Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putting from open stance

48 replies to this topic

#1 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

Looking for help (suggestions) to fixing my tendency to "push" putts right when setting up w/ open stance...(think of Raymond Floyd standing upright and open to the line).
Opening up is most comfortable, and I believe its because i am right eye dominant. Also, my path tends toward inside-out and i struggle to get the face back to square and down-the line.
Add this to the equation:  I make my share of 6'-10' putts (for par) but struggle w/ birdie putts inside 20'  while holing more than my share of longer birdie putts.

Certainly some of this is mental as the "push" flaw occurs only sporadically.

all help appreciated!

Tour Preferred MB 6-PW Aerotech i110
MB 49* &Ping Tour 56* SF 125
DHY 27* Super Pro 23* Steelfiber i110
Rescue 19* i110 Jetspeed TS 14* RIP 70b
SLDR 12* - Speeder 57 X
Spider Ghost C/S

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Verlin

Verlin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76385
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

It works for me. I flare my right foot too (aim toe towards target somewhat).

#3 Fontona19

Fontona19

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107912
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

Using a heal shafted putter will help the face close at impact. That should help with "pushing" the ball.

#4 Scaldy

Scaldy

Professional Putter Association

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113881
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:22 AM

9/10 when I push a putt it's because I moved my head early. I try to keep everything as quiet as possible and focus on just making a "good stroke". I haven't played with opening my stance.

View Postscfan, on 30 September 2010 - 10:09 PM, said:

Using a heal shafted putter will help the face close at impact. That should help with "pushing" the ball.

#5 mauiatheart

mauiatheart

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35915
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:55 AM

I do it, but mainly because I seem to see the line better.

#6 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:06 AM

Jack Nicklaus putted from a slightly open stance so it must be ok to use ..... I also used an open putting stance for awhile.  I figured if it worked for me on chips from off the green, it would work for putting.  And it did.  it just felt very comfortable.  But eventually, I moved back to a square stance.  My thought was that the fewer variables I had in my setup, alignment, and stroke, the more consistent I would be.  Especially inside 10 feet.

#7 The Beagle

The Beagle

That's right - T-Rex in a cowboy hat

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99473

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:02 AM

I know Ben Crenshaw putts with an open stance - only slightly though, says it helps him see the line of the putt more easily.

Edited by The Beagle, 01 October 2010 - 07:03 AM.

#8 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:15 AM

I prefer an open stance, a relatively upright posture and an inside to down-the-line stroke.  My shoulders, however, remain square to my target line.  I use a heel shafted blade that encourages a nice release of the blade.  (i.e. Crenshaw and Mickelson)  I think an open stance allows those of us who are right eye dominant to see the line better.  It also seems to free me up, getting my body out of the way so that the putter can swing nicely.  I focus on aiming the blade and then build my stance around that.  

It may seem a little unusual at first, especially on left to right breaking putts where your stance will be aligned way left of whtat you might be used to.  When you open up your stance it may also seem as if the ball is more back in your stance.  Imagine a plumb line hanging down from your chin and position the ball just forward of that.  The key is to feel comfortable and relaxed and just let the putter swing down your intended line.

I will also alter my ball position for short breaking putts.  I put the ball slightly back in my stance for right to left putts, and slightly forward for left to right putts.  This really helps to prevent the low side miss in either situation.

#9 Fontona19

Fontona19

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107912
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

I agree that you have to do what is most comfortable. As long as you can reproduce the same set up, and stroke, you shouldn't have a problem. Keep it consistent.

#10 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

I have just recently been putting with a slightly open stance, and I think it helps free up my stroke somewhat.  I think i probably used to get bogged down with being completely square to the line, and lost some focus on the more important aspects of the putt (like speed).  A slightly open stance allows me to see the line better, and allows more of a feel-based putting stroke.  

I play regularly with a buddy who putts with a 45-or-wider open stance.  He putts lights-out.  Interestingly enough, just watching him line up a putt within 5' gives the impression that it's going to go in -- and then it usually does.  If only the open aspect made putts go in, then I guess everyone would putt that way (but they don't).  So, his success isn't due solely to the open stance, but it obviously helps HIM make a ton of putts.  Opening up a little has helped me, too.  

Give it a whirl!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

View Postscfan, on 01 October 2010 - 10:36 AM, said:

I agree that you have to do what is most comfortable. As long as you can reproduce the same set up, and stroke, you shouldn't have a problem. Keep it consistent.

That's why I moved back to square.  I wasn't confident that I could reproduce the same setup each time.

#12 BenJ

BenJ

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69086
  • Ebay ID:bj-az

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

I putt with an open stance to see the line better and it somehow allows me to lock my left wrist better.  I'm open about half a step.

Edit:  Lining up with my putter, it's actually only about a quarter step.

Edited by BenJ, 01 October 2010 - 03:43 PM.

Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

#13 putt4_66

putt4_66

^Sexiest Golf Attire I've Ever Seen^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96841
  • Ebay ID:rusty_spring
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

I too putt with a slightly open stance, not much. It's mostly due to a flared left foot. As with others, it helps me (1) see the better, (2) keep my left wrist from breaking down, and (3) keep the face square longer through the impact zone. I still close the face in the follow-through, but well after making contact.

I tried putting completely square with the ball right under my left eye (RH golfer) and I am not nearly as consistent with getting the ball on line, nor lagging long putts to within a foot or two. I drop a higher percentage of long putts with the slightly open stance too.

Edited by putt4_66, 01 October 2010 - 03:13 PM.

#14 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

thanx for all the replies...
i think we pretty much agree on the reasons why the open stance works (individually).

i am interested in suggestions on how to cure the ocassional "push" flaw that creeps in periodically.

shooting 76 w/ 36 putts -- going 0-6 inside 10' for birdie has me thinking about squaring up for awhile.

where are the flatstick gurus?

thanx again...
SLDR 12* - Speeder 57 X
Spider Ghost C/S

#15 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:59 PM

View Posttmfool, on 01 October 2010 - 06:17 PM, said:

i think we pretty much agree on the reasons why the open stance works (individually).

i am interested in suggestions on how to cure the ocassional "push" flaw that creeps in periodically.

shooting 76 w/ 36 putts -- going 0-6 inside 10' for birdie has me thinking about squaring up for awhile.

thanx again...
It could be that when you open up, the ball ends up little bit too far back in your stance.  This could inhibit the squaring up and releasing of the blade at the proper point in the stroke and result in a blocked putt.

#16 QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN

Dreaming of Bandon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57534
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:12 PM

I do like setting up with a flared front foot and open stance.  I play a heel shafted blade with the ball just off my left heel (pretty much right under my nose, sometimes I get behind the ball a little if I want to see down the line a little better).

I like opening up my stance because it gives my arms a lot more room and I can see the line better.  I feel like I can keep my hands moving toward the target when my hips are open like that.

#17 square

square

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25048
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

Open stance is o.k. It helps promote a relaxed,flowing, rhythmic stroke. For many players, adopting a square stance promotes a stiff, mechanical jab, which is not good.
I suggest you maintain your open stance and spend some practice time finding a ball position which helps you make square-solid ball contact. Ball position is very significant to good putting,but it is often ignored. Since you are using an open stance, and your left foot is splayed open,use your square right foot as a reference to find consistent ball position.

thanx again...

KZG VC-420 Nippon 950 steel shaft
KZG VC-F  17* Nippon 950 steel shaft
JPX Fli-Hi 3-6 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping S56 7-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
Titelist Bullseye Standard Blade putter

#18 putt4_66

putt4_66

^Sexiest Golf Attire I've Ever Seen^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96841
  • Ebay ID:rusty_spring
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

thanx again...

Are you trying to putt on an arc, or straight-back-straight-through? I don't see an open stance and SBST being a good combination. I think there would definitely be a tendency to leave the blade open. Plus, I think an open stance requires a light grip. Tension in the hands and arms can leave the blade open as well.

I was a pretty good putter for a long while. I used an open stance. As part of my effort to improve scoring I ditched that and "went square." My putting was terrible. But, I stuck with it for a while. Trying to get used to it and give it a chance. I stunk. I went back and worked hard on putting, but my approach was to figure out what I'd do if I didn't think about mechanics or what is taught. I made my mind a blank slate. I built on that foundation. I am putting very good now. As it turns out, what I came up with is little like Davis Love III's routine, with my stroke.

I used to stand over the ball for too long. Tension. Now, I stand behind the putt. I pick my line. I take a couple of strokes to get the feel for distance as I look at the hole and the line. Lastly, from behind the ball, I pick out a spot that's on my line to align the face. I walk right in, align the face, look at the hole and the line, and just make the stroke. My stance is slightly open, and my hands and arms are very relaxed. I am slightly behind the ball. I have just enough grip pressure to keep my left wrist from breaking down.

I do two things just before the stroke and as I make the stroke, while I'm over the ball. I "see" two things. I see in my mind's eye the ball rolling on the line and going at the hole. As I look to the ground with my eyes I "see" my line. It's a little weird, but the line on which I want the putt to start is glowing. It's kind of like a glow stick has been laid right over the first 12 inches of the line of the putt. So when I putt, I make sure I get it started on line, and I have a feel for distance control by also seeing the ball along the path to the hole. "Seeing" these two things makes me completely focused, without adding any tension, because I just stepped in, got that in my head ,and pulled the trigger. It leaves no room for mechanical thoughts, which leads to tension.

The actual mechanics are that the face opens a little on the back swing. Because I see a line, I keep the face square during the impact area because I am trying to hit the ball and make it roll on line. Because my arms and hands are relaxed, once I've accomplished the proper impact ,the face will close naturally.

I've been on a SAM Putting Lab twice and this is proven by the equipment.

Putting is a very personal thing, and almost everyone does it differently. I am not saying this is the way everyone should putt. It works very well for me. For someone reading this it may spawn an idea or two that leads him or her to a unique and better putting game for themselves.

Putt well. Play well.

#19 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

worked on ball position for about 30minutes after work, moved it forward in the stance.
felt good enough to go with.  we'll see what happens next time i need 8footer for par (and it means something).

thanx again for suggestions...
SLDR 12* - Speeder 57 X
Spider Ghost C/S

#20 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3580
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

A few years ago I used an open stance and putted lights out.  Many people made fun of it but it worked.  One spring I changed back to a "normal straight" stance and my putting is not good.  This past week a person that I played with reminded me of how good I was with the open stance and now I "suck".   I think I am going to go back to the open stance.  :rolleyes:

Driver, Ping G25 - 9.5
Fairway Woods, Ping G30 - 5 & 7
Irons, Titleist 710 AP1 - 6 to GW
Wedges, Ping Eye2 Gorge 56, Vokey SM5 60
Putter, Rife MidMallet 400 w/SuperStroke
Ball, Callaway HEX Chrome Yellow

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

Slightly open stance works well for me !!
I would not be that good at putting, if I had
to stand square to the line !!
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta Driver
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 3  Wood
TEE XCG6 19* & 24*  Hybrids
Mizuno 850 Forged  5-PW, Nippon 950
Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa 9 HT Putter
Vokey SM5 50*,56*,& 60*degree Wedge

#22 Barximus

Barximus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2902
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

Open stance for me as well.  I was pulling it before when I squared up, now I perform much better.

#23 nitram

nitram

Take Dead Aim

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28973
  • Handicap:+1.4
  • Ebay ID:fmrtrp
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

Dave Stockton, who at present is probably the hottest putting teacher in golf, advocates an open stance.

Most old school teachers (including mine) taught open stances. They said it was more natural. It does help one see the line better and for most, provides for more feel.
SLDR 430 JDM 10* Matrix TP6HD
TE Exotics CB2 3 & 5 WD TP7HD
Bridgestone J40 CB 3-P DGTI X100
Miura 1957 C59/Y53 Nissan WV 125
Kenny Giannini G5

#24 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98548
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

This is completely an eye dominance issue.

I was reading about it recently in Dr. Craig Farnsworth's "Putting Prescription", an excellent book. Don't have my copy handy at the moment. There was a good section dedicated to this very subject and while I can't recall the details, an open stance is preferred by folks of a certain eye dominance. Can't remember which, but he broke down the left eye, right eye, and cross dominant positions very well. Tons of info in this book you just won't find elsewhere. Of course all the basics are covered and the information on the various grips was excellent. Picked up my copy at Amazon. $16 well spent.

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/0470371013

-Dan

#25 bullie76

bullie76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121903
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

View Postdanattherock, on 05 November 2010 - 10:54 PM, said:

This is completely an eye dominance issue.

I was reading about it recently in Dr. Craig Farnsworth's "Putting Prescription", an excellent book. Don't have my copy handy at the moment. There was a good section dedicated to this very subject and while I can't recall the details, an open stance is preferred by folks of a certain eye dominance. Can't remember which, but he broke down the left eye, right eye, and cross dominant positions very well. Tons of info in this book you just won't find elsewhere. Of course all the basics are covered and the information on the various grips was excellent. Picked up my copy at Amazon. $16 well spent.

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/0470371013

-Dan

Reviving an old thread because I suck at putting. Today I missed birdie putts of 2, 3, and 5 feet in length. And of course several for pars. I have tried for years to putt with a square set up. Have had some good days, but way too inconsistent. I believe some of it has to do with a dominant eye problem.

Going to give the open stance thing a try. Feels good when putting inside on the carpet and seems like a see better. Looking at some videos, looks like Jack Nicklaus and Lee Trevino used it.

Have many here used it when having a dominant eye problem?

Taylormade R1 BLACK Driver
RBZ Tour 13* 3 wood - my 2 wood
Adams F10 15* and 18* FW woods
Adams A12 Idea 21* Hybrid
Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons 5-gw
Clev 588 56* s/w & Classic #2 putter

#26 DailyDrawing

DailyDrawing

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106758
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

I switched to an open stance last weekend after observing one of my regular playing partner's success with this set-up and it yielded me instant results.  I sunk several mid-range and one long-range putts that would have been very low percentage for me with my prior square stance.  I felt much more confident setting up to short putts, as well.

As has been mentioned, I too am right eye dominant, and the open stance gives me a better view down the line.  I feel like I can see the line toward the hole and deliver the ball to it much better with the open stance.

Give it a try!

#27 Dave D

Dave D

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

dave stockton advocates setting up with a slightly open stance, didnt work too bad for jack nicklaus either :)

#28 Bob Cat

Bob Cat

Golfiopath

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64647
  • Handicap:~10
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'm right handed, left eye dominant and putt w/ an open stance.  I use a 35" Ping B60 w/ oversize grip, choke down so my right index finger is at the grips bottom and look right down the line.
I've never putted better than this Spring.
Standing square to the line leves me at a disadavantage compared to the aforementioned setup.
Might look unconventional but it's all about the score.

Edited by Bob Cat, 03 May 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Cleveland Classic XL
Ping i15
Titleist Vokey
SC Futura Phantom
Callaway Super Soft
Sun Mountain Four 5

#29 bullie76

bullie76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121903
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Tried the open stance method today and had some success. I tinkered with it on the practice green before my round and it did take a little getting use to. But as my round progressed, my confidence grew. Ended up with 29 putts vs 35 two days ago. Hopefully not a one day fluke.
Taylormade R1 BLACK Driver
RBZ Tour 13* 3 wood - my 2 wood
Adams F10 15* and 18* FW woods
Adams A12 Idea 21* Hybrid
Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons 5-gw
Clev 588 56* s/w & Classic #2 putter

#30 sandtrap

sandtrap

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115880
  • Ebay ID:sandtrap14
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

I've gone to an open stance because I find that with it you tuck your right elbow into your side and there is let movement in your stroke

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors