Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

MacGregor Tourney VIP irons

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 honketyhank

honketyhank

Uncle Horace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68488
  • Ebay ID:honketyhank
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

I picked up these clubs for a song: eBay Listing . I was surprised at lack of bids,  I expected to be outbid. As you can see, mine was the only bid. They arrived yesterday. Excellent condition, rarely played. Shafts are TT Dynamic, R flex. Kaplan's book does not have this model. I suspect it is part of the custom club program. Note that the design is very similar to the muscleback blades endorsed by Nicklaus in the early 1970s,  But note the script V.I.P. (totally unlike production VIP in sorta kinda Times New Roman font). They really feel nice when properly struck.

Does anyone know these clubs? Or is this another case of me picking up a bargain because it was something not listed in Kaplan's book? Can you help me with a date of manufacture -- my guess is late 1970s to early 1980s. Or any storyline if there is one on these?

Another view from my scanner 7 iron, even the PW is in very similar condition (sorry for the scanner defects, the clubs are almost immaculate):
VIPTourney7.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ABgolfer2

ABgolfer2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87340
GolfWRX Likes : 179

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

View Posthonketyhank, on 15 September 2010 - 09:59 PM, said:

I picked up these clubs for a song: eBay Listing . I was surprised at lack of bids,  I expected to be outbid. As you can see, mine was the only bid. They arrived yesterday. Excellent condition, rarely played. Shafts are TT Dynamic, R flex. Kaplan's book does not have this model. I suspect it is part of the custom club program. Note that the design is very similar to the muscleback blades endorsed by Nicklaus in the early 1970s,  But note the script V.I.P. (totally unlike production VIP in sorta kinda Times New Roman font). They really feel nice when properly struck.

Does anyone know these clubs? Or is this another case of me picking up a bargain because it was something not listed in Kaplan's book? Can you help me with a date of manufacture -- my guess is late 1970s to early 1980s. Or any storyline if there is one on these?

If I had to guess (and I do) I'd say early - mid 1980's. The groove and diamonds seem very similar to the Nicklaus MacGregors from that era. The sole width and number look very 1987  - just a year I pulled outta my . . .

#3 '53 Precision

'53 Precision

Joint Security Area, PanMunJom RoK

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57304
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:43 AM

They look a lot like the 1971 - 72 MT model with the flat sole, the script and the numbers also appear to match very closely, I would guess them to be of that design, if not vintage.

#4 dalehead

dalehead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33032
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

The long hosels and ferrules make me think these are much older than guys are estimating. Have never seen a VIP model with the letters in script. I'm thinking 50's? But thats just wild speculation on my part.

Incidently, in 1988 I got a set of custom VIPS from MacGregor. I spoke to Don White and he told me he had a set of heads that were originally made for Curtis Strange (who was gaming VIP'S at the time) that he was going to use for my irons. One of the dumbest things I've ever done was letting those clubs go!

Edited by dalehead, 16 September 2010 - 08:57 AM.

#5 kaboboom

kaboboom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109659
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

I'll add this after looking at pictures in my club guide, specifically the early (mid -sixires) VIPs. These clubs are obviously not "by Nicklaus", and the VIP font doesn't match either, although it states the black ferrels were used on the 68 model, with the 67s having a marbled ferrel. But the font in your picture does match the VIP TP65, and the Penna VIP TP63, but those clubs have many other markings, and the VIP is nearer to the toe. So, I can't find an eaxct match.

#6 Shallowface

Shallowface

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

It's been thirty years, so the memory's a bit foggy, but I seem to recall one of the golf shop chains of the time (Pro Golf Discount?)selling MacGregor blades that were actually cast stainless, not forged (the Nicklaus VIPs in the Muirfield bag in another thread are cast stainless, so it wasn't unusual). Since these aren't in the Kaplan book, I wonder if these are of a line exclusive to a chain store like Pro Golf Discount.  There was another one of a similar look and the same late 70s/early 80s vintage that had a "67" on the back. Those were cast as well.

Not saying these won't play very well or that they aren't a good quality item. Just trying to help identify them.

#7 Parster65

Parster65

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210673
  • Ebay ID:NHBOBF
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

View Posthonketyhank, on 15 September 2010 - 09:59 PM, said:

Another view from my scanner 7 iron, even the PW is in very similar condition (sorry for the scanner defects, the clubs are almost immaculate):
Attachment VIPTourney7.jpg
Did you ever find out about these clubs?..I just picked up the 1 iron at a yard sale and I'm trying to determinr it's value...the pic you posted here is the only club like this I have found...

#8 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

I/m with Shallow Face , the soles are just like many sets I have had from the 80's that were cast/stainless. The ferrules are like the ferrules from the 80's also
I have a set of the 67 that SF mentions and those were made for the Japanese market, probably the same goes for these

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors