Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Regular flex iron shafts for more distance?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BenSeattle

BenSeattle

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 610
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

Okay, I'm reluctantly admitting the the combination of age and injury have -- over the past five years -- taken my driver swing speed from 105 to about 95.  I can easily see the distance loss off the tee so I'm trying to get fit again, plug "power leaks" in my swing and tweak the driver.

BUT -- I've also lost distance in the irons.  What was once an easy 4-iron from 200 now only goes 180.  I've been playing with the same STIFF (graphite) shafts for the past five years but I'm wondering if going to a REGULAR flex and returning to Steel shafts will make any difference in regaining a few lost yards. I'm determined to regain my four handicap.

Comments, criticisms, advice or counsel?

Many thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 BenJ

BenJ

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69086
  • Ebay ID:bj-az
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

Depends on the shaft.  90-95 is all I swing my driver and in some shafts (Project X) I'm a regular and in others (Nippon) I'm a stiff.  What kind of graphite shafts do you have right now?
Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

#3 Bobbers

Bobbers

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68323
  • Ebay ID:bob122ate
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

The age old advice is go with the softest flex when in doubt.

#4 Polo-D

Polo-D

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13074

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

With a swing speed of 95 with the driver you should go and play with regular in all your clubs.
But why go to steel on irons? Keep playing with graphite, just go regular flex.

Good luck.

#5 divottool

divottool

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96475
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

If you can go to your local shop and see if they have the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer? Swing it and see what it suggests. I have to tell you this thing is pretty accurate and spot on. Not perfect but will give you better idea and suggests 3-4 shaft options and flex.

#6 Djay

Djay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42781
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:26 PM

View PostBenJ, on 17 October 2010 - 07:54 PM, said:

Depends on the shaft.  90-95 is all I swing my driver and in some shafts (Project X) I'm a regular and in others (Nippon) I'm a stiff.  What kind of graphite shafts do you have right now?

Watching this thread with much interest. Age and a bad ankle have also reduced me also to a 90 swing speed (driver). Yet, I found a pristine set of Srixon i701's that came with Nippon 950 in stiff yet I get adequate height and distance (for me).  Granted the Nippon's only weigh about 100 grams I think.

#7 golfnuthb

golfnuthb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34703
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:50 PM

To many variable to base it on swing speed alone. I agree with using the shaft optimizer. it measures SS, tempo, toe droop, shaft kick angle, and release factor...all from 1-10. It all depends on how you load the shaft and release through impact. If your a smooth swinger with slow tempo regular could help with distance.

The mizuno shaft optimizer tells you alot after just 3 swings and really does take the guess work out of it.
Titleist 913 D2
Cleveland Launcher Ti 15*
Adams Idea Pro 18*
MX 20  4-9  DG
Ping Scottsdale Tr
588 Ta rtg   45*  51*  56*  60* S300

#8 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• 12,623 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3286

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

I tried reg. in my irons after gaming stiff for a number of years. All that came of it is sky high shots and a loss of distance. Definitely go get fit.
Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 650 19, 22/Aldila Vs Proto 95x
Mizuno Mp 53 4-pw/PX 6.5 Satin Prototype
Mizuno Mp T5 52, 58/DG x100 (8i)
Odyssey Tank #7
WITB Link

#9 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98548
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

Custom fit is good advice.

I would consider  going to regular flex steel. Assuming you have stiff flex graphite now, going to regular flex graphite could lead to insconsistent ball flights and/or ballooning. I would consider some project X regular flex steel shafts for the irons.

For the driver and woods, consider regular flex over the stiff you play now. Work on timing and tempo. I would think about going 1" over length on the driver for added yardage.

#10 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98548
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

Oh, forgot to add, try some new balls. I would be interested to see how a Srixon Soft Feel or Z-Star worked out. Maybe some Noodles, Precept Laddies, etc... Softer balls is what I am getting at for the most part. Food for thought. Ball fit is something most of us don't give enough thought to in my opinion.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 generalbolg

generalbolg

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59305
  • Ebay ID:generalbolg
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

you should go get custom fit and re-evaluated. a lot of it depends on how much your launch conditions changed. im guessing you arent getting the height or the spin you need on irons. even if you still need a stiff shaft, might be nice to get something a little lighter or graphite to gain back some of that distance...

#12 BenSeattle

BenSeattle

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 610
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:21 AM

All good advice and I appreciate it.  Right now the shafts I'm hitting are the stiff stock graphite in my TaylorMade RAC LT's. (95 grams pehaps?) Frankly, they've never felt "just right."  I can sense the clubhead but not the shaft in between and it's a slightly less-than-ideal sensation at impact.  Solid but "soft."   For months now, I've thought of going back to steel, although something lighter than the usual DG 300 stiff.  DG SL, maybe.  The advice about getting fitted makes perfect sense, so I suppose that will be my first course of action.  My tempo is Ernie Els smooth so regulars might be an answer although I'm certain it won't be in graphite.  I'll keep this thread posted.

Regards,

Ben

#13 WichitaDuffer

WichitaDuffer

Just a duffer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102020
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

View PostPolo-D, on 17 October 2010 - 08:18 PM, said:

With a swing speed of 95 with the driver you should go and play with regular in all your clubs.
But why go to steel on irons? Keep playing with graphite, just go regular flex.

Good luck.

Really? 95 ss in the driver = regular flex for the woods as well? Wouldn't that mess with his control/accuracy?

Yes getting it fit is important. That Mizuno shaft optimizer is no joke, when I did mine it spit out PX 5.0 as my #1 choice, put them in my current irons and got better control and accuracy out of them. Can't wait to get an actual set of big boy irons and try them out with PX's.

#14 BenJ

BenJ

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69086
  • Ebay ID:bj-az

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:29 PM

View PostBenSeattle, on 18 October 2010 - 12:21 AM, said:

All good advice and I appreciate it.  Right now the shafts I'm hitting are the stiff stock graphite in my TaylorMade RAC LT's. (95 grams pehaps?) Frankly, they've never felt "just right."  I can sense the clubhead but not the shaft in between and it's a slightly less-than-ideal sensation at impact.  Solid but "soft."   For months now, I've thought of going back to steel, although something lighter than the usual DG 300 stiff.  DG SL, maybe.  The advice about getting fitted makes perfect sense, so I suppose that will be my first course of action.  My tempo is Ernie Els smooth so regulars might be an answer although I'm certain it won't be in graphite.  I'll keep this thread posted.

Regards,

Ben

I highly recommend taking a look at Nippon shafts.  I just bought a set of X-Forged irons with the 1050GH stiff after randomly buying a 48* Scratch wedge with the same shaft.  I had forgotten how "graphite like" and active feeling the Nippons are.  They're perfect for smoother swingers that may not get down on the ball hard enough.
Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

#15 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1580
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

Two things. One, as others have said, is to get "fit" properly. Secondly, I wouldn't worry about distance with the irons as they are for accuracy. Think of them as surgical instruments instead of a sledge hammer. If your loss of distance has created a gap in your arsenal, get a hybrid or higher lofted fairway wood to fill that gap.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5*
Callaway X2-Hot 3w/ X-Hot 5w
Callaway X-Hot 4 and 5 Hybrids
Callaway X2-Hot Irons  6-AW
Callaway MD2 Tourr Grind 54/58
Ping B-60 Putter

#16 mp69

mp69

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115266
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:49 PM

Well, one thing that is true is that if you go with more flex in your shaft, you will gain distance, but distance isn't the only thing that is affected by changing your shaft.  Definitely stick with graphite shafts to keep it lighter so you can still swing it faster with the lighter shafts, plus it has better shock absorption so there is less strain on your body.  You could even go down even to a ladies flex shaft and hit it the further than any other flex, but there is a consequence of consistency and accuracy in your shots.  Using a flex that is too soft will give you less control of your ball which is too important to mess with in my opinion.  All stiff flexes, all regular flexes, etc. are all different with each company and different shaft types they have available, so you could still stay in a stiff but made for your swing a little better, or even a regular shaft that is a little more stiffer than others.  One thing that is great is if you get Golfsmith's clubmaking magazine which is free if you ask them to send it, will show you what the swing speed for each shaft is since just knowing the flex is sometimes not good enough because its a little too general.  That way you can get a good idea of what kind of shafts to look into without compromising your consistency and accuracy because hitting it longer, but it pushing and pulling because you have too soft a flex is totally not worth it.  Your distances can also be affected since a softer flex makes it more whippy for a faster swing, and will sometimes make it go further and sometimes not because your swing combined with softer flex needs to be timed right to take advantage of the softer flex.  Hope it helps you to get a better start in direction of your shaft selections.

#17 johnnythunders

johnnythunders

Major Winner

• 1,131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36861
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:50 AM

My expeience is that I've tried for years to play regulars because my swing speed is slow in the 85-95, I don't really know anymore because it is only one factor and not the most important for me.

I'm no expert but I've read all the old Dynacraft DFSI info (now Heirko) and Wishon information on club fitting. I've gone to a number of "fittings" but I knew more than the majority of guys doing the fitting. They always say regular. My swing is short and fast. I hit regulars left, then duck hook right and high. I've switched to stiff and I hit them straighter and farther. Take two clubs same brand same shaft, one stiff and one regular.

Go hit them in a Launch monitor or even a simulator as a start but the real test is outside at the range.

Simulators and trackman is one thing the course is where it counts.

Cobra Encore ZL ust chrome 50 reg
Mizuno JPX 825 tour x or recoil 95
Callaway X2 Hot 4/7 Diamana Blue 63
Callaway x2 5/6 hybrid Tour Blue
1993 Merit SW, betti bb32 counter

#18 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4664

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

As golfnut said swing speed is just one variable. I know seniors with 75mph swing speeds that play stiff flex and I know guys with swings speeds over 100mph that play regular flex.

Too many golfers play the wrong flex.
Hey...be nice.

#19 againstthegrain

againstthegrain

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13492
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:35 AM

How much do the graphite shafts weigh?  I tested some 80 gram Fibersteel last month and I could not feel the club head and had no idea where the ball was going to end up.  Nippon 950 stiff sounds about right for you....maybe softstepped once, but get an outdoor fitting w LM.

#20 woodequip

woodequip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17380
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

If you go back to steel, you may want to try something a little less tip stiff.  If you go with regular Rifles (not PX), you can go 5.0 that is considered "firm". These would give you consistancy but also some kick from the shaft..

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 hi voltage

hi voltage

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19816

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

View PostSean2, on 19 October 2010 - 07:16 AM, said:

As golfnut said swing speed is just one variable. I know seniors with 75mph swing speeds that play stiff flex and I know guys with swings speeds over 100mph that play regular flex.

This is me. I swing the driver about 109. I have R300 in all my irons and Aldila NV regular in my hybrid and 3 wood. The only shaft that is stiff is my driver. I can tell a huge difference in distance, trajectory and feel. The macho thing is stiff shafts but I can't remember the last time somebody asked my what shafts I have in my clubs. Get fit by a reputable fitter and trust the results.

#22 albatrosser

albatrosser

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73432
GolfWRX Likes : 541

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

I'll give you another example... I'm 50, have a relatively slow swingspeed (95-99) with the driver.  I was fitted for regular flex a couple of years ago and conceded to play them.  It was horrible.  I couldn't correct anything because it was never consistent.  I pulled the DG-R300 and put back in DG-S300 and voila... everything was "good" again.  I take the club back slowly, but I come through hard and quick, and pretty steep as well.  I've tried PX 5.5's two or three times, but never liked the feel.  On a whim I tried a set of Flighted Rifles.  Wow.  I've been missing out for years.  I still get the kick I get from the DGS300's, but the ball flight is quite a bit lower than the DG S300's are and even more lower than the PX 5.5's.

Graphite in my woods are all dependant on the manufacturer.  Why they all can't agree to follow a certain range of CPM's for a particular flex is beyond me.  I just know the best result for me comes from a shaft that's somewhere between 258 and 264 cpm's.

Regular vs. Stiff has VERY little to do with swing speed.
T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

#23 golfnuthb

golfnuthb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34703
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

View Posthi voltage, on 19 October 2010 - 05:06 PM, said:

View PostSean2, on 19 October 2010 - 07:16 AM, said:

This is me. I swing the driver about 109. I have R300 in all my irons and Aldila NV regular in my hybrid and 3 wood. The only shaft that is stiff is my driver. I can tell a huge difference in distance, trajectory and feel. The macho thing is stiff shafts but I can't remember the last time somebody asked my what shafts I have in my clubs. Get fit by a reputable fitter and trust the results.

A couple of years ago I switched from years of DG S300's to R300's in an attempt to get back a little distance and softer feel. I got both but the distance is negligible most of the time and less so in to the wind which is when the reality of softer shafts rear their ugly heads imo. I only play regular in the irons and stiff in wedges and woods.My driver swing is a c-note give or take a couple mph. For the last few months Ive thought of going back to S300's.

Then A couple weeks ago I tried the optimizer and had these results:
83 club speed -6 iron
6  tempo
5  toe down
5  kick angle
4  release factor

The 3 shaft recommendations:
DG S300
KBS Tour stiff
PX 5.5
Not rocket science but that shaft optimizer sure seems to know whats going on during the swing. Very sensitive to the way we load the shaft. Swing speed is only 1 variable.
Titleist 913 D2
Cleveland Launcher Ti 15*
Adams Idea Pro 18*
MX 20  4-9  DG
Ping Scottsdale Tr
588 Ta rtg   45*  51*  56*  60* S300

#24 tctou

tctou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113809
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:19 AM

View Postalbatrosser, on 19 October 2010 - 05:20 PM, said:

I'll give you another example... I'm 50, have a relatively slow swingspeed (95-99) with the driver.  I was fitted for regular flex a couple of years ago and conceded to play them.  It was horrible.  I couldn't correct anything because it was never consistent.  I pulled the DG-R300 and put back in DG-S300 and voila... everything was "good" again.  I take the club back slowly, but I come through hard and quick, and pretty steep as well.  I've tried PX 5.5's two or three times, but never liked the feel.  On a whim I tried a set of Flighted Rifles.  Wow.  I've been missing out for years.  I still get the kick I get from the DGS300's, but the ball flight is quite a bit lower than the DG S300's are and even more lower than the PX 5.5's.

Graphite in my woods are all dependant on the manufacturer.  Why they all can't agree to follow a certain range of CPM's for a particular flex is beyond me.  I just know the best result for me comes from a shaft that's somewhere between 258 and 264 cpm's.

Regular vs. Stiff has VERY little to do with swing speed.

When you changed to the Flighted Rifle did you stay at the 5.5 flex?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors