Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Who makes the best rain gear

85 replies to this topic

#31 weakright

weakright

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4440
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

+1 for ProQuip

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 ia hawkeye fan

ia hawkeye fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95671
  • Ebay ID:hawkeyefan563
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

not get get off topic, a golf pro told me and i also tried it.  Is to go buy some scotch gard water proofing spray and put some on your rain chothes.  
my nikes always got soaked when it rained.  after i sprayed my nikes with the scotch gard water proofing spray, its been nice and dry.  Scoth gard water proofing spray is only like 4.50 at wally world.

so i have to say i like nikes the best for rain gear

#33 TML

TML

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8692
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

View Postmister2cool, on 05 October 2010 - 01:49 PM, said:

I have the Adidas 3 way convertible ClimaProof jacket that I got from GG a few years ago for an insane price and it is absolutely THE BEST rain jacket money can buy. This is the one with 3 rubber strips on the shoulders to prevent bag straps from slipping.

I have worn it in many occasions with heavy down pours and water just beads off like on glass, yet the fabric is very soft and doesn't make any annoying sound when moving. The best part is the inner removable vest that hugs to your body. It keeps a gap between the outer shell & your body so you don't feel the cold rain, AND it holds the front of the jacket in when you bend forward to hit your shot, so no bulging where your arms and hands need to be.

I also worn this at Barclays when I did volunteering and I was mistaken for tour player a few times.

No doubt that this jacket was crazy expensive retailing at $300. But I have to say it is the best if you have the money to spend.

Posted Image
fully agree.  I have the same jacket and it is my ultimate wet weather choice for Bandon Dunes.

#34 ssp

ssp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80259
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

I don't understand by they don't all put the 2-way zipper on.  ZR does.  I find this an extremely useful feature.

#35 blindwillie

blindwillie

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50691
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

View PostTML, on 06 October 2010 - 09:42 AM, said:

I have the Adidas 3 way convertible ClimaProof jacket that I got from GG a few years ago for an insane price and it is absolutely THE BEST rain jacket money can buy. This is the one with 3 rubber strips on the shoulders to prevent bag straps from slipping.

I have worn it in many occasions with heavy down pours and water just beads off like on glass, yet the fabric is very soft and doesn't make any annoying sound when moving. The best part is the inner removable vest that hugs to your body. It keeps a gap between the outer shell & your body so you don't feel the cold rain, AND it holds the front of the jacket in when you bend forward to hit your shot, so no bulging where your arms and hands need to be.

I also worn this at Barclays when I did volunteering and I was mistaken for tour player a few times.

No doubt that this jacket was crazy expensive retailing at $300. But I have to say it is the best if you have the money to spend.

Posted Image
fully agree.  I have the same jacket and it is my ultimate wet weather choice for Bandon Dunes.

Agree as well.  2 years now and its just as waterproof as when I first wore it.  Also like that it doesnt make you overheat on warm rainy days

#36 surefire

surefire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69700
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

Yet another vote for Galvin Green, not found anything better yet, so it's all I will use.

On a side note, their insula warm tops are also pretty good.

#37 mister2cool

mister2cool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91010
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

View Postia hawkeye fan, on 06 October 2010 - 09:38 AM, said:

not get get off topic, a golf pro told me and i also tried it.  Is to go buy some scotch gard water proofing spray and put some on your rain chothes.  
my nikes always got soaked when it rained.  after i sprayed my nikes with the scotch gard water proofing spray, its been nice and dry.  Scoth gard water proofing spray is only like 4.50 at wally world.

so i have to say i like nikes the best for rain gear

LOL, your Nike gets soaked before Scotch Guard but you like it the best? Posted Image

By the way, I learned this from an older golfer whose 15 yr old rain jacket still beads water like it was brand new:
Iron the jacket in low heat would reseal the threads and make it work like new again!!!

PS PS: just noticed there are many, I mean MANY rain jackets in $300+ range, so I guess the Adidas one wasn't so crazily priced after all.

#38 dalehead

dalehead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33032
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

In my personal experience, Zero Restriction.

Based on what we saw at the Ryder Cup, if I was in the market I'd put Proquip on my short list to check out.

#39 Redhaze737

Redhaze737

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 482 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22931
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

Posted Image

Best rain jacket I have ever owned. Feels like you aren't even wearing it. Plus you can take all or part of the sleeves off, which is nice in Hawaii where it can be raining but still very warm.

#40 chipandaputt

chipandaputt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24373
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

Have never had a single problem with any Zero Restriction gear - would highly recommend.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 Mizuno.78

Mizuno.78

PGA Pro

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22371
  • Ebay ID:golfer.jack
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

Galvin Green is the only waterproof I would consider. Just remember they are european fit so may need to order a size up. I have had my jacket over 3 years now and it still doesn't leak. If people want it contact me and I may help send it over.

#42 OCHack

OCHack

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46115
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:26 PM

I have the same Adidas rain jacket as well.  Great price on the bay for a little over a Benjamin.

#43 Chinese_PitchOut

Chinese_PitchOut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110158

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

Zero Restriction and FOOT JOY. I'm surprised at how few are mentioning FJ, they make excellent rain gear, and not as expensive as ZR

#44 kwakmania

kwakmania

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96925
  • Ebay ID:Trektom

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:12 AM

another one for Galvin Green.  Superb kit.  Sound advice regarding the sizing though.  Usually works out that you go for an XL if you normally wear a L.  I'm pretty sure you can find their sizing chart very easily with a little google magic.

#45 yoshiod9

yoshiod9

Copper? Nice...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57946
  • Handicap:6.6
  • Ebay ID:yoshiod9
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

I've got a Nike rain jacket from a few years ago that is kinda rubbery on the inside.  BEST waterproof coat I've ever owned for golf.  It's light, form-fitting (I don't necessarily like that part as a big guy), warm, and breathes well.  Great purchase for only $150 or so.

#46 kevch25

kevch25

Go Horns!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1722
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

Posted Image

I'm interested in trying to get my hands on the adidas 3-way convertible climaproof storm fit jacket.  I realize it's a few seasons old and it's near impossible to find any retailer or even ebayer that has a Small!  Any idea where to pick one up or does anyone have a Small they'd like to sell? :)
TM R1 Oban Kiyoshi Gold
TM Stage 2 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi Purple
TM SLDR 21*
TM SLDR 4-PW
Scotty 2.6 34''
Mizuno T11 50*, 54* & 58*

#47 TW1973

TW1973

TW1973

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10958

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:10 AM

What everyone needs to understand is how most of these so called waterproofs are made.

Basically everything that is not Gore Tex is a PU (polyurethane) membrane combined with a DWR (durable water repelency) coating. There are varying levels of DWR and the problem with a PU membrane is that you always face a repelency vs breathability compromise. The thicker you make it, the more waterproof but it then becomes less breathable. The manufacturers spread this stuff like butter on toast and then rate the product with a mm rating based on the membrane thickness.

Polyurethane membranes have inconsistent pore size which make the products performance inconsistent. Another issue PU garments face is their extreme volatility to solvents. If your non- Gore jacket comes into contact with mosquito spray (solvent) for instance, it will break down the membrane to a point where it will leak almost immediately.

The PU membrane will also crack and fray when stretched and break down when washed adding to the usual short effective life span of any jacket that is not Gore Tex.

I see value in inexpensive garments with a PU membrane for short term or light use water repelency. the price of these items usually allow you to own a few different colors or styles but if you want a real waterproof, you need to fork out the $$ for Gore Tex.

The most useless category in outerwear is expensive (over $200) jackets that use a polyurethane membrane. This includes FJ, Sun Mountain, Cross, Sun Ice, Adidas, Mizuno, Callaway, Proquip, etc. etc. etc.
If you notice, companies like Zero and Sun Ice have a Gore license and sell a Gore Tex product however they market and push their proprietary fabrics that are a PU membrane because the margin they can make is much higher.

These items usually have a high style content but if you play in regular or heavy rain, the product will fail in a short period of time. They just bank on the fact that no one follows up with the 1-3 year warranty these companies issue at purchase.

#48 Joe Duffer

Joe Duffer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28570
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:37 AM

Now that was a great post... THANKS !

#49 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:18 AM

View Postchipandaputt, on 06 October 2010 - 07:13 PM, said:

Have never had a single problem with any Zero Restriction gear - would highly recommend.
+1! Great quality and made in usa!

#50 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

The best all around water proof rain gear is and will always be ultra light mountainering gear; Mountain Hardwear, Marmont, Pantagonia, etc. The new lines are miles superior to any golf brand and can be had for far less money.

Recomendation: Mountain Hardwear Stimulus jacket and Cohesion pants, ultra light and 100% waterproof...$400 out the door, maybe better...BB

Edited by Big Ben, 09 October 2010 - 12:29 PM.

Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 thr33_putt

thr33_putt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100394

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

+1 for ZR

#52 Soeren

Soeren

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31117
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

-from a (very happy  :yahoo: ) euro:

Galvin Green and Abacus

Galvin Green is 1 up for being absolutely water proof (and that comes with a lifetime guarentee)
Abacus Pitch Full Stretch is 1 up being basicly as water proof (but with only a 2 year guarentee) and being very stretchy and very breathable.

Both offer great looking rain gear that's designed specifically for golf.
http://www.galvingre...vingreen.com/   http://www.abacus-outdoor.com/

But, most importantly - it all very much comes down to how you use and handle your rain gear. First of all, for your rain gear to feel truly breathable, you need to wear the right gear underneith. All layers must be able to transport moisture outwards. Get a set of compression undergarments (Galvin Green, Mizuno BioGear, Adidas, Under Armour etc.) that fits firmly, and make sure your middle layer isn't made of cotton (which will only serve to absorb all moisture and keep it there).
When you wash it, make sure you use detergents that are made for breathable garments (http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/index.php) and never ever add fabric softener. Tumble dry if your dryer has a 'synthetics' programme.

#53 Deepy

Deepy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95329
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

Any experiences with Under Armour rain/wind gear? At their page most of the golf shirts are called "water resistant" whereas they are marked with the "waterproof" in the corresponding technologies tab.

Big Question: will they keep you dry during a rainy round?

Example: Men's Elements 1/4 Zip or Men's Matchplay II 1/4 Zip or Men's UA Wind Storm 1/4 Windshirt

#54 wsomol

wsomol

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34637

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:45 AM

I'm looking for some rain pants but I have stocky legs.  I've seen Sun Mountain pants where you can shorten the hems via snaps.  Anyone know if the other makers have similar options?  I haven't see that on the Nikes, Mizunos, or Zero Restrictions. . .

#55 bashworth23

bashworth23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103118
  • Ebay ID:bashworth23

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:49 AM

View Postwsomol, on 04 November 2010 - 12:45 AM, said:

I'm looking for some rain pants but I have stocky legs.  I've seen Sun Mountain pants where you can shorten the hems via snaps.  Anyone know if the other makers have similar options?  I haven't see that on the Nikes, Mizunos, or Zero Restrictions. . .

did you catch the ryder cup this year?

#56 wsomol

wsomol

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34637

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:21 AM

View Postbashworth23, on 04 November 2010 - 12:49 AM, said:

View Postwsomol, on 04 November 2010 - 12:45 AM, said:

did you catch the ryder cup this year?

Aye, that's partly why I'm asking if other companies offer it. . .

#57 fullstop

fullstop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116610

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

View PostRickKimbrell, on 04 October 2010 - 07:35 PM, said:

I noticed that after the RC (Sun Mountain) rain gear failed, a bunch of the US players had on Proquip rain pants.  Never owned any so can't comment on it.

That's because they went and bought the new wetsuits from the merchandise tent and as Proquip were the official suppliers to the European team, that's all they would have sold.

Personally, I have a pair of Proquip Silktouch bottoms. They were pretty pricey and have really nice material, but can get a bit heavy when it's really wet. I bought a Galvin Green top about a year ago and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

#58 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

May I threadjack for just a minute here and ask a question?  Who makes the rain shorts the guy was wearing on the Big Break the other night?

#59 daneos

daneos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116874

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:45 AM

FJ. Period.

#60 oregongolf

oregongolf

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

I just picked up a Columbia rain jacket based on some of the recommendations here. The weather has been super ugly here in Portland and the Columbia stuff is fantastic.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors