Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Excessive hip turn in downswing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Exerve

Exerve

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120896
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

With the driver, at the start of my downswing my hips start rotating alot and when I get to impact my hips are rotated so much that my hands get stuck behind causing a huge slice. I think i need to restrict my hip turn in the downswing to get my hands and hips synced up in the downswing. This is really bugging me because Im a solid 6 handicap and hitting the irons and wedges very well. Anyone have any drills or tips to help me out?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 GawlfKnut

GawlfKnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114012
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

Do you really mean a slice or do you mean a push? Generally turning your hips faster than your shoulders will cause the ball to go straight right rather than starting straight or left and turning right. Either way you might want to try hitting some balls with a glove or towel under your left armpit and holding it there throughout the swing. This should help get your body turn in sync with your arms.

#3 Matt1960

Matt1960

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109706
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

View Postsidewinder0613, on 05 September 2010 - 04:45 PM, said:

With the driver, at the start of my downswing my hips start rotating alot and when I get to impact my hips are rotated so much that my hands get stuck behind causing a huge slice. I think i need to restrict my hip turn in the downswing to get my hands and hips synced up in the downswing. This is really bugging me because Im a solid 6 handicap and hitting the irons and wedges very well. Anyone have any drills or tips to help me out?

Its not normally that the hips outrace the arms, but that the arms get behind the body (stuck).
The arms need to stay in front of the torso throught the swing till at least mid followthrough. Then it does not matter how fast the hips are.
If this is the case, then I would try to put some pressure on the right arm, like feel that the elbow is pointing to your naval throught the backswing and downswing.

#4 northgolf

northgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79459
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

I had the same problem of the hands getting stuck behind me when I started my downswing with the the legs.  

The first thing that helped me was the Faldo drill.   I think that drill worked for me because the preset hands and arms with only shoulder rotation to the top of the backswing kept me from having run on hands/arms in the backswing.  The forward swing also had the feel that my right hand was in front of my shoulders/hip.  That feeling of the right hand being in front of my body has been a really good key for me and in the backswing it keeps me from getting the club in a position where I'll be stuck going forward.

The other feel I have on the forward swing is that my right hand is in front of my right forearm on the plane of the club shaft and the elbow is driving them on that plane while the shoulder is driving the elbow and the hip is driving the shoulder (again, the hand always feels like it is in front of the shoulder). This is the feeling I have in the bottom of the downswing coming into the ball  *-Edit: it also gives a sense that I could hit through the ball by straightening the right arm into the follow through*.

I'm probably being clear as mud, but try the faldo drill and see if it helps.

BTW, I was a solid 6.5 at the start of the season and my driver issues stalled me. I drifted up to an 8.1 until I hit the Faldo drill.  I'm back down to a 7.1 (will drop to below 6.5 on the next revision) and my driver is back under control.  The thing that is hurting me now is adjusting to my iron distances - they seem to be ~10 yards longer and I'm over shooting my target.

Edited by northgolf, 07 September 2010 - 10:52 AM.

#5 lobub

lobub

Don't be stupid, you moron!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114238
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

My dad has the same problem. He will normally hit a push-slice because his hips got way too far ahead and his arms got stuck behind him. I pointed this out to him and he said that the hips are supposed to fire before the arms - which is correct - but I think it can be overcooked - resulting in a push slice.
I played with a guy a few weeks ago who was told by his instructor to turn his hips toward the target before coming down with the arms. He looked like he was having a seizure because he was trying to turn his hips so fast which resulted in most of his shots, you guessed it, going right.

TI Superfast 1.0 10.5 deg w/ Kai'Li
Adams Speedline LP 15 deg
Adams Idea Tour Proto 20deg
TM RAC TP 2005 4-PW
Seemore FGP mallet
TM RAC TP Y 56

#6 smoothswinging14

smoothswinging14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2928

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

Without looking at video, it is hard to make an accurate evaluation of your problem.  My take on it is that by you rotating your hips open too much in the downswing, you are coming out to in.  A good drill would be to stand next to a wall, and on the downswing you maintain your hips closed and let the left hip hit the wall.

#7 Logie

Logie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53137
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:56 PM

Try a grad build up of the hips opening, i get to quick sometimes, so i practicing a pump type drill from the top. Let the arms drop and the hips turn a little, then rip through it and blast it straight! I have the same problem of shots going right (more of a push) when i get to aggresive with the hips

#8 Exerve

Exerve

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

View Postnorthgolf, on 07 September 2010 - 10:45 AM, said:

I had the same problem of the hands getting stuck behind me when I started my downswing with the the legs.  

The first thing that helped me was the Faldo drill.   I think that drill worked for me because the preset hands and arms with only shoulder rotation to the top of the backswing kept me from having run on hands/arms in the backswing.  The forward swing also had the feel that my right hand was in front of my shoulders/hip.  That feeling of the right hand being in front of my body has been a really good key for me and in the backswing it keeps me from getting the club in a position where I'll be stuck going forward.

The other feel I have on the forward swing is that my right hand is in front of my right forearm on the plane of the club shaft and the elbow is driving them on that plane while the shoulder is driving the elbow and the hip is driving the shoulder (again, the hand always feels like it is in front of the shoulder). This is the feeling I have in the bottom of the downswing coming into the ball  *-Edit: it also gives a sense that I could hit through the ball by straightening the right arm into the follow through*.

BTW, I was a solid 6.5 at the start of the season and my driver issues stalled me. I drifted up to an 8.1 until I hit the Faldo drill.  I'm back down to a 7.1 (will drop to below 6.5 on the next revision) and my driver is back under control.  The thing that is hurting me now is adjusting to my iron distances - they seem to be ~10 yards longer and I'm over shooting my target.

Thanks for the help. What is the faldo drill? never heard of this one, sounds interesting.

#9 northgolf

northgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79459
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

View Postsidewinder0613, on 07 September 2010 - 03:35 PM, said:

View Postnorthgolf, on 07 September 2010 - 10:45 AM, said:

Thanks for the help. What is the faldo drill? never heard of this one, sounds interesting.

Faldo pump drill:

#10 happyroman

happyroman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54651
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

When this happens in my swing, it is usually because I have not reached a fully coiled position at the top of the backswing. When I start the downswing, the hips have to then rotate a little before the "slack" is taken up and the shoulders are pulled by the rest of the torso rotation.  Because the hips have started early, they are too open at impact.

Do a search for the Faldo Drill.  In brief, you set up normally, then pre=set the hinge in the wrists with the shaft horizontal and parallel to the target line.  From this position, turn yous shoulders until you reach the fully coiled position at the top of the backswing.  From there, you can pump a few times, feeling the lower body pulling the shoulders, and then swing through.  

Here's a YouTube video that shows the drill  

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 ryanandrew_golf

ryanandrew_golf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181802
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

I have super fast hips. Try this:

It helps me

#12 Exerve

Exerve

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

View PostKnucklefade, on 08 September 2010 - 12:36 PM, said:

It helps me

That move makes sence. but wouldnt that be damaging to the swing though? the convential swing has the hips rotating, not sliding.

#13 mystic

mystic

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81784
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

View Postsidewinder0613, on 11 September 2010 - 01:10 PM, said:

View PostKnucklefade, on 08 September 2010 - 12:36 PM, said:

It helps me

That move makes sence. but wouldnt that be damaging to the swing though? the convential swing has the hips rotating, not sliding.

I don't think the "conventional swing" knows when the hips are sliding versus rotating.  I can assure you that all great strikers have a slide before the turn.  

It sounds like your turn is happening early, which will kill any lateral slide, and most likely your path becomes steep and/or out to in.

#14 Exerve

Exerve

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

Yes I am turning too early and my path is pretty steep. So you think the lateral slide move will help? and will this also shallow out the swing path?

#15 Evolved

Evolved

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50534
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

What do you do to start/trigger your downswing?

#16 Exerve

Exerve

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

My first move down is with my hands and hips. could a too quick transition starting the downswing cause this?

#17 smoothswinging14

smoothswinging14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2928

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

by having lateral motion of the hips in the beginning of your downswing, you will have a shallower angle of attack, because you won't be coming from over the top.  Try it, get to the top of the swing...move your hips laterally without spinning them opened.  Do your arms fall more downwards, right shoulder seems to move downwards?  I defnitely believe this will greatly improve your action.

#18 mystic

mystic

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

The lateral slide should increase your tilt away from the target and shallow your path.  To be honest, I don't think I have a downswing trigger, other than dig my feet in and hold on for the ride.  It's somewhat instinctive to move toward the target so I use my feet to dig in, moving the pressure to the front foot, and jumping up is really all I feel.  

We have seen in thousands of swings that the hips move lateral first, but we also see that they rotate.  The difference is your intention on this.. if you turned your hips as much as you could on your BS and then slid them forward, they would square to the target line.  3D guys like Zenolink and AMM have told us that the role of the hips in the kin sequence/link  is a very short movement, so the hips have to be in a strong stable position to do this.  Anywhere from 15 degrees closed to square of the target line would be a reasonable place for this 'firing' action.  Definitely not from a 40 degree closed position, like somewhere at the top of the backswing.

Here's a kid that pulls his hands down hard from the top.  His hips turn early and don't quite get enough push forward, and his path ends up steep from the outside.  he aims right and hits a rising pull fade.

#19 Sweet

Sweet

Builder for discerning Players

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109976
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

hit balls on your knees....

#20 Evolved

Evolved

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

View Postsidewinder0613, on 11 September 2010 - 01:36 PM, said:

My first move down is with my hands and hips. could a too quick transition starting the downswing cause this?

Try hands first, then hips. Start your downswing by pulling your hands straight down like you're pulling a chain or rope. This will help keep your right side connected and the hip rotation will pull your hands through impact.

I picked this up from a Sergio Garcia tip I read and it's worked well for me.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Exerve

Exerve

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it. I am going to try out the lateral hip move and hopefully it can shallow out my path and fix the nasty shot to the right.

#22 mystic

mystic

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

View PostEvolved, on 11 September 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

Try hands first, then hips. Start your downswing by pulling your hands straight down like you're pulling a chain or rope. This will help keep your right side connected and the hip rotation will pull your hands through impact.

the body will brace to support the pullling down of the hands on the back foot.  There will be less lateral and a little rotation.  If pulling down hard with the hands is your idea, I would recommend a hip action like vj trolio's missing piece (reverse slide?)

#23 Donly

Donly

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114615
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

Swing advice without seeing the swing is not good.

#24 Evolved

Evolved

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

View PostDonly, on 11 September 2010 - 09:30 PM, said:

Swing advice without seeing the swing is not good.

No doubt about it, it really should never been done. Without seeing a person's swing no one can really give correct advice. But it goes on all the time here so whatever.

#25 Evolved

Evolved

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

View Postmystic, on 11 September 2010 - 09:13 PM, said:

View PostEvolved, on 11 September 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

the body will brace to support the pullling down of the hands on the back foot.  There will be less lateral and a little rotation.  If pulling down hard with the hands is your idea, I would recommend a hip action like vj trolio's missing piece (reverse slide?)
Nope, none of that is going on.

And that's really why swing advice without video is dangerous. We're left making assumptions that may or may not be true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors