Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best driver Head/Shaft combos for 90 swing speed?


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 KingMike

KingMike

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73160
  • Joined: 01/18/2009
  • Location:Oregon
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

I'm looking at a buddy's R510 TP with a Speeder 757 in stiff, but I'm afraid it might be too much club. I've got a very smooth tempo with a slight cut, producing generally dead straight shots with the occasional draw if I'm lucky. My misses are pulls and blocks, generally.

Adams A3os grafalloy red hybrid 3
TA V25's s300
Cleveland Classic 5.5 cs

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1

#2 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 671

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

View PostKingMike, on 29 August 2010 - 10:56 PM, said:

I'm looking at a buddy's R510 TP with a Speeder 757 in stiff, but I'm afraid it might be too much club. I've got a very smooth tempo with a slight cut, producing generally dead straight shots with the occasional draw if I'm lucky. My misses are pulls and blocks, generally.

Have you tried a 12* driver?  You might be shocked at what the carry distance will do for you with a 90 swingspeed.

2

#3 jol

jol

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110098
  • Joined: 06/27/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:44 AM

Agree. In the most recent Golf Digest Magazine, there was an article on driver fitting which emphasized the point that at average swing speeds (85-90 mph) the launch angle was more important than the spin rate, while for those with "pro" level swing speeds (110+ mph) a change in spin rate had a greater impact on distance than did the launch angle.  

For example with a ball speed of 125 mph (about 86 mph ss) there was an increase of almost 10 yards with a launch angle of 16 degrees versus 8 degrees at the same spin rate of 3500 RPM.  

If your buddy is using a stiff shaft and it is working for him, his ss is probably faster than 90 mph and I'll guess that the loft is 9.5 degrees.  Try a with a higher lofted driver.

View Postbluedot, on 30 August 2010 - 05:37 AM, said:

View PostKingMike, on 29 August 2010 - 10:56 PM, said:

I'm looking at a buddy's R510 TP with a Speeder 757 in stiff, but I'm afraid it might be too much club. I've got a very smooth tempo with a slight cut, producing generally dead straight shots with the occasional draw if I'm lucky. My misses are pulls and blocks, generally.

Have you tried a 12* driver?  You might be shocked at what the carry distance will do for you with a 90 swingspeed.


3

#4 bintandream

bintandream

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15899
  • Joined: 07/04/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:23 AM

Hi there.
I completely agree with the above posters.  My driver clubhead speed is 94 mph and I've had good results with higher launching combinations.  I am partial to PING clubheads for the higher launch and also stick to shafts with low to mid kickpoints. I listed a few combos that I've either tried or still have.

G10 with GD Quattrotech 55
G10 with GD DI-5
G15 with Diamana Ilima 60
TM Superquad with Matrix Ozik X-con 5
Titleist 909 D2 with Fuji Rombax 5X07
Callaway FT-I with UST Axivcore blue
Callaway FT3 with GD M-55
Cleveland HiBore XL with Diamana redboard

All lofts 10.5 except the FT3 which is 11.  All shafts R flex and all in 50gram range except the Ilima and Redboard which are in the 60 gram range.

4

#5 jol

jol

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110098
  • Joined: 06/27/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

I have both a TM R9 460 and the Titleist 909 D2 shafted with XCon 5 - Regular shafts in 10.5 lofts and both perform well for me.
An Accra XT 50 3M was also recommended, but I haven't tried it.

View Postbintandream, on 30 August 2010 - 07:23 AM, said:

Hi there.
I completely agree with the above posters.  My driver clubhead speed is 94 mph and I've had good results with higher launching combinations.  I am partial to PING clubheads for the higher launch and also stick to shafts with low to mid kickpoints. I listed a few combos that I've either tried or still have.

G10 with GD Quattrotech 55
G10 with GD DI-5
G15 with Diamana Ilima 60
TM Superquad with Matrix Ozik X-con 5
Titleist 909 D2 with Fuji Rombax 5X07
Callaway FT-I with UST Axivcore blue
Callaway FT3 with GD M-55
Cleveland HiBore XL with Diamana redboard

All lofts 10.5 except the FT3 which is 11.  All shafts R flex and all in 50gram range except the Ilima and Redboard which are in the 60 gram range.


5

#6 Titus

Titus

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18389
  • Joined: 08/25/2006
  • Location:Clifton, NJ
  • Ebay ID:Titus47
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

Ping G15, 12* of loft with TFC regular flex shaft at D2.

Good luck!

6

#7 pwrfade

pwrfade

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16127
  • Joined: 07/12/2006
  • Location:Georgia
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:dfb7
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

on a whim I picked up a 12* Ping Rapture V2 - popped in a Blueboard 63 in regular tipped 3/4 of an inch and have been shocked by the results - swingspeed is around 95mph and I am getting as optimal numbers as I can expect with my swing 'flaws' - dispersion is great and I finally again have some confidance on the tee box

You can find them on the cheap - I was at a PGA Superstore and they had a couple of 12* with Blueboards still going for $299 - not all the bad really when you consider the quality of head and shaft - you can also pick them up on EBAY - I picked up an extra 12 degree head to tinker with other shafts - found one in great shape from reputable seller (had the stock green shaft however) and got it for $125

Edited by pwrfade, 31 August 2010 - 03:32 PM.


7

#8 CosmosMpower

CosmosMpower

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59034
  • Joined: 06/27/2008
  • Location:Dallas, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 345

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

View Postpwrfade, on 31 August 2010 - 03:31 PM, said:

on a whim I picked up a 12* Ping Rapture V2 - popped in a Blueboard 63 in regular tipped 3/4 of an inch and have been shocked by the results - swingspeed is around 95mph and I am getting as optimal numbers as I can expect with my swing 'flaws' - dispersion is great and I finally again have some confidance on the tee box

You can find them on the cheap - I was at a PGA Superstore and they had a couple of 12* with Blueboards still going for $299 - not all the bad really when you consider the quality of head and shaft - you can also pick them up on EBAY - I picked up an extra 12 degree head to tinker with other shafts - found one in great shape from reputable seller (had the stock green shaft however) and got it for $125

I just demo'd a used Rapture V2 with a 63 blueboard in R flex, didn't like it.  Too bad as it was only $150.00 and in mint shape.

I use a 10.5 degree Nike 5900 head with a reg 65 gram Proforce V2 and it works great.  Did the bridgestone ball fitting and was swinging around 98 mph with a 14 degree launch angle and around 3200 rpm spin.

Edited by CosmosMpower, 31 August 2010 - 03:57 PM.

TM M1 430 9.5* DI-6
TM M2 3HL 16.5*
Ping i25 19* hybrid
Ping i25 4-PW CFS
Ping Gorge 50/54/58 CFS
Ping Anser IWI Superstroke Flatso

8

#9 duffer888

duffer888

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22282
  • Joined: 11/29/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 221

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

FWIW, I was getting 14+* of launch and good spin numbers with a 10.5* Mizuno MP-600 and Fuji E360 R shaft.  My SS can be anywhere from 85-95 mph.  So you may not have to go to a 12*.  I don't go lower than 10.5* on my driver and stay away from any low launch/high bend shafts.
Mix n match combo of...
Ping G30 driver
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w/3h
Titleist AP1 712 4-W
Callaway X-Tour 54/58
Callaway 2-Ball
TM Lethal / Pro V1x
Sun Mountain Swift X

9

#10 KingMike

KingMike

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73160
  • Joined: 01/18/2009
  • Location:Oregon
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:18 AM

I really appreciate all the detailed info, guys. Hmm . . . a 12* head. What kind of roll are you guys getting? I'm hitting a 983k/Speeder Xstiff at 8.5* (totally wrong for my SS, I know!) and I get some decent roll out of it.  So you're saying I'll make that up with the higher launch I guess. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks, bintandream, for your list!

Adams A3os grafalloy red hybrid 3
TA V25's s300
Cleveland Classic 5.5 cs

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#11 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 671

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:47 AM

View PostKingMike, on 03 September 2010 - 02:18 AM, said:

I really appreciate all the detailed info, guys. Hmm . . . a 12* head. What kind of roll are you guys getting? I'm hitting a 983k/Speeder Xstiff at 8.5* (totally wrong for my SS, I know!) and I get some decent roll out of it.  So you're saying I'll make that up with the higher launch I guess. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks, bintandream, for your list!

Wow!  If you are hitting that setup with a SS of 90, you are going to LOVE a 12* with an R or S flex quality shaft.  Seriously, there are very few guys on Tour anymore playing an 8.5; Bubba Watson uses a 10.5, I believe.

As to roll, don't worry about it.  TOTAL distance is all that matters, and with a 12* that will be as good or better than what you are using with far more control, not to mention better results on forced carries.

I'm 58 yrs. old with a SS of 95, and play to a 4 handicap.  I tell myself that I'm not going to long off the tee no matter what I use; with a 12* I'm long enough, I just don't miss many fairways, and the ones I do miss I don't miss by far.  I take money many, many Sat. mornings from young men who can hit it past me but can't find it.

Try the 12* and forget what it says on the bottom of the club; just look at your results.  You might be really pleased.

11

#12 Reidman

Reidman

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81356
  • Joined: 04/27/2009
  • Ebay ID:reidman12
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

I'm 42, with a driver swing speed at 95, which puts me on the fence between regular and stiff.

For $150, you can get a new nike dymo or dymo2 str8, with the stock, high launching UST shaft. I play the Dymo2 in 10.5. Solid feel, high launch, low spin. And I still keep up with the long hitters.
Ping G 10.5 Whiteboard Stiff
Adams TL Ti 15, 19 Aldila Tour Red Stiff
Mizuno MP H5 4-P
Mizuno T5 50, 55, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
Callaway Chrome Soft
Handicap 4.2

12

#13 KingMike

KingMike

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73160
  • Joined: 01/18/2009
  • Location:Oregon
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

Cool - I'm definitely going shopping for more loft. Thanks, bluedot. Why I didn't put the loft/accuracy thing together, I don't know. I suppose I just liked the look of that lower trajectory, though I was paying for it with pull hooks and blocks. A couple of those can really ruin a round as I'm sure you well know. So you guys generally hit it pretty high with your "lofty" setups? If so, how do windy conditions factor in that case? Thanks!


Adams A3os grafalloy red hybrid 3
TA V25's s300
Cleveland Classic 5.5 cs

13

#14 JCLJorgenson

JCLJorgenson

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113607
  • Joined: 08/27/2010
  • Location:San Diego, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

Swing speed and loft aren't alwasy correlated, so that lower speed equals more loft.  My swing speed is around 90 and I had a 10.5 regular that got my about 225 yards in total distance.  But my launch angle and spin was really high - lots of carry and no roll.  After getting fitted for a 9.5 regular, I now average about 245 yards.

14

#15 JCLJorgenson

JCLJorgenson

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113607
  • Joined: 08/27/2010
  • Location:San Diego, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

Swing speed and loft aren't alwasy correlated, so that lower speed equals more loft.  My swing speed is around 90 and I had a 10.5 regular that got my about 225 yards in total distance.  But my launch angle and spin was really high - lots of carry and no roll.  After getting fitted for a 9.5 regular, I now average about 245 yards.  get fitted and see what is best


15

#16 JCLJorgenson

JCLJorgenson

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113607
  • Joined: 08/27/2010
  • Location:San Diego, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

Swing speed and loft aren't alwasy correlated, so that lower speed equals more loft.  My swing speed is around 90 and I had a 10.5 regular that got my about 225 yards in total distance.  But my launch angle and spin was really high - lots of carry and no roll.  After getting fitted for a 9.5 regular, I now average about 245 yards.  get fitted and see what is best for you.   Most will do ti

16

#17 illmatik53

illmatik53

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357297
  • Joined: 01/10/2015
  • Ebay ID:illmatik53
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:45 PM

Bumping and old thread for an update with new equipment/technology/evolution. Lol. I read in golf digest maybe, that for slower swing speeds, lighter shafts are better less focus on the flex. And for faster swingspeeds it's more focus on the flex and less on the weight (heavier).  A slow swing with a heavy club apparently still makes the ball fly due to the "smack" that it can deliver. A lighter club can whip through the ball using speed. There's a bunch of sayings that have arisen nearly the last decade. Any revisions to this setup?

Focus on equipment?
Focus on hitting up?
Focus on swinging the clubhead faster?
Focus on "hitting" the ball harder?
Focus on most forgiving driver?
Focus on the best driver shaft?

Is swingspeed still king of distance? Or can distance be achieved in other ways?

I.e. American muscle or import tuners? Two ways to go fast...but there's the saying "there's no replacement for displacement." But tech seems to be catching up....ludicrous mode anyone? (Tesla)
915D2 Speeder 661 Tour Spec S
915F 15* Diamana Blue
915H 2 21* Diamana Blue
4-9 714 MB KBS Tour 90
46* SM4 (bent from 48)
52, 56, 60 TVD-M
Epon i-33 putter 34" 68* lie

17

#18 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Murcia - Spain - Europe
GolfWRX Likes : 1804

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:33 AM

Ball speed is the king of distance, and to maximize ball speed we need equipment that fits us and make us able to pure it.
The rest is a question of playing conditions and priorities like maximized carry or total, or a mix in-between.

18

#19 illmatik53

illmatik53

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357297
  • Joined: 01/10/2015
  • Ebay ID:illmatik53
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:54 PM

So that being said... if changing attack angle can gain someone distance without increasing clubhead speed, what would someone who swings under 100mph need to be setup at in order to hit 260/275 range? and the like for the rest of the clubs in their bag?

It's been proven by players on trackman that just simply changing attack angle can sometimes garner 10-15yds. But is that enough to bring a slower swing speed player up to par with a high swing speed player? Which I believe the thread is alluding to...

Those short par 4's, 310yds... high ss can drive and try to eagle.  what can a slower ss player do to keep up? What combination of equipment would help them perform?
915D2 Speeder 661 Tour Spec S
915F 15* Diamana Blue
915H 2 21* Diamana Blue
4-9 714 MB KBS Tour 90
46* SM4 (bent from 48)
52, 56, 60 TVD-M
Epon i-33 putter 34" 68* lie

19

#20 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Murcia - Spain - Europe
GolfWRX Likes : 1804

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

View Postillmatik53, on 11 October 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

So that being said... if changing attack angle can gain someone distance without increasing clubhead speed, what would someone who swings under 100mph need to be setup at in order to hit 260/275 range? and the like for the rest of the clubs in their bag?

It's been proven by players on trackman that just simply changing attack angle can sometimes garner 10-15yds. But is that enough to bring a slower swing speed player up to par with a high swing speed player? Which I believe the thread is alluding to...

Those short par 4's, 310yds... high ss can drive and try to eagle.  what can a slower ss player do to keep up? What combination of equipment would help them perform?

We dont make much influence on TOTAL by a change in angle of attack, we mostly change carry.
If launch angle is to low (for optimized carry), hitting up in the ball will for sure help, but not on total.
On the other hand, changing a players swing can be a long job, and if the swing works, we can get him out there even without a positive angle of attack..

Im out of photo quota again, but ive already posted whats needed to know to optimize a driver, and in that tread there is examples with Trackman reports from my studio of 2 players in the 90 -94 mph range who is typical for many regular players.

This 2 players makes a "school example" for what really matters here, and thats not angle of attack.
There is posts of interest both above and below the one im linking to, but that one goes strait into the math for the 2 players.

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry13097400


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 illmatik53

illmatik53

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357297
  • Joined: 01/10/2015
  • Ebay ID:illmatik53
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:42 PM

Thanks howard, i read through some of those charts. Took me a while but i get the gist. So how does that translate to the rest of the clubs in the bag? Is it the same concept? It wouldn't make sense if the disparity between driver to 3w was 60yds would it?

Does this concept apply to all the rest of the clubs in the bag?
915D2 Speeder 661 Tour Spec S
915F 15* Diamana Blue
915H 2 21* Diamana Blue
4-9 714 MB KBS Tour 90
46* SM4 (bent from 48)
52, 56, 60 TVD-M
Epon i-33 putter 34" 68* lie

21



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors