Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

STANDARD for "standard" iron shaft lengths?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 54321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17084
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

Been static measured for standard length clubs.  Giving serious consideration to a new set of either J38 DPCs or AP2s, but notice the lengths are 1/4" different.  The Bridgestones have 35.5" PW, 35.75" 9 iron, then + 0.5" for ea club on up.  Titleist goes off 35.75" PW, 36" 9 iron, then + 0.5" on up.  Both have nearly identical lie angles.  I carry a 35.5" long gap wedge so would make sense to start my PW @ 35.75" then work up from there, but am leaning toward the Bridgestones.  Anyone know if there is a STANDARD standard length for irons?  Does it differ by manufacturer?  Do different companies measure shaft length differently (perhaps to end of shaft butt v end of grip)?  Trying to figure out if I need to order J38s + 1/4" throughout the set.  Appreciate any insight out there.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 680

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:44 AM

There is no "standard". Each manufacturer has their own idea on which length, loft and lie is optimal for their set. These days, you can bet that most companies err in the direction of upright (anti-slice) with longer shafts and stronger lofts for more distance. JDM irons tend to be 1/4" shorter than most equivalent US/ European spec irons with somewhat flatter lies too.

#3 54321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:10 AM

View Postjaskanski, on 24 October 2010 - 10:44 AM, said:

There is no "standard". Each manufacturer has their own idea on which length, loft and lie is optimal for their set. These days, you can bet that most companies err in the direction of upright (anti-slice) with longer shafts and stronger lofts for more distance. JDM irons tend to be 1/4" shorter than most equivalent US/ European spec irons with somewhat flatter lies too.

Thanks for the feedback.  Am leaning toward getting the bridgestones at +1/4" then just using masking tape &swingboard to figure out if lie needs adjusting.  Do you know the effect on swing weight by going 1/4" longer?  Not overly concered, just curious.  Also, not familiar with JDM...what does that stand for?

#4 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 680

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

1/4" longer will yield a slightly higher swingweight of around 1-1.5 points. This can usually be offset with a small amount of lead tape under the grip to get it spot on. A 1/4 " difference in shaft length is usually the smallest amount which is discernable to the average golfer - some will notice it, some won't.
JDM is an abbreviation for Japanese domestic market - most clubs produced and sold in the Asian market. Most "standard" specs are aimed towards the average golfer based on height and stature of the target audience they are intended for. The Asian market  has a shorter average height than the western counterparts.

Edited by jaskanski, 24 October 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#5 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

View Post54321, on 24 October 2010 - 10:32 AM, said:

Been static measured for standard length clubs.  Giving serious consideration to a new set of either J38 DPCs or AP2s, but notice the lengths are 1/4" different.  The Bridgestones have 35.5" PW, 35.75" 9 iron, then + 0.5" for ea club on up.  Titleist goes off 35.75" PW, 36" 9 iron, then + 0.5" on up.  Both have nearly identical lie angles.  I carry a 35.5" long gap wedge so would make sense to start my PW @ 35.75" then work up from there, but am leaning toward the Bridgestones.  Anyone know if there is a STANDARD standard length for irons?  Does it differ by manufacturer?  Do different companies measure shaft length differently (perhaps to end of shaft butt v end of grip)?  Trying to figure out if I need to order J38s + 1/4" throughout the set.  Appreciate any insight out there.

Whats your wrist to floor?

Jaskanski is mostly right here, but its a mistake to think that a 5 iron at playing length of 38.00 is 1/4 longer than one at 37.75 in another brand.
The problem is the method of measure. If you take a Callaway 5 iron and a Mizuno 5 iron, the numbers above should be familiar, but the length is the same, or at the most 1/8 apart.

I dont have any Bridgestone irons at hand, so i would not know what playing length they use, but il be surprised if they have the same method as Callaway/Titleist/Adams.
When i measure playing length i use a ruler from Mitchell that uses the method USGA uses for driver length, and on this ruler a "std" Callaway 5 iron is 38.00", and so is Mizuno.

Is there any Bridgestone folks here that can help us out?

Edited by Howard Jones, 24 October 2010 - 11:52 AM.

#6 54321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

Jaskanski : thx for the JDM explanation as well as the swing weight intel...appreciate it.

Howard Jones : I am 5'10" bare footed and measure 36 1/4" wrist to floor with my spikes.  So if I'm reading you right, a titleist 5  iron listed at 38" and a bridgestone 5 iron listed at 37 1/4" could differ purely on account of measurement methods/practices yet both physically measure out the same?  Wow it sure is hard to compare one manufacturer's measurements against another's if they are not employing the same "ruler" so to speak.  

I think to clear things up I'll go to Rodger Dunn and ask them to measure both clubs.  If they measure out the same then i'll know different measuring techniques are being used.  If they measure differently then I'll know to adjust my order accordingly.  All things being equal, I figured it made sense to not have two of my clubs (gap & PW) the same length.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors