Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Claw Grip

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 animalistic

animalistic

7th Hole Ballybunion !!

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9000
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:30 PM

heya
Started messing around with the claw grip for the first time today..................EVERYTHING went in!!!
IS IT ALWAYS LIKE THIS???!!!
it jus seems that the blade releases v square to the target line with this grip..im definetely changin to claw...anything else i should know regards technique or possible shortcomings???

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 lidomkj

lidomkj

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1494
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:20 PM

I read somewhere that you should get the lie angle changed a little bit steeper, I think it was a quote from Chris Dimarco?

#3 bgolfing

bgolfing

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13080
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:28 PM

I have used it for awhile and it is very good. No manipulation. You just have to concentrate on speed and a good stroke. Experiment with different claw grips too. You don;t have to grip it like DiMarco with the whole hand. I have held it like a pencil or paintbrush in the fingers and now I have it in the fleshy part between thumb and forefinger.

#4 Spumoni

Spumoni

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9539
  • Ebay ID:kkjsoccer
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:57 PM

I've been using it for about two years and have never putted better.  I put the shaft in the slot between the thumb & index finger and then extended the fingers on my right hand down the shaft on top.  Use a putter with an upright lie, I stand close to the ball and use a straight back straight through stoke....   :drinks:

Edited by kkjp1, 17 July 2006 - 02:59 PM.

#5 developtech

developtech

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15015
  • Ebay ID:developtech

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:21 PM

I have been using the claw this year and my stroke has never been better. Having hit every kind of putter I could find with the new grip I would recommend looking into a center shaft model of some kind. The claw develops a very straight back and straight through stroke and as such I have found some of the toe heavy putters hard to putt with. I also will occasionally push a heel shafted face balanced putter although Chris D. seems to do fine with his Ping.

Good luck and when your friends make fun of your grip, just drop a 20 footer and smile!

James

#6 housey

housey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13835

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:27 PM

different strokes for different folks. DiMarco can't win a raffle at the moment. so in answer to your question "is it always like this?" NO.

we still have a head on our shoulders full of great ideas and negativity and distractions. Work the mind out and golf would be easy

#7 bobcat

bobcat

Avid Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5452
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:57 PM

An un-natural way to putt for sure, but it can work for those whose yips have reached the point where they will try anything to get rid of them...

Edited by bobcat, 20 July 2006 - 06:58 PM.

#8 broth518

broth518

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1867
  • Ebay ID:nikegolfer518
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

I hear that I switched last summer and never putted better

#9 Ditty_72

Ditty_72

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15414
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:20 AM

I tried that for a brief period, and it worked well on shorter putts, but I couldn't get a feel for lag putting whatsoever. I now putt cross-handed (aka left hand low, although for me it's right hand low). I'm putting very well right now. Not outstanding, but I have made several putts. I find that this method works better than the claw and standard for me. Just me though. Just like I putt better with a standard putter than I do with a belly putter. I also prefer the look of center shafted putters with no offset; I think of it the same way as using blade irons with almost no forgiveness. If you have a center shafted putter, you can't get away with pushing it a bit; if you push it with a putter with a lot of offset, the putter face will be more square and the putt might go in anyway. I don't like that, I'd rather learn to hit my putts correctly for them to go in.

That's my philosophy, and my preferences when I putt. Good for you for finding something that works. It sure feels good finding that special something in the swing or the putting stroke that makes it work.

#10 kblakeney35

kblakeney35

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6562
  • Ebay ID:blaketrier

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:34 PM

View Postlidomkj, on Jul 17 2006, 02:20 PM, said:

I read somewhere that you should get the lie angle changed a little bit steeper, I think it was a quote from Chris Dimarco?

In his Golf Digest WITB, CD says his putter is bent 4 degrees upright.

-Kyle

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 jimnyc2000

jimnyc2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32644

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to do the claw grip? Thanks in advance!!!

#12 raehtz10

raehtz10

I'm Back!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5865
  • Ebay ID:raehtz10

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:57 PM

I use the paintbrush grip. You literally hold it like you would a paintbrush. Hold the grip in the flesh between the thumb and pointer, and then I just extend my fingers down the shaft.

#13 Smooth spin scott

Smooth spin scott

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8822
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

Love the claw, was pushing every putt right and was up watching Lessons from the Pros one night and thought that it looked interesting.... Next round I putted better than ever and sank everything!  My playing partners laughed at first until I started making bombs with this damn claw crip.  Keeps my stroke online and feel awkward at first, but I was able to adapt quickly.

jimnyc2000, google Claw putting grip and several things come up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors