Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Who makes the best rain gear

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 CT10

CT10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93225
  • Ebay ID:ladiesdayblues
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

Galvin Green are very good but sizing is an issue, usually run small. What i would say about most of the companies over here in the UK  is that their products are all getting slimmer fitting styles. I am currently struggling to get a jacket that is 100% comfortable size wise.

Used to wear FJ xl would have fitted tried XXL on yesterday and it was like a baselayer!!!!!
XL in Sunderland I now need XXL!!!  

Before anyone else says it I am not getting bigger the jackets are getting smaller!! lol!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 mister2cool

mister2cool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91010
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

View Postkevch25, on 07 October 2010 - 01:36 PM, said:

View Postmister2cool, on 05 October 2010 - 01:49 PM, said:

I have the Adidas 3 way convertible ClimaProof jacket that I got from GG a few years ago for an insane price and it is absolutely THE BEST rain jacket money can buy. This is the one with 3 rubber strips on the shoulders to prevent bag straps from slipping.

I have worn it in many occasions with heavy down pours and water just beads off like on glass, yet the fabric is very soft and doesn't make any annoying sound when moving. The best part is the inner removable vest that hugs to your body. It keeps a gap between the outer shell & your body so you don't feel the cold rain, AND it holds the front of the jacket in when you bend forward to hit your shot, so no bulging where your arms and hands need to be.

I also worn this at Barclays when I did volunteering and I was mistaken for tour player a few times.

No doubt that this jacket was crazy expensive retailing at $300. But I have to say it is the best if you have the money to spend.

Posted Image

I'm interested in trying to get my hands on the adidas 3-way convertible climaproof storm fit jacket.  I realize it's a few seasons old and it's near impossible to find any retailer or even ebayer that has a Small!  Any idea where to pick one up or does anyone have a Small they'd like to sell? :)

Here is the newer model of this from TGW. Doesn't look like it comes in size Small though. Personally I like the older design better, but I am not about to shell out $280 to find out if I was wrong. :)
Posted Image

View PostTW1973, on 09 October 2010 - 01:10 AM, said:

What everyone needs to understand is how most of these so called waterproofs are made.

Basically everything that is not Gore Tex is a PU (polyurethane) membrane combined with a DWR (durable water repelency) coating. There are varying levels of DWR and the problem with a PU membrane is that you always face a repelency vs breathability compromise. The thicker you make it, the more waterproof but it then becomes less breathable. The manufacturers spread this stuff like butter on toast and then rate the product with a mm rating based on the membrane thickness.

Polyurethane membranes have inconsistent pore size which make the products performance inconsistent. Another issue PU garments face is their extreme volatility to solvents. If your non- Gore jacket comes into contact with mosquito spray (solvent) for instance, it will break down the membrane to a point where it will leak almost immediately.

The PU membrane will also crack and fray when stretched and break down when washed adding to the usual short effective life span of any jacket that is not Gore Tex.

I see value in inexpensive garments with a PU membrane for short term or light use water repelency. the price of these items usually allow you to own a few different colors or styles but if you want a real waterproof, you need to fork out the $ for Gore Tex.

The most useless category in outerwear is expensive (over $200) jackets that use a polyurethane membrane. This includes FJ, Sun Mountain, Cross, Sun Ice, Adidas, Mizuno, Callaway, Proquip, etc. etc. etc.
If you notice, companies like Zero and Sun Ice have a Gore license and sell a Gore Tex product however they market and push their proprietary fabrics that are a PU membrane because the margin they can make is much higher.

These items usually have a high style content but if you play in regular or heavy rain, the product will fail in a short period of time. They just bank on the fact that no one follows up with the 1-3 year warranty these companies issue at purchase.

I am sure you have lots of expertise in fabric and know what you are talking about. However, it might be too quick to call all these other proprietary fabrics "useless" when many of us have already demonstrated that they have worked perfectly as expected. Surely no one can argue the performance of Gore Tex. It has been the ultimate "Buy it and Forget about it" rain protection. Because of it's higher cost, or license fee, companies will keep trying to come up with cheaper alternatives. That's how competition works, isn't it? Hopefully someone can come up with a new fabric that can end the domination of Gore Tex and we can all benefit from it.

BTW, my old Mizuno rain gears that were Gore Tex didn't hold up nearly as well as the Adidas. It required constant ironing to reseal the fabric.

Edited by mister2cool, 10 November 2010 - 11:58 AM.

#63 GolfLover81

GolfLover81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210107

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I have the tourflex suit from proquip usa (www.proquipgolfusa.com) and it is fantastic!  I had two tournaments this past summer/fall in which it rained the entire weekend.  I didn't get wet at all.  I felt extremely protected as the combination of my footjoy rain gloves and the proquip suit kept me dry and focused on the golf...not the weather.  I strongly suggest checking out proquip.  It is what the Euro Ryder team wears.

#64 toddnt

toddnt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8488
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

FJ, nuff said!

#65 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 817

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

The new Puma "storm cell" outerwear looks really good that is getting ready to come out.

#66 tbowles411

tbowles411

Sandra Gal is German from the nose up...

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 17,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1266

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Sun Mountain.  Done and done.

#67 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 08 November 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

Their gear is kind of boring...

#68 tbowles411

tbowles411

Sandra Gal is German from the nose up...

• 17,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1266

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 08 November 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Boring and good!

#69 longbal30

longbal30

Major Winner

• 2,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41632
  • Ebay ID:longbal30
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Best I have ever seen, was the adidas suit from 3 years ago. I remember it cost about $400, but it was awesome. I never had the pleasure of owning it but one of my regular friends owns it. He never gets wet.

Figured you could find it on the bay, but I never can. But I keep looking.

Edited by longbal30, 08 November 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#70 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 08 November 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 08 November 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Boring and good!

The boring outweighs the good IMO.  I know it's just a rainsuit but I like it to have a little flash to it.  You might as well buy one of the $80 pack light suits instead of that one...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 Emmett

Emmett

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130417
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

Sweet wife got me a Zero Restriction rain jacket for Christmas.  It is the Tour Series GoreTex paclit.  Nice lightweight good fit but is LOUD with a plastic sound.  Anyone else had this problem or know a better jacket?  Thanks.

#72 golfcaddy1969

golfcaddy1969

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215357
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

I just got a new Mizino rain jacket and it is awesome. I don't like thick, plastic like jackets at all. Mizino fits me close so I can swing freely. For $80 it is a home run. Now at retail it is $150 but I purchased it online.

#73 Snufles

Snufles

Hugz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114858
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostOpusX20, on 04 October 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

I have some ProQuip, Nike, Foot-Joy and ZR.  But, most of the time I wear Marmot Precip gear.  It is made for lightweight hiking/camping, but functions as well or better than any of my other golf specific rain gear.  And it's relatively cheap.

+1

Love the Marmot

#74 Snufles

Snufles

Hugz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114858
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

View Posttoddnt, on 08 November 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

FJ, nuff said!

Feels like I am wearing a wet tent, no thanks!

Edited by Snufles, 01 January 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#75 thatboygaule

thatboygaule

#JLindeberg

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139920
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Galvin Green Pants , J Lindeberg Jacket

@RichardGaule
Titleist
WITB Link

#76 golfdad907

golfdad907

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24061
  • Ebay ID:golfdad_907
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostDoNDoN, on 04 October 2010 - 08:01 AM, said:

I have had all of the brands mentioned above including Proquip and Sun Mountain.  So far my favorite has been Sunice.

Considering I still have my MacGregor Gore-Tex rain pants from 20 years ago, I'd be tempted to say MG; however, I think for true waterproof and wind stopping, anything Gore-Tex is better than 'coatings'....I decided on Sunice as well, the fabric is very quiet and very well made.  I tried about every 'major' brand before deciding.
Optiforce 440 Diamana B Series 60
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
XHot Pro Hybrids 20/23 Accra Shafts
Diablo Forged 5-W KBS Tour
X Forged 52 and 58
Odyssey Proto IX  #9 HT

#77 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

Major Winner

• 1,413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostEmmett, on 01 January 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

Sweet wife got me a Zero Restriction rain jacket for Christmas.  It is the Tour Series GoreTex paclit.  Nice lightweight good fit but is LOUD with a plastic sound.  Anyone else had this problem or know a better jacket?  Thanks.

that's been the knock on ZR for years...they are LOUD !!!

#78 NTE7

NTE7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150725

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Galvin Green for me! Really expensive though! :(

#79 MCCA

MCCA

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2694
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

For me Sunice, I own FJ,Zero Sunice is really good

#80 StreakyMcGee

StreakyMcGee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231935

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:16 AM

I'd go w/ Patagonia. It's not a golf brand but it is high quality & looks good.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#81 Mr. Jones

Mr. Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14731
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostStreakyMcGee, on 27 February 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

HANDS DOWN NO ONE COMES CLOSE TO ZERO RESTRICTION OUTERWEAR... best to play in and also looks great, golf rain gear needs to be for golfer's their products let you swing totally unimpeeded
ZERO #1 truly enough said

#82 TheMackDaddy

TheMackDaddy

Butyraceous

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128677
  • Ebay ID:capebretoner
GolfWRX Likes : 779

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Galvin green, it isn't even a contest. Expensive but worth it and waaaaaay more comfortable than any US manufacturers.

#83 stuart11

stuart11

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157571
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Agree with galvin green.  Waterproof trousers are amazing and comfortable.  Jacket great too. Yes they are expensive but worth it.

#84 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

View Postgolfdad907, on 01 January 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

View PostDoNDoN, on 04 October 2010 - 08:01 AM, said:

I have had all of the brands mentioned above including Proquip and Sun Mountain.  So far my favorite has been Sunice.

Considering I still have my MacGregor Gore-Tex rain pants from 20 years ago, I'd be tempted to say MG; however, I think for true waterproof and wind stopping, anything Gore-Tex is better than 'coatings'....I decided on Sunice as well, the fabric is very quiet and very well made.  I tried about every 'major' brand before deciding.

I have to agree about the Sunice. I have a Sunice Hurricane Goretex rainsuit with hat and it all works great and actually seems like it was designed by people that play golf. It's quiet, easy to move in and totally waterproof. I like the little extra features that I'd never see on a Dryjoy suit (little flaps at the sleeve end that channels water away from your hands, towel inside pocket on a removeable strap to wipe your hands or clean ball, adjustable elastic strap inside hat to prevent blowing off on windy days, club wiper built into pants ankle). Play in the rain a few times and you see the value of these features. By the way I also have an old MacGregor Tourney Goretex rain suit from years past and it still protects like new - just getting a few frays here and there but otherwise perfect.

Edited by cristphoto, 28 February 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#85 lpistorio

lpistorio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 232763

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Do any of you find it annoying/hassle to put on rain pants with your shoes on? Especially when the rain is coming quick?

#86 StreakyMcGee

StreakyMcGee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231935

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Posted Yesterday, 02:40 PM
StreakyMcGee, on 27 February 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

HANDS DOWN NO ONE COMES CLOSE TO ZERO RESTRICTION OUTERWEAR... best to play in and also looks great, golf rain gear needs to be for golfer's their products let you swing totally unimpeeded
ZERO #1 truly enough said

I agree golfers need gear that will not impede their movement. However, golf companies are not the ONLY companies who have managed to design clothing that doesn't restrict movement. Patagonia makes gear for outdoor activites including skiing & rock climbing. You obviously don't want to have restricted movement while you're 2000 feet above the ground. I realize that the golf swing is a different motion, however, full range of motion can be achieved outside the golf industry. I wear Patagonia amongst other brands without experiencing a restrictive feel. But I guess to each their own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors