Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New Iron Grooves

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

• Guests
  •  
  • Member #:
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

I have read al about the new rules concerning grooves.
I understand that this will be the last year that the more aggressive grooves can be made, but that amateurs may still use them for quite some time.

Presently I am a newbie golfer and have a set of off brand starter clubs. Next year I am looking to upgrade to some nicer sticks and I got to thinking about this issue.

Would my game suffer horribly with the less aggressive grooves?

Or, since I'm not that great anyway, would this be a good time to start playing with less aggressive grooves and get accustomed to how they affect the ball?

Any advice is appreciated.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 712

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

Just get whatever you want. The groove rule changes only affect professionals and elite amateurs. It is not an issue for the average golfer and no amount of attention should be given to it. Period.

#3 Chicago Mac

Chicago Mac

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102108
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hi,  I just got new clubs this year.  At first I was thinking the same as you that I should get older model to get one more run at the old grooves since legal for many years for my level of golf.  Based on feedback I was told it makes very little difference with a little more difference in your wedges from the rough.  I ended up going with newer clubs with new grooves and have not noticed a difference at all and I'm a pretty good iron player and 12 hanicap.  While it probaly does not make much diference, but since my sand (56*) and lob (60*) wedges don't match my iron set, I did upgrade these two clubs to get one last run at the old grooves.
I'd recommend getting the newer clubs, but if you run into a great dal on an older model that will work also.  Be carefull wil older models as there won't be as many options (shaft flex, lenth, lie) on the self and getting fitted is so important and with newer clubs they can fit you and order form the factory.
Good luck, Mac

#4 Chicago Mac

Chicago Mac

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

View Postjaskanski, on 10 August 2010 - 11:44 AM, said:

Just get whatever you want. The groove rule changes only affect professionals and elite amateurs. It is not an issue for the average golfer and no amount of attention should be given to it. Period.

He was not asking about the rule - he was asking about the difference in performance in the old vs new grooves. Period.

#5 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 712

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

View PostChicago Mac, on 10 August 2010 - 12:00 PM, said:

View Postjaskanski, on 10 August 2010 - 11:44 AM, said:

He was not asking about the rule - he was asking about the difference in performance in the old vs new grooves. Period.

Sorry my mistake. I'm sure you know the difference in performance between the old and new grooves, it's effect on the average golfer, the conformity status of every club available and are willing to share this information? My advice would be to get an affordable set of clubs, a bit of tuition and enjoy the game. The groove rule, or moreover any club which has or has not an aggressive groove pattern will not make their game - quote - "suffer horribly" as a result. Fair enough?

• Guests
  •  
  • Member #:

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

No, actually I know none of those things. Like I said, I'm new at this and am looking for advice.

I think maybe I should just stay out of the forums, I never intended start an argument.

Thanx for all the comments.

#7 Chicago Mac

Chicago Mac

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

View PostHM2PAC, on 10 August 2010 - 01:13 PM, said:

No, actually I know none of those things. Like I said, I'm new at this and am looking for advice.

I think maybe I should just stay out of the forums, I never intended start an argument.

Thanx for all the comments.

Hi, Please don't feel you should stay out of this site as your question is a great example of of the purpose of this site.  You didn't start an argument as sometimes we just point out differences and it comes across stonger in writing than we mean it to sound - Jaskanski's and I are good and he was nice enough to give a good reply back.
Once you have a general idea what clubs your looking at just do a post and you'll get great feedback on what clubs would be best for you.  This also helps if you get recommnedations for a store clerk and you're uncomfortable or feel they don't know what they are talking about. My clubs are working so good for me based on the help and feedback I received for this site.  I can't say enough that getting proper fit is most important part of getting new clubs. When I say fititng it's nothing fancy and is free - it's geting the right shaft and flex of shaft for your swing speed, correct lenth of club and correct lie.  Depeding on where you live many courses have demo days with the reps for the big club companies and they have all kinds of clubs and shafts you can try.  They will put you on their monitors and determine what combonation works best. Good Luck, Mac

• Guests
  •  
  • Member #:

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

I just received the new Vokey wedges with the CC grooves i was sweating about. Hit them in the yard, full swing, 3 acres, and really liked them. Grass is freshly cut to about 1 inch and they stuck when hit properly. I will need to go a bit flatter on the lie as far as I can tell at the moment, but am very happy with what I saw. And the ground is like concrete here, grass or no grass, these things still stuck.

I would not sweat the new grooves, and just think, no more shredded covers! I hated chewing up balls around the greens and the approach shots, as that got expensive. I'll keep my new grooves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors