Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Spaulding TP Mills


35 replies to this topic

#1 suprnva

suprnva

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107255
  • Joined: 05/02/2010
  • Ebay ID:suprnva2k
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

I was at my local Play It Again Sports today and I came across this putter.  I'm not sure if it's worth picking up or not.  It's not in the best shape so I would probably need to get it refinished and I'm not really sure what that would cost.  So, is this worth my time to pick up and had worked on or should I just let it sit at the store?

Thanks.

P.S.  Sorry for the bad iPhone pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by suprnva, 08 September 2010 - 08:12 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 oldmannoodles

oldmannoodles

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36722
  • Joined: 08/07/2007
  • Location:Australia
  • Ebay ID:oldmannoodles
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

Still plenty of these out there - you could get one on ebay for $15. Some of the Spalding TPMs have an incredible feel, but this model probably isn't one of the best. A refinish job (done properly with new finish - not just a quick sanding) is not cheap, maybe $50-$100. You can purchase a pretty decent 2nd hand putter for that kind of cash. As always, just my opinion!

#3 suprnva

suprnva

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107255
  • Joined: 05/02/2010
  • Ebay ID:suprnva2k
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

 oldmannoodles, on 08 September 2010 - 08:29 PM, said:

Still plenty of these out there - you could get one on ebay for $15. Some of the Spalding TPMs have an incredible feel, but this model probably isn't one of the best. A refinish job (done properly with new finish - not just a quick sanding) is not cheap, maybe $50-$100. You can purchase a pretty decent 2nd hand putter for that kind of cash. As always, just my opinion!

Yeah, it doesn't sound like it would be worth it then.  The putter is only $10, but in the end if it's going to be $60-$110 for something that isn't that great it's just a bad idea.

Thanks for the help!

#4 scotchblade

scotchblade

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Joined: 01/10/2007
  • Location:San Rafael, CA
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

These are nice putters for do-it-yourself refinishes.  In fact, there is an extensive thread on that somewhere.  Run a search if you feel like a project.

I do like the classic designs of these putters.

#5 oldmannoodles

oldmannoodles

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36722
  • Joined: 08/07/2007
  • Location:Australia
  • Ebay ID:oldmannoodles
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

No probs. I've refinished about 30 of these TPMs and many are sensational pieces. The no.7 and no.12 have an incredible feel and would be well worth spending the cash on, but the 9 doesn't do anything for me.

DSCF7170+(Medium).JPG


#6 oldmannoodles

oldmannoodles

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36722
  • Joined: 08/07/2007
  • Location:Australia
  • Ebay ID:oldmannoodles
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

Agreed scotchblade, the TPMs are great DIY project and no harm done if you mess up as they are so cheap. However, many of them are prone to rust up pretty quickly if not plated, so if you are looking for a keeper a proper finish would be recommended.

#7 Arafel

Arafel

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14708
  • Joined: 05/11/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

 oldmannoodles, on 08 September 2010 - 08:56 PM, said:

No probs. I've refinished about 30 of these TPMs and many are sensational pieces. The no.7 and no.12 have an incredible feel and would be well worth spending the cash on, but the 9 doesn't do anything for me.

DSCF7170+(Medium).JPG

Got anymore pics of your collection?  Those are some sweet putters. :good:

#8 teamarctic

teamarctic

    Chicks dig the long ball!!

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30415
  • Joined: 06/01/2007
  • Location:Michigan
  • Ebay ID:-bsimon2008
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

i just sold a number 12 on here for $40 bucks if that says anything.

#9 RainShadow

RainShadow

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Location:Headed to Colorado......Screw Wa and the Rain!
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:55 AM

I read that the ones with roman numerals were more valuable.
Does anyone know if that's true?

Edited by RainShadow, 14 September 2010 - 01:03 AM.

Cobra BioCell+ Matrix Red Tie
XHot 15*3wd & 19* 5wd stock PX
Idea Pro Black 23* w/ Altus
Apex/ Apex pro combo Recoil 95
SM4 54/11 & 58/9 KBS Tour
TP Mills Soft Tail / SC Monterey 1.5

#10 oldmannoodles

oldmannoodles

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36722
  • Joined: 08/07/2007
  • Location:Australia
  • Ebay ID:oldmannoodles
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:49 AM

 RainShadow, on 09 September 2010 - 12:55 AM, said:

I read that the ones with roman numerals were more valuable.
Does anyone no if that's true?


The Roman Numeral collection were the first of the TP Mills Spaldings and contain some of the real classic designs. However, their value is no greater than any of the other TPM series - most can be purchased for a song on ebay. Here's the complete Roman Numeral collection:

DSCF7149.JPG
DSCF7152.JPG
DSCF7156.JPG
DSCF7158.JPG
DSCF7160.JPG


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 ROPERSTJ

ROPERSTJ

    ROPERSTJ

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60216
  • Joined: 07/11/2008
  • Location:N.C.
  • Ebay ID:ROPERSTJ
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

I have the TPM 17, great feel. Better than any of the Camerons or Betti's I 've had. And it only cost me $40.00. Just can't part with it long enough to get it re-finished.
Titleist 909D3 8.5° w/ Aldila Prototype
TEE CB2 15° w/ GD YSQ
TEE XCG 18° w/ Aldila DVS
Mizuno MX-25 3-PW w/ PX
TM ATV 52°/58°
Odyssey 2 Ball 34"

#12 BILL12x

BILL12x

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28584
  • Joined: 05/04/2007
  • Location:South Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

I have several that I've refinished, but my favorite for look and feel is the Tour Model 15. I think I paid $6.00 for it and put in about $20 for sandpaper and a buffing wheel plus buffing compounds. Better than most new putters. Then again, I still like my old Ping Cushin.

Attached Thumbnails

  • TPM15.JPG

Edited by BILL12x, 09 September 2010 - 02:48 PM.


#13 Arafel

Arafel

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14708
  • Joined: 05/11/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

View Postoldmannoodles, on 09 September 2010 - 03:49 AM, said:

View PostRainShadow, on 09 September 2010 - 12:55 AM, said:

I read that the ones with roman numerals were more valuable.
Does anyone no if that's true?


The Roman Numeral collection were the first of the TP Mills Spaldings and contain some of the real classic designs. However, their value is no greater than any of the other TPM series - most can be purchased for a song on ebay. Here's the complete Roman Numeral collection:

DSCF7149.JPG
DSCF7152.JPG
DSCF7156.JPG
DSCF7158.JPG
DSCF7160.JPG

Nice!  How many of the regular number TPM's are there?

#14 BILL12x

BILL12x

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28584
  • Joined: 05/04/2007
  • Location:South Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:19 PM

View PostJASONR5, on 09 September 2010 - 03:55 PM, said:

Nice! How many of the regular number TPM's are there?
The following is from "HoosierGolfer" from another putter website:

Here is a new 2009 list of putters designed by T.P Mills for the Spalding Company.  This list is as of 3/24/2009.  I hope it helps with your collection and/or history questions.
M. Conner


Designed by T.P Mills Spalding’s.  Chronological Order.

NOTE: Spalding marketed the T.P Mills (first numbered series) line of black finished putter’s which were primarily designed as a flange style blade.  Each model was number, the insignia found on the heel side of the face.  Center of the face is noted by a dotted line cross, or crosshair.  In 1984 most of the T.P.M putters sold for $25.00 RN series and between $30.00 and $40.00 later versions.


The first series released in 1970 was the Roman Numeral Series.  Numbered I thru IX.  These were produced predominantly in carbon steel, although stainless steel versions do exist.  These were made with a black finish with the words Spalding Touring Pro Model engraved in the sole.  They have a sight oval on the top line.  They have the dotted line crosshair on the center face.  The insignia TPM with Roman Numeral number is engraved on the face at the heel.  These putters were shafted with True Temper 0.280 diameter shafts.  The shaft could be straight, step less with flute or stepped steel in head with a black ferrule.  The grips were a mix of either smooth black rubber pistol with Spalding in white or brown leather Spalding.  Paint fills were in white.  All were right hand only.
Numbers are; I – II – III – IV – V – VI – VII – VIII – IX.

The second series released in 1984 was the Numbered Series (first release).  Numbered 1 thru 14.  These were produced predominantly in carbon steel, although stainless steel versions do exist.  These were made with a black finish with the words Precision Ground (toe), Spalding (center), and Designed by T.P Mills (heel) engraved on the sole.  They have a sight dot on the top line.  They have the dotted line crosshair on the center face.  The insignia T.P.M with the number below is engraved in the face at the heel.  These putters were shafted with True Temper 0.280 diameter shafts in head with NO ferrule.  Most all of them were of the stepped steel type.  Paint fills were white.  Grips were smooth black rubber pistol with TPM or Spalding in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 14.  There was no number 13.  Number 10, was left hand only.  Number 14 is of the mallet type.

The third series released in 1985 was the Tour Series.  These were numbered 15 thru 19.  These were produced predominantly in stainless steel, although a few carbon versions are known to exist.  These were made with a black finish with the words Precision Ground (toe), Spalding (center), the number below Spalding (center) and Designed by T.P Mills (heel) engraved on the sole.  They have a sight dot on the top line.  NO crosshairs on the face of this model.  The insignia T.P.M with Tour Series below it was engraved on the face at the heel.  These putters were shafted with True Temper straight step less steel shafts in 0.350 diameter over stem.  Grips were black rubber textured with Tour Series in gold.  All paint fills were gold.
Numbers are; 15 – 16 – 17 – 18 – 19. All right handed.

The Numbered Series were re-released in 1991 with these changes.  The top line had a narrow line added the full length with a sight dot.  The faces of this release were brushed raw finish (no black).  Paint fill on the face engravings was in black. The number 12 had a milled pocket in this release.  Everything else remained the same as the same of the first release.  Grips were smooth black rubber pistol with TPM in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 14.  There was no number 13.  Number 14 was changed to a flange style in left hand.  Number 10 remained left hand only.

The Numbered Series were re-released again in 1994 with these changes.  The top line had a short wide line on each side of the sight dot about Ύ inch long.  Paint fill color of this line/dot was lime green.  Face paint fill color was black.  Sole paint fill was white. Crosshairs on face. Numbers 1, 9 and 19 had TPM engraved on the back with white paint fill.  These putters were cast and not forged or milled.  Most were black in color with a rough texture with the face brushed raw.  The number 9 was grey in color with a rough texture.  Shafts were True Temper step less steel in 0.280 in head with no ferrule.  Grips were black to dark grey wrapped textured with TPM in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 6 – 9 – 10 – 12 - 14 – 15 – 19 – 20.  Numbers 10 and 14 were left hand only.

The Gold Series was released in 1987 in Roman Numerals.  All were made of brass.  Paint fills were deep red.  Shafts were True Temper straight step less steel in 0.350 diameter over stem.  Grips were black rubber pistol type with Spalding or TPM.
Numbers are; I – II – III – IV.

Notes: Additional putters were released after 1994.  Registered Series was a black oxide long style Number 1 with a pocket, white paint fill with T.P Mills engraved on the face top near the toe.  This putter was also released as brass version.
There were a few other putters designed by Mr. Mills after he stopped working with Spalding released.  One was a Tour Series III.  Some of the first Numbered Series were released for the Japan market that had Cold Forged engraved in the bottom.

#15 BILL12x

BILL12x

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28584
  • Joined: 05/04/2007
  • Location:South Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

Nothing can kill a thread faster than giving all possible relavent information! :-)


#16 Arafel

Arafel

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14708
  • Joined: 05/11/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

View PostBILL12x, on 10 September 2010 - 11:12 AM, said:

Nothing can kill a thread faster than giving all possible relavent information! :-)

You might be right. :cheesy:

Thanks for all of that info though. :drinks:

Edited by JASONR5, 13 September 2010 - 11:54 PM.


#17 Arafel

Arafel

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14708
  • Joined: 05/11/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

View PostBILL12x, on 09 September 2010 - 06:19 PM, said:

View PostJASONR5, on 09 September 2010 - 03:55 PM, said:

Nice! How many of the regular number TPM's are there?
The following is from "HoosierGolfer" from another putter website:

Here is a new 2009 list of putters designed by T.P Mills for the Spalding Company.  This list is as of 3/24/2009.  I hope it helps with your collection and/or history questions.
M. Conner


Designed by T.P Mills Spalding's.  Chronological Order.

NOTE: Spalding marketed the T.P Mills (first numbered series) line of black finished putter's which were primarily designed as a flange style blade.  Each model was number, the insignia found on the heel side of the face.  Center of the face is noted by a dotted line cross, or crosshair.  In 1984 most of the T.P.M putters sold for $25.00 RN series and between $30.00 and $40.00 later versions.


The first series released in 1970 was the Roman Numeral Series.  Numbered I thru IX.  These were produced predominantly in carbon steel, although stainless steel versions do exist.  These were made with a black finish with the words Spalding Touring Pro Model engraved in the sole.  They have a sight oval on the top line.  They have the dotted line crosshair on the center face.  The insignia TPM with Roman Numeral number is engraved on the face at the heel.  These putters were shafted with True Temper 0.280 diameter shafts.  The shaft could be straight, step less with flute or stepped steel in head with a black ferrule.  The grips were a mix of either smooth black rubber pistol with Spalding in white or brown leather Spalding.  Paint fills were in white.  All were right hand only.
Numbers are; I – II – III – IV – V – VI – VII – VIII – IX.

The second series released in 1984 was the Numbered Series (first release).  Numbered 1 thru 14.  These were produced predominantly in carbon steel, although stainless steel versions do exist.  These were made with a black finish with the words Precision Ground (toe), Spalding (center), and Designed by T.P Mills (heel) engraved on the sole.  They have a sight dot on the top line.  They have the dotted line crosshair on the center face.  The insignia T.P.M with the number below is engraved in the face at the heel.  These putters were shafted with True Temper 0.280 diameter shafts in head with NO ferrule.  Most all of them were of the stepped steel type.  Paint fills were white.  Grips were smooth black rubber pistol with TPM or Spalding in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 14.  There was no number 13.  Number 10, was left hand only.  Number 14 is of the mallet type.

The third series released in 1985 was the Tour Series.  These were numbered 15 thru 19.  These were produced predominantly in stainless steel, although a few carbon versions are known to exist.  These were made with a black finish with the words Precision Ground (toe), Spalding (center), the number below Spalding (center) and Designed by T.P Mills (heel) engraved on the sole.  They have a sight dot on the top line.  NO crosshairs on the face of this model.  The insignia T.P.M with Tour Series below it was engraved on the face at the heel.  These putters were shafted with True Temper straight step less steel shafts in 0.350 diameter over stem.  Grips were black rubber textured with Tour Series in gold.  All paint fills were gold.
Numbers are; 15 – 16 – 17 – 18 – 19. All right handed.

The Numbered Series were re-released in 1991 with these changes.  The top line had a narrow line added the full length with a sight dot.  The faces of this release were brushed raw finish (no black).  Paint fill on the face engravings was in black. The number 12 had a milled pocket in this release.  Everything else remained the same as the same of the first release.  Grips were smooth black rubber pistol with TPM in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 14.  There was no number 13.  Number 14 was changed to a flange style in left hand.  Number 10 remained left hand only.

The Numbered Series were re-released again in 1994 with these changes.  The top line had a short wide line on each side of the sight dot about Ύ inch long.  Paint fill color of this line/dot was lime green.  Face paint fill color was black.  Sole paint fill was white. Crosshairs on face. Numbers 1, 9 and 19 had TPM engraved on the back with white paint fill.  These putters were cast and not forged or milled.  Most were black in color with a rough texture with the face brushed raw.  The number 9 was grey in color with a rough texture.  Shafts were True Temper step less steel in 0.280 in head with no ferrule.  Grips were black to dark grey wrapped textured with TPM in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 6 – 9 – 10 – 12 - 14 – 15 – 19 – 20.  Numbers 10 and 14 were left hand only.

The Gold Series was released in 1987 in Roman Numerals.  All were made of brass.  Paint fills were deep red.  Shafts were True Temper straight step less steel in 0.350 diameter over stem.  Grips were black rubber pistol type with Spalding or TPM.
Numbers are; I – II – III – IV.

Notes: Additional putters were released after 1994.  Registered Series was a black oxide long style Number 1 with a pocket, white paint fill with T.P Mills engraved on the face top near the toe.  This putter was also released as brass version.
There were a few other putters designed by Mr. Mills after he stopped working with Spalding released.  One was a Tour Series III.  Some of the first Numbered Series were released for the Japan market that had Cold Forged engraved in the bottom.

Thanks again.

Here is my small contribution to this thread.  I always liked the Mizuno line of Mills putters.

tpm.jpg

#18 Arafel

Arafel

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14708
  • Joined: 05/11/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

View PostBILL12x, on 10 September 2010 - 11:12 AM, said:

Nothing  can kill a thread faster than giving all possible relavent information!  :-)

Bill because of your informative post I picked up an all orignal TPM 12 at the local pro shop and have a Gold Series coming from Ebay.  Thanks again

View Postoldmannoodles, on 08 September 2010 - 08:56 PM, said:

No probs. I've refinished about 30 of these TPMs and many are sensational pieces. The no.7 and no.12 have an incredible feel and would be well worth spending the cash on, but the 9 doesn't do anything for me.

Attachment DSCF7170+(Medium).JPG

I could not agree more.  This is a sweet feeling putter.


Edited by JASONR5, 13 September 2010 - 10:40 PM.


#19 RainShadow

RainShadow

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Location:Headed to Colorado......Screw Wa and the Rain!
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for the info on the Roman numeral series.  I found a # I at a thrift store for $3. Putts great, especially on fast greens.
Cobra BioCell+ Matrix Red Tie
XHot 15*3wd & 19* 5wd stock PX
Idea Pro Black 23* w/ Altus
Apex/ Apex pro combo Recoil 95
SM4 54/11 & 58/9 KBS Tour
TP Mills Soft Tail / SC Monterey 1.5

#20 Stu-Co

Stu-Co

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78674
  • Joined: 03/29/2009
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

View Postoldmannoodles, on 08 September 2010 - 09:09 PM, said:

Agreed scotchblade, the TPMs are great DIY project and no harm done if you mess up as they are so cheap. However, many of them are prone to rust up pretty quickly if not plated, so if you are looking for a keeper a proper finish would be recommended.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to black the heads?   I've used gun bluing kits and had some success, but yours look like a different finish.

Driver: 913 D3 - 9.5* (B1)
FW: 913 FD - 15* (B1)
Mizuno MP-30 Deuce
Irons: Titleist MB (3-PW)
Putter: SGC Northwood CS
Wedges: Vokey 56* & 60*

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 professor_doom

professor_doom

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103897
  • Joined: 02/24/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

I have a #6 I got free--the shop at a course was going to throw it out because the head was loose.  I just got the paint and rust and light scratching out with 100 grit sandpaper, sanded and buffed it smooth, re-did the paintfill, then torched it, re-did the paintfill and treated the finished product with silicone spray.  There are still a few dings but they don't affect play.  All told, it was maybe two hours of labor and a couple bucks' worth of materials to restore it.  If you don't have a torch, a gas stove burner on its high setting works.

The feel, you ask?  Oh boy, does it have feel!  I think the bizarre pencil-tip skinny shafts have something to do with it.  Thing is the only putter I really trust.  Kicked a cameron out of the bag for good.

#22 dalehead

dalehead

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33032
  • Joined: 06/27/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

View PostJASONR5, on 10 September 2010 - 12:54 PM, said:

View PostBILL12x, on 09 September 2010 - 06:19 PM, said:

View PostJASONR5, on 09 September 2010 - 03:55 PM, said:

Nice! How many of the regular number TPM's are there?
The following is from "HoosierGolfer" from another putter website:

Here is a new 2009 list of putters designed by T.P Mills for the Spalding Company.  This list is as of 3/24/2009.  I hope it helps with your collection and/or history questions.
M. Conner


Designed by T.P Mills Spalding's.  Chronological Order.

NOTE: Spalding marketed the T.P Mills (first numbered series) line of black finished putter's which were primarily designed as a flange style blade.  Each model was number, the insignia found on the heel side of the face.  Center of the face is noted by a dotted line cross, or crosshair.  In 1984 most of the T.P.M putters sold for $25.00 RN series and between $30.00 and $40.00 later versions.


The first series released in 1970 was the Roman Numeral Series.  Numbered I thru IX.  These were produced predominantly in carbon steel, although stainless steel versions do exist.  These were made with a black finish with the words Spalding Touring Pro Model engraved in the sole.  They have a sight oval on the top line.  They have the dotted line crosshair on the center face.  The insignia TPM with Roman Numeral number is engraved on the face at the heel.  These putters were shafted with True Temper 0.280 diameter shafts.  The shaft could be straight, step less with flute or stepped steel in head with a black ferrule.  The grips were a mix of either smooth black rubber pistol with Spalding in white or brown leather Spalding.  Paint fills were in white.  All were right hand only.
Numbers are; I – II – III – IV – V – VI – VII – VIII – IX.

The second series released in 1984 was the Numbered Series (first release).  Numbered 1 thru 14.  These were produced predominantly in carbon steel, although stainless steel versions do exist.  These were made with a black finish with the words Precision Ground (toe), Spalding (center), and Designed by T.P Mills (heel) engraved on the sole.  They have a sight dot on the top line.  They have the dotted line crosshair on the center face.  The insignia T.P.M with the number below is engraved in the face at the heel.  These putters were shafted with True Temper 0.280 diameter shafts in head with NO ferrule.  Most all of them were of the stepped steel type.  Paint fills were white.  Grips were smooth black rubber pistol with TPM or Spalding in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 14.  There was no number 13.  Number 10, was left hand only.  Number 14 is of the mallet type.

The third series released in 1985 was the Tour Series.  These were numbered 15 thru 19.  These were produced predominantly in stainless steel, although a few carbon versions are known to exist.  These were made with a black finish with the words Precision Ground (toe), Spalding (center), the number below Spalding (center) and Designed by T.P Mills (heel) engraved on the sole.  They have a sight dot on the top line.  NO crosshairs on the face of this model.  The insignia T.P.M with Tour Series below it was engraved on the face at the heel.  These putters were shafted with True Temper straight step less steel shafts in 0.350 diameter over stem.  Grips were black rubber textured with Tour Series in gold.  All paint fills were gold.
Numbers are; 15 – 16 – 17 – 18 – 19. All right handed.

The Numbered Series were re-released in 1991 with these changes.  The top line had a narrow line added the full length with a sight dot.  The faces of this release were brushed raw finish (no black).  Paint fill on the face engravings was in black. The number 12 had a milled pocket in this release.  Everything else remained the same as the same of the first release.  Grips were smooth black rubber pistol with TPM in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 – 12 – 14.  There was no number 13.  Number 14 was changed to a flange style in left hand.  Number 10 remained left hand only.

The Numbered Series were re-released again in 1994 with these changes.  The top line had a short wide line on each side of the sight dot about Ύ inch long.  Paint fill color of this line/dot was lime green.  Face paint fill color was black.  Sole paint fill was white. Crosshairs on face. Numbers 1, 9 and 19 had TPM engraved on the back with white paint fill.  These putters were cast and not forged or milled.  Most were black in color with a rough texture with the face brushed raw.  The number 9 was grey in color with a rough texture.  Shafts were True Temper step less steel in 0.280 in head with no ferrule.  Grips were black to dark grey wrapped textured with TPM in white.
Numbers are; 1 – 6 – 9 – 10 – 12 - 14 – 15 – 19 – 20.  Numbers 10 and 14 were left hand only.

The Gold Series was released in 1987 in Roman Numerals.  All were made of brass.  Paint fills were deep red.  Shafts were True Temper straight step less steel in 0.350 diameter over stem.  Grips were black rubber pistol type with Spalding or TPM.
Numbers are; I – II – III – IV.

Notes: Additional putters were released after 1994.  Registered Series was a black oxide long style Number 1 with a pocket, white paint fill with T.P Mills engraved on the face top near the toe.  This putter was also released as brass version.
There were a few other putters designed by Mr. Mills after he stopped working with Spalding released.  One was a Tour Series III.  Some of the first Numbered Series were released for the Japan market that had Cold Forged engraved in the bottom.

Thanks again.

Here is my small contribution to this thread.  I always liked the Mizuno line of Mills putters.


I agree on the Mills Mizuno line, but I read somewhere that T.P. was not happy with these putters.

Anyone know the rest of the story?

#23 NCGolfDude

NCGolfDude

    NCGolfDude

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119238
  • Joined: 12/22/2010
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

View Postoldmannoodles, on 08 September 2010 - 08:56 PM, said:

No probs. I've refinished about 30 of these TPMs and many are sensational pieces. The no.7 and no.12 have an incredible feel and would be well worth spending the cash on, but the 9 doesn't do anything for me.

Attachment DSCF7170+(Medium).JPG


Beautiful job you did- that's cool.  Quick question for you- I want to find one of these to try out, but before purchasing thought I'd ask your opinion.  I've heard the shafts are a little whippy- Does this hurt your putting or at least putting confidence?  Just curious- thanks



#24 NCGolfDude

NCGolfDude

    NCGolfDude

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119238
  • Joined: 12/22/2010
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:19 AM

View Postprofessor_doom, on 02 October 2010 - 12:57 PM, said:

I have a #6 I got free--the shop at a course was going to throw it out because the head was loose.  I just got the paint and rust and light scratching out with 100 grit sandpaper, sanded and buffed it smooth, re-did the paintfill, then torched it, re-did the paintfill and treated the finished product with silicone spray.  There are still a few dings but they don't affect play.  All told, it was maybe two hours of labor and a couple bucks' worth of materials to restore it.  If you don't have a torch, a gas stove burner on its high setting works.

The feel, you ask?  Oh boy, does it have feel!  I think the bizarre pencil-tip skinny shafts have something to do with it.  Thing is the only putter I really trust.  Kicked a cameron out of the bag for good.

i would love to know what the "torching" process is exactly- i'd like to try this but haven't a clue as to what kind of torch, how long to torch and whatnot...are you referring to one of those little propane torches i can buy at lowe's or somewhere like the one in this link - http://www.northernt...t_266859_266859
thanks

#25 Stu-Co

Stu-Co

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78674
  • Joined: 03/29/2009
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

If anyone would like a TP Mills to practice on, send me a PM.   I've got a couple kicking around waiting to be refinished.  


Driver: 913 D3 - 9.5* (B1)
FW: 913 FD - 15* (B1)
Mizuno MP-30 Deuce
Irons: Titleist MB (3-PW)
Putter: SGC Northwood CS
Wedges: Vokey 56* & 60*

#26 Dad-2-3

Dad-2-3

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104897
  • Joined: 03/16/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Apologies for resurrecting a very old thread, but I couldn't resist.

I recently lucked into finding a Spaulding TPM 12 at a local goodwill for $2. I was pleasantly surprised with the results on the practice green. It rolls great and has better feel than my current putter (an old SC Studio Design #2). It is rough to look at, but I plan on a slow refinish job as I get time.

A couple pics of the old girl.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 AHolman3

AHolman3

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130460
  • Joined: 06/10/2011
  • Location:Fostoria, OH
  • Ebay ID:Aholo3
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

I have a Tour Series 15 that my dads friend gave him when he shortly attempted to golf well after 2 yrs he quit n gave it to me.  Anyone know what material these are made of?  Id love to paint strip this n refinish it
910 D3 PX 7a3
910 FD PX 10a2
Razr X Tour 18deg Proforce V2 104X
710 AP2 PX 7.0 1 flat 2 strong
Vokey TVD M grind 50,55,60  PX 7.0
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

#28 super20dan

super20dan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:orange park florida
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

nothing beats the v toring pro model . no5 . aswsume look and feel. no 12 my second fav
73 hogan apex

#29 GooseHook

GooseHook

    Do you not?

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
  • Joined: 09/01/2010
  • Location:Ball-tee-more
GolfWRX Likes : 1802

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Look what I found in my dad's golf bag! Freakin' SOB was careful about it all along, and I never really looked closely cause the man can't putt:

vid 001.jpg
vid 004.jpg
vid 003.jpg
vid 002.jpg
SLDR 460, Elements Chrome 7F5T
PING G25 , Elements Chrome 8F5T
SLDR Rescue 19°, hM3 Black Tie
SLDR Rescue 24°, Speeder 9.8 HB
JPX 825 Pro/ MP- T4
Piretti Potenza
WITB Link

#30 captpat

captpat

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89701
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

I have the # VIII with a wooden back...should post pics.....


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors