Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Orange Whip

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Soxx22

Soxx22

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28340
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

So i saw the Orange Whip training aid in the PGA Superstore today and wanted to see if anyone out there has tried it.  seemed like it might be a good aid to help keep my lag.  let me know what you think.

thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MintGolf

MintGolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96383
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

#3 zripp3

zripp3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67733
  • Ebay ID:zripp
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:27 PM

I picked one up at PGATSS when they had a  special on training aids.  I think it's a great warm-up tool for stretching - better than weighted clubs I've owned, and helps get that "whoosh" sound ingrained at the right time.  As for swing benefits, I can't say I've noticed a dramatic difference, although I've only played a couple rounds since purchasing.

Edited by zripp3, 28 September 2010 - 09:36 PM.

#4 Donly

Donly

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114615
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

I have been thinking about one of these myself. Looking forward to some reviews also.

#5 Ezgolfer

Ezgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19575
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

One of the best training aids . 100 BUCKS well spent . It will teach you the tracings and body motions of a pro swing . I highly recommend it .

#6 Cmartingolf

Cmartingolf

Martin Chuck - Tour Striker Golf Academy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71538
GolfWRX Likes : 194

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

Love it. I own two. One at the house and one at the office!

#7 happyroman

happyroman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54651

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

View PostCmartingolf, on 28 September 2010 - 10:55 PM, said:

Love it. I own two. One at the house and one at the office!

One of my two favorite training aids, along with the Tour Striker Pro.  I have the driver size in my bag and the wedge size for swinging indoors.  The wedge size is pretty light, and if I had it to do over again, would have bought the middle size as my number two.

#8 tm3

tm3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81192

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

i got to play with one of these and must admit that i don't get it.  meaning, i don't understand what this aid is supposed to be teaching and how it translates into better ball striking.

obviously i'm missing something and would be curious to hear martin and happy elaborate.

it felt heavy so i guess it is similar to the momentus or matzie or other type of weighted club, but the matzie has the benefit of training the feel of the type of release used to draw the ball.

wouldn't a whippy tempomaster accomplish the same thing as the orange whip, but have the added benefit of being able to hit balls?

#9 happyroman

happyroman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54651

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

View Posttm3, on 29 September 2010 - 11:28 AM, said:

i got to play with one of these and must admit that i don't get it.  meaning, i don't understand what this aid is supposed to be teaching and how it translates into better ball striking.

obviously i'm missing something and would be curious to hear martin and happy elaborate.

it felt heavy so i guess it is similar to the momentus or matzie or other type of weighted club, but the matzie has the benefit of training the feel of the type of release used to draw the ball.

wouldn't a whippy tempomaster accomplish the same thing as the orange whip, but have the added benefit of being able to hit balls?

I've never tried a Whippy Tempomaster, but am guessing that they are approximately the same weight as the club they are intended to mimic.  The combination of the added weight and the flexible shaft with the Orange Whip helps give one the feel of a properly timed swing with everything moving in synch, without having to worry about hitting a ball.  

For me, if I don't have a smooth transition, or if I over accelerate with my hands (using a TGM term), I get instant feedback with the Orange Whip.  Plus, I can use it wherever I wish, not just at the range.  Provides an excellent warm up, and warm down after a practice session. After swinging the Orange Whip, I hit balls trying to maintain the same rhythm and smooth tempo that I had with the Orange Whip.

Here's a link to a review on a blog written by a regular contributor to this forum, zenchili.  

http://www.zenchili....e-whip-trainer/

Edited by happyroman, 29 September 2010 - 03:04 PM.

#10 tm3

tm3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81192

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

thanks for the comments.

i have a whippy tempomaster, and never quite "got it" with that aid, either.  meaning, i learned to make a smooth transition and have a swinging action thus hitting the ball straight with the whippy and getting somewhat proficient with the drills.  but it didn't seem to translate into more consistency in the full swing with my regular clubs and it certainly did not translate into the prodigious distances that are claimed by the whippy folks.  the whippy did, however, prove valuable in getting more consistent at chipping and pitching.

my guess is that one can learn to hit the whippy but still be making some significant swing errors.

my other guess is that the main problem here is the indian not the arrow, i.e. me not the orange whip and the whippy.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 firstbatch

firstbatch

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53057
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

A great an inexpensive alternative to the whip is a 42" piece of 1" rope..........excellent tempo trainer

#12 jlo

jlo

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8536
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

View Postfirstbatch, on 30 September 2010 - 06:18 PM, said:

A great an inexpensive alternative to the whip is a 42" piece of 1" rope..........excellent tempo trainer

Interesting I might try this and put something on the end of it.

Anyone ever try to build a homemade orange whip?

Years ago I built a homemade whippy tempomaster with a driveway marker as a shaft, a wooden dowel that I put a grip over it, and springs on the end of the rod that I epoxied an iron head to.

Worked good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors