Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Charlie Wi Interview

205 replies to this topic

#1 logan91201

logan91201

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33965
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:37 PM

Charlie discussing Andy & Mike, Baddeley and Weir, criticism, and some guy who teaches Tiger Woods.  Should make for some interesting discussion.

http://www.pgatour.c...ript/index.html

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 freshprince99

freshprince99

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113704
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

really interesting interview, i too was a disbeliever in stack and tilt but after studying the book a few times i too have decided to "empty my cup", it just makes good sense to me too. charlie got a little controversial when talking about baddely and weir though! hope he doesnt get into any trouble for that.

#3 Tingting

Tingting

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1596
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

Wow accused Weir and Bads as being one of the worst ball striker...I need to see stats...

#4 freshprince99

freshprince99

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113704

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

View PostTingting, on 10 September 2010 - 09:46 PM, said:

Wow accused Weir and Bads as being one of the worst ball striker...I need to see stats...

well, like he said they have stats for baddely and i have seen his greens in regulation and driving accuracy numbers for the years before he went to stack and tilt and they are far from impressive, its weir i havent seen stats for and i must say i was knocked a little off guard by his "one of the worst ball strikers on tour" comment. i thought the pga tour had some rule about talking negatively about other players. (no disrespect to charlie wi, just commenting on what was said)

#5 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18789

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

Right or wrong (and I'm skeptical of S&T), this was a remarkable interview.  Started with the usual golf cliches but actually evolved into something candid and provocative.  Thanks for posting link to press conference. It will be interesting to see where this goes....

Edited by Mainlinegolfer, 10 September 2010 - 09:58 PM.

#6 petter7

petter7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8005
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:06 PM

View PostMainlinegolfer, on 10 September 2010 - 09:57 PM, said:

Right or wrong (and I'm skeptical of S&T), this was a remarkable interview.  Started with the usual golf cliches but actually evolved into something candid and provocative.  Thanks for posting link to press conference. It will be interesting to see where this goes....

I wonder which upcoming Golf Digest issue this article is going to be in that Wi is talking about.

#7 J13

J13

@jminis13

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,606 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1393

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

whether I agree or not good for charlie Wi for being real and giving a honest interview.  Well done sir, well done.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#8 Corey_sulliv21

Corey_sulliv21

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25510
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

Probably not the best choice of words and you have to think that Badds and Weir may not be thrilled about it, but that said I'm glad that he spoke his mind publicly and said a lot of things that should have been said a long time ago.  Badds is known on tour as "Hits it Baddeley" and outside of his success as an Amateur in Australia he's done little without the help of Mike/Andy.  

Mike and Andy have helped a lot of people publicly and privately and I've rarely heard them publicly speak out about the criticism they've received or the simple lack of credit.  The stone has been tossed around in all directions.  I remember Mike Weir having an article published in Golf Digest that said something like "reclamation project" and it was none too flattering of his experience with Mike/Andy.  Tim Herron has never said anything publicly about the help he received prior to winning.  Same goes for Dustin Johnson.

When you're abilities and ideas are being ridiculed publicly you have to think that the people you've helped will step up and say hey "I know all these people and other teachers like to bash Mike/Andy but they helped me a great deal."

#9 dana dahlquist

dana dahlquist

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24675
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

View PostJ13, on 10 September 2010 - 10:11 PM, said:

whether I agree or not good for charlie Wi for being real and giving a honest interview.  Well done sir, well done.
Foley today called Andy.

#10 mvmac

mvmac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67271
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

Wow, best interview of all time.  
"there was a big problem with Andy and Mike and the person that's working  with Tiger because the pictures that are in the Golf Digest is pretty  much straight out of their golf book that they have released."

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Diz

Diz

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88797
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:30 PM

wow,why doesnt tiger just go to andy and mike?  ......

#12 dana dahlquist

dana dahlquist

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24675
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

View PostDiz, on 10 September 2010 - 11:30 PM, said:

I was going to give some background on that. But its the name that is all.

#13 MacBooky

MacBooky

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50079
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:54 AM

View Postdana dahlquist, on 10 September 2010 - 11:45 PM, said:

View PostDiz, on 10 September 2010 - 11:30 PM, said:

I was going to give some background on that. But its the name that is all.

Well. Tiger's practically reinvented The Dark SIde so he might as well join it ;-)

#14 frank gasaway

frank gasaway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113640
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:57 AM

I'm  glad Charlie was so vocal ... I'll have to get the inside scoop.

#15 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

I hate the media.  Goat some quiet guy into dumping his own poo to step in.  I pull for the underdog, and hope Wi continues his good play.  I was pulling for Mr. Hawaii in Canada as well.  I don't care how they swing the club, he did not get it done in Canada.

Edited by MP60dude, 11 September 2010 - 10:24 AM.

#16 dachtor

dachtor

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3117
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:16 AM

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Pretty interesting. I also find it interesting that a touring pro cares enough about his coaches to defend them when given an opportunity. That to me says a lot.

I don't care to debate if Foley is teaching S&T or not. That said, if the foundation for what he is teaching came from B/P, then I think he should give credit where credit is due. That's the classy thing to do.

#17 ppjn348

ppjn348

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96605
  • Ebay ID:ppjn348
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

View PostMainlinegolfer, on 10 September 2010 - 09:57 PM, said:

I don't see what the big deal with this interview is. He is just backing his coaches. To say this is remarkable or one of the great interviews of all time is more than an over statement. He noted he was friends with Weir and Baddeley and if this is true, I'm sure they know how he feels about them changing.In the end if someone is not seeing results as they had in the past, people change methods. Weir won the Masters with a conventional swing and changed to S&T. Even after winning a major, he changed.

#18 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18789

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

View Postppjn348, on 11 September 2010 - 08:49 AM, said:

I don't see what the big deal with this interview is. He is just backing his coaches. To say this is remarkable or one of the great interviews of all time is more than an over statement. He noted he was friends with Weir and Baddeley and if this is true, I'm sure they know how he feels about them changing.In the end if someone is not seeing results as they had in the past, people change methods. Weir won the Masters with a conventional swing and changed to S&T. Even after winning a major, he changed.
I don't believe I said it was "one of the great interviews of all time", I said it was "remarkable", i.e. worthy of remarks (which it generated).  Many athletes are not very bright; more are inarticulate; and most rely on sports cliches when dealing with the press.  That a player commented on others' ball striking skills is, well, remarkable.  Frankly, I don't care very much either way; I enjoy playing golf, not watching golf.

#19 Siteseer2

Siteseer2

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:46 AM

View Postdana dahlquist, on 10 September 2010 - 10:28 PM, said:

Foley today called Andy.

Can't coach loyalty...standup guy that Wi...

#20 savydan

savydan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82494

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

Fairways and greens, Charlie.  Stay out of the Family Feud.

Calling out other players and coaches is not stand-up: it's stupid.

If you ever decide to leave, your stats may show up under the former clients tab.  They'll sell you out in a heartbeat if it helps the marketing cause.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Tee_Party

Tee_Party

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113932
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

True.

You don't see a Matty Kuchar sticking his nose in it.

And you'll never see Mr. Hardy calling out former students.

#22 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 500

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

View Postsavydan, on 11 September 2010 - 10:11 AM, said:

If you ever decide to leave, your stats may show up under the former clients tab.  They'll sell you out in a heartbeat if it helps the marketing cause.

I can't stand PC speak, but got to agree here.  Why go there and describe your "friends" as the worst ballstrikers on tour?  Who needs friends like that, Charlie?

#23 ahl3bomber

ahl3bomber

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81852
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

I dont like that Tiger is so secretive about his coaching...seriously just admit it and move on, not that big of a deal

#24 Vandal

Vandal

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5319
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

Numbers speak volume. Badds and Weir moved way up after working with Mike and Andy, now -- not so much. Charlie had almost quit entirely before starting to work with these guys. Think he doesn't feel some loyalty and want to stand up for his friends Mike and Andy? What's wrong with that? Just pointing out what the stats already show.

#25 spider

spider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7926
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

View Postdana dahlquist, on 10 September 2010 - 10:28 PM, said:

Foley today called Andy.

to thank him or more questions.  just teasing :)

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
taylormade rescue FCT aldila S
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95
cleveland CG10 54 60 S300

#26 justhittheshot

justhittheshot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109206
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

The Golf Channel PreGame just played the interview and Brandel had some interesting insight.  He said that the goals of s&t are to eliminate inconsistent contact.  The s&t guys are among the MOST CONSISTENT BALLSTRIKERS on tour but that they are also the WORST BALLSTRIKERS on tour because they do not have the power or the versatility to hit different kinds of shots.  That analysis seems pretty legit.

#27 rankoutsider

rankoutsider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39690
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

I really like Charlie Wi and was pulling hard for him at the Canadian Open, but you never look good when you come on as negative, and that is how Wi looked for sure.  He believes what he believes about the swing, and probably should have just left it at that.  He also believes that Foley is ripping off other teachers, and could have said that without saying anything about other players.  I think he just went a bit far in his defense of his teachers and their method.

But if you are Charlie Wi and you think Tiger has an inferior coach, you should be happy, because it means a long time before he returns to good form, and that gives you more of a chance to place high in these events.

Is there a thread somewhere about Chamblee's comments or is nobody taking those seriously any more?

#28 particleman

particleman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133706

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

View Postrankoutsider, on 11 September 2010 - 10:59 AM, said:

I really like Charlie Wi and was pulling hard for him at the Canadian Open, but you never look good when you come on as negative, and that is how Wi looked for sure.  He believes what he believes about the swing, and probably should have just left it at that.  He also believes that Foley is ripping off other teachers, and could have said that without saying anything about other players.  I think he just went a bit far in his defense of his teachers and their method.

But if you are Charlie Wi and you think Tiger has an inferior coach, you should be happy, because it means a long time before he returns to good form, and that gives you more of a chance to place high in these events.

Is there a thread somewhere about Chamblee's comments or is nobody taking those seriously any more?

If Foley is teaching Stack then it's a curious choice for tiger.  Doesn't seem to be the method to choose if you're struggling with your driver.  Is there a good driver of the ball that uses stack and tilt on tour?  They all seem short an inaccurate from what I can tell.  To be fair the method has only attracted the desperate so far, so they haven't been that great before they went stack and tilt.  They just don't seem to improve that much from a ball striking perspective.

#29 mvmac

mvmac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67271
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

View Posthoganfan924, on 11 September 2010 - 10:21 AM, said:

View Postsavydan, on 11 September 2010 - 10:11 AM, said:

I can't stand PC speak, but got to agree here.  Why go there and describe your "friends" as the worst ballstrikers on tour?  Who needs friends like that, Charlie?

I think there was some humor and chop busting involved in Charlie's comments.  Just like my comment about it being the best interview of all time, some fun involved.  

I think some of his comments about Tiger's coach are understandable, he's as close to the S&T/Foley story as anyone.  Then Foley dumps on Andy and Mike, I bet Charlie got a little pissed.

Edited by mvmac, 11 September 2010 - 12:19 PM.

#30 hangubber

hangubber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65321
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Career earnings:

Charlie Wi             $ 5,582,402
Aaron Baddeley  $ 10,828,190
Mike Weir             $ 26,798,374

I'd be happy with $26 million worth of bad ballstriking...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors