf swing, and yes that can be very good if you can keep it under control.  There was a tip that Fats had mentioned to me, and it is something Freddy/Matt Kuchar have been doing, which is trying to get your hands over your left shoulder on your follow through as fast as possible, it'll help to cut down any drag on your downswing and force you to move through that ball.  I'll be honest too, if you're 5'9" you should not be trying to copy John Senden, look at a guy like Andres Romero, who probably hits it farther than Senden and is not very tall at all, LOT of power in that golf swing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1077

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

View Postkcgolfer, on 24 October 2010 - 10:50 AM, said:

Alot of people here seem obsessed with Hogan and the body swing but I am obsessed with pros that seem to literally WHIP the club through impact.   John Senden seems to encompass what I am talking about.   On youtube there is a segment  called uncut  where john mcginnis interviews John  Senden...there is a great closeup of Sendens swing where he absolutely WHIPS the club thru impact and the sound is unlike any I've heard before.  
   So I ask, how does one swing like that?   loose arms, all hips?

Make sure your hips are clear then accelerate the arms and hands at impact.  I am no J.Senden however I am 61 and still banging the ball for those reasons.

PS I am only 5'10 and 205lbs.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 25 October 2010 - 06:30 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#12 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 344

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

Nick Faldo talked about a left arm whip through impact.  He described it as a motion like hitting a top spin shot in ping pong using the left hand and arm.  He hit the ball pretty pure that way.

Steve

#13 TB07

TB07

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223873
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

View Postkcgolfer, on 25 October 2010 - 03:42 PM, said:

This is a very good post..Let me add some of my own thoughts to answer your question. You Can add whip with your arms, wrists, and club. In fact many great teachers focus on these things ie Ernest Jones, Manuel de la torre, Jim Flick etc. etc., There are many teachers who focus on body positions. I believe there needs to be a blend of the two. We know through technology that the downswing sequence of many great players goes, lower body first,(then it slows down), then upper body, (then it slows), then arms , (it slows), hands, (slows), then club! So even though you wont feel that in a full swing, if you sequence your body correctly , you will then be able to ( at the final moment) deliver the arms,wrists, and hands, into the golf ball.If your pivot (body movement) is not sequenced correct and you just try whipping your hands and arms through, it will likely occur from the top of your swing versus ( right before impact) causing the arms,hands, and club to actually slow down at impact loosing speed and probably bottoming out behind the golf ball.

Edited by TB07, 31 January 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#14 SafariThomas

SafariThomas

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101924
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h/1/ZFt5Vow9QN8

http://www.youtube.c...182/u68RZjdnVMs
Posted Image Have fun!

Edited by tommypar72, 25 October 2010 - 08:18 PM.

#15 TimSF

TimSF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100969
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:09 AM

The most effective way to achieve the type of move your interested in, is getting your weight quickly on to your left side and push your right hip and shoulder and elbow through the ball while snapping your right hand out to right field. I've been working on this motion and quickly gained beautiful ballflight and control.BE VERY CAREFUL OF TENSING UP! It works only if you stay relaxed. If you tense up your misses could be terrrrible.

#16 aliikane

aliikane

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113801
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:49 AM

He seems to really let the club pass his body during the release. Looks like a very effortless, powerful, and efficient swing.  Butch Harmon was talking about this at the Justin Timberlake tournament last week. Butch was saying that he and Nick Watney were working on making the club pass his body when releasing it. He said that Nick sometimes had  too active of a lower body.

#17 kcgolfer

kcgolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the links!!  Great vids!  

View Posttommypar72, on 25 October 2010 - 08:00 PM, said: