Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Which Fairway Wood Has the Largest Head Size

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GolfHeaven

GolfHeaven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84589
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Am about to jump in and buy a #5 fairway wood with the G15 as a frontrunner.  

I was curious what fairway wood has the largest head size as that might suggest
it would be more forgiving.

Any thoughts?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 gxDD

gxDD

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273471
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

Larger head = more forgiving = impossible to hit off the deck (for me)

If you're looking for a good 5 wood for tee shots I'd try the Burner Superfast fairway woods.  Otherwise you're probably headed in the right direction with the G15.
913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
                910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
                712CB - KBS Tour S+
                SM4 - KBS Tour S
                2014 Fastback
                ProV1x

#3 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

View PostJTYP726, on 29 August 2010 - 09:20 PM, said:

Larger head = more forgiving = impossible to hit off the deck (for me)

If you're looking for a good 5 wood for tee shots I'd try the Burner Superfast fairway woods.  Otherwise you're probably headed in the right direction with the G15.

If you're looking for a larger headed fw, try the original Ping Raptures with titanium head.  You can buy them cheap used and, if available, cheap new, compared to the original prices which were way way up there.  Very neutral head, little or no offset.

I've got the 5 wood which is actually a strong 5 at 17 degree.  Extremely reliable off the tee and pretty good off the deck as well.  

However, I would say that many people like the smalled headed, thin fw woods off the deck.  It is really personal preference.

Edited by atlanta golfer, 29 August 2010 - 09:26 PM.

#4 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

I too have inquired, came up mostly empty on answers but came to a realization. Head size is not the real criteria. The real criteria are face dimensions, weight and balance. Head size is a misleading criteria that will not answer the question. "I was curious what fairway wood has the largest head size as that might suggest it would be more forgiving."

If you were to elongate the club head as many have done  then the volume has increased i.e larger head size in c.c.  But this has done nothing to change the size of the face. Thus total head size or cc is a very flawed measurement.  The Cleveland clubs revealed that to me. Long front to back but small face.

Rather the quest should be to find a more forgiving face dimension and weighting. Unfortunately this data is very lacking on the web, Manufacturers spend a lot of time hyping the wonders but not hyping the dimensions. I hate that fact.

My personal opinion is that I just love about anything the Callaway puts out. I have had success with others periodically but Callaway is a dependable sure thing for me.  However I add lead strips to the shaft above the hosel. Probably 6 1 inch wide strips 6-8 inches long.  This illustrates the weighting criteria element of my argument vs. cc head size.  Likewise the Callaway's have a generous face dimension. Certainly not huge compared to others but also definitely not pushing the envelope in terms of narrow and shallow like some makers. I have a 2008 TayloMade Tour Burner for sale right now. It is way too light and the face and head  is not to my liking in terms of confidence. The entire assembly as a whole is not to my liking at all. The ball flight spraying all over results is the deciding factor to say goodbye.Too light. Others however may swear by it.  It will not be doctored and made to work by me for too reasons. 1) It is too pretty. 2) It is the opposite of what I need to begin with i.e. light weight. I would have to void the intentional design and then add more weight. Why? just get a heavy one to begin with and then add weight.

In summary head size in cc is not what we should focus on. Rather look for a face that is not a turn off in terms of confidence. One that scares you because it is too shallow or narrow etc.  The main make or break factor is weighting and feel. I simply cannot find one so I add weight.  I add 2 ounces to my irons cavity back pocket (Hogan Apex edge)  and what ever to the shaft of my woods to get a very heavy reading on the Ping swing weight balance beam. It is a pain to add weight to the woods heads so I do it on the shaft. (Some add by pouring/packing  into the shaft if steel)  As you might surmise from my summary weighting trumps face dimension by a mile. It is like anything.  A child size  guitar feel vs an adult. A finely balanced dart.  A balanced buther knife. A hammer that fits your hand like a glove.  The perfect weighting  is a priority.  Look up the component club maker how to sites and learn weighting techniques. I push the envelope well beyond what the club making world "suggests" is the acceptable range for weight. Both total weight and swing weight.  We all don't wear size 10 shoes. Nor should we all use clubs that weigh about the same plus or minus a couple grams. Come on a fly landing on the club head probably adds more weight.  The perfect weighting  is a priority not head size in cc

#5 HackerVance

HackerVance

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151241
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

Second on the original Ping Raptures.  I have the 3,5, and 7 woods.

#6 alwaysatrueswinger

alwaysatrueswinger

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154925
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Clevelands FL Launcher 13, 15 or 17 degrees have big heads if thats what youre after. The stock miyazaki shaft is very good. I prefer a bigger head on the 3 wood and a smaller on my 5 wood, so I use a FL Launcher 3 wood and a Titleist 906 F2 5 wood. Best 5 wood out there. I think McIlroy is using the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors