Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Birdie, Eagle, Albatross OK; but Condor and Ostrich?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18789
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

Now I've only been playing golf for 45 years.  I admit I'm not as good a player as some on GolfWRX and don't know as much about golf rules and history as some.  HOWEVER, in researching something else, I came across the terms "Condor" and "Ostrich" in Wikipedia-Golf.  The article claims "common scores for a hole also have specific terms" and mentions the usual suspects, bogey, par, birdie, eagle, etc.

However, while I've had a few birdies and eagles (and bogeys and double/triple bogeys) in my life; and even seen an albatross (double eagle) on TV, I have to admit I have never witnessed, or even ever heard of the terms "Condor" (4 under par) and "Ostrich" (5 under par).

I assume these would be fairly difficult to achieve and, therefore, rather rare?  I'm not sure I've ever witnessed a "hole in zero" because I'm pretty sure I'd remember it (even at an advanced age).  Perhaps there are more holes with par greater than five than I am aware of and someone achieved a hole in one (or two) to result in a condor or ostrich.

Maybe not.

Edited by Mainlinegolfer, 01 September 2010 - 11:31 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 littlepingman

littlepingman

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22678
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

I'd be careful believing things you read on wikipedia.

#3 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

View Postlittlepingman, on 01 September 2010 - 11:34 AM, said:

Really?  I read things on GolfWRX.  Are some things posted on the Internet not accurate?

#4 littlepingman

littlepingman

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22678
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

View PostMainlinegolfer, on 01 September 2010 - 11:37 AM, said:

Really?  I read things on GolfWRX.  Are some things posted on the Internet not accurate?

I'd be even more careful believing things that are posted on GolfWRX... :)

Edited by littlepingman, 01 September 2010 - 11:41 AM.

#5 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

View Postlittlepingman, on 01 September 2010 - 11:41 AM, said:

View PostMainlinegolfer, on 01 September 2010 - 11:37 AM, said:

I'd be even more careful believing things that are posted on GolfWRX... :)
I am shocked...SHOCKED!

Anyway, back to the OP.

#6 WichitaDuffer

WichitaDuffer

Just a duffer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102020
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:04 AM

I have seen one or two par 6 holes, but you would have to be the Hulk with the brand new Taylormade R-Howitzer to reach the green in 2 on them, much less hole it out.

#7 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:25 AM

I may be the only one intrigued with these terms because, despite having played golf for a long time, I had never heard of a "condor" or an "ostrich".  I Googled and found this on WikiAnswers:

Condor
Yes, it's happened at least several times.

Since almost nobody - even with today's supercharged equipment - can hit a 500-yard drive, the best place to look for par-5 aces are on those par-5 holes that are severe doglegs, or are even a bit horseshoe-shaped. On such holes, an intrepid long-hitter can attempt to cut a corner or clear trees or other hazards in order to go straight at the green, rather than playing around the dogleg in a normal fashion.

Holes-in-one on two such par-5s are known to have happened. One was even recorded with a 3-iron! That one was made by Shaun Lynch, playing at Teign Valley Golf Club in Christow, England, in 1995, on the 496-yard No. 17. According to a 2004 article in Golf World magazine, Lynch aimed straight toward the green on a horseshoe par-5, clearing a 20-foot-high hedge, then hitting a downslope on the other side.

The downslope carried his ball to the green and into the cup.

The first-known ace of this nature occurred in 1962, according to the Golf World article. "Larry Bruce took his drive over a stand of scrawny pines on the 480-yard dogleg right par-5 fifth hole at Hope Country Club" in Arkansas, and found the cup.

But there's also one hole-in-one known to have occurred on a straightaway par-5. This monster drive was achieved at altitude on the No. 9 hole at Green Valley Ranch Golf Club in Denver in 2002. The shot was 517 yards in length, and the golfer who got the ace was Mike Crean. This ace is believed to be the longest ever recorded. According to Matt Dribnak, Director of Sales and Marketing at the GVRGC, the hole-in-one was not witnessed, so according to the USGA this cannot be recognized as a hole-in-one.

What is a hole-in-one on a par-5 called? "Condor" is sometimes recognized as the "proper" term, but triple-eagle and double-albatross are also correct.

Remember, I'm only the messenger.

Edited by Mainlinegolfer, 07 September 2010 - 07:26 AM.

#8 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

Hole in zero. Would that be "missing the ball and sinking th divot"?

#9 ckay

ckay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14808
GolfWRX Likes : 951

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

As a kid, I would order a Guiness Book of World Records when the Scholastic Book catalogs were given out in grammar school.  I would always see if any new records were set for aces.  I remember reading about a few Par 5 Aces so they do exist.
Taylormade M4 440 10* Rogue 125 60 TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

#10 ahl3bomber

ahl3bomber

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81852
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

View Postsmith5606, on 07 September 2010 - 06:38 PM, said:

I think it could be "net" rather than gross...like an albatross when he was getting two strokes is a 2 for a 0.... or a net ostrich
a hole in one on a par 6 (although uncommon) is also an ostich

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

View Postahl3bomber, on 07 September 2010 - 10:22 PM, said:

View Postsmith5606, on 07 September 2010 - 06:38 PM, said:

I think it could be "net" rather than gross...like an albatross when he was getting two strokes is a 2 for a 0.... or a net ostrich
a hole in one on a par 6 (although uncommon) is also an ostich
I thought of "net" scores too.  However,

I've had a hole in one.
I've seen a hole in one.
In net tournaments, I've even been the victim of a 2, net 0.

BUT, a 3, net 1, is NOT a "hole in one" (nor is it an "ace" or "eagle"), IMHO.

Edited by Mainlinegolfer, 08 September 2010 - 07:36 AM.

#12 chughes60

chughes60

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1589
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

View PostMainlinegolfer, on 01 September 2010 - 11:29 AM, said:

Now I've only been playing golf for 45 years.  I admit I'm not as good a player as some on GolfWRX and don't know as much about golf rules and history as some.  HOWEVER, in researching something else, I came across the terms "Condor" and "Ostrich" in Wikipedia-Golf.  The article claims "common scores for a hole also have specific terms" and mentions the usual suspects, bogey, par, birdie, eagle, etc.

However, while I've had a few birdies and eagles (and bogeys and double/triple bogeys) in my life; and even seen an albatross (double eagle) on TV, I have to admit I have never witnessed, or even ever heard of the terms "Condor" (4 under par) and "Ostrich" (5 under par).

I assume these would be fairly difficult to achieve and, therefore, rather rare?  I'm not sure I've ever witnessed a "hole in zero" because I'm pretty sure I'd remember it (even at an advanced age).  Perhaps there are more holes with par greater than five than I am aware of and someone achieved a hole in one (or two) to result in a condor or ostrich.

Maybe not.
I beleive the supreme ruler of north Korea, Kim Jong Ill has made several birdies and condors since he sets the par # and then after he hits they cut the hole where his ball ends up.  That was back when he was an avid golfer in good health.

#13 maverick

maverick

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 671
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

View Postchughes60, on 28 September 2010 - 01:09 PM, said:

View PostMainlinegolfer, on 01 September 2010 - 11:29 AM, said:

Maybe not.
I beleive the supreme ruler of north Korea, Kim Jong Ill has made several birdies and condors since he sets the par # and then after he hits they cut the hole where his ball ends up.  That was back when he was an avid golfer in good health.

This is why I NEVER depend on Wikipedia. The "information" is put in by anyone. =) Maverick

#14 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9834
GolfWRX Likes : 517

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

There are par 6 holes and the USGA recommends par 6 for holes over 691 yards in length.

#15 dillyNZ

dillyNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24747
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

I had this question regarding an ace on a par 5 popup in a trivia game & the answer was infact a condor.I have never heard of the term Ostrich tho,handy one to know.

#16 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

Four under is also known as a 'vulture' in my part of the world. 

A handicap-assisted vulture has been scored at least once in club events at my old place. The 7th hole is a reachable par 5 of around 500 yards with a questionable stroke index that doles out a stroke to high single figure handicappers, some of whom can be expected to clonk it up to the green side in two shots every once in a while when the wind's behind. I can remember hearing about a bloke going one better, holing his second shot with a 4-wood or something and scoring a net one. In the 19th, as a soft drink-quaffing teenager, I discovered that such a score was termed a vulture.

#17 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

View Postmat562, on 19 October 2010 - 07:08 PM, said:

Four under is also known as a 'vulture' in my part of the world. 

A handicap-assisted vulture has been scored at least once in club events at my old place. The 7th hole is a reachable par 5 of around 500 yards with a questionable stroke index that doles out a stroke to high single figure handicappers, some of whom can be expected to clonk it up to the green side in two shots every once in a while when the wind's behind. I can remember hearing about a bloke going one better, holing his second shot with a 4-wood or something and scoring a net one. In the 19th, as a soft drink-quaffing teenager, I discovered that such a score was termed a vulture.
As wrote above, something achieved with the assistance of handicap strokes isn't really a birdie, or eagle (is a 3, net 1 a "hole in one"?).

Despite 40+ years of golf, I'd never heard of a condor or ostrich.  "Vulture" is also new to me; but it seems more appropriate to call the player a vulture, not the score.

#18 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

The true vultures at my club are the ones who come out of the woodwork whenever they get wind of a hole-in-one on Medal day and just happen to be in the bar when the maker of the ace is walking in for a post-round pint.

For what it's worth, I agree with you about the handicap thing. But since the only people claiming such feats (miraculous, wind-assisted clouts aside) as vultures/condors and ostriches are presumably off 28 handicaps, I say let them have their moment in the limelight. I'd need an occasional boost in my morale if I was shooting 100-odd every time I played and getting two strokes on par fives.

As far as the daft ones are concerned (e.g. 'net aces') I can't imagine even the most desperate-for-a-hole-in-one golfer would stoop so low. Would they?

Edited by mat562, 19 October 2010 - 07:49 PM.

#19 BogeyDog11

BogeyDog11

Don's Twin Brother!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113721
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

I played with a guy today who made a "turkey" just like in bowling.  Three is a row......birdies of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors