Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping g15 or i15? (or even older g10 Driver?)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Chicago Mac

Chicago Mac

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102108
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hi,  I'm going to a Ping fitting this Saturday.  Any feedback of the g15 or the i15 driver?  I"m a 12 hc and  tend to draw/hook the ball when I get in trouble so stayed away from Ping in the past but with the g15 having a standard and a draw bias and the i15 being fade bias,  thought I'd go with Ping.   I know the i15 is open but not sure if g15 is square or closed?  With the G15 standard (non draw bias) version any issues with hook?  Also, some g10s for good price out there - any feedback on the g10?
Thanks, Mac

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 freshprince99

freshprince99

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113704
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

i just got an i15 with a diamana whiteboard 83x 44". i built it to be accurate and ive been hitting it really straight on the range. i play a draw too and my miss is left so i like a little bit of fade bias in the head, i feel like i can release the club really freely with a fade biased head.

#3 rodge

rodge

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3304
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

I find no draw bias on the standard G15 at all.  I have two of them, a 9 degree and 10.5, both with PX 6.5 shafts, and they are just perfectly neutral with regards to ballflight.  Square face angles as well.  In fact, I'd be inclined to say that my 9 degree even has a slight fade bias.  They are ridiculously forgiving.

#4 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

View Postfreshprince99, on 30 August 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

i just got an i15 with a diamana whiteboard 83x 44". i built it to be accurate and ive been hitting it really straight on the range. i play a draw too and my miss is left so i like a little bit of fade bias in the head, i feel like i can release the club really freely with a fade biased head.

My miss is a strong draw or hook.  My old G10 which I played for over a year, had a slight tendency to do this, although much less so than my driver before that, a TM Burner 07 which I also played for over a year.  My current G15 which i've had for 3 months, is a fantastic driver, wants to go straight, no bias for fade or draw.  Believe me, it is longer and more forgiving than the G10 and is worth a slight premium in price.  Still, $299 new is a good deal, imho.  I play the 10.5 degree head with stock tfc shaft in R flex.  Just off the rack, my best driver ever.  Current HC index is 9.3.

#5 MCCA

MCCA

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2694
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

I'm a 7.1 and just picked up a G15 10.5 with the stock ping shaft, I hit this driver about 5-7 yards longer than my adams speedline and a much higer trajectory. with roll. I'm not going to monkey with the shaft for now.

#6 mbs_paddy

mbs_paddy

Matt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108591
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

i hook the ball too but i have a G15 9 degree with the serrano in X.  i agree that it is square and it is not that easy to hook.  i would go with the i15 only if you play a hook and not really a draw.  i think the g15 is much better because of the forgiveness and the i15 feels dead to me.

#7 feetup

feetup

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 887 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40216
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

I play a small draw typically, with a fade being the weak shot.  I demo'd the i15 with stock (TFC) stiff shaft and the results were effortless long straight bombs to 5 yard fades.  With the shaft being much looser than the WB i play in the FT-9, i knew i had to swing smoothly, but kudos to the TFC shaft and the i15 head, it was square at impact and gave me results worthy of a second look.  I could play the i15 as demo'd all day and not feel tired or that i had to really put a perfect move on it in order to be confident of its destination, and if the Ft-9/WB combo becomes a problem i will switch it out for the i15 without a second thought.
BBA 9.0 ZT 60 X
RFE 15* Fubuki Z 85 X
XHP 18* Fubuki 415 X
MP-64/MP-4 4-PW Px 5.5
Odyssey White Hot Tour
MPT-10 52,56,60 Px 5.5

#8 DNice26

DNice26

Major Winner

• 2,625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

I have the TM SFTP, the Supertri and the G15.  Used to have an i15 with Kai'li.

G15 is my baby now (with Oban Devotion Shaft).  Quite simply...it is long and straight....Point and shoot.  I agree with previous poster.....I don't see ANY draw bias to my G15 setup.  As a matter of fact, I try to draw the ball.....which is exactly what I hope for in a driver.....to have to try and draw it.  The SFTP just wanted to go left and I couldn't do anything it seemed, to stop it.  

If you ask me, different sticks do lead to VERY different results......it is NOT always the Indian.....
Ping G30 10.5, AD DI 7X, 45"
TM RBZ S2, Blue Board X
Mizuno MP64 5-PW, C-Taper S+
Titleist SM5, 50S, 56S & 60K
Scotty Kombi S, 34" SS 3.0

#9 johnnybogey

johnnybogey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36111
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Just played Bethpage this past sunday with the G15 + Project X combo. I was truly impressed with this setup / combo. Not once did I see the left side of the fairway (right handed golfer) unless I came OTT.  :)
TM R1 Black GD Tour AD-DI 7s
Ping G10 15* hybrid
Callaway Apex 4-AW XP95
Cleveland CG14 54*
Ping iWedge 56*, Ping Tour Gorge 60* TS
Ping Ketsch
WITB Link

#10 SpinMill75

SpinMill75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66455
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

My miss is a hook, with that said I really like the I15, G10, Rapture V1 or 2 over the G15.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Triple B

Triple B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108617
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

If you are going to a Ping van fitting situation don't count on them having G10s to demo.

Personally I love the i15.  Keep in mind the face is not open though...it is just internally weighted to deliver the fade bias.  The G15 just launched too high for me where the i15 was a perfect combination of spin and launch for my swing (stock shaft too).  I also like the look, feel and sound better vs the G15.

You are going to need to try both out and see for yourself though, both are excellent products.

#12 Chicago Mac

Chicago Mac

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hi, Thanks for all the good feedback.  Went to the Ping fitting and you were right about the G15 not having any hook/draw issues, so I'm going with the G15.
They fit me with:
G15 driver, 10.5*, Serrano regular shaft

G15 4 fairway wood, TFC regular shaft

I'm kind of between stiff and regular and the TFC felt great on the 4 wood, but a little soft on the driver.
Any experience with the Serrano 60 shaft?

Thanks, Mac

#13 pdaero

pdaero

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56310
  • Handicap:1.8
  • Ebay ID:pdhch85
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hey Mac,

The G15 is the best driver I have ever hit. The i15 was ok and the flight was nice, but the feel just wasn't there for me. I am a stickler against closed clubheads, and the G15 was straight.. feels like butter too.

To be honest, you can flex up with the stock TFC, it plays soft. I think the Serrano plays a good bit stiffer, even though it has higher torque than most shafts.
TI TMAG R510TP 9* w/ MFS 65
PING i15 15.5* 3 wood w/ Tour Only XDV8
PING 20* i15 w/ Ozik Altus Hybrid X
Mizuno MP32 3-P w/ SS'd KBS Tour X
PING Anser Milled 0 34"
Vokey SM4 TVD 53*, 58* w/ S400

#14 spark

spark

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19900
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:18 AM

Anybody has suggestion for a shaft that will bring down launch and spin? I got one in 9 degrees (wished I could get one in 7.5 - hello PING???) with the Serrano shaft and although it feels and sounds nice, I just hit it way too high.......

#15 elcantante

elcantante

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62244
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

View PostChicago Mac, on 13 September 2010 - 08:25 PM, said:

Hi, Thanks for all the good feedback.  Went to the Ping fitting and you were right about the G15 not having any hook/draw issues, so I'm going with the G15.
They fit me with:

I'm kind of between stiff and regular and the TFC felt great on the 4 wood, but a little soft on the driver.

Thanks, Mac

Good choice going with the G15 driver. As for the Serrano 60 shaft, I personally preferred the TFC in my 9 degree PING G15 driver.  Did you try any i15 fairway woods?.. I actually preffered the i15 fairway to the G15.. However the G15 driver is better than the i15. I pretty decent ball striker, I found I hit the i15 driver  with Mamiya shaft good during demo days and at the range and wanted to love the i15/mamiya combo, unfortunately on the course I missed badly, so I went with the G15 driver which was automatic... Back to the fairways I found the i15 fairway longer and hotter than the G15 and might add an i15 fairway wood in my bag soon

#16 HackerDave

HackerDave

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

They fit me with:

Thanks, Mac

Hi Mac,

I am in the exact same position (between flexes) and I bought the exact same driver you ordered.  I LOVE IT!!!   It has really changed my entire attitude toward my game.   It is long but it is so accurate that I don't even think about bad things when I step to the tee.  I now hit driver where I used to hit 3 wood to "play safe" because the driver is automatic.   Sorry if I sound like a cheerleader, but man do I love this driver.   Index dropped almost 3 strokes this year and I attribute most of it to being more consistent off the tee.  

The TFC was a little to whippy and the ball flight was a LOT higher.   The Serrano brings is down a bit and I like the trajectory.  I was playing around with the idea of picking up the 4 wood also but I'm hitting the old TM Burner 3 wood pretty good.    You are going to LOVE the new driver.  

Dave

#17 Chicago Mac

Chicago Mac

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

View PostHackerDave, on 14 September 2010 - 09:06 AM, said:

They fit me with:

Thanks, Mac

Hi Mac,

I am in the exact same position (between flexes) and I bought the exact same driver you ordered.  I LOVE IT!!!   It has really changed my entire attitude toward my game.   It is long but it is so accurate that I don't even think about bad things when I step to the tee.  I now hit driver where I used to hit 3 wood to "play safe" because the driver is automatic.   Sorry if I sound like a cheerleader, but man do I love this driver.   Index dropped almost 3 strokes this year and I attribute most of it to being more consistent off the tee.  

The TFC was a little to whippy and the ball flight was a LOT higher.   The Serrano brings is down a bit and I like the trajectory.  I was playing around with the idea of picking up the 4 wood also but I'm hitting the old TM Burner 3 wood pretty good.    You are going to LOVE the new driver.  

Dave

Thanks for the feedback as I just order it so nice to hear someone also between flex likes the Serrano in regular flex.  I was a little worried at first with the Serrano being marketed as stronger low/mid trajectory, but during the fitting I hit it at nice mid to high trajectory and sounds like your trajectory is good. Base on feedback sounds like Serrano good shaft for those between flex.  I also found the TFC in regular a little whippy/high trajectory for me in the driver, but fine in the 4 wood as I don't really go after 4 wood as use for contol placement type shots.  4 wood so east to hit. Thanks, Mac

#18 enotsyer

enotsyer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87814
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

View PostChicago Mac, on 14 September 2010 - 10:53 AM, said:

View PostHackerDave, on 14 September 2010 - 09:06 AM, said:

They fit me with:

Thanks, Mac

Hi Mac,

Dave

Thanks for the feedback as I just order it so nice to hear someone also between flex likes the Serrano in regular flex.  I was a little worried at first with the Serrano being marketed as stronger low/mid trajectory, but during the fitting I hit it at nice mid to high trajectory and sounds like your trajectory is good. Base on feedback sounds like Serrano good shaft for those between flex.  I also found the TFC in regular a little whippy/high trajectory for me in the driver, but fine in the 4 wood as I don't really go after 4 wood as use for contol placement type shots.  4 wood so east to hit. Thanks, Mac

Great purchase, you won't be disappointed.  I also notice that my 9 degree G15 is pretty tough to turn over for a game improvement club!

#19 pcirelli

pcirelli

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65717
  • Ebay ID:pcirelli
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

I went with the I15 over the G15 after a recent fitting and have been very happy with the stock UST Axivcore Tour Red stiff shaft. I thought for sure I'd end up with the G15, but I was a lot more consistent with the I15. Good luck!~
-Pete

#20 Chicago Mac

Chicago Mac

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

View Postelcantante, on 14 September 2010 - 08:35 AM, said:

They fit me with:

Thanks, Mac

Good choice going with the G15 driver. As for the Serrano 60 shaft, I personally preferred the TFC in my 9 degree PING G15 driver.  Did you try any i15 fairway woods?.. I actually preffered the i15 fairway to the G15.. However the G15 driver is better than the i15. I pretty decent ball striker, I found I hit the i15 driver  with Mamiya shaft good during demo days and at the range and wanted to love the i15/mamiya combo, unfortunately on the course I missed badly, so I went with the G15 driver which was automatic... Back to the fairways I found the i15 fairway longer and hotter than the G15 and might add an i15 fairway wood in my bag soon

Hi,  To answer your question about the Ping fairway woods.  I tried both the G15 and i15 3 wood.  Really like them both.  Would have been happy with either one as both easy to hit and forgiving, but went with the G15 as a little more forgiving.  Once I decided on the G15 I compared the 3 wood to the 4 wood and found the 4 wood even eaisier to hit and only had to give up a little yardage.   Good luck, Mac

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Lenny Intensity

Lenny Intensity

Advanced

• 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59325
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

I've got a G15 10.5 degree (8 index).  Demo'd this with both the Serrano and TFC, hated the TFC, liked the Serrano just fine but ended up ordering it with the Axivcore Red 69 S (which I hadn't hit, just a hunch I'd like it better than the stock offerings) straight from the factory from Discount Dan's for a $30 upcharge, which I didn't think was a bad deal at all ($329 shipped).  First full price new driver I've bought in 5 years (usually ho used drivers on ebay, but won $330 in a US Open pool, thanks Graeme!).  I ordered this at 45" rather than the stock 46".  After half a season, I can say I hit this combo extremely straight, usually fight a hook but not so much with this club, don't see a draw bias at all.  However, I took it out on the course head to head with my old Burner 07 TP 9.5 with a Blueboard, and I was straighter with the Ping but a consistent 10-20 yards longer with the Burner.  Long story short, I got a cheap Blueboard pull off ebay, put it in the G15, and it's magic, at 44.5" as well.  Can't miss with this combo, and it's super long for me.  The G15 is the most forgiving driver head I've ever hit, and it's plenty long when paired with the right shaft.  If you're not getting the results you want with the G15, it may be the shaft and/or the 46 inch shaft.
Ping G25 9.5* Fuji Fuel 70x
Ping G25 15* X100
VSteel 18* X100
Nike VRS Forged C-Taper KBS Tour S 4-P
Callway Mack Daddy 2 47*/54*/60*
Scotty Cameron California Fastback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors